Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply

Thread: The Dr Who Thread

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

The Dr Who Thread

I figured this forum needs a Dr Who discussion thread.

I picked it up a while ago and have seen almost all the serials since the show started again. I have seen series 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6 so far (first Dr who I knew was matt smith). Gotta say, when I picked up this series I never expected to enjoy it so damn much. I would catch a reference to the show every now and then and just think "wow, who would ever watch that?" because it just seemed so absurd. My only real disappointment so far is that there hasn't been an arc in which Smith's Dr who faces the master. I would love to see how that plays out (tennant's doctor against the master was awesome).

Any thoughts on the series?

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Aazholh's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Dr Who Thread

Used to love the old series as a kid. Truly absurd, low-budget, sci fi. But the Doctor always had enough charm to pull it off. My favorite Doctors were Pertwee, Baker, and Davison.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't really seen any of the old doctors so far. For me it has just been eccleston, tennant and smith up to now. Of the 3 my favorite so far is tennant (which is not surprising) although smith is IMO pretty close to him. Well, I am halfway through the seventh series and I do admit smith is getting a little tedius. He is too arrogant at times and it somehow it seems like the doctor should appear cleverer.

Some time ago I read an article about how each doctor transformation was in a way a progression of what the one before was. Kinda like the transformation helped him adapt to his circumstances or something. Perhaps it makes sense in the regard that each actor basically picks up after the previous one and has to add his own thing. So you start with the 9th doctor who was a traumatized by the time war.... Then he got happier and fell in love with a young girl and when he regenerated he turned into tennant's doctor who was more human, jolly and younger. So then with all his victories, failures and the complications of love tennant turned into smith's doctor who was more arrogant, perhaps more alien, and his reaction to a human's advances would be an outright rejection. Wonder how the 12th will be....

One thing I would have loved to see with smith's doctor is him facing the master.... Its a shame barely anyone from tennant's time made an appearance. No jack, no jones or mickey.... At least jack would have deserved an appearance here IMO. Smith's doctor was the one more prone to anger and outright emotional responses, him exacting his wrath over the master would have been worth seeing. Then again it would depend on what happened once the drumming stopped....

---------- Post added November 04, 2013 at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was October 30, 2013 at 10:19 AM ----------

Ok, finally caught up with the seventh series... Now just waiting for the day of the doctor and the christmass special... I really hope the master turns out to be behind everything this time around. And I wouldn't mind seeing the face of boe. I wonder what sort of circumstances reunites the two doctors with their supposedly unreachable companions.

I admit though, I really thought there would be a couple more people into this series in the forum.

---------- Post added November 28, 2013 at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was November 04, 2013 at 08:45 PM ----------

Anyone seen the 50 year anniversary special?

Spoiler show

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Lothario 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Country
    Costa Gravas
    Post Thanks / Like

So it's taken me a while, but I just saw the Christmas special, which serves as Matt Smith's final appearance as the Doctor. It was good, one of the few episodes of his incarnation of Doctor that I had seen; always been a fun of his comedic deliveries and wit; which was all seen here.

I think in the end though, there will always been comparisons between his bowing out episode and David Tennant's; which isn't really fair but thats how it is. For me personally, I preferred Tennant's. Maybe because I followed that whole story through the years, or just because how sad the actual episode was.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

As far as good byes go I would actually prefer smith's. Tennants was very sad and seeing him visit his companions was awesome however it was always kinda off for me. It ends with him saying "I don't want to go" which is perhaps consistent with his incarnation of the doctor (which is described a couple of times as vain by the 11th) however it is a terrible good bye. It shows him as having things left to do, as if he had more stuff to tell, as if tennant was being kicked of the show for some reason. In turn smith gave an actual good bye, he made the point that change was necessary and inevitable and had to be embraced while at the same time cherishing the past. An awesome opening for cabaldi, which is better than what smith got from tennant's good bye. Its basically a "I don't want to go" vs "Hey, whats to come is awesome, here is cabaldi for you". I do prefer tennant's doctor over smiths however I do think a lot of it had to do with the difference in writing and perhaps the fact that tennant's was a more "human" doctor that got deeply emotionally involved with his companions while smith was always a more alien doctor that only actually had a romantic relationship with river, fellow derange alien psycopath (perhaps one of the best characters in the series altogether, but completely inhuman and unrelatable for the most part).

---------- Post added January 09, 2014 at 05:32 PM ---------- Previous post was December 31, 2013 at 01:57 AM ----------

One of the things I have been wondering about the last special
    Spoiler show

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TivqZTq5u6Y

Well, for anyone who cares. It seems like the new doctor will be a rather darker one. It makes sense in a way, the last two doctors were rather cheerie safe for their moments of grief or pain when remembering the time war. Seeing that this doctor was born right after fighting his longest war (800 years or so) it makes sense that he would be somewhat like the 9th as far as being dark and whatnot. One thing that seems weird though is that the doctor consistently calls himself old... Each incartnation can last over 1000 years from what we have seen and perhaps spending the entire time fighting a war by yourself is not ideal for aging. So the doctor is 2000 years old (although I don't get the impression his time fighting the time war is accounted for in his alleged age) but he has already gone through 14 regenerations... It seems like most time lords would be at about their 3 regeneration at this point. For me it is weird that the doctor would be old by time lord standards. I guess he has spent too much time with humans?

New Reply