Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Does buggy or shanks know what one piece is?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner ilovemanga's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Does buggy or shanks know what one piece is?

considering they were apprentice on gol d roger's ship and they even participated(maybe not buggy) in the battle between shiki and roger so i can assume that they were with roger until the roger pirates disbanded. So i have no doubt that both buggy and shanks have reached raftel and know what one piece is. what do you guys think?

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does buggy or shanks know what one piece is?

Quote Originally Posted by ilovemanga View Post
    considering they were apprentice on gol d roger's ship and they even participated(maybe not buggy) in the battle between shiki and roger so i can assume that they were with roger until the roger pirates disbanded. So i have no doubt that both buggy and shanks have reached raftel and know what one piece is. what do you guys think?
    instead of thinking they don't know, we could think instead that this is actually further evidence that one piece doesn't exist as a significant tangible item of financial worth

never once has buggy stated he wanted to go after one piece, he just says he wants to return to the grand line and that he missed it

same for shanks

the only reason one piece is so fabled is because roger shouted it out to everyone before his death, and the people who truly were with him/knew the real story were not interested in it financially

i think they do know of it, they're just not interested in it (not buggy anyway, shanks could be guarding it while waiting for dragon to rise up). it could be a colelction of the poneglyphs collected by roger

4. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bhoot's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Theory : Buggy is actually super - ultra powerful who has always been helping Luffy by the side lines since after meeting him , he was reminded of Gold D Rogers and/or coz of the Hat and/or maybe Shanks discussed something about Luffy with hi m .

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Intl Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Lord Rayleigh's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that they don't know what One Piece exactly is because Roger would have created One Piece during his last year of life, after he disbanded the crew and before he lived with Rouge. They may have an idea though because of what they saw during their travel with Roger. See my theory about Roger's One Piece in my signature if you want to get more info.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity chess4's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think shanks knows where it is, but buggy does not. I can see a scenario where when the Rogers Pirates made it to Raftel, Buggy was unconsious. i believe Shanks knows that the One Piece holds a far deeper meaning and purpose than just being wealthy, so he will keep his mouth shut until Luffy is ready to be the King

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Anduren's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I do think that all of the Roger pirates know what One Piece is including Rayleigh, Crokus, Buggy & Shanks as well as maybe Whitebeard. But from what I know, Roger never said One Piece had any monetary value (it's only implied in the introduction of the anime, i think, that it has to do with "wealth, fame and power"). Because Buggy only sees value in gold and the like and doesn't seem interested in it, I assume that One Piece has no monetary value. Since Shanks doesn't seem interested in it, I assume he, just like Whitebeard, isn't interested in the the title of Pirate King and/or cant put to use whatever One Piece is. Crokus made no effort to show that he had any association with Gol D. Roger which makes me think that even pretending to know what One Piece is can put a person's life in danger unless they're strong enough to oppose the world government. Sengoku's reaction to Whitebeard's last words also imply that. This is probably why Buggy wanted to hide the fact that he was ever on Gol D. Roger's ship until the world government made it public and he has yet to utter a word on One Piece or Raftel. Rayleigh said in chapter 507, page 5 that "we found out the entire history" and "we and the people of Ohara may all... have been a little too hasty." This could be interpreted as just him and Roger so I guess it's not conclusive evidence. Although it's also possible that One Piece has nothing to do with the void century.

On a lighter note, It'd be funny if Luffy finally reaches Raftel to find Shanks, Buggy, Rayleigh, Crokus and some of the other Roger pirates eating a cake to celebrate Luffy's arrival....and they saved him One Piece .

10. Like 7 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

I think they don't know, and as was said by Anduren at least Shanks is not interested on it.

On my part I think One Piece is just freedom. It must be something indivisible but share-able.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Kyodai Senkan Mora's Avatar
    Country
    Kenya
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anduren View Post

On a lighter note, It'd be funny if Luffy finally reaches Raftel to find Shanks, Buggy, Rayleigh, Crokus and some of the other Roger pirates eating a cake to celebrate Luffy's arrival....and they saved him One Piece .
    hahahaha...ROFLMAO....You sir are a comedian.

Shank's could know given he is a serious, attentive character and was important enough to inherit Roger's hat and also since from the time of his introduction he has never hinted at a goal such as finding one piece or becoming the pirate king.....Buggy on the other hand am certain is clueless.No matter what gains buggy makes in the one piece universe he will always remain a joke character,comic relief at best.There is absolutely no way he knows anything about one piece.He would have already tried to sell that kinda info(lol) Also during the war he stated his intention to find one piece and become the pirate king.
    "Unless I grip the sword, I can not protect you. While gripping the sword I can not embrace you." -Tite Kubo

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member exxp's Avatar
    Country
    Bahrain
    Post Thanks / Like

No I don't think ...
    Buggy doesn't like a one know about this, he already was decided to get another treasure [ Buggy the Clown Arc ]
    Shanks was simple like Buggy, he can't know about this too ...
    My lists: Manga&Manhwa | Anime | movies, documentary, ... | books&stuff | novels | Audios ...

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Kyodai Senkan Mora's Avatar
    Country
    Kenya
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by exxp View Post
    No I don't think ...
    Buggy doesn't like a one know about this, he already was decided to get another treasure [ Buggy the Clown Arc ]
    Shanks was simple like Buggy, he can't know about this too ...
    just because buggy decided to get captain john's treasure doesn't mean he doesn't want one piece.I mean Pirates generally want any treasure and as a final goal the ultimate treasure: one piece.....also please don't seriously compare shanks and buggy.Shanks was far much ahead to begin with.strengthwise and composure wise. even whitebeard commented that he was pretty good on rogers ship and you saw his cool compared to buggy during edd war in episode 0
    "Unless I grip the sword, I can not protect you. While gripping the sword I can not embrace you." -Tite Kubo

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

well, let say that shanks (as the hat confirmed) as inherited roger's will and so is the guardian of the one piece (if we don't consider that luffy found it in the 1st volume when he sails set to the sea!!

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member ownage404's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it would be better to assume that Roger did not "make" one piece but he just found it. He left it there because it's something he couldn't take. So everyone in his crew probably knows but it's something not usually wanted by your average pirate aka Buggy.

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RezzieThaRapper's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea I'm assuming that the entire crew knows...

I won't say it doesn't have monentary value, just that it's value in being the Jolly Roger pirates secret is more important Buggy...
    I have an opinionDon't hate me for it...

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Tengou's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, after all this foreshadowing that went into the whole 'One Piece' thing, it would be a massive cop out if it ended up being some kind of immaterial 'it was inside you all along' thing like freedom, or courage, or whatever. This is not the Land of Oz. Luffy is not the cowardly lion (that's Usopp's job description, hur). Plus, when has Oda ever copped out of anything? I'm sure it'll be something really awesome. Still, as far as Luffy is concerned, it doesn't matter if it exists, as long as he has fun getting there.

That said, Buggy and Shanks both founded their own crews eventually. They both had their own ambitions, separate from Roger's, and they may have jumped ship before he reached Raftel. Buggy, blinded by the lure of treasure, will likely have eventually effected his getaway, even if Shanks' interrupted him when we saw him do it. And Shanks, we still don't really know what he was in it for. From the looks of things, he doesn't care about much else beyond getting shit-pissed drunk every day. Even so I doubt Shanks could have built such a powerful crew around a weak resolution like that, so there must be a big feature about him, some kind of dream or goal that we're not aware of yet.
    Last edited by Tengou; August 24, 2011 at 02:51 AM.

20. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Quantized's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hyper_megaman View Post
    instead of thinking they don't know, we could think instead that this is actually further evidence that one piece doesn't exist as a significant tangible item of financial worth

never once has buggy stated he wanted to go after one piece, he just says he wants to return to the grand line and that he missed it

same for shanks

the only reason one piece is so fabled is because roger shouted it out to everyone before his death, and the people who truly were with him/knew the real story were not interested in it financially

i think they do know of it, they're just not interested in it (not buggy anyway, shanks could be guarding it while waiting for dragon to rise up). it could be a colelction of the poneglyphs collected by roger
    Problem with this is, that Buggy is super weak, and probably way out of the league to even "think" about going after One Piece

I agree that we likely can't make a certain guess on what exactly One Piece is, but I doubt it's just air or something insignificant like some suggest, Luffy's own hat that was One Piece all along. Sure "One Piece" could be symbolic but I don't think so..

The Marines are heavily against people going after One Piece, they would probably know what it is since would know a lot of what Roger had stolen, well, an estimate anyway.
    So why don't the marines tell everyone what One Piece really is...? Sure some may not believe the marines, but they don't even "try" to convince people that piracy for One Piece is not worth it.

That Roger was about to tell Whitebeard also tells me it's something "worth" something, but Whitebeard was only interesting in his family though.

I'd probably be greatly disappointed if it turned out that One Piece is nothing special, it'd be the ultimative surprise, BUT a bad one in my opinion.

I yeah, I think Buggy and Shanks may know some of the minor and medium size of the treasure, but the biggest price of One Piece...? Arguable

New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast