Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2) , Gintama 514 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: The Legend of Korra

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Legend of Korra

I guess that in a worst case scenario they can cancel the next season.... I am a little surprised that the leaked episodes would have that much of an effect. Most of the fandom is probably at the states and the leaked episodes were in spanish. It is weird that they are releasing the episodes so fast though. I guess they wanted to get over the leaked episodes and show the new ones.

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH's Best Reviewer MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ustegius View Post
    Shit.

I wonder why rating are so bad? For me atleast, the fact that there were 7 episodes already out came as complete suprise. Did they ever even make a press release for official publication day? I mean, I have been following the Korra news frequently, and I didn't know it already started.

Another thing is the leaked episodes. I think this forced them to put the episodes out with a rush without proper campaigning. And might be the reason for dual episodes. Also, in think most of the core fandom already saw the the leaked episodes, and thus did not turn in for actual airings. (When nick is considering the shows future, they should check for torrent activity and take in consideration the bluray/dvd sales.)

In any case, this is bad news.
    Nick screwed up. That's for sure.

They did almost no advertising and aired two episodes at a time. Resulting in the series being half over before most people even realized it has started airing. And since they didn't stream episodes from their website like last season. People don't have much of a way to catch up without watching through unofficial means.

I suppose, some blame has to go on the last two seasons of Korra not quite being what some fans hoped, and therefor not being as engaged as with The Last Airbender, but personally I think that's a small part of it compared to mismanagement by Nick. It's a shame because almost everybody I've talked to agrees that this is Korra's best season so far.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    Nick screwed up. That's for sure.

They did almost no advertising and aired two episodes at a time. Resulting in the series being half over before most people even realized it has started airing. And since they didn't stream episodes from their website like last season. People don't have much of a way to catch up without watching through unofficial means.

I suppose, some blame has to go on the last two seasons of Korra not quite being what some fans hoped, and therefor not being as engaged as with The Last Airbender, but personally I think that's a small part of it compared to mismanagement by Nick. It's a shame because almost everybody I've talked to agrees that this is Korra's best season so far.
    Well, the season was half over before it started with the whole episode leaking thing... I wouldn't have expected that there would be so much damage to be honest, its not like its the first time episodes have been leaked before. I remember several episodes of aang's were leaked through the years back in the day. ALthough this is the first time I have seen so many episodes being leaked at once, I guess that made the difference. And in virtually no time they got all the way to episode 7....

Going by wikipedia though the first two seasons received critical acclaim(specially the first one). I am not sure if they were not what people or fans expected.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Well, the season was half over before it started with the whole episode leaking thing... I wouldn't have expected that there would be so much damage to be honest, its not like its the first time episodes have been leaked before. I remember several episodes of aang's were leaked through the years back in the day. Although this is the first time I have seen so many episodes being leaked at once, I guess that made the difference. And in virtually no time they got all the way to episode 7....

Going by wikipedia though the first two seasons received critical acclaim(specially the first one). I am not sure if they were not what people or fans expected.
    The big knock on season 1 was that it was a mini-series. It was never supposed to be a full Avatar story. It's storyline was compressed and characters were stunted. That's why Korra started out with most of her bending abilities. The knock on season 2 was that it wasted a lot of time, didn't have very compelling villains. It never took off until that last few episodes.

This season has the storyline, it has the characters, it has the villains. It has everything...except the ratings apparently.

But I definitely blame most of this on Nick and not The Legend of Korra. First of all most of those problems are Nicks fault for trying to be cheap and getting a miniseries instead of a full series, which caused so many narrative problems later on. Then the leak happens, which is horrible mismanagement on Nick's part, killing the ratings of the episodes that were leaked in advance(as the hardcore fans had mostly already seen them). Then they stealth announce the new season was starting like one week before it starts. Then they air all the episodes in clumps of 2 without providing any way for fans that miss it to catch up. Oh and they also mislabeled the hulu episodes season 2, lock them up in hulu plus, and stop at episode 3 for unknown reasons.

Nickelodeon is just not doing well by this series. The best thing that could happen from this IMO opinion would be for Disney to buy the rights to the show from Nick for Disney XD. It would be a better fit their anyway and they could actually advertise it. Soon there would be stuffed animal spirit creatures for sale everywhere but I could live with that.
    Last edited by Jammin; July 24, 2014 at 12:51 PM.

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

More importantly, it has zuko. He was my favorite character back in the day, I always found him to be the most compelling character. 3 seasons and korra still has not met him.

Anyways, looking back on the series I always wondered if roku had his own team avatar. So far the friends we know of would be sozin and gyatsu and they would be ideal teammates... Their backstory is so much better if they were like that.

Hopefully they won't cancel season 4. I am looking forward to it being about the fire nation and seeing what has come of them in the past 100 years. Back in the day they were the most technologically advanced nation, I kinda expect them to be similar or on par with republic city when it comes to technology. They have the right element for it and they have the headstart....

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

See, I had no idea that Book Three was airing before learning the news about Nick pulling the remaining episodes of the season. Not airing Book Four is understandable for the reasons they gave, but I don't know what issues they have with Mike and Bryke for them not to air the remaining five episodes; if they're airing two eps/week, they can wrap up everything up in less than a month. The whole situation is just too bad since the general consensus of Book Three has been very positive.

Nevertheless I'm really enjoying this season, and I hope to see a showdown between Korra's group and Zaheer's team.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Rikudou King's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Some tidbits from the SDCC Korra panel
    1. The move to digital has always been at the forefront of the creators minds, noting that the online presence of Korra has always been stronger. That has been apparent since the very beginning of Korra, and they cite it as an industry change (As well as online views being higher than TV views). However, the transition was not handled well by Nick. In fact, it was originally decided that Book 3 will ALL be digital, but they decided to air on TV instead....then Nick changed their minds again. But nothing has changed as far as the production of the show goes. We'll still see Korra to the very end. Korra for Nick though just didn't "fit in" with the rest of its programming.

2. Screening of The Terror Within.

3. By request, the VA's sing Secret Tunnel.

4. Trailer for the second half of Book 3

5. The announcement that this'll likely be the last major appearance of Bryke at SDCC.
    So it looks like we don't need to worry about not getting the fourth season. Honestly, going online is the better move, especially given Nick's apparent treatment of the season.

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rikudou King View Post
    So it looks like we don't need to worry about not getting the fourth season. Honestly, going online is the better move, especially given Nick's apparent treatment of the season.
    I'm still a little worried honestly. Everything sounds about like what you'd expect them to say. They're not going to come out say Korra didn't perform as well as Nick thought it would. It's hard to distinguish what's genuine positivity and what's putting a good spin on a bad situation.

Definitely hoping for the best though.

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

Wow, Lin's sister is either an idiot or in on it. I'm betting the latter.

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Ratings aside, this chapter was quite cool. Finally things set in motion.
    But now I deeply wonder about the reasons to kill the avatar. Why? JUST WHY?

There is a personal reason behind an ideological one, I bet on it. Great fight anyway, now the enemy has one type of rare master of each type (Well, not Swamp Benders or Blood Benders, but at least new types)
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post

There is a personal reason behind an ideological one, I bet on it. Great fight anyway, now the enemy has one type of rare master of each type (Well, not Swamp Benders or Blood Benders, but at least new types)
    The motives are so puzzling.

They must not want to kill Korra. Because if that was it their intention they could have easily done her in when she was unconscious. They had her dead to rights but just weren't able to get away with her safely. So I guess they must want something from her or for her to do something for them but what? None of them come across to me as particular bad in any way but being so intently after Korra. It's odd.

Suyin's actions confuse me too. She seems like she was instrumental in saving an unconscious Korra from Zaheer in that fight but then she puts on a show of pretending to agree with Lin about keeping Korra from going after them, only to secretly convince Korra to chase them. Which is a fight they can't possibly win. She's practically handing her to Zaheer. I have this feeling that next episode when Lin questions her she's going to be acting like she had no idea where Korra went.

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post

The thing is that they do not seem to want to just kill her. They could have already done so if they wanted to. They have been very adamant about kidnapping korra which means they have actual need of the avatar alive. My guess is that they want to perform some sort of ritual. They have something against the avatar itself so perhaps they have the means to kill korra and definitely ending the avatar cycle, as in stopping future iterations. As for their reasons, who knows... There definitely is an ideological aspect to the whole thing but an actual justification seems weird. The only thing that comes to mind is them not wanting a single person to have such an influence over their lives. Ultimately the avatar has enough power to bend and even end nations if it comes to it, perhaps they want to end that. It makes more sense that they have a plan to end the avatar that is different from trying to kill korra while in the avatar state after all. Perhaps they are being guided by an evil spirit that would be capable of doing the job.

As for Suyin, she is definitely on it. Not sure why considering she has been nothing but helpful for korra (which is perhaps the best cover) but still, there is no reason to do the last thing she did unless she wanted korra to get caught. Zaheer's gang is exceptionally dangerous and they are all more than capable at unconventional forms of bending (that extremely mobile waterbending, combustion bending, lava bending and airbending that while not unconventionally seems very skilled), korra's odds are not particularly high with the backup she currently has. I guess she could have a relatively easy victory over them with the avatar state but even then bolin and mako don't seem to actually cut it to be proper support for korra. And asami seems far less useful than she should be... Perhaps their combustionbending will be limited for a while thanks to bolin though. Still, they would be outnumbered and outskilled (korra does not seem to be a master of any element so far) considering these guys went up against the god dammed fire lord and came out on top. I hope suko saves korra in the next episode.

Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't believe Lin is a traitor, She's just pissed. Her personality was shown as a whim-oriented person so far, so I see this as the same.

Maybe the anti-avatar-gang wants to steal her power. Or share it to the world. But there must be something else. Something personal.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the series actually went out of its way to make suyin look guilty as hell. Look at the bit where she found out that guy was a traitor. She looked around and all that stuff which usually points to a liar. And then she recklessly sends the avatar with a bunch of sub-par benders and asami to hunt an squad on unconventional benders that managed to take on the fire lord. To boot a bender of each type, just enough to match the avatar. If lin really wanted to catch them she wouldn't send the avatar alone, she would send a small legion just so that she has a small chance at it. To boot its not just the 4 of them anymore, there is a competent metalbender among them that will be able to feel them coming from half a mile away.

Well, stealing her power does not seem to viable... It would require taking rava and splitting her up... So far their goal seems to be to create a new world without the avatar. I guess that points towards them wanting to kidnap korra to end the avatar cycle safely somehow. Maybe their actual goal is to destroy or seal rava herself? Seeing how the story turned out it kinda seems like their group might also be significantly bigger than what it seemed originally too. They have that metalbending guy, perhaps their group has infiltrated people in all nations.

If it is personal then the whole deal has to be related directly to aang . I guess zaheer in particular has some sort of relationship with aang that did not pan out as he would have hoped. Perhaps aang was not able to do something about some tragedy in the past...

---------- Post added July 28, 2014 at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was July 27, 2014 at 06:12 PM ----------

I was just looking at the titles of the next episodes... They hint at some pretty heavy stuff. "long live the queen" seems to obviously revolve around the earth queen. Perhaps she is an ally to zaheer? It would make sense if she had something against the avatar considering her attitude towards republic city.

enter the void might refer to the gang traveling to the spirit world once again.... Or perhaps somewhere else?

Venom of the red lotus seems very indicative. Perhaps that is what zaheer's group calls itself? In a way it would make them the antithesis of the white lotus. So there might be an ancient lotus order dedicated to finishing off the avatar? It would be interesting if they had a role to play in the 100 year war. The fire lords never cared about the balance of the world or spirits, it was about dominance. So it is plausible korra might be dealing with something far more ancient than a mere group of terrorists.

---------- Post added August 08, 2014 at 11:29 AM ---------- Previous post was July 28, 2014 at 04:01 PM ----------

Well, the latest chapter was fun. It beat around the bush too much but it was still fun to watch.
    Spoiler show

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 AM ----------

I have been thinking about blood bending within the context of the series. So far it has been shown as a taboo, a cruel art with immense capacity for destruction. Anyways, I can't help but wonder, does it have to be? Sure, it has been used as a extremely dangerous weapon against the gang but it also seems like in the right hands it could be of immense benefit. Waterbenders are already able to heal but imagine that being aided by bloodbending. It seems like an art that should have more than considerable medical applications. There is a risk but to begin with there is already a risk in people having bending at all, everyone is heavily armed by nature.

It would be a fun to see a chapter dedicated to weapon control within the context of the series. I mean, can you restrict gun usage in a world where benders can easily do more damage than with a gun? Or perhaps in the future the scenario will be that bending itself will be obsolte in the face of powerful technological weapons. An avatar is powerful but I have a hard time seeing one beat a jet firing missiles from 4 miles away.

21. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The big question from this week is... which 2 out of the 3 was it!!!!

The unspoken thing between the lava guy and the water bender is a gimmie. So either he was raised by an older sister OR....that mustache grew in when he was 10. Really hoping it was the later. That would make that guy > Chuck Norris.

I'm also curious were Bolin's inability to metal bend is going. I wonder if the show is going to make him a Lava bender instead? That would be pretty cool considering how absurdly overpowered that ability seems to be.

It's pretty great how just all around awesome Asami has been this season too. She's doesn't need bending to stand out, because she is pretty much ninja MacGyver.
    Last edited by Jammin; August 08, 2014 at 08:15 PM.

23. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool, cool, cool episode.

And you know what I enjoyed the most? That finally an Airbender gets hardcore. Since Bloodbending I was expecting something done with air in the body, and this was just amazing. It's hard to hate Zaheer when He kills characters that are so easy to hate.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames

New Reply
Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast