Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 90

Thread: The reason Bleach has been falling in the rankings recently: a theory

  1. #61
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Country
    Alderney
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    480
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The reason Bleach has been falling in the rankings recently: a theory

    Ironic, on the first chapter of the new arc Bleach fell back to 14th.

  2. #62
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,471
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The reason Bleach has been falling in the rankings recently: a theory

    Quote Originally Posted by union98 View Post
    I think the fullbringer arc kind of slowed down popularity...It was almost as bad as Dragonball GT, but the fullbring arc got a little better at the end. It's just a little too slow for people I think which might be why Kubo has picked up the pace a little. But even here on mangahelpers, bleach isn't nearly as popular as say Naruto or One Piece. Look at the number of posts for the current Bleach chapter vs. the number of posts for the current Naruto chapter. It's not even close...
    in all fairness there is a ton of trolling and off-topic theory related conversation in the naruto prediction/discussion threads

    however conversation is still conversation and posting is still posting, so i would agree

    naruto is VASTLY more poplular right now, than bleach and rightfully so

    naruto has NEVER BEEN BETTER, it is at a climax in the plot and actually seems to get better every week

    bleach is digging itself out of a hole , and that type of thing is not done in one week

    i hope kubo puts together a masterpiece for this final arc, i think most of us who love bleach want it to end on an epic note

  3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  4. #63
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member vizardichigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Trinidad
    Country
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Age
    27
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    804
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The reason Bleach has been falling in the rankings recently: a theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Nieuwsgierig View Post
    Well, the rankings got turned around. It was third in Jump 17 (after Toriko and One Piece with Naruto as the color) and first in Jump 18 before One Piece





    When you say it was 1st and 3rd do you mean it was 1st and 3rd in ranking / sales or 1st and 3rd in actual position / placement in the volume?
    Thank You Kubo...You have proven once and for all, that Yamamoto Genryuusai is STRONGER THAN AIZEN SOUSUKE despite what the fanboys think

  5. #64
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Asclepius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ceará
    Country
    Brazil
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    7,855
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The reason Bleach has been falling in the rankings recently: a theory

    Quote Originally Posted by vizardichigo View Post
    When you say it was 1st and 3rd do you mean it was 1st and 3rd in ranking / sales or 1st and 3rd in actual position / placement in the volume?
    He's talking about the ToC.
    That's the Table of Contents, the weekly ranking of WSJ based on votes sent by readers to evaluate mangas.
    The final count of votes is made 8 editions later. So every weekly rank refers to 8 chapters ago.

    Discuss the yaoi side of Shingeki no Kyojin and Kuroko no Basket at the Boys Love section.

  6. #65
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member crimsonlink310's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    630
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The reason Bleach has been falling in the rankings recently: a theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Asclepius View Post
    He's talking about the ToC.
    That's the Table of Contents, the weekly ranking of WSJ based on votes sent by readers to evaluate mangas.
    The final count of votes is made 8 editions later. So every weekly rank refers to 8 chapters ago.
    Can you explain that a bit better to me? I read Bakuman so I got the gist of the ranking system (if what the manga says is true). But I was wondering how the first 8 chapters of a manga are ranked, or are they not ranked?

    Does ranking only start after 8 chapters? Also does that mean when a series ends, the manga will keep appearing in the TOC for 8 weeks and each time show its rank?

  7. #66
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ashher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dhaka
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,179
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The reason Bleach has been falling in the rankings recently: a theory

    as far as i know it works like this: say you buy the latest edition of jump which for example, lets assume 500th edition. then you'll the ToC. that ToC will be arranged according to the votes that the different titles got 8 editions ago, that's according to the votes that the chapters published in 492th edition. if the bleach chapter of 492 got the most vote,then it'll have the first place in toc, if one piece chapter in 492th got second most votes then it'll be placed second.

    however the exception would be the manga which got a color page in 500th edition, it'll always have the centerfold, and it'll not be counted in/placed in toc...so you won't get to know what position the 492th chapter of that manga had.

    similarly the toc published in 501 edition of jump would show the positions according to popularity of the chapters of different mangas published back in 493th edition(8edition ago).

  8. #67
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member crimsonlink310's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    630
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The reason Bleach has been falling in the rankings recently: a theory

    Thanks Ashher but I'm confused about ranking when a manga begins. Lets say Bleach started its pilot chapter in Shonen Jump edition #400. Wouldn't it appear in the rankings in #401 instead of waiting till #408?

  9. #68
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Country
    Mauritius
    Posts
    1,546
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The reason Bleach has been falling in the rankings recently: a theory

    No. There's a delay. because the first eight chapters of each series are set by the chief editor. The first three chapters get color pages, the next five either extra pages or color pages or both. They are out of concurrence because they simply wouldn't stand a chance against the established uberpopular serieses.
    Last edited by hoeru; April 15, 2012 at 08:56 PM.

  10. #69
    Custom Title 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Darjaille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wonderland
    Country
    Japan
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    4,493
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The reason Bleach has been falling in the rankings recently: a theory

    The first chapters are organizedy by editors. They're usually around the middle.

    If you wanna know more, the suitable thread for this is here P:


    I was shocked seeing Bleach so low on it's first new arc chapter, but then, we're not sure it's exactly 8 chapters, and even if it is, I'd be worried only after it stays there for more chapters. Kinda curious what will be it's place next week >_<
    I'm not worried though, the big majority finds this arc awesome so far.


    ex oriente lux

  11. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
  12. #70
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    60
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The reason Bleach has been falling in the rankings recently: a theory

    Bleach effectively ended for most people when Aizen was defeated.

    It really would have been the most logical ending point for the series...

    Everything after that will be remembered as a bunch of stuff no one cared about.

  13. #71
    Little tocs-Coming Soon 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    ...
    Country
    Pakistan
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    11,568
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The reason Bleach has been falling in the rankings recently: a theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Codejunky View Post
    Bleach effectively ended for most people when Aizen was defeated.

    It really would have been the most logical ending point for the series...

    Everything after that will be remembered as a bunch of stuff no one cared about.
    I kind of disagree. There is so much left to be uncovered, like, bankais of many characters, backstories of characters like Isshin, who is SS King, etc. With the new arc, Bleach is doing well in terms of sales and ranking.

  14. #72
    Custom Title 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Darjaille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wonderland
    Country
    Japan
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    4,493
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The reason Bleach has been falling in the rankings recently: a theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeromcd View Post
    Jump Issue #23 TOC *updated*
    Koisome Momiji (Cover, Lead Colour, New Series, 54 pg.)
    Gintama
    Toriko
    Kuroko no Basket (Center Colour)
    Naruto
    One Piece
    Nisekoi
    Hq!!
    Magico (Center Colour)
    Sket Dance
    Beelzebub
    Kurogane (Center Colour)
    Inumaru Dashi
    Pajama na Kanojo
    Bleach
    Kochikame
    Reborn!
    Medaka Box
    Nurarihyon no Mago
    Genson! Kodai Seibutsu-shi Pakky (Fin)
    Still not panicking! Only the chapters with Yuki and Shino. I can understand why it's still down there. Even though I loved the chapters, it may be only my bias since I was thrilled that the Lost Readers arc has ended.
    Although it crossed my mind that Bleach getting higher may not be as easy as I thought. I guess I'll know when the current to ~3-4 weeks ago chapters are ranked,


    ex oriente lux

  15. #73
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member crimsonlink310's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    630
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The reason Bleach has been falling in the rankings recently: a theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Nieuwsgierig View Post
    Ironic, on the first chapter of the new arc Bleach fell back to 14th.
    It was a color page so it wasn't ranked.

  16. #74
    MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Country
    United States
    Age
    31
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,870
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The reason Bleach has been falling in the rankings recently: a theory

    I think whatever the specific ranks are it's clear Bleach is in a declining period with fans.

    I think people are generally too harsh on Bleach but I find this decline easy to understand. I think the first half of the Aizen war was better than people remember, the Hueco Mundo half, but after that everything just fell to pieces. And the real problem is that those pieces were never cleaned up.

    After the Aizen war arc and the time skip that followed Bleach's characters badly needed to be re-established. The Fullbring arc was meant to do this, I think, but ultimately it just ended up focusing on developing the unneeded power-up known as Fullbring and a load of new characters which were promptly discarded. The important character work just never got done. So now we have a new arc moving in a completely different direction with a cast of character the audience isn't fully connected to.

    On top of all that this new arc seems to have a few issues of it's own.

    It's going a different direction than Hollow versus Shinigami.
    I've never been an Ishida fan so obviously I'm not exactly loving this new focus on Quincy's. I'm not sure how others feel about them but they seem a poor replacement for the much hyped Vastro Lorde Hollows to me; which was where I thought the series was going to end.

    The whole Fullbring arc needs to tie in....soon
    At the present time that arc seems like it was a spectacular waste of time, which is obviously not good. I thought the idea was bad from the get go but the concept has to at least be tied in somehow.

    Pseudo-Angel imagery
    I'm just really tired of this. It seems soooooo cliché. I felt like one of the things Bleach always had going for it, even when times were tough story-wise, was it's signature artistic style and flair. But the Power Ranger/Fullbring thing and now all this angel stuff makes 2 consecutive times were I feel the art under delivered. And I don't see much chance to turn that around in the near future.

    The knowledge that this is the end...
    I look at a chapter of Bleach now and I see a bunch of crazy unsympathetic villain Quincy's fighting against of cast of characters I don't feel like a really know anymore and then I remember that this is the end... It just seems like none of this is what I want to read and since it's the end I feel like the chances that changing are slim.

    ------------------------------------------------------------

    One Positive

    - People seem to be able to die now.

    This is nice to see. If Bleach can find an opportunity to allow fans like me to reconnect with the characters it could do good things with this. It's a shame it's so late in the proverbial game but even now it can do some good. (Plus, maybe he'll send Kishimoto an email and explain the concept)
    Last edited by Jammin; June 21, 2012 at 05:06 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]

  17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  18. #75
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Curtarc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    Portugal
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    215
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The reason Bleach has been falling in the rankings recently: a theory

    Out of the three mangas that I read(Naruto, One Piece and Bleach), Bleach is certainly in the last place in terms of personal interest. But it's only because I haven't really found the story appealing after the Hueco Mundo arc. There's something missing to the manga...

    I started with Naruto and then tried watching Bleach(anime) and I got really hooked to it when the Soul Society invasion arc started, in fact I believe that was certainly the top of the top in terms of Bleach's story, we met great characters, discovered exciting techniques and met a new and misterious place in the Bleach universe. After that I also liked the Hueco Mundo arc, with all the Espadas and Ichigo's Hollow transformation, all great stuff.

    I started to loose interest when I saw Aizen change form 1 million times, I don't know... I didn't find that Aizen fight that exciting but there were still some positive parts about it. After that, I totally found myself almost not caring if I didn't read a new episode from the manga. Characters got introduced and I didn't want to know more about them, all that fullbringer stuff seemed a bit...out of context...can't really explain it, out of place maybe? At times I wished this arc would end so that we could finally move on from the fullbringer stuff.

    This new arc, it's ok I guess, there's some mistery around, decent fights, the story is picking up faster but It's still not at the level of Naruto or One Piece. Maybe Bleach lacks more appealing characters? Maybe the main character needed to have this ultimate goal as Naruto and Luffy have? Maybe the enemies lack something? Maybe we need to see some new techniques developed?

New Reply
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts