Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Questions About American Football? Ask Here!

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Questions About American Football? Ask Here!

Thanks to miyi for answeirng all the new questions ^^

And yes, I love the flea flicker. It's a total surprise play.

Quote Quote:
    Can you give me a little tutorial of how "plays" work? For example, I'm familiar with the "quarterback sneak", "Hail Mary", and "blitz", which are the more common ones. And I know each team have unique plays, so if you don't mind, please share your knowledge, I've always wanted to learn more about these things.
    Is it how we plan these plays or just what type of plays we run that you want to know?

My team was in a transitional stage during my sophomore year from a T wing to more of a spread offense (due to changing quarterbacks). After that my team became known as a VERY innovative spread offense, because we had a genius at offensive coordinator (who became head coach later on) and enough players to make it work. My coach loved for the quarterback to get the ball to all our players, though he didn't forget the running game either. Our RBs became more athletic though, and were asked to catch the ball too. Oh, and we had wide receivers who could double as quarterbacks, so they knew how to throw the ball at the drop of a hat too. You can imagine just how many trick plays we could come up with that.

But I was mostly a defensive player. So unfortunately, I never really got to know much about how the offense did things. But I'll say this, it was always fun to watch them. I was a middle linebacker in a 4-3 defense, so it was pretty basic - it was just guesswork and deciding when to blitz and drop back. We had an outstanding defensive back field that could make up for any mistakes they made by speeding to the player or ball pretty quickly. Our DBs also doubled as wide receivers/quarterbacks (in fact they were usually the same players as our WRs) so they usually knew nearly everything about what routes the opposing WRs would run. We were known for having a "bend but don't break" defense.

As far as how we get plays, each of the players get a certain code in the signals we receive from the coaches that will tell us what the coaches want us to do. For example, if I got a "Dog" or "Fire" it tells me to blitz and what gap to try to run through to get to the quarterback. The best players also study what the other players will be required to do (we get a playbook over the week to study each play formation), so that they can make sure everything's going according to plan, or what exactly is happening that's going wrong, so that they can change plans even as they're playing on the field. But most high school players just depend on their coaches to be able to see all that for them.

(Note: Usually the middle linebacker of a defense is asked to be aware of all the formations and how they work for everybody, that's why they're the ones to receive the signals and tell everybody what to do on the field. Since our job is usually more basic and relies on instinct, that's probably why we're usually asked to carry the extra burden - because the others need to really concentrate on their responsibilities. In our case, however, because I'm deaf, I had to pass the responsibility on to the weakside linebacker.)

Keep in mind that even as an advanced an offense or defense as we might have had in my high school team, it's still nothing compared to most collegiate and pro teams have. These guys can change the style of their plays entirely on any one play. That's one of the reasons why players might do exceedingly well in high school, then just average in college, and then become a total bust in pro offense. Smarts and adaptability are becoming almost as important as talent now.

Finally, trick plays. My coach DID love to come up with these, especially for the championship games. It'll be like a play that we've practiced once every week the whole season and it would never work, and then when it's gametime, it actually works. Funny huh.
    Last edited by Gold Knight; April 27, 2007 at 11:25 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member miyi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks GK, that was informative. I have to get a hold of a coach's playbook one of these days. If I can be of any contribution to the world of football, since I lack any physical talent, maybe coaching would be the best for me.

Quote Quote:
    As far as how we get plays, each of the players get a certain code in the signals we receive from the coaches that will tell us what the coaches want us to do. For example, if I got a "Dog" or "Fire" it tells me to blitz and what gap to try to run through to get to the quarterback. The best players also study what the other players will be required to do (we get a playbook over the week to study each play formation), so that they can make sure everything's going according to plan, or what exactly is happening that's going wrong, so that they can change plans even as they're playing on the field. But most high school players just depend on their coaches to be able to see all that for them.
    That's how I imagined it would be like. New plays every week to study for, lol. I can imagine the quarterback had the biggest studying to do, since he fascilitates the team on the field.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Places other than America actually pay attention to American Football? Though I suppose my thread on that American Football World Cup must answer my own question, then.

(Rhetorical Question. Do not answer.)

[I'm American, by the way]

New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3