Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2) , Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: Timeline

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Salce's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Timeline

I was thinking if it was possible to make a rough timeline of Nurarihyon no Mago.

I'm not familiar with the eras of Japanese history, and I can't read Japanese to understand the character information in the RAW volumes, to see their age, so it's tricky.

But I thought I can list the important events and try to place them on time.

Heian period, around year 1000 AD.
    -Umewakamaru becomes Gyuuki.
    -The past of Seimei.

???
    -Gyuuki joins the Nurarihyon's Hyakki Yakou.

Edo Period. Around year 1608 AD.
    -Nurarihyon defeats Hagaromo Gitsune.
    -Rihan is born.

Edo Period. Around year 1700 AD.
    -Rihan defeats Sanmoto Gorōzaemon for first time.

Meiji Period. Around year 1900 AD.
    -Rihan fights again many times with the Hyaku Monogatari Clan.

8 years ago.
    -Sanmoto uses Yamabuki Otome body for resurrecting Hagaromo Gitsune.
    -Rihan is killed by Hagaromo Gitsune.

4 years ago.
    -Rikuo awakes his yōkai blood for the first time.

Well, that's just a rough.
    Can anyone add more details?
    Maybe somebody who knows more about the history of Japan can give exact dates.

Sorry for my bad english.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Sama_al_Azraq's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Timeline

Seeing Kubinashi, I think even Shiibashi doesn't really take a detail note of the timeline...
    We can compare the timeline in the story with real life history, but still there are some that not matches. Some of them that I can remember :

- 1000 years ago
    * Seimei flashback
    * 40 years after Kuzunoha's death → Seimei's death (supposed to be 1005 in real history, don't know if manga followed it)
    * 80 years after Kuzunoha's death → Kitsune's first reincarnation as a daughter of Taira family (she was drown so it's possible she is Taira no Tokuko, but the year doesn't match)

- ???
    * ±500 years ago, Nurarihyon born

- 400 years ago
    * Yodo-dono's death (1615 in real history, but Shiibashi said that after her death a double pretended as her, so it should be before)

- 320 years ago
    * Kubinashi joined Nura clan

- Genroku era
    * ±1690 - mandarin orange shortage in Edo, a merchant become wealthy by taking risk buying it cheap from Kinokuni despite the storm
    * ±1690 - Tsunayoshi instituting dog protection law (Kiyoemon mention about this in the manga)

- 310 years ago
    * Kurotabou joined Nura clan

- Kan'ei 2 (1749)
    * Sanmoto giving his heart to a human...

- 250 years ago
    * Nurarihyon offers a hand to Inugamigyobu but refused

- Bunka 2 (1805)
    * Inugamigyobu defeated (as it's a myth, there's some inconsistency, as Budaiyuu is the one who calm the rebellion, but he supposed to died at 1803)

* Rikuo born, Wakana (17)

* Rihan's death

* Rikuo's awaken

* Shikoku, Kyoto

- 2009 → present
    Last edited by Sama_al_Azraq; July 15, 2011 at 09:34 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Koshi_Inaba's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Where was it said that Seimei died 40 years after Kuzunoha?

Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Vol 16 omake.
    Vol 15 and 16 have 1 page rough drawing added about Kitsune reincarnation because Seimei's technique (she was not reincarnation youkai before). Kidoumaru etc met washed-ashore Kitsune in a beach and explain about the reincarnation and that she need to consume living heart to accumulate her strength and recreate Seimei's body and flesh.

Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for improving the timeline.

I have one question. Why do you say that Rikuo was born in 1995?
    It's said in the character information? Or you assumed it because the series begins in 2008 with Rikuo of almost 13 years?

(Sorry for my bad english)

Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

When Zen's place got burn down, it said Heisei 20 (2008).
    Although there's the possibility the year change with the time the manga get serialized, like it's 2011 now, if Shiibashi want it to.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member FanOfAniManga's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a timeline from the Nurarihyon no Mago Wiki. It's not complete, but there's a lot in it:
    http://nurarihyonnomago.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

Quote Originally Posted by Sama_al_Azraq View Post
    When Zen's place got burn down, it said Heisei 20 (2008).
    Although there's the possibility the year change with the time the manga get serialized, like it's 2011 now, if Shiibashi want it to.
    I haven't been able to find that anywhere when I read through the part. Do you know the specific page number of the chapter?
    Last edited by FanOfAniManga; July 17, 2011 at 07:17 PM.
    Check out these Wikis for info on select Jump manga:
    - ALL YOU NEED IS KILL
    - ASSASSINATION CLASSROOM
    - BEELZEBUB
    - ILLEGAL RARE
    - WORLD TRIGGER

Questions, comments or suggestions?
    Send a PM here, or an e-mail at fanofanimanga @gmail.com.

Translator 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member lynxian's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I found a pretty big inconsistency for when the series takes place. Like Sama_al_Azraq said, the databook says that Zen's house (ie. chapter 3) burns down in 2008. However, chapter 137 offers an indication that it is New Year's Eve 2010. The song that Maki and Natsumi are watching is Uemura Kana's "Toilet no Kamisama", which came out July 14, 2010. Additionally, Uemura performed the full version at the 61st Kōhaku Uta Gassen on December 31, 2010.

Hence, inconsistency. But maybe Shiibashi decided to retroactively adjust the manga to take place in the current year after all?

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member FanOfAniManga's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I've thought about the inconsistency again carefully, which, by the way, lied within the fact that Rikuo was 12 when Zen's house burnt down and was 13 just after the Kyoto Arc and before the Tsurara Clan was formed. I've been trying to think of a workaround to the inconsistency and I think I might've found one, albeit a weak one.

The events I described when Rikuo turned 13 immediately preceded the New Year's storyline in the order of the manga. The Tsurara Clan formation succeeded the Kyoto Arc by four months, as stated in Chapter 135. As Rikuo's birthday is September 23, and assuming the Kyoto battle occurred sometime in the summer (I don't know exactly when and if there's an exact timeline for the battle), the Tsurara Clan formation occurred late that year. We assume this entire year is 2008, based on Zen's house having burnt down earlier this year, as established already.

Now, as for the chapter regarding the New Year's Eve celebrations, it was published in the Weekly Shonen Jump magazine around the time of New Year's Eve, 2010. So likely, the events in the manga were meant to coincide with real life time, in 2010. Since Rikuo would need to be 15 at this point, there's no way the Tsurara Clan formation and the New Year's Eve celebrations occurred one after another in the same year, despite the implication that they do with their chapters succeeding each other.

So here's my workaround to the inconsistency:
    There's a TIME GAP between the Tsurara Clan formation (Chapter 136) and the New Year's Eve events (Chapter 137), in which everything from Chapter 136 and earlier happened in 2008, whereas the New Year's Eve events occurred in 2010 and everything beyond that in 2011. That way, we can account for the time Zen's house burnt down (2008) and the New Year's Eve celebrations coinciding with those in real life (2010).

Now, here's what makes my workaround weak:
    This workaround assumes a time skip had occurred, but remained unacknowledged in the manga. Therefore, it can only work perfectly if the manga assumes the time skip too. If later on in the manga, we explicitly see Rikuo below the age of 15 and no timeskip having ever occurred after all, this workaround is voided and the series is completely inconsistent, unless someone can think of something else around the inconsistency.

Actually, I wouldn't be too surprised if this inconsistency comes to materialize because I've found the planning of the overall storyline to be a bit sloppy.
    Last edited by FanOfAniManga; July 18, 2011 at 04:55 AM.
    Check out these Wikis for info on select Jump manga:
    - ALL YOU NEED IS KILL
    - ASSASSINATION CLASSROOM
    - BEELZEBUB
    - ILLEGAL RARE
    - WORLD TRIGGER

Questions, comments or suggestions?
    Send a PM here, or an e-mail at fanofanimanga @gmail.com.

Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that we should ignore what happens in chapter 137.

That was just a "special chapter" of new year. Probably Shiibashi wanted to put new year's events of real life as a cameo, forgetting that the manga plot was occuring in 2008.

So, if we don't see another sign that the manga currently is in 2011, we can assume that the story takes place in 2009, and the cameo of Chapter 137 was just a little mistake.

New Reply