Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: The Legend of Korra

MH's Best Reviewer MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Legend of Korra

Quote Originally Posted by otomo20 View Post
    ^ Again I thought Aang died so young because of his time stuck in the iceberg, Korra even says it in the first episode of season 1 when she tells Katara " Aang's time in the iceberg really caught up with him didn't it?"
    Yeah it was the time in the iceberg but the reason that shortened his life was that the Avatar state was on all that time using up cosmic energy and sapping away his life force. It was basically the cosmic energy driven defense mechanism that kept him alive in that ice. Which is no small thing...unless you compare it to turning into a 10 story glowing rockem sockem robot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rikudou King View Post
    That's what I meant, that she learn about it there and thus could get past the last step. I presume it was among the memories being shown before she started mediating.

Yeah, Aang tried to learn it so he could control the Avatar state. Korra just used it to access the raw cosmic power.

I think that might have been unique to Aang, because none of the other known Avatars were shown issues with freely activating the state. Both Roku and the previous Water Avatar hadn't given up love.
    Yeah, I'm not sure. It could have just been related to how young Aang was relative to the others.
    Last edited by Jammin; November 16, 2013 at 10:58 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

The main problem was convenient timing for everything. Korra fails in the last second, Korra comes back in the right second to safe her friends, just as... It's not great writing, but completely okay for a kids show.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Freid's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

...So Vaatu transforms into a cosmic Megatron...and Korra transforms into Dr. Manhattan......and then they start shooting laser beams at each other.....from their chest....

Guh!.. Felt like I was watching a power rangers episode.
    Predictions: Smoker | One Piece
    Why So Serious?

Grand Secretariat 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

As pointed already, I too really enjoyed Bolin over the course of the last 4 episodes I watched. His saving of the president, all the comedic moments and professing his love for Desna, which seemed like excellent acting but turned out to be real on certain levels deep down.

Don't really know what to make of the whole Jinora situation; since it was revealed that she had a very high spiritual awareness, her character has grown into something that hasn't really been addressed in the show, as evident with the last episode and the moments Jammin and Rikudou mentioned; with the giant ball of light and such. I guess we will see that hopefully been tackled next season.

Two things that really disappointed me were Bumi and the lack of Azula in the episodes; I really thought that the introduction of the Fog of Lost Souls would lead us to seeing a craze-driven Azula roaming and seeking revenge against her mother, but sadly all we got was General Zhao; which was quite funny but sad for him.
    My second disappointment came from how Bumi's flute ability was so rashly underdevelopped like that; I really would've liked to see him use that to help out and have a bigger role in the finale. Though his actions did inadvertently free the group and destroy the campsite .

I was rather worried about the level of animation during latter part of the season but it all went down really well; the fights were so well done; one of my highlights were Unalaq vs Tonraq during the rebel attack. I do love my waterbending fights and Unalaq is such a great master at that; which is evident when his avatar faces off against Korra's.

A few things I hope get shown next season is more Bumi, more General Iroh, we need to find out wher Varrick and Zhu Li have gone off to. Spirit World-wise, maybe Koh will be venturing into the human world? though I doubt that old spirits such has him would leave the comfort of the "nest" they have built for millennias. I want an encounter that will bring Koh and his mother back to meet each other. I've already mentioned Jinora's connection being resolved and just generally all the main cast's growth from what they've learned through this season. Especially Korra and Tenzin. Above all of this though, Bolin simply needs more screen time

5. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Rikudou King's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

So Book 3 will be called Change, and will be dealing with the new status quo of the world, as expected.

There are also rumors that we'll find out what happen with Azula, the season will feature the Earth Kingdom which now has a queen, Lin will have a more prominent role, and that the main antagonist will be female.

7. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

You might like this?

And a bonus:
    Spoiler: GTS:Republic City show
    Last edited by Schabrak; November 24, 2013 at 04:51 AM.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, just caught up with the legend of korra. Anyone else gets the impression that bending has been severely toned down in the second series? In the old one you would see team avatar mowing through benders and ty lee just walking by their attacks like they weren't even there... Nowadays it doesn't seem like a single bender or fighter can actually do that much. I guess it would make sense to some degree considering aang started out as a airbending master, toph was the strongest bender of all (with only bumi being a match) and katara became an actual master pretty quick.... But then again some people who should be masters don't appear to be that overpowered in regards to everyone. Tenzin has shown some cool moves although he has not actually shown the same raw power aang displayed as an airbender even if he has used more advanced techniques. Does not appear to be of the same caliber as toph on any accounts (although that is perhaps understandable considering everything) and mako does not appear to be half the firebender anyone from the old series was.

Wonder what the next book is going to be about. Perhaps it will be named after bending subcaterogies? Lava, metal, sand or something like that.... Or does it restart now that spirits was covered? I guess it wouldn't be so weird if they went for energy... I am kinda hoping the next book now takes us to see the other nations. We have seen the water tribes and republic city but I am kinda curious about how the other nations look now. The fire nation was the most technologically advanced 70 years ago by quite a bit and they should today have the greatest supply of electricity and energy. Perhaps they don't match the actual technological level of republic city but perhaps the advantage they had would have made it more readily available for a lot of people. Earth kingdom is perhaps going to be the one that changed the least over the past 70 years. Their earth bending was insanely practical and could already be used to defend, transport and build in a extremely efficient way. Omashu's delivery systems, ba sin se's trains, the walls, it all was incredibly well made. Realisitcally speaking they had less reason to be creative than other nations so to speak. On the other hand the earth nation would have the greatest supply of metal benders if it comes to it. Perhaps the introduction and spreading of metalbending would have resulted in the earth nation changing the most as metalbending would be a paradigm shifter for everyone. The fire nation was the most technologically advanced nation so perhaps while they would have changed they would at large be most similar to republic city while in turn it is entirely possible the introduction of metal bending means the earth kingdom will be the one to change the most... Water was supposed to be the element of change and adaptability but in turn it seems to be the element which would actually cause the least change.

To be honest I would love to see an avatar series about the avatar that follows korra. In the current series they are already using things like radio, airplanes and a bunch of things which seem like steam punk wet dreams. So whats next for the next generation avatar? Provided they don't take the steam punk thing too far the next avatar should exist in a similar world to our own. Right now they avatar guys are somewhere in the 1930s and a steam punk wet dream with mechas, with their bending, ingenuity and realistically speaking infinite energy resources (every element can potentially be used to generate huge amounts of power, firebending receiving a special mention). So the next avatar could live in a world more technologically advanced than even our own that has incorporated bending and spirits into the mix to a much greater degree than any of the previous series. And of course the actual importance of the avatar would be severely diminished. In world with greater technology and modern weapons the power the avatar has would be severely diminishes in comparison to what it would have been in the past. Surely bending would still make him a force to be reckoned with but when it comes to jet fighters and missiles and other stuff the avatar won't just be able to beat enemies into submission. who knows how long it might even take to raise an avatar altogether. As technology takes over bending it also means bending to fight becomes less of a real world skill. It also means knowledge becomes more of a real world skill than power which means people in general will put less time into fighting and more into sitting down and read. Can you imagine aang or korra in our world trying to be an important figure just due to being the avatar? Where is his degree, what experience does he have? Aang was knowledgeable about cultures and he kinda got politics as he went with it but korra is in the end rather on the ignorant side considering her education is about bending. In a more complex world she would need to master the elements (something people will care less about ) and be extremely well educated. It took korra all this time to master the elements.... and she is still largely uneducated (by real world standards). If every avatar learned bending like aang did then it would not be a problem but if she has to be a powerful bender and extremely well educated by the time she is an adult... Realisitcally speaking korra would be ready for the world by the time she is 40 and even that is just completing basic education.

I get the impression that in the future there will actually be a separation of benders yet again. Air and water benders on one side and fire and earth benders on the other. Airbenders are monks they are very spiritual people... In turn waterbenders have not yet shown a particular interest or calling to technology and to boot they are right next to the portals to the spirit world. Basically the air and water benders are on their way to be extremely spiritual while the fire and earth nations are on their way to be extremely materialistic because they have the greater attitudes and aptitudes for technology and are geographically actually farther away from the spirit world. It would be an interesting dynamic for a future series.
    Last edited by kkck; November 30, 2013 at 12:08 PM.

Grand Secretariat 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Little goodie for Book 3 From Bryan Konietzko's Tumblr( he posts quite some useful stuff on there on his down-ish time.)

Quote Quote:
    Howdy, friends. I haven’t posted in a while as I’ve been buried under deadlines as well as under the weather. We are all really excited with how Book 3 is turning out. As promised, it features a lot more Lin Beifong than Book 2, so I thought I’d share a cool screen shot of her. OK, I’m going to crawl back underneath my deadlines and cough.
    I'm glad he's mentioned giving Lin a lot more screen time, as she was quite neglected this past season, compared to her awesome sortie in the first.

Also there's this snippet I took from the tumblr page( forgot that we had a soundcloud plugin )

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH's Most Awesome Staffer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ustegius's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I also recently watched Book 2. Like the first book, it was also a slow starter. Very slow. But it had enough to keep me interested and from episode 8 or so onwards stuff got really good. Though towards the end, what I didn't like was bunch of plot twists that felt completly deus ex machina. Like Korra just happening to strand on a fire monk island, and the monks just happening to know exactly what Korra needs to proceed in her quest. Or Jinora suddenly being a deity pretty much. The hell, the grand finale was more Legend of Jinora than that of Korra. I really hope book 3 tells us what happened after she parted with Tenzin&Co. Also I'm not sure what I think of MegaKorra at the end. But I do think her separation from the cycle of old Avatars is interesting. It really does open the door for the world of the show to evolve, develope. I really look forward to see Spirits of book 2 and technology of book 1 to meet, clash and interact in book 3. (Hopefully that hot spring guardian spirit makes a comeback).

Characters. New characters of season 2 were bit meh.I didn not quite get Unalaqs motifs. But I do think it was interesting that he had some shades of gray, as he seemed to genuinely believe that Spirits and Humans should live side by side again. His kids were weird. Almost too weird, their change in attitude near the end felt a bit off too (as returning in to my opinion of deus ex machina-ish moments). While it seemed very stupid for awhile, the daughters relationship with Bolin turned out to be rather hilarious after all. Then Derrick... Okay he was funny at times, interesting in the sense that he can be so goofy to be so clearly lacking in morale. Dunno really what think about him, but the fact that his escape from prison was so clearly pointed out, I asume he will have plot signifigance in future too. He was a character, that I felt had potential, but fell a bit flat. Bumi was a little letdown, but still quite a lot fun. Kya... okay. She was there to balance the sibling trio nicely.

Then the old friends. Bolin is really following the foodsteps of Sokka fantastically. Comic relief who nobody really gave a second look at the start of the series, has steadily grown into a massive fanfavorite. Just like Sokka indeed. And he was really a star this season. The character is hilarious, and is actually gaining some depth too, not degrading into a completly superficial joke. Mako.. Oh, well. He is still a douche. Asami. Meh. Korra is solid. Annoying at times for being so simple and stubborn, but on the other hand that is what makes her interesting also. Tenzin is still my favorite. I liked that they actually gave the old wise mentor character clearly some flaws and time to grow as a character. I really loved his interaction with his family, siblings and kids especially.

I loved Uncle Irohs cameo. And I really enjoyed the long awaited origin story of Avatar. And some of the small connections to Last Airbender, like the owl and that Fire Nation general. But it left me also wanting more, more of Azula or Zuko or the monster-with-many-faces. I want more answers to loose ends. More lore details.

Overall it was a nice season. Slow, sometimes a bit off putting and random, but build up nicely to the end. And left me with huge interest and expectations for Book 3.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The Season 3 trailer has aired in the Netherlands.

Spoiler: Old man Zuko? show

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally we get zuko back... I am surprised that they managed 2 books without him, I would have thought zuko would be the sort of guy whom they would be unable to leave out even out of the first book. He is no longer fire lord and is supposed to be doing humanitary work and korra is technically the reincarnation of his dear friend with whom he built an entire better new world (better than the world during and even before the war) so he should actually have had the time during korra's 10 years or so as the avatar to meet her. I thought zuko would be a worn out old man when we saw him but seeing him in the image it seems he has a bumi thing going on, he is old but still insanely powerful. I guess it makes sense if we consider he is 20 years younger than what bumi was in the original series though.

MH's Most Awesome Staffer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ustegius's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's interesting to have Zuko back. But I'm wondering how people seem so keen on it being weird that he still hasn't been around, or that he isn't a close friend with Korra or other main cast. I mean, lot of things could explain that. Like doing dragon breeding charity, staying out of focus for the sake of dragons safety. Or maybe he and Aang did not have that close relationship on the long run. In the comics set between ATLA and ATLOK they did clearly have new conflicts, which could have lead to a more difficult relationship than being simply best friends forever. Not sure though if the comic is considered canon.

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

Also, checking boards about this leak, it seems I have completly forgotten some stuff from ATLA. Like that apparently at somepoint Zuko and Aang found something, that many seem to think was a dragon's egg.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

well, personally I would question zuko not being too close with the others. The entire gang went on to become world famous individuals whose feats will be remembered for god knows how long. Aang was the god damned avatar which is about the closest you can be to a licensed vigilante, zuko was the fire lord, sokka was a representative of the water tribe or something, katara is a world renown healer but is perhaps best known for consistently boning aang, toph was the first cheif of police and invented a form of bending. They all played their part to build replublic city... Katara and zuko are essentially old and retired and katara has long settled down so it makes sense they do not see each other regularly. Given what they all have done it makes sense they maintained long, most friendly relationships while they could handle it. I would still argue the issue here is specifically zuko not taking the time to meet the avatar. It kinda seems like such a thing should be important to him and with him apparently being out and about doing philanthropy or something it seems like he should have had the time to go and say hi. I guess it is plausible there was a falling out at some point, aang was a less than perfect avatar (not saying he wasn't awesome though) so perhaps they did end up at a point where they did not see eye to eye...

MH's Best Reviewer MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, hell yes!

I can't image how this trailer could possibly be anymore awesome.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

19. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's see:

- Definitely looks like some time will be spent in the Earth Kingdom.
    - Seems like a bunch of people have gained the ability to airbend, including Bumi.
    - The twins will make another appearance.
    - Seems like Korra will either befriend and/or receive training from another airbender (girl? in green).
    - A firebending and airbending antagonist.
    - Zuko and his daughter I believe.
    - Korra metalbending.
    - But most importantly, Korra and Asami together without the boys!

This is looking to be the best season yet. Little worried about another waterbending villain, but she doesn't seem to be the sole antagonist this time around, so I don't mind that much.

21. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast