Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2) , Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: What do you think of this new wave of anime continuations?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

What do you think of this new wave of anime continuations?

In recent years we have seen that if at anime proves popular enough it can continue or be reanimated.
    I remember back in 2000-2001 when Saint Seiya Hades arc was announced I asked myself "How can this be happening? The franchise is like 10 years old!" Other examples of this would be Kinnikuman Nisei (Title?) and Captain Tsubasa: Road to 2002, although they are continuations of the main manga, Saint Seiya Hades was not, it was the last arc of the original Saint Seiya manga.
    Now, we have seen a surge of animes that either continue where the first anime ended (Like Inuyasha new anime, which name I don´t know) a retelling (Dragon Ball Z Kai) or a complete new animation (Like Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood which reanimates and continues where the anime went different to the manga).. Now lots of projects like Hunter X Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Bereserk have been announced, other interesting thing IMO was Level E, it just feel weird for a 15 year old manga to be animated, IMO it was just a way to test the water for HXH release..

Anyway, your opinion on this? Also, what mangas should have anime which continue where they anime ended?
    IMO: Slam Dunk.

Also, I might not be seeing the big picture, of course each year there is an anime which is based on an old manga, I.e. Go Nagai´s ecchi anime and Osamu Tezuka´s Buddha movies..

But I think what is happening right now is different, with the birth rate decrease in Japan, Shonen anime needs to bring back fans that are now on its 20s or so, Ruroken, Level E and HXH are pretty much from the same time more or less.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What do you think of this new wave of anime continuations?

In general, if it's popular and there's a demand for it- why not? However, personally I'd only watch a sequel/continuation if it will help enhance a series and give something new to the table. It's not fun to watch if it'll be exactly like the original anime.

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I see the wave of anime continuations as the only upside to the anime industry taking an overly cautious approach to their programming.

Since few companies are willing to try and start up any epic new anime series, stuff like Code Geass, Eureka Seven, or Samurai Champloo, they have instead been recycling old projects that have established audiences, or producing inexpensive projects like ecchi/mystery/suspense stuff.

It's low risk low reward programming, just like reality TV. Even when they do start up a new series with a decent story, the studios haven't committed the resources necessary to give it the chance to thrive. Too often they cut corners with laughably cheap animation, or condensing the story to 13 episodes.

So instead of working on big expensive quality projects that people will want to own on DVD and Blu-Ray they have been focusing on lower quality series that few people will ever care enough about to own. Which i think explains why there has been an increased focus on continuing or restarting old series, it brings all the purchasing appeal of a big series without any of the risk.

---------------------------

The series i most want to see continued, or maybe restarted, would be History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi.

If a good animation studio worked on it i think they could turn that series into a monstrously popular one. Ecchi/Martial arts genre is pretty easy to thrive in and the previous Kenichi anime barely scraped the surface of how much goodness is in that manga.
    Last edited by Jammin; August 08, 2011 at 07:30 AM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member raptor02_2001's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    ---------------------------

The series i most want to see continued, or maybe restarted, would be History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi.

If good animation studio worked on it i think they could turn that series into a monstrously popular one. Ecchi/Martial arts genre is pretty easy to thrive in and the previous Kenichi anime barely scraped the surface of how much goodness is in that manga.

i strong agree with you because manga chapter almost 450 chapter ... i dont mind

before 2001 , most fans was underground and VHS anime not enough for Fans need but in 2011.. most of companies already streams or easily to send DVD in anywhere (Internet is big part of that )
    it is depend on demand but change time with wider audience ( not limited to Japan area) outside of Japan fan will buy anime/ manga ... it is good thing for businesses that is my theory because illegal fan-sub build fan base... Most business hate it but good thing for long term... most of fans will buy DVDs or manga without dub ... but Anime Continuation is upside will have more fans(customers) and downside high risk can lost of cost if series fail to sell ..
    Last edited by raptor02_2001; August 08, 2011 at 02:23 AM.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply