Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Solve the Mystery!

MH's Most Friendly Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity destiny4ever's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Solve the Mystery!

Can you solve the mystery? Fancy yourself as a detective? Then this is the thread for you!

The game starts with a story. A person will post a story and the rest of the people (the players) will solve the mystery within that story. The goal of this game is simple; just write a post with your answer to the mystery.

Here’s the story:

"The Quadruplicate Murder" by Hy Conrad

The time of death was firmly established. At 10:06 p.m. all three suspects said they heard a gunshot echo through the house. The house was shared by the Harrison quads, a set of fraternal quadruplets whose relationship was anything but brotherly. Technically speaking, the Harrisons were now triplets, since Harry, the oldest by a minute, was lying in his second story bedroom, nursing a bullet in his lifeless chest.

Harry, it seemed, had been a ladies' man. He had even bragged about seducing the girlfriend of one of his brothers. Unfortunately, the police didn't know which one. They arrived quickly, separating the three remaining men and interviewing each one separately.
    "I was working on my car," Tom Harrison insisted. "I plugged an extension cord into an outlet behind the house. Then I took a work light around to the side driveway, in front of the garage. I was working on the engine when I heard the gunshot. It took me a second to realize it was coming from the house. Then I ran inside to check."

The second suspect entered the room with a noticeable limp. "I had just come home," explained brother Dick. "I parked in the alley behind the house. I was walking up to the back door when I tripped hard over some cord. I fell down, then just sat there, rubbing my ankle. Maybe two minutes later came the gunshot. That got me moving."

The third suspect claimed that he had just come down to the kitchen. "I was starting to scoop out a bowl of ice cream," said Ignatius, the youngest Harrison. "Then I heard a noise out back. I looked out, but it was dark. I went back to my ice cream. A couple minutes later I heard the shot."

The detectives circled the house. In the kitchen, they found a melted bowl of ice cream on the counter by the refrigerator. In the backyard, they saw an orange extension cord with a bent prong that had been ripped from an outdoor socket. Following the extension cord around, they found Tom's car in front of the garage, the work light suspended over the open hood.

"At least they're not identical quads," the chief detective observed. "I hate working on clichéd mysteries."

"Well, cliche or not," his assistant mumbled, "it's pretty clear who's lying."

Who's lying?

What clue gave the killer away?

List of winners
    - wizzard
    - digitaldude
    - kdowns
    Last edited by destiny4ever; December 05, 2012 at 09:07 PM.
    Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan!

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member wizzard's Avatar
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Solve the Mystery!

the 3-rd one is lying he heard someone tripping over a cord that was not supposed to be there by the time.

On the other hand could be also the 1-st one 'cause how could he continue his work last 2 minutes without the light (the cable has been ripped off the socket the police says)

yes, it's definitely the 1-st one, the stories of the other two have the right timing.

---------- Post added at 03:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 AM ----------

Give another one
    Last edited by wizzard; December 01, 2012 at 07:12 PM.

My thread. | MAL:myanimelist | mymangalist |
    Quote Originally Posted by Krina29 View Post
    +I like talking to you

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent wizzard!! Your answer is correct!

Who's lying?
    Tom

The Explanation
    What clue gave the killer away?

The noise that Ignatius heard out back supports Dick's story of coming home a few minutes before the murder and tripping over something. The torn-out extension cord and the bent prong also support Dick's story. But, if Dick's fall pulled the cord out of the outlet, then Tom would have found himself suddenly in the dark.

Why didn't Tom mention the failure of his work light? Simple. He didn't know about it. At that moment, he was already sneaking upstairs, intent on shooting Harry, the brother who'd seduced his girl.

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

"The Callous Classmate" by Ben Goheen

Detective Dolan wondered how he let himself get talked into this? He, of all people, organizing a high school reunion. Things had gone haywire from the very start. Reservations were misplaced, the reception room was too small, and the dinner menu was mysteriously changed from grilled salmon to tuna. The resort conspired against him as well. Guests had long walks due to the resurfacing of the asphalt drive at the entrance, and the water main had ruptured at 6:00 P.M., temporarily shutting off the water.

Then there was the murder!

It happened at about 7:15 P.M. A high-pitched scream reverberated through the crowded reception hall. Dolan was standing beside the doorway talking to an old girlfriend when Maddy Rich burst through a pair of doors.

"Rolly is dead!" she cried. Then she collapsed.

"You take care of Maddy," Dolan told his old friend. "I'll check on Rolly."

Dolan rushed into the atrium, a flowery showplace with waterfalls and fountains enclosed in a massive glass structure. He followed the stone path until he found Rolly, lying crossways, his head in a bed of geraniums. No question he was dead. A cursory examination revealed that he had been hit in the back of the head. Nearby was a piece of decorative brown sandstone about the size of a volleyball, covered with blood.

Carefully lifting the stone, Dolan inspected then replaced it. He took out a handkerchief, wiped the sand from his hands, then surveyed the surrounding area. Along the path, he noticed small black circles, each circle containing a circular swirl pattern. The circles were approximately an inch-and-a-half in diameter and spaced roughly two feet apart.

"I am shocked," the concierge said, when informed of the death. "A murder at our resort. How can I help, detective?"

"Guests have to use their key cards in order to enter the atrium. Can you get me a list of all the people who entered within the past hour?"

"The atrium was closed until the water main was repaired. It's only been open 15 minutes." The concierge tapped a few keys in his computer and came up with three room numbers, including the victim's.

Billy Cragg was immediately on the defensive. "Sure I was in the atrium," he replied. "Why are you picking on me?"

"I'm not picking on you," Dolan assured him.

"Everybody picks on me. You remember how it was in high school. Girls laughed because I worked at a gas station and had grease under my fingernails."

"How did Rolly treat you?"

"The same way that jerk treated everybody. Now that he's rich I imagine he's even worse."

"Why were you in the atrium?"

"I felt out of place around all these people in their thousand dollar suits. I wanted to be alone, just me and my cowboy boots. I was sitting next to the fountain drinking a brew, feeling sorry for myself."

"Did you see or hear anything?"

"No, the splashing water was too loud."

Dolan asked to see the bottom of his boots and Billy obliged. The heels were small, almost square, and held no trace of black residue. The men shook hands and Dolan moved on.

The second room on the list belonged to Jack Biggs, former football star. Dolan saw him at a nearby table and walked over. "How've you been, Jack?" he asked as they shook hands.

"Been fine," Jack answered. "Except for this bum knee. I hurt it in college, and it gets worse every year. Can't get around at all without this blasted walking cane, and not very far then."

Dolan wiped his hands on his trousers and realized that it probably made him look nervous. "I gotta ask you some questions, Jack. What were you doing in the atrium?"

"What do you mean?"

"You were in there about the time it happened. If I remember correctly, you and Maddy Rich dated in high school."

"Yeah, until Rolly stepped in. We were going to be married after college. I had that football scholarship you know?"

"I know."

"Well, if you'll excuse me, I have to move my vehicle. Seems the management objects to it being parked at the entrance, even though I am disabled."

"One more thing. Can I see the bottom of your cane?"

Jack shrugged and lifted his cane. The straight wooden shaft ended a flat wooden end. No black stain.

"Thanks," Dolan said and watched the ex-athlete limp away.

Finally, he walked over to where Maddy Rich was resting and gently took her hands.

"Maddy, I have to ask you a few questions. Tell me what happened."

She wiped at her eyes. "Rolly and I were arguing about everything lately. It didn't matter what. Tonight we called a truce and went for a stroll in the atrium. That's when he told me. Rolly was going to file for divorce as soon as we returned to Dallas."

"Why? Another woman maybe?"

"He didn't say."

"What did you do?"

"I slapped him and walked away. I was still in the atrium, as far away as I could get. I was crying. And then I heard a noise, like something falling. When I went back, I found him."

"Can I see the bottom of your shoes, Maddy? Just routine."

Dolan inspected the round heels. They were about the right size and scuffed, but free of any black marks. He thanked her, then walked over to an empty table to review his notes.

Dolan's old girlfriend joined him. "It couldn't have been one of our classmates?" It was a statement, but phrased as a question. "One of us a killer?"

Dolan shook his head. "I strongly suspect so. And I think I know who."

Who does Dolan suspect?

What gave the person away?

Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Give us another one

It has been the Sporty guy,

The girl couldn't have lifted the stone. and the 1-st one doesn't match the pattern.

the black is from the asphalt I think.
    Also the space between the circles also supports the not shoes but cane theory.
    Last edited by wizzard; December 01, 2012 at 09:50 PM.

+I like talking to you

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Your answer is correct wizzard, it was Jack. But there is one clue that you are missing. Can you deduce that clue?

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by destiny4ever View Post
    Your answer is correct wizzard, it was Jack. But there is one clue that you are missing. Can you deduce that clue?
    well the motif is either obvious or not mentioned.

most canes have this rubber end, but his didn't

I'm curious how he's been driving with that knee, but aside from that I don't see anything else (the hands maybe?)

(tell me ) ^^

Another one ^^?
    Last edited by wizzard; December 01, 2012 at 09:46 PM.

+I like talking to you

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wizzard View Post
    (the hands maybe?)
    Bingo!

What gave the person away?

Two things point to Jack.

First, Dolan made a point to shake hands with each suspect. On Jack's hand, he found sand residue from the sandstone weapon, which prompted the detective to wipe his hands. Dolan made no such move after the other handshakes.

Then, when Dolan leaned that Jack's vehicle was parked at the entrance where they were resurfacing the asphalt, he surmised that the black circles at the scene of the crime came from the rubber tip of Jack's cane, which Jack must have removed and discarded after the crime. Not knowing about the impending divorce, Jack killed Rolly in an effort to try to win Maddy back for himself.

Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Tsugi!

+I like talking to you

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

New Mystery!!

The Case of the Ruined Roses
    "That was a neat program on UFO's," said Nina to her cousin Max as they walked down the street. "I think what really amazed me was that UFO's were reported as early as 1800."
    "That's pretty hard to believe," said Max. "Anyway, do you really believe there are such things?" Nina started to answer when they heard a loud scream coming from Coach Thornton's house.
    "Come on," shouted Max. They ran into the yard where the coach was staring at ten rose bushes that had been pulled from the ground.
    "Look at that!" he demanded. "Just look at that."
    "That's terrible," cried Nina. "Who could have done it?"

Coach Thornton looked disgusted. "I had to bench three of my best football players for cutting class. They were pretty mad at me."
    "First thing, we'd better get these roses back in the ground," said Max. "Then we'll figure out who did it."
    Nina and Max helped Coach Thornton replant the roses. Then he invited them in for milk and cookies.
    "Now," said Nina. "Am I right? You benched Sam Cartland, Mike Brooks, and Alex Avery."
    "And you lost the game," added Max.
    The coach rubbed his eyes. "I know, but rules are rules."
    "I'll bet one of them did it to get even," said Nina. "How about we nose around a little?"
    "Let's see," said Max after they left. "Coach said the roses were all right when he looked out at nine. But shortly after ten, he found them pulled up."
    "So, we check to see who doesn't have an alibi between nine and ten. Look!" Nina pointed. "There's Alex Avery over at the Dairy Bar."

Alex looked up as they came in. "Hi kids," he drawled.
    "Hello, yourself," said Max. "We missed seeing you in the football game."
    "That was a bummer all right. But I guess the coach didn't have any choice."
    "Where you been all morning?" asked Nina.
    "I've been right here since nine." He turned to the girl behind the counter. "Isn't that right, Amy?"
    "Uh huh. You helped me carry in that heavy box."
    "So you weren't anywhere near Coach Thornton's house?" asked Max.
    Alex looked surprised. "No, I'm not mad at him, but I don't intend to visit him."

After they left, Nina looked down the street. "That's Sam Cartland's house. Let's see what he's been doing."
    "What do you two want," growled Sam when he came to the door.
    "Hey, lighten up, Sam," said Max. "Can we talk with you?"
    "Sure, come on in." He pressed a button on his remote control and turned off his VCR. "I've been watching some football tapes to improve my game."
    "We wondered what you were doing between nine and ten this morning," said Nina.
    "I was right here watching that program on UFO's."
    "That was a good program," said Nina. Remember when that guy from Roswell, New Mexico insisted he had been abducted?"
    "Yeah," laughed Sam. "The one with the bushy hair. Funny how this has been going on for so long. That pilot, Kenneth Arnold, started it back in 1947 with the stuff he saw."
    "Very interesting," said Max, trying not to look bored. "But we have to get going."

"Maybe we can find Mike Brooks working out at the gym," said Nina as they left.
    "Probably," agreed Max.
    They found him on the treadmill. "Hey, you two want to join down here? It's a great place to work out."
    "Not right now," said Max. "We were wondering about what you were doing from nine to ten this morning."
    "Right here. You can check the log book. Why?"
    "Just curious," said Nina with a smile as they went back to the desk. Sure enough, Mike had signed in at five of nine.
    This is great," Nina groaned. "They all have alibis."
    "I'm not so sure of that," said Max.

Can you solve the case?

Whom does Max suspect?

Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

It's probably the 2nd one 'cause he could've taped the program and watched it earlier.

though if the the 3-rd one can't get from the roses to the gym in in 5 min it's possible he did it as well, but there is also the 2nds one mood. so the suspicion leve rises even more.

+I like talking to you

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH's Funniest Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity digitaldude's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

The 2nd one cuz he got dates wrong, UFO were seen as early as 1800 and he said 1947.

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 PM ----------

Oh wait... They all did it!!!! AAAAAAAJHHHHHHH

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

Nooooooooo!

I still say they all did it.

17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

DD, don't ruin the thread >.>

it's impossible for the 1-st one, he got a stable alibi.
    Last edited by wizzard; December 03, 2012 at 12:25 PM.

+I like talking to you

MH's Funniest Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity digitaldude's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Wizz deleted post to make me look silly?

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

The first one could've made the girl lie!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wizzard View Post
    It's probably the 2nd one 'cause he could've taped the program and watched it earlier.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldude View Post
    The 2nd one cuz he got dates wrong, UFO were seen as early as 1800 and he said 1947.
    Correct! You both have a piece of the puzzle.

Sam taped the program on UFO's and had almost finished watching it when Max and Nina showed up. He was accurate in discussing it with Nina except for the last part which he hadn't seen yet. He admitted being so angry with Coach Thornton that he pulled up his roses. He apologized to the coach and promised to do extra yard work for him.

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

The Case of the Disappearing Dimes

Nina had expected her great-great uncle's house to be like mansions in the movies, with marble columns and rose gardens, not peeling paint and a weed- filled lawn. But Dad explained that Waldo hated spending money, except on his collections.
    Nina's parents thought the kids were playing outside. Instead, they snuck into the candlelit parlor.
    "Your Mom will freak out if she catches us," Nina's cousin Max muttered.
    "I know. But Uncle Waldo traveled a lot and I never got to meet him while he was alive. I just want to see what he looks like."
    "At least turn on some lights," Max grumbled. "This is creepy."
    "Didn't you hear the lawyer talking to Mom and Dad? Uncle Waldo called the parlor his 'candle room.' He never had it wired for electricity." She crept over to the coffin and peered inside.

Waldo wore a tuxedo with a ruffled shirt and red cummerbund. His white hair was neatly combed, his nails manicured, and his diamond stickpin and silver cufflinks glittered in the candlelight.
    "He looks nice," Nina whispered.

Max took one glance inside, then pulled Nina away from the coffin. "Weird," he said. "I didn't think people wore tuxedos when they were buried."
    "He liked it. Dad said Uncle Waldo even had his portrait painted wearing this exact same outfit. He put it in his will that he wanted to be dressed for his funeral exactly the way he is in that portrait."
    Max shivered. "I wonder who had to dress him?"
    "Harvey, Waldo's assistant."
    "Like a butler?"
    "Sort of."
    "So he really was rich. Hey, your Dad was kidding about inheriting twenty cents, right?"

Nina led her cousin back down the hall. "Well, Waldo did leave Dad two dimes. But Mercury is facing the wrong way or something, and that makes them worth a lot of money. Mom said it was enough to pay my way through college someday."
    "Cool."
    "Uncle Waldo's daughter, Fiona, inherited the house and all this stuff." They entered the study where Nina's parents were talking to the lawyer, Mr. Baxter. Max gawked at Waldo's "collections." Display cases everywhere were filled with jewel-encrusted objects.
    Harvey, Waldo's assistant, handed glasses of lemonade to the kids, then left. Nina thought he looked as sour as the drink tasted.
    "Fiona arrived earlier, but you probably won't see her until the funeral tomorrow," the lawyer was saying. "Waldo requested burial near his gazebo. Harvey will dig the grave himself."
    "Poor Harvey," Dad murmured.

Baxter nodded. "At least Waldo set up a trust that will continue to pay Harvey's salary, small as it is. Now, would you like to see the dimes?"
    In the master bedroom upstairs, the lawyer twirled the combination lock on a wall safe while Nina studied the painting of Waldo that hung above the fireplace. Decked out in his tux, ruffled shirt, jade cufflinks and diamond stickpin, he seemed to wink down at her.
    Baxter removed a box from the safe and opened it.
    Everyone gasped. The box was empty.
    "Impossible!" the older man exclaimed. "They were here an hour ago."
    "The safe isn't damaged," Mom remarked. "How many people know the combination?".
    He frowned. "Just myself, Fiona and Harvey. I'd better call the police."
    "Go ahead," Dad said. "But no matter who stole the dimes, they're small enough to be hidden anywhere. Even if the police tear the house apart, I'll bet they never find them." Nina stood up, staring at the portrait. "I think I know who took the dimes," she whispered to Max. "And if I'm right, I know where they are."

Can you solve the case?

Whom does Nina suspect?

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity kdowns's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Waldo hid the coins before his death and it is hidden inside the coffin with him... Or something like that.

22. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast