Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dantalian no Shoka

News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Dantalian no Shoka

Dantalian no Shoka
    English: The Mystic Archives of Dantalian
    Synonyms: Bibliotheca Mystica de Dantalian, Dantalian's Bookshelf
    Japanese: ダンタリアンの書架

Synopsis: Hugh Anthony Disward inherits an old mansion and a personal library from his grandfather. In the basement of the mansion, he meets a mysterious girl, Dalian. She is a Dantalian and a gateway to "Dantalian's bookshelf", which stores the prohibited books of the demons.

"Gensho (Illusory Books)", the prohibited books, endanger the balance of the world, but people are fascinated by the taboo. Hugh and Dalian solve the cases involving Gensho with their ability to access the Dantalian bookshelf.

Source: MAL

Number of episodes: 13
    Producers: Gainax
    Genre: Fantasy

Japanese Cast:

Spoiler show

Japanese Staff:
    Spoiler show

Source: ANN

Episode 1
    Being a fantasy anime, I don't expect it to be realistic yet I was nitpicking at some parts because it wasn't logical. But it is fantasy, afterall.
    I wasn't particularly looking forward to this anime or anything. I just found it, watch it and(never though I will) like the first episode.
    This series gives off the gosick vibes and even the female character looks quite similar to victorique(but I wouldn't say completely, she's very different). But the main character is no Kujo.
    Of course, I wasn't expecting much when I went in but I was surprised by the ideas. Like monsters coming out from the books and using books to "fight", that is interesting.
    When I say it's similar to gosick, I also found out while watching that it is rather different.
    First, this anime seems to be really dark and second, it looks like alot of fantasy elements will come into play in the later parts of the story.
    According to the summary, there will be mystery but I'm not sure what
    I don't really expect much from this anime and may drop it but I will still watch the next episode.

By the way..the ending song creeped me out.
    Last edited by Zeltrax; July 29, 2011 at 06:58 PM.

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH's Most Friendly Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity destiny4ever's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dantalian no Shoka

After watching the first two episodes of this series….I’m sold on this anime!

- The opening of this anime is …simply wonderful....that song is…almost ethereal. I can’t wait to listen to the full version of the song.

- Having Daisuke Ono as part of the cast is a big plus for me, he is great!! Maybe that’s why I like Huey so much. And after watching the flashback of Huey’s past in episode 1…I must say I’m very curious about it...it seems Huey has been through a lot of painful things...

- While it is true that this series has some similarities with Gosick…it is very different at the same time….it’s darker and there are a lot more elements of fantasy than in Gosick.

- And yes, the ED is really creepy. It seems as it was taken straight out of a horror movie.
    Last edited by destiny4ever; July 23, 2011 at 10:01 PM.
    Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan and for my awesome sig, Reverzer0!

Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Episode 2 is interesting. I got to know more about how things work in the dantalian world.
    For me there's more to what this episode is trying to convey, like for instance, the whole curse thing with elesa(is that her name..), there's really no such thing as curses except her family which is the reason why she turned out to be who she is today, obviously she must have suffered through alot and eventually became mentally unstable.
    Another thing that episode 2 tells me is that this series will have alot to do with books. I can't say I really enjoy the fight with the books as it seems awkward but the animation scenes when the spell from the book is being cast is nice to watch and I also noticed that some parts of it can be related to the current situation.

Quote Originally Posted by destiny4ever View Post
    - The opening of this anime is …simply wonderful....that song is…almost ethereal. I can’t wait to listen to the full version of the song.
    The opening song is wonderful but some parts doesn't fit well with the scenes and then, it felt really weird and out of place. But it's still a fresh change

Quote Quote:
    - Having Daisuke Ono as part of the cast is a big plus for me, he is great!! Maybe that’s why I like Huey so much. And after watching the flashback of Huey’s past in episode 1…I must say I’m very curious about it...it seems Huey has been through a lot of painful things...
    Not sure why you say that Huey has been through a lot but I can tell that he is a very sensible, mature and knowledgeable individual .

Quote Quote:
    - And yes, the ED is really creepy. It seems as it was taken straight out of a horror movie.
    I skipped it for episode 2

Dalian is a funny character, I laughed when she said elesa has a child body and she made that assumption of an affair.

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zeltrax View Post
    For me there's more to what this episode is trying to convey, like for instance, the whole curse thing with elesa(is that her name..),
    Her name is Estella and I agree, there is more than what appears on the surface in regards to the episodes of this series.

Quote Quote:
    there's really no such thing as curses except her family which is the reason why she turned out to be who she is today, obviously she must have suffered through alot and eventually became mentally unstable.
    Dalian's analysis and her hypothetical explanation as to why Estella and the women in her family became assassins was a very plausible one. Estella was raised in a very strict environment; her grandma was very mean…she was so traumatized as a result of the way she was raised.

Quote Quote:
    but the animation scenes when the spell from the book is being cast is nice to watch
    ITA. And I also like the change in Dalian’s voice during her transformation/ when she opens the gates of the library.

Quote Quote:
    Not sure why you say that Huey has been through a lot but I can tell that he is a very sensible, mature and knowledgeable individual .
    In episode 1, during the scenes that followed Huey inserting the key in Dalian’s chest, if you pay close attention you can see glimpses of Huey’s past. There is a lot of death in his past.

Quote Quote:
    Dalian is a funny character, I laughed when she said elesa has a child body and she made that assumption of an affair.
    Maybe I’m wrong, but I think Dalian was right about Estella having an affair with her uncle and she said that comment about Estella’s body because she was jealous.
    Last edited by destiny4ever; July 23, 2011 at 11:30 PM.

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner alice&uncas's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I just got done watching the first episode.
    I will say that this anime is interesting, makes me want to keep watching it.
    Like how it incoperates the history of books (I'm a bookaholic).

In a way it reminds of Zatch Bell and Deathnote because the book contains a power to destroy demons.
    The ED sounds pretty cool.
    About to watch the second episode.

9. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

It's weird, but I sort of like it when Dalian says "yes" in English. Normally I dislike silly catchphrases (unless it's a comedy series), but I love how Sawashiro Miyuki pronounces the word. Now that I think about it, isn't strange for a character's catchphrase be the word "yes" ?

I've just finished watching the 2nd episode, which I enjoyed just as I did the 1st episode. I love stories that focus on the arcane and in the case of this story, mystic books and tomes. I also love how dark this series is, plus the fact that it's set in 1920's Britain (I like stories that are set in the past ). The leads are great, as is the animation. Both the voice actors and studio did a great job. The backgrounds are a little weird though. They seem to be filtered photographs. I'd much rather see drawn art, but at least this way they're quite realistic.

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

You should recommend me more anime like this, Zelx. You know I love it. <3 Gonna try this anime and post my comments later.~ From the summary and the genre, it seems to be pretty interesting, things which seem to be my type. Let's see if it's true. XD

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

OH WOW. This is great. It's a good thing there's an anime like this after Gosick ended.

And yeah, the first time I looked at the picture, the first thing that came into my mind was Gosick coz there's a little girl in Victorian dress and a man is accompanying her. But after I watch it, I know this is nothing like Gosick though it has similar vibes with all the mysteries and so on. But I think the message of both anime is the same: If you want to be knowledgeable, read books! XD

The thing I like most about this anime is it's mostly about books!!! (I'm an enthusiastic reader. ) Oh, and the music too (except for the ending song. thank goodness I didn't watch it at night). I love Ono's voice when he reads the books and the illustrations that accompany his reading.

But one thing... Looking at Dalian, I keep thinking about Victorique coz they both are little girl in Victorian dresses and tsundere. o.O Though for appearance, I still prefer the golden fairy. (and what's with the location of the padlock? On her chest?? Thank goodness she's not an adult woman.)

And I feel weird too when I listen to Dalian saying "Yes". I keep thinking about Sebastian Michaelis (and his "Yes, my Lord") and it's really not helping that Ono is there too. *sigh*

Anyway, thanks to Zeltrax for the recommendation. A mystery and book lover like me certainly can't miss to watch this anime.

I'm looking forward to the next eps. I want to see more recurring characters than those two.

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice OP. I think it's Italian? Or Latin? XD The ED sure is creepy. I only listened for a few seconds then skipped it right away. =___=

Ah, glad I discovered this thread. Based on the two episodes so far, I enjoyed it. There is a balance in the adventure/fight, the comedy, even somehow creepy scenes (that last scene with Miss Lilburn. Her pale and happy face while killing people is just... ). But altogether combined, it's interesting! The idea of fighting monsters who come out from a book with some kind of spell from another book is funny, but enjoyable. The characters as well. Huey seems to be someone easy-going and he took care of Dalian well enough despite her characteristics. The environment of nobles and old times stresses the creepy part, but also makes it quite fresh.

I don't really understand why Huey has to go as far as refusing to shake hands with people using his right hand. I mean, sure, there is that sign on his right hand which also holds the key to the library, true? But I don't really think people would notice it... The fact that he refused to use his right hand is the suspicious one. Or is it a tradition to shake hands using left hand? XD

Aaanyway, definitely looking forward for next episode! ^__^

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    Nice OP. I think it's Italian? Or Latin? XD The ED sure is creepy. I only listened for a few seconds then skipped it right away. =___=
    It's Latin. Its title is "Cras Nunquam Scire". I can't wait for the full song to release in the end of August. I found the song's score sheet. (but it's too bad that I can't play piano.)

The idea of fighting monsters who come out from a book with some kind of spell from another book is funny, but enjoyable.
    Actually it's not a new thing. There was a story too (I forget what story though, it's long time ago) where the character fights the magical enemy by reading a special part in a book and that book was written is some kind of weird language. (we can see in the anime that Huey was reading some archaic writings, right?) But anyway, I personally think it's really cool. I really want to be able to fight like that, just stand there and read, no running or jumping or anything physically exhausting. XD

I don't really understand why Huey has to go as far as refusing to shake hands with people using his right hand. I mean, sure, there is that sign on his right hand which also holds the key to the library, true? But I don't really think people would notice it... The fact that he refused to use his right hand is the suspicious one. Or is it a tradition to shake hands using left hand? XD
    Maybe it's because he's actually left-handed? Well, that's my theory for now coz it doesn't really make sense if he declines to use his right hand because of the sign. He wears gloves, so it's already hidden. Right?
    Last edited by yukihime03; July 29, 2011 at 12:08 PM.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yukihime03 View Post
    Actually it's not a new thing. There was a story too (I forget what story though, it's long time ago) where the character fights the magical enemy by reading a special part in a book and that book was written is some kind of weird language. (we can see in the anime that Huey was reading some archaic writings, right?) But anyway, I personally think it's really cool. I really want to be able to fight like that, just stand there and read, no running or jumping or anything physically exhausting. XD
    But it's equally exhausting like we have to cast a magic spell. Huey looks so tired after reading two books (well, the other one can't be called book, literally) at the second episode.

Maybe it's because he's actually left-handed? Well, that's my theory for now coz it doesn't really make sense if he declines to use his right hand because of the sign. He wears gloves, so it's already hidden. Right?
    Do left-hand people shake hands using their left hand as well? O.o
    Right, of course. But at the moment Huey gave his left hand to shake hand with that man, it showed that the man looked into his right hand, and got somehow suspicious.

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

But it's equally exhausting like we have to cast a magic spell. Huey looks so tired after reading two books (well, the other one can't be called book, literally) at the second episode.

Do left-hand people shake hands using their left hand as well? O.o
    Right, of course. But at the moment Huey gave his left hand to shake hand with that man, it showed that the man looked into his right hand, and got somehow suspicious.
    That's why I said "anything physically exhausting" since my mental strength is undoubtedly stronger than my physical strength.

Uh, maybe? I don't know. The man indeed became suspicious but he couldn't see anything because Huey's hands were covered by his gloves. If Huey really wanted to hide the sign, isn't it even stranger to decline shaking hands using the right hand coz anyone will be (at least) wondering? But... ah well, if it's quite an important detail, I think we'll know the reason later.

---------- Post added July 31, 2011 at 12:39 AM ---------- Previous post was July 30, 2011 at 12:34 AM ----------

Eps 3!!

Ah, finally I can know the meaning of the op song... It's beautiful.

Anyway.. Good to see a new character, Camilla... She's quite a unique person with her fashion sense.
    And... we got to see more sides of Dalian... She's really greedy for sweets, eh? (a trait which I find similar to Victorique's though Victorique is not as greedy as Dalian. *sigh* I can't help to compare her and Victorique since they are similar in some ways.) Hahaha, it's really easy to bribe her. XD

A bit disappointed with this eps though.. Nothing much happens. The Queen of the Night takes care of everything so Huey doesn't get to do any fight. But it's fun to watch how Dalian and Huey bicker. XD

Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

OH WOW. This is great. It's a good thing there's an anime like this after Gosick ended.

And yeah, the first time I looked at the picture, the first thing that came into my mind was Gosick coz there's a little girl in Victorian dress and a man is accompanying her. But after I watch it, I know this is nothing like Gosick though it has similar vibes with all the mysteries and so on. But I think the message of both anime is the same: If you want to be knowledgeable, read books! XD
    Not to mention that it is also similar to pandora hearts, I find Dalian and Alice to be quite similar in some ways but I like Alice more for now.
    Maybe its as dark as Pandora too.

Quote Quote:
    The thing I like most about this anime is it's mostly about books!!! (I'm an enthusiastic reader. ) Oh, and the music too (except for the ending song. thank goodness I didn't watch it at night). I love Ono's voice when he reads the books and the illustrations that accompany his reading.
    Ono is a great va

Quote Quote:
    Anyway, thanks to Zeltrax for the recommendation. A mystery and book lover like me certainly can't miss to watch this anime.
    Haha, you're welcome.

Quote Quote:
    I'm looking forward to the next eps. I want to see more recurring characters than those two.
    I think Camilia will be a recurring character and that those kids from episode 3 might appear again.

Quote Quote:
    Anyway.. Good to see a new character, Camilla... She's quite a unique person with her fashion sense.
    I lol'd when Dalian say it'll be the end of the world(or something similar) if those clothes become famous because ..they really did

Quote Quote:
    And... we got to see more sides of Dalian... She's really greedy for sweets, eh? (a trait which I find similar to Victorique's though Victorique is not as greedy as Dalian. *sigh* I can't help to compare her and Victorique since they are similar in some ways.) Hahaha, it's really easy to bribe her. XD
    I like her side hair popping out whenever she sees sweets and its funny that she had to wait so long for her scones.
    Quote Quote:
    A bit disappointed with this eps though.. Nothing much happens. The Queen of the Night takes care of everything so Huey doesn't get to do any fight. But it's fun to watch how Dalian and Huey bicker. XD
    Yep, the character interactions were fun to watch.
    I hope the first half of this episode will be related to the story afterwards, I'm interested in what the kids with the power of wisdom can do.

Episode 3 was funny, I like the reference that dalian made on the burglars, the pig, the monkey, and the river god
    It's a reference to "Journey to the west" a very famous book about an Indian monk having a man-monkey and pig and a river god accompanying him to collect scriptures.

21. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Episode 3

This episode was pretty enjoyable.

- The first part of the story showed us that knowledge is power…and sometimes if said power is used inappropriately it can turn people into “monsters”. I felt that the first part of the ep was left unconcluded that’s why I have a feeling we might see the children again in future eps.

- Dalian is very similar to Victorique, they both share their fondness for sweets and the way in which they show their jealousy.

- Camilla reminded me of Avril from Gosick, and when Dalian started to call Camilla names I couldn’t help but remember the way in which Victorique used to call Avril names as well.

- While it will be very difficult to avoid the comparisons between Gosick and this series, one thing is certain “Camilla is no Avril, Huey is no Kujo and Dalian is no Victorique.” (Guardian Enzo) So I’m expecting that the more I watch this series, the less I’ll compare it to Gosick and then finally I will be able to watch them as two completely different series.

23. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Not to mention that it is also similar to pandora hearts, I find Dalian and Alice to be quite similar in some ways but I like Alice more for now.
    Maybe its as dark as Pandora too.
    Ah, the part that I found similar to Pandora Hearts was the part where little Huey met the librarian (?) of Dantalian no Shoka. Both anime showing boys who met a mysterious character in a mysterious realm. (though the guardian is nowhere as weird as the Abyss and Huey is certainly not terrified of her)

Ono is a great va
    One of da best. XD

I lol'd when Dalian say it'll be the end of the world(or something similar) if those clothes become famous because ..they really did
    Yeah, right. At least we find out that Dalian does not have clairvoyance ability. XD

I like her side hair popping out whenever she sees sweets and its funny that she had to wait so long for her scones.
    She is quite demanding though... She won't let go of the scones.

Yep, the character interactions were fun to watch.
    I hope the first half of this episode will be related to the story afterwards, I'm interested in what the kids with the power of wisdom can do.
    Those kids are scary but I hope they really have wisdom. At least, like they said, they aren't stupid enough to do crime. But who knows?

Episode 3 was funny, I like the reference that dalian made on the burglars, the pig, the monkey, and the river god
    It's a reference to "Journey to the west" a very famous book about an Indian monk having a man-monkey and pig and a river god accompanying him to collect scriptures.
    Hahaha, yeah... I LOLed hard at that part too. The burglars obviously doesn't get what she means and they let her babbling about it.

---------- Post added at 11:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by destiny4ever View Post
    The first part of the story showed us that knowledge is power…and sometimes if said power is used inappropriately it can turn people into “monsters”.
    You sure like to say cool things, destiny4ever... "Knowledge is power." Can't agree more with that.

- Dalian is very similar to Victorique, they both share their fondness for sweets and the way in which they show their jealousy.

- Camilla reminded me of Avril from Gosick, and when Dalian started to call Camilla names I couldn’t help but remember the way in which Victorique used to call Avril names as well.
    Moreover, Camilla and Avril both have short hair. But I think the similarities end there coz Camilla and Avril have different backgrounds and (obviously) fashion sense. And their reactions to jealousy are different too... While Avril often retorts, Camilla bribes. XD I got to say I like Camilla more.

- While it will be very difficult to avoid the comparisons between Gosick and this series, one thing is certain “Camilla is no Avril, Huey is no Kujo and Dalian is no Victorique.” (Guardian Enzo) So I’m expecting that the more I watch this series, the less I’ll compare it to Gosick and then finally I will be able to watch them as two completely different series.
    Yep, that's right. Even though I find some similarities, I also find some differences between Dantalian's and Gosick's character. I can refrain from comparing Huey and Kujo coz they are nowhere similar but it's a bit hard for Dalian and Victorique coz they are quite similar but I also hope that as the series progresses, the characters will grow and we can see them as who they are, not shadows of other characters.

25. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast