Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 597 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Does buggy or shanks know what one piece is?

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does buggy or shanks know what one piece is?

Well, first of all, I disagree with the notion that Buggy is "super weak".
    Sure, he's not in the same league as shichibukai (or even super nova rookies), but he managed to survive and even thrive sailing in the Grandline. And that's something only a few can claim. In addition, it's most likely that Buggy's been (as part of Roger's crew) in the New World and managed to survive. That's something even a fewer number of men can claim.

As for do they know what OP is. Probably. And it's probably not something of tangible wealth in terms of gold or jewels. It may be an ancient device of immense power (the polynographs and ancient blueprints certainly suggests a past civilization that supersedes the current one on the technological level) ... it may be information dealing with the lost history... but it's probably not something that Buggy could take to Sotheby's or a Swedish bank.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Tengou's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know exactly when buggy was captured and tossed into Impel Down, but it's a safe bet it happened rather soon after he dared return to the Grand Line. Buggy is not strong, there's no getting around it. Before Luffy around, he was running around pointlessly. Of every notable person there (Luffy, Bon Kurei, Mr. 3, Ivankov, etc.) he was the only one that couldn't defeat the Blugori. He's not too smart, either, and has laughably bad instincts. But, given the right tools and opportunities, he is cunning. His Muggy Dama is pretty powerful, too, as was demonstrated first hand on one of Impel Down's demon guards (even if it didn't work). One could say Buggy's greatest strengths are 'luck' and 'timing'. Because he was in the right place, at the right time, with the right people to protect him, he managed, beyond all odds, to make it big during the war at Marinford.

But this thread isn't about how strong Buggy is. Having thought about it, I have to revise my previous statement; Shanks probably does know Raftel's location, and he may indeed have seen One Piece, whatever it is, because if I remember correctly, when the Roger pirates disbanded in Loguetown, Shanks was there. It was probably then that he decided to form his own crew.
    Last edited by Tengou; August 24, 2011 at 11:46 PM.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted sarutobi_sensei's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, I believe that they know it isn't a tangible thing, something that can be touched, owned, sold, etc. That's why Buggy isn't interested in getting it, why he never showed interest in going after it himself.

I really believe that Buggy is crazy strong and has just been fooling around, though, it's probably never going to happen. I'd love to see Buggy actually showing how strong he really is.

Anyway, Shanks probably knows what it is, same with Buggy.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Buggy is strong, actually, or we would have seen a completely different fight against Luffy.

BUT I do agree that they may know something about One Piece and it's the reason why no one of the old Roger's Pirates is actively looking for it.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member omegakai's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont think they know where it is, by the time roger became pirate king he was already sick and started to disband his crew so it speaks to logic that he would have let buggy and shanks leave the ship first because they were youngsters. Rodger gave shanks his hat because he saw promise in him as a pirate.
    Only Rayleigh and some of the more higher up members might know what one piece actually is. I also believe that some one from Rodgers crew who got ejected before his big moment might join BB or will be after the location of one piece

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Quantized's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by omegakai View Post
    I dont think they know where it is, by the time roger became pirate king he was already sick and started to disband his crew so it speaks to logic that he would have let buggy and shanks leave the ship first because they were youngsters. Rodger gave shanks his hat because he saw promise in him as a pirate.
    Only Rayleigh and some of the more higher up members might know what one piece actually is. I also believe that some one from Rodgers crew who got ejected before his big moment might join BB or will be after the location of one piece
    I can relate to that
    Also we really don't know what Raftel is like yet, it may be a huge challenge even for the Yonkou's

Possibly, it's some place requiring you to master Haki to an insane level only a person worthy of Pirate king can get through...?
    I'd love it if it's something like that It'd also build up suspension on finally finding One Piece, whatever it is

I can't stop imagining, it has to be a huge treasure of all kind of things from all over the world, which is the "minor" part of the true treasure... The lost weapons, secrets of the dark age, and possibly, something totally unexpected, but something really special, that only Oda can think of

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

Thinking about it, One Piece is possibly consisting of things all the crew members will value!!

Lost history: Robin, lost history is complete and a lot of interesting and cool history is revealed of the void history / dark ages.

Lost technology: Possibly, maybe Vegabond has "some" of his skills and knowledge from the lost time..? Franky could uncover a whole new level of lost technology, especually considering Oda seem to introduce a lot of Robots, tanks and what not after Franky joined. Although I personally dislike this option.

Lost Medical books or similar from the dark ages: Chopper's crown for becoming one of the worlds finest doctors! Given his reaction in the Gecko Moria arc, he'd probably share it with the rest of the world though.

Gold treasure: Nami $_$ She LOVES treasures!! But also, they would never lack money when they go shopping again, although could see Nami sitting on the whole treasure and only giving them small portions of gold to buy for

Awesome weapons: Zoro would maybe find a really strong sword, or maybe even 2! He'd probably want to keep fighting with the katana he brought from his dead friend and rival.

All Blue: All the 4 waters connect, although think Sanji was drugged in love when he said all blue in the fishman arc (they're only halfway afterall), so it's likely gonna be close around Raftel and One Piece on the other side of the planet, my bets atleast Possibly some recipies could be included in One Piece.

Brook.... Honestly, I can't think of anything he'd like... All he wanted was friends to travel with once again, right..? In a way, he'd get what he wants by the others finding their treasures, a happy crew and happy friends!

Crazy inventions: Not sure about this one, but idd that there will be something cool for Usopp as well!

The crown of One Piece: Not litterally, but something truly amazing that will be fitting for Luffy. Perhaps, an amazing weapon or something similar that actually matches Luffy's style and fighting style.
    Thinking about it, he'd need it if a war breaks out between the 3 super powers, he's forced to fight if he wants to remain the Pirate King.
    Though, I doubt the crown piece of One Piece is a weapon, perhaps there will be two things for Luffy, or well, who knows, Oda is the master!! Surprise us

Just some quick theories, take it with a grant of salt

Personally, I don't think the manga will "end" when Luffy becomes the Pirate King. His journey ends, but there will be a last thing to do, the world will probably end up in chaos between the 3 powers, and Luffy will have trouble having a peaceful time as Pirate King.
    He enjoys adventures, but doubt he'd like chaos though.
    The reason being his father and his army, something big is going on...

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I doubt luffy will become the pirate king for a while. I think the yonkous are stationed near the end of the New World to guard the "One Piece." We know at least that Whitebeard and Shanks do not have any interest in the one piece. They may be guarding the entrance to rafetla and are waiting for someone who is worthy enough to try get it.

Another thing I think might happen is that the "one piece" isn't something that you can get. People say in order to become the pirate king you need power, wealth, and fame, but I was thinking that many people would think that its in the grand line. Since everyone goes to the grand line, you need power to survive. You will get fame as progress across the grand line and you may get wealth while traveling to rafelta.

Random idea: The last island, rafelta, may contain the last ponegloyphs which might show the important part of the "viod century."

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member deprince69's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

considering that the world government fears the discovery of one piece because it will bring the end of the current world government means that who ever get it will also be rich because the person who is control "one piece treasure" means they will be run the world. who ever runs the world will probably have money/make money... i think both shanks and buggy know what one piece is, its just that they have other goals. shanks made a bet/hope for luffy to get there, i think that's why he is not searching for it. and as for buggy, knowing his character shows that he is not up for the challenge. he is a true pirate where money comes and goes and he live one day at a time.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Kyodai Senkan Mora's Avatar
    Country
    Kenya
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
    Random idea: The last island, raftel, may contain the last poneglyphs which might show the important part of the "void century."
    Not so random.Robin already deduced this in sky island after reading the inscription left near the poneglyph by roger in the ancient language

I belong to the class of people who believe that One Piece doesn't really exist in the general sense as a physical object. I think that what the crew learns from the journey to Raftel and the subsequent actions they take because of this knowledge is the true definition of One Piece.Roger was waiting for someone who could change the world after learning of its true nature.Buggy doesn't strike me as knowing anything of it.Shanks however may hence why he doesn't seem interested in going there.he understands he is not the one roger was waiting for
    "Unless I grip the sword, I can not protect you. While gripping the sword I can not embrace you." -Tite Kubo

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member xeteboi's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Onepiece is a place of paradise thus it is not tangible..As for Buggy and Shanks they may not be aware of it since they are still kid in that time and as far as what i know with the character of Buggy, he thinks that Onepiece is a place of many golds or what; thus makes him innocent what Onepiece is...

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Buggy tangent i'm going by, already believe i discussed his character before somewhere on here, and i'm sure someones brought up similar points anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Tengou View Post
    Honestly, after all this foreshadowing that went into the whole 'One Piece' thing, it would be a massive cop out if it ended up being some kind of immaterial 'it was inside you all along' thing like freedom, or courage, or whatever. This is not the Land of Oz. Luffy is not the cowardly lion (that's Usopp's job description, hur). Plus, when has Oda ever copped out of anything? I'm sure it'll be something really awesome. Still, as far as Luffy is concerned, it doesn't matter if it exists, as long as he has fun getting there.

That said, Buggy and Shanks both founded their own crews eventually. They both had their own ambitions, separate from Roger's, and they may have jumped ship before he reached Raftel. Buggy, blinded by the lure of treasure, will likely have eventually effected his getaway, even if Shanks' interrupted him when we saw him do it. And Shanks, we still don't really know what he was in it for. From the looks of things, he doesn't care about much else beyond getting shit-pissed drunk every day. Even so I doubt Shanks could have built such a powerful crew around a weak resolution like that, so there must be a big feature about him, some kind of dream or goal that we're not aware of yet.
    The other one piece thread had a good theory about the dreams of each crew member, which if done properly (something i'm sure oda will do) can be just as epic. Other best option is something that would help in a war and bring end to the "Evil" world government.

Shanks story will probably be learned by the end, but i think his resolve and his crews are similar to luffy's ideal as a pirates life, and perhaps even Roger (given his former crew members speak of him). It's possible shanks is in it for the adventure and unexpected. He also seems the type who enjoys the pirates life of drinking and singing songs like Luffy used to always talk about in east blue (musician being more important than other roles because pirates like to sing songs). Shanks and his crew might be the same type, they just like going on adventures and living a life of freedom roaming the high seas. Becoming a yonkou makes it even better for them because they have more power to do whatever they want and not having any one else telling them otherwise. Luffy said it best when he feels the pirate king is the one with the most freedom on the sea.

Now on the subject, it reinforces OP is not a monetary item and something else entirely. The beginning of the series when it talks about wealth, fame, and power is the LEGEND of "Gold" Roger. The mysteries behind the series wouldn't be interesting enough for readers compared to a guy who lived a life of piracy and had it all before his execution. It's necessary. And for the sake of the canon, it meant influencing a bunch of people to go find some infamous treasure.

As the series went on, not only have we learned that it's not quite what it seems to the average pirate, but we also know the average pirates and pirate crews would have no chance of getting to the end of the grand line or finding the treasure. Won't stop them from trying of course, but means its irrelevant what people THINK it is. The ones who would probably have use or interest in the treasure left behind (if there is one...when usopp asks about the treasure luffy does add "We're not even going to ask him if there really is a treasure.") are the same guys who have to be strong enough to brave the seas and would be able to understand it.

It's likely both know what it is. The reason they don't go after it is simple, its not their treasure. Buggy wants monetary things like gold, jewels, etc. One Piece is probably not this, which is why he goes after other treasure and doesn't care. Not a matter of strength. If it was a treasure worth his eyes, he would go after it anyway and would have said something by now, but he's off in the grand line finding other precious items. Shanks would be the type to leave such things to the next age (Luffy) or like whitebeard has no interest in it. For all we know its something that would require something special, like being a D, or whatever the ability to "hear the voice of all things" is. We know Luffy has the similar trait thanks to the sea kings and noah, so that would set him up even over characters like Teach to be the one to find the treasure. If it is something like this, shanks also would be ruled out.

There's also respect for their late captain. They probably have no interest in one piece if it was left by the crew there in the first place. It further reinforces monetary aspects (why leave gold and jewels on a remote island for someone else to find?) and would mean that its nothing they would have a use for as a crew, so pursuing it wouldn't be necessary for them and they leave it up to someone else capable of finding it. If their captain left it there, they probably assume he has a reason, and will go on that instead.

If anything the fact the roger pirates aren't interested can mean either because they know what it is, or because individually it's not something they can do anything with. Maybe even both.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice old thread!!!

I believe if only Roger and Rayleigh known what there is in Raftel then that island should be challenging to land, to reach or to stay. Maybe it is a underwater island, like Atlantis. Rayleigh is a great swimmer (maybe diver). More ten years and we'll know the thruth. Survive, guys!

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zehahaha's Avatar
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bhoot View Post
    Theory : Buggy is actually super - ultra powerful who has always been helping Luffy by the side lines since after meeting him , he was reminded of Gold D Rogers and/or coz of the Hat and/or maybe Shanks discussed something about Luffy with hi m .
    No way, I mean that would be cool actually and would add depth to his character, but nah, there hasn't been a single hint towards that, and if Oda had that in mind, they were many occassions during ID/Marinford where Buggy could've proctected Luffy. I was surprised that he didn't seem to want to save Ace, considering he knew he was Roger's son

15. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member PLfighter's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Buggy is super weak if you are strong you dont be catch and send to gretest prison.
    Buggy didin't now wear is one piece becouse he will sell information he love money like nami
    Shanks didin't now either wear is one piece if he now he just blackmail sengoku to free ace or world we now about void century or use ancient weapon.

17. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you have followed the Manga good enough. It's not about knowing where Rafael is, but about the right/destined one to arrive there and be capable of challenging and changing the corrupt leadership. Shanks thinks Luffy could be that one, he hopes, but he himself doesn't see himself as capable to be doing all that as far as I got it.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast