Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17

Thread: Do you like Sport Mangas? If so, which are your favourites?

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do you like Sport Mangas? If so, which are your favourites?

I didn't really rread sport series until recently. Then I decided to read Touch of Adachi and I ended reading his 3 main series in a row. That was a bit to much though and I don't think I will start Mix. He is a good author but I would prefer if he didn't stick to the same kind of stories.
    Now curiously I have started a few others, my favorite one is probably Ahiru no Sora. I didn't start Slam Dunk yet, I will probably read it one day, but I read the first chapters of Real and I'm more interested how handi basket will be treated. From jump I read Haikyu, entertaining if not extraordinary and the classic Rookies.

Series that did not catch my interest are Area no kishi (the setup was to similar to one Adachi stories) and Ascension (genious character are not really the one I can relate to)

I hate shovel 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm currently on the 10th chapter of Rookies. So far it has been very entertaining and I got the same vibe with Slam Dunk even though not exactly similar. What I love about REAL is that the manga does not only focus solely on the handicap basketball but also the psychological aspect of disabled people too. I'm waiting for the translation of volume 12, I can't wait to see further development. To be honest REAL is probably the best series currently running in YJ right now, even though I couldn't deny that Gantz, Kingdom and Liar Game provide great entertainment as well.

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner BlackLeggedDragon's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Eyeshield 21 is my second favorite manga ever and Kuroko no Basket is my current second favorite. Both these sports mangas are pretty "Shoneny" which means that their abilities are over-exaggerated. The problem with sports manga though is that it is hard to write a plot revolving around the protagonist's team losing. I don't enjoy a protagonist that almost never loses.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    I didn't really rread sport series until recently. Then I decided to read Touch of Adachi and I ended reading his 3 main series in a row. That was a bit to much though and I don't think I will start Mix. He is a good author but I would prefer if he didn't stick to the same kind of stories.
    Now curiously I have started a few others, my favorite one is probably Ahiru no Sora. I didn't start Slam Dunk yet, I will probably read it one day, but I read the first chapters of Real and I'm more interested how handi basket will be treated. From jump I read Haikyu, entertaining if not extraordinary and the classic Rookies.

Series that did not catch my interest are Area no kishi (the setup was to similar to one Adachi stories) and Ascension (genious character are not really the one I can relate to)
    Pretty much all of Inoue´s works, that includes Slam Dunk and Real, focus on personal growth and character development. The difference between Real and Slam Dunk would be though that in the former, the sport itself, in this case handicap basketball, only serves as a kind of link for the three main characters and as setting to address the main theme, namely disabilities and everything that comes with that while basketball itself is the major theme in Slam Dunk.
    Last edited by MiyamotoMusashi; January 04, 2013 at 05:33 PM.

Scanlator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Maxy Barnard's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

ROOKIES does it for me more than anything else. Sure, it mostly comes down to the drama, but that's what makes it so unlike anything else. Totally at the top of my faves. Haikyuu's doing well for me nowadays too. And though it got a bit long in the tooth, Eyeshield 21 rocked my life the entire time I was reading it.

Oh and for some reason I'm really fond of that flood of mediocre football and basketball titles Weekly Shonen Jump had some years back. Meister, Dois Sol, Light Wing, Dogashi Kaiden, Hoop Men, all that stuff. Not very good, really, but entertained me a whole bunch as they were coming out.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member salvatore022's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Yowamushi Pedal , this is my current favourite sport manga

Global Moderator 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I normally don't like sports manga. So I don't know why I checked Chihayafuru in the first place. I don't even know why they classified karuta as sports, lol. But since it's written like that, yeah. I grew to love the series, both anime and manga. Mainly because they don't only focus on the karuta; karuta is like the connection point of the character development and the plot. It brings the pieces together. Karuta itself seems to be a fun game.

I once tried to read a shoujo or josei manga (I forget) about ice skating. I haven't continued it, hopefully soon.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member perspherspley's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Here are my fave sport mangas:
    Baby Steps
    Cross Game
    H2
    Haikyuu
    Hikaru no Go
    Katsu
    Kurogane
    One Outs
    Slam Dunk
    Real
    Touch
    May Death never stop you.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity SharkBait's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Ace of Diamond and Haikyuu!! are my two favorites sports manga right now. Ace of Diamond feels really deep and immersively focused on showing the good parts of Baseball as well as bringing up fairly average players to the big leagues with focusing on their key skills and developing them a bit more.

Haikyuu!! for this as well, I liked the development of the normal characters and how they can still feel vital even though some of the members are a bit more evolved in some areas. Focusing on average players really helps sports series shine than just keying in on prodigies.

SoTaku is Love | Team Haikyuu!! | Team Stealth Symphony | Team Food Wars!

New Reply
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17