Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 754 by cnet128 , Bleach 590 by cnet128 , Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: Grid pattern in scans

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Grid pattern in scans

whenever I scan a page, there's this grid-like pattern on it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/roym0e3jd7...ore_V2_185.png

Full size raw:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/wwhqc9crnk...ore_V2_185.tif

I've tried 5 different scanners and all of them do this, and not just on this series/page.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted hatsuharupeace's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Grid pattern in scans

Because that's how grays turn out when you resize them. They form grid patterns of white and black pixels to create the grey pattern, if you see on the original full sized raw, grays are pretty much a diamond shape of 4 black pixels. So you're not doing anything wrong, that's what's meant to happen.
    Just be careful with your Topaz Clean settings (assuming you're using it), that you don't overabuse some of the filters. Top border of the top panel, you can see in the grays where there has been no filter applied to that area, which looks a bit ugly. And try not to level as hard, it's a dark RAW, but try and keep as much detail as possible.
    But other than that, nice work.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll highlight what I meant:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/wmk7evce2s...185%282%29.png

I've seen lines like that occasionally on scanlations, but never that pattern-like. and it's on everything I scan.
    Thank you though. and I just quickly cleaned this, not really paying much attention to details ^^

EDIT:
    I guess I shouldn't really call it a grid. I remember there being more horizontal lines, but those don't actually show up on many pages.

anyways, I'm just wondering if there's some setting that's causing this, or my scanners just bad.
    Last edited by benii; November 23, 2012 at 08:12 PM.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted hatsuharupeace's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

It's the program, and the structure of the grays. It's normal, to say the least, so you don't really need to worry about it too much.

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

There's also another reason why your grays are like that; it's due to your final page size, it's at 1400px height. Different heights will give different gray structures, I had a try at cleaning that page, resized it to 1200px and the gray structure is totally different. Have a try and you'll see what I mean.

New Reply