Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 (2)
New Reply
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: The Legend of Korra

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Rikudou King's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Legend of Korra

The double episodes were awesome, and I love how they explained a bunch of things. Now we know why the Avatar learns the elements in the order that they do, and why the current spirits look so different from the way they did in Aang's time. It was also nice to see another element besides Water get an unique ability and Korra get her own Flying Bison. So now it seem clear that Unalaq is working with or has some sort of deal with Vaatu, thus explaining his control over the Dark Spirits and need for Korra. And it appears that Korra has realized what's important. I'm guessing Korra is probably going to the Air Temple before heading to the Southern Portal, explaining how Jinora teams up with her to go into the Spirit Realm.

The only downsides were that once again they never really gave an answer to the social issue they brought up, and no more gorgeous Studio Mir animation for the rest of the season.

---------- Post added November 01, 2013 at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was October 20, 2013 at 04:09 PM ----------

As expected, Korra and Jinora finally head into the Spirit Realm and Unalaq is working to free Vaatu. Poor Tenzin, nothing ever goes his way. Still, glad to see he got an apology from Korra. Interesting to see how desperate Unalaq was getting, and even felt a little for the twins.

Varrik is such a cool villain, silly yet still poses a considerable threat. His threat to and then framing of Mako was great. The only problem I had with this episode is how easy it seem for Lin to suspect him. Well that and Asumi falling for Mako again.

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Enjoyable episode for me but kinda slow in all honestly.

The republic city stuff just doesn't seem important anymore after the big Avatar origin story. Which is just exacerbated by the whole Asami being all over Mako while not holding it against him, in the least, that he unceremoniously traded her in for Korra at the end of last season. I get that she's trying to grasp any remnants of her life as things seem to slip away, but no girl I've ever met wouldn't be absolutely @#$#ing furious about that until the end of her days (and rightfully so). Then there is Beifong whose obliviousness to her two obviously corrupt detectives is just getting frustratingly stupid.

My favorite part was probably the bit between Unalaq and the Twins actually, that man's got some problems.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for RPG fans]
    Black Haze [Esp. for Fairy Tail fans]
    Geukji High [Esp. for Kenichi fans.]
    Divine Bells [Esp. for Action/Comedy fans]
    Dragons Rioting [Esp. for Ecchi fans]

3. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Bobbas Veltez 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Country
    Joker
    Post Thanks / Like

I wondered how long we'd have to wait before Jinora's encounter with Wan's statue came up. I wonder at what point though, that Jinora became spiritually aware to see these spirits? Was it ever shown or hinted at before? It felt to me that a lot of it came out of nowhere and fast. Besides the adventure in the Avatar statue room.

Really felt sorry for the twins too, Unalaq's hunger for power has blinded him to anything beyond opening the portal and ruling/dominating.

Don't even get me started on the Beifong thing. It seems like her character has lost quite a few braincells since last season; being reduced to the role of the superior officer who is unaware of her officers corruption. :/

5. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Jinora being able to see spirits did come out of nowhere, through I can't really think of a time before now that it could have been shown.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Was anybody else bothered by the animation?

To me it looked...flat somehow. But that just might be my prejudice against Studio Pierrot and the hangover caused by the awesome tiny bit done by Studio Mir.
    Last edited by Jammin; November 02, 2013 at 04:06 PM.

Country
    Joker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    Was anybody else bothered by the animation?

To me it looked...flat somehow. But that just might be my prejudice against Studio Pierrot and the hangover caused by awesome the tiny bit done by Studio Mir looked.
    Nope, I was too. It took me a second to realise what was wrong with the art and realised that it was a different studio for this latter part of the season. God save us...

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goldb View Post
    Nope, I was too. It took me a second to realise what was wrong with the art and realised that it was a different studio for this latter part of the season. God save us...
    We'll just have to hope the people doing it are the ones that worked on the better parts of Bleach because if they rotate in the Naruto filler episode animators I'm going to be very upset.

Because if I see one of those 15 second looped gif style fighting animations I may just completely lose my mind with rage.

Country
    Joker
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm absolutely dreading it, because this is the pivotal part of the scene where we're expecting the best fights and actions.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't worry about that. I doubt they'll pull something like that. Plus, they're only around for five more episodes.

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rikudou King View Post
    I wouldn't worry about that. I doubt they'll pull something like that. Plus, they're only around for five more episodes.
    Really, that's the best news I've heard all week. I thought Mir was only pitching in for a few episodes.

Reading up on it a bit that really is not the case and I can't describe how much the relieves me. Turns out this was Pierrot's last episode of the season; possibly the series.

I also came across a very interesting article about how Studio Mir and Studio Pierrot came to both be working on Legend of Korra. It sounds like the reason Studio Mir was brought back in was that they aware of Studio Pierrot's shortcomings (naming being bad animators). And rumor seem to be that Books 3 & 4 will not have any Pierrot work at all.

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

To be fair, as much malice as their work on Naruto and Beelzebub caused me to build up, they didn't actually do that bad. The worst thing that happened was some hit and miss facial detail.
    Last edited by Jammin; November 02, 2013 at 05:24 PM.

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that's surprising. I had heard that Mir was only doing the flashback episodes, though that was at the beginning of the season so that's perhaps why. I mean, I knew that there were problems with the Japanese Studios due to another series I watch, Wakfu, but I hadn't know there was a rift between the Japanese and Korean animators. Now it makes me wonder what other animation issues were due solely to the animators...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Just read the final volume of The Search. For anyone who is interested about the basic plot points...

Spoiler show

The important bit to me is that Azula was last seen wandering into a forest full of spirits.

That's where your wrong Zuko, there can never be enough Azula.
    Last edited by Jammin; November 08, 2013 at 11:56 AM.

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Joker
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh I forgotten to ask you guys about it. Stumbled upon a YT video of the Search.

Spoiler show

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, hell yes!

There is so much awesomeness condensed into this week's episode I don't even know where to begin. This week's episode was everything that last week's wasn't.
    Last edited by Jammin; November 08, 2013 at 11:35 PM.

21. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Iroh and Wan Shi Tong? Way to much Epicness for a single episode. And I have to say that Unalaq went up a level in my book with how completely evil he showed himself in this episode. And most interesting, Wan Shi Tong appeared to know and support the idea of freeing Vaatu, which means either he's not aware of what Vaatu really is (unlikely), a supporter of Vaatu bringing an era of darkness due to his dislike of humans (possible), or there's more to Vaatu or Unalaq's plan then we have been told (most likely). Anyway, I enjoyed Korra's growth this episode and hope she sticks to it in the coming episodes. And definitely hoping to see a father vs father match between Unalaq and Tenzin now.

Nice to "see" Professor Zei again. Loved Wan Shi Tong's belief about tiny people in the Radio.

23. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast