Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Questions About American Football? Ask Here!

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Luckas's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Questions About American Football? Ask Here!

Thanks, Gold Knight; very insightful.

Unconsciousness is my destiny, my joy but also my desperation.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Ichimaru Gin n Tonic's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Even with all that protection, it's hard to believe that football players managed to get back up after being tackled by a bigger and/or stronger lineman. A broken bone or teared muscle is nothing strange seeing how hard those players tackles their opponents. I saw a show on Discovery about a football player who got a broken neck and he was saved thanks to the immediate use of a certain drug (i'm not gonna mention the name of the drug here, since it might raise more doubts, speculation and questions i dont know how to answer to ). My question is, has there been fatal incident that caused the death of a player on the field?

Venom65437

I heard all QBs will be required to wear skirts this week!

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Luckas
    Thanks, Gold Knight; very insightful.
    You're welcome

Quote Originally Posted by ichimaru_gin_n_tonic
    Even with all that protection, it's hard to believe that football players managed to get back up after being tackled by a bigger and/or stronger lineman. A broken bone or teared muscle is nothing strange seeing how hard those players tackles their opponents. I saw a show on Discovery about a football player who got a broken neck and he was saved thanks to the immediate use of a certain drug (i'm not gonna mention the name of the drug here, since it might raise more doubts, speculation and questions i dont know how to answer to ). My question is, has there been fatal incident that caused the death of a player on the field?
    The last death of a pro football player that I have heard about was due to heat exhaustation. His name was Korey Stringer.

Heat is usually a football player's worst enemy, especially in summer workouts.

On the field, it's usually debilitating and devastating hits that don't even look like they were bad in the first place which cause paralysis - the latest was David Pollack of the Bengals (wouldn't be surprised if that was the player you had watched on TV. He broke his neck.

Bengals have been having bad luck with injuries lately huh - but actually, scary injuries aren't as commonplace as they used to, thanks to equipment improvements (especially in the helmet), but there's always a risk associated with playing any sport :/

Most American football death incidents are usually high school kids now because they don't have top of the line protection or skilled trainers who always know what they're doing, not like pro and college players have nowadays, anyway. Even so, considering there are like a million kids playing American football in the States, it still isn't too commonplace.[br]Posted on: December 30, 2006, 02:38:25 PM_________________________________________________
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom65437
    I heard all QBs will be required to wear skirts this week!
    Well, considering that quarterbacks are basically sitting ducks in the pocket most of the time, as they no longer can just throw the ball away unless they move outside of the pocket (or risk being penalized for "intentional grounding"), I think it's a good move. Of course, the quarterbacks that CAN run do usually take advantage, but still...

Considering that there are some quarterbacks out there on teams with inept offensive lines or wide receiving corps, it's probably for the best. Wasn't too long ago that David Carr, the quarterback of the Houston Texans, broke the record for being sacked the most of anyone in the history of NFL in a season, 76 times in his rookie year of 2002, and he's been sacked 200+ times... it's a rule some quarterbacks do need to be enforced.

It still doesn't stop quarterbacks from being hurt in any event. A lot of them still get hit when they don't know the defender is coming and they still have the ball.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Ichimaru Gin n Tonic's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, GK. Now I know why they put those big fan(s) near the players bench

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of what GK is saying is true. Back before rules were put in place that protect QBs, defensive players would try to stand QBs up long enough to go for the ball and try to force a fumble. While it it wasn't always the tacklers' intention, standing up the QB also leaves them vulnerable since most players secure the ball in their midsection. Back then they didn't gave such things as flak-jackets that protect a player's ribs and stomach, so this type of play was very dangerous.

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member manu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Concering chapter 216 of Eyeshield 21 there was questions about whether Sakuraba was in when he made the catch. He jumped to the sidelines and only managed to reach the goal with one foot. Would that be legal in the NFL or is that more collage football.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

In the NFL you must have two feet in bounds in order for it to be ruled a catch. In College and Highschool football you only need one foot in bounds.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member belle_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

i have never seen an american football match before,so there`s a few things that i don`t really understand about its rules.i read in the internet about american football rules,and it goes like this:
    A player carrying the ball is downed when any of the following occurs:

The ballcarrier is tackled; that is, any part of his body other than the hands, forearms, or feet touches the ground after he is touched by an opponent. (In college a player is considered down whether or not an opponent causes him to fall.) Unlike the use of the word tackle in other sports, if the opposing player fails to down the ballcarrier, it is called an attempted tackle.

and my question concerning ES21 chapter 184,right before the touchdown made by juumonji-kun(coolest juumonji`s moment ever...),he was tackled by agon.i noticed his knees were touching the ground.is knee considered other part of the body other than the hands, forearms, or feet?

and another one,does the clock stops when a player is downed?

rather long,huh?i hope you`ll understand my question and help me to solve it.
    thank you!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member miyi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

belle_chan, I don't watch EyeShield, but I do know a little bit of American Football, so I'd be happy to answer your question. (note: if anyone catch me make an error, please correct me).

Quote Quote:
    and my question concerning ES21 chapter 184,right before the touchdown made by juumonji-kun(coolest juumonji`s moment ever...),he was tackled by agon.i noticed his knees were touching the ground.is knee considered other part of the body other than the hands, forearms, or feet?

and another one,does the clock stops when a player is downed?
    answer:

NFL rules: when a defensive player "tackles" the ball carrier(offensive player), and the ball carrier's "knees" (one or both knees) touches the ground, then it is considered a "down". Unlike College football, if the ball carrier "falls" to the ground without being "touched" or "tackled" by a defensive player, then it is not considered a "down", so he can continue to run with the football.

When a player is "downed", the clock keeps running, unless...

In a situation where the "referees" are uncertain whether it is a first down or not, then the clock is temporarily stopped, so the officials can move the "chains" to measure the 10 yards.

College rules: when the ball carrier's knees (one or both knees) touches the ground, it is considered a "down". Unlike NFL football, if the ball carrier "falls" to the ground without being "touched" or "tackled" by a defensive player, then it is still considered a "down", and he cannot continue to run with the football. In other words, a player is "down" if he gets "tackled", or if he simply "falls" to the ground without being "tackled".

When a player is "downed", the clock keeps running, unless...

In a situation where the "referees" are uncertain whether it is a first down or not, then the clock is temporarily stopped, so the officials can move the "chains" to measure the 10 yards.

Clock Management Rules for NFL and College Football:

For NFL football, the clock stops only when…

* at the end of incomplete passing plays
    * when a player goes out of bounds
    * when a penalty is called
    * during team timeouts and TV timeouts (commercials)
    * 2 minute warning (for every quarter, the last 2 minutes there is an official timeout).
    * or as already mentioned, when there is uncertainty with officiating, i.e. they need to measure the “first down” using the 10-yard chain.
    *injuries on the field

For College football, the clock stops only when…

* at the end of incomplete passing plays
    * when a player goes out of bounds
    * when a penalty is called
    * during team timeouts and TV timeouts (commercials)
    * or as already mentioned, when there is uncertainty with officiating, i.e. they need to measure the “first down” using the 10-yard chain.
    *injuries on the field
    * on first down completions

Further Notes:

*In College football, the “clock stops” on all first down completions, and is started again as soon as the “ready-for play” signal is given by the referee. In NFL football, the clock “continues to run” when the first down is made.

*there is no “2 minute warning” (official timeout) in College football.

recommended websites with basic rules/regulations:

Beginner's Guide to Football (NFL):

http://www.nfl.com/fans/rules/basics

Introduction to American College Football Rules:

http://homepages.cae.wisc.edu/~dwilson/rsfc/intro/

Sorry if I made it more confusing, so in a nutshell, this is what I said:

since the guy in EyeShield was "tackled" and his knees touched the ground, then it is definitely a "down".

In NFL, the clock keeps running on every "downs", including "first downs". In College, the clock stops only on a "first down".

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by miyi; April 14, 2007 at 04:47 PM.

Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you very much,miyi!
    now,i understands about the rules better.

Quote Originally Posted by miyi View Post
    since the guy in EyeShield was "tackled" and his knees touched the ground, then it is definitely a "down".

In NFL, the clock keeps running on every "downs", including "first downs". In College, the clock stops only on a "first down".
    [/b]
    so,that`s mean juumonji(the guy in EyeShield) was downed.in the manga,after his knees touched the ground,he just a few centimetres from the end zone.then,he takes one last step to obtain a touchdown dragging along the player who tackled him.
    is that considered a touchdown?or shouldn`t the play is stopped since he was downed?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

If indeed his "knees" touched the ground and his opponent "tackled" him, it should have been a "down" and the play should have "stopped".

Therefore, NO touchdown.

But hey, this is anime, so it's probably just an error. In real life, that shouldn't have happened, unless the referee didn't see the "knees" touch the ground.

Usually, when there is a controversial play, the team that will benefit from having the play reviewed, will request a "challenge". A challenge is a request to the officials, to review a play using "instant replay". In order to "overturn" a call, the instant replay must show "conclusive evidence", otherwise, the "ruling on the field" stands. If the "challenger" loses this request, his team will be charged a full timeout. If he wins, and the call is "overturned", then he is NOT charged with a timeout. (btw, this "instant replay" rule is for NFL. I'm not sure how it works in College football).

If the referees didn't see the "knees" touch the ground, and no "challenge" is called, then it is a touchdown, and he got away with it.

Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

well,thanks again miyi!
    finally,i can sleep with a clear mind..hehe
    i`ve been wondering about that since a long time ago.
    hope i can watch a real american football game one day!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

^yeah no problem belle_chan

Ok, I have a question, those who have played football ought to know about this, or at least have a little bit of knowledge...

Can you give me a little tutorial of how "plays" work? For example, I'm familiar with the "quarterback sneak", "Hail Mary", and "blitz", which are the more common ones. And I know each team have unique plays, so if you don't mind, please share your knowledge, I've always wanted to learn more about these things.

As a spectator who only gets to watch football on TV, I don't get to learn any of these insider knowledge.

Oh, trick plays would be nice

Thanks.

Venom65437

The flea flicker is the greatest play in football. If you've ever seen it, it's pretty self explanatory...

New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast