Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gutts: Strongest human in all of manga?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gutts: Strongest human in all of manga?

it was said that the longbowmen fighting for england during henry the fifths reign were so strong, they could pull a tree out of the ground.
    exaggerated of course.

yet the bows salvaged from the boat of henry the eighth needed the power of 900 newtons to be drawn. which is approximately 90 kg. and i imagine, that it would do no good being able to draw the bow only once during the whole battle. now imagine there being a whole unit (or units to be more precise) of these longbowmen. gutts is an exceptionally talented prodigy in terms of both technique and strength/speed. none of those guys i talked about before were heroes with miraculous strength seen once in a lifetime.

allright, that may just be some long forgotten stuff. what about eugen sandow - a man who broke chains wrapped around his chest simply by tensing his muscles?
    another guy could change tires on his car just with the power of his hands. and he weighed 64 kg.

over the course of years there were many athletes capable of superhuman feats - greek athletes competing in olympics, spartans, gladiators, and that is just antique greece and rome. many of the people performing in circuses also have strength that would otherwise probably be thought of as impossible or unrealistic. modern gymnasts are also incredibly strong.

the only thing that seems to be way too unrealistic is the thing with his joints. but if the circumstances were right and he was very lucky, he might be able to pull it off. i mean - he was only swinging the sword his whole life. exactly the same way. the joints might have gotten so strong to be able to deal with that kind of strain. he is afterall only 23 or something. he could still get crippled. many athletes eventually end up having wrecked bodies (balet comes to mind as the best example).

my opinion - after incredibly hard training done repeatedly over a very long time period a humans body could get so strong as gutts body was before the armor thingy. the weight of the sword hes swinging all over the place would have to be increased very slightly every time, so that his body could get used to it. the speed of swing - i would rather not discuss it...
    so! since i think that himura kenshins speed is unrealistic, and thorkell doesnt seem so strong to me (i would understand if it was the Troll), i would place gutts on top of the strong humans in manga list.

however i dont think its aproppriate to compare the strength of various heroes from various manga worlds...

OH! and ive seen a video of a four year old chinese dude born into o family of circus performers doing pushups while standing on his hands once - complete pushups. since he was holding on some kind of poles, his head was below his hands and that is one hell of a hard thing to do. who knows, maybe he will one day become a modern age gutts
    Last edited by nerothos; May 17, 2013 at 12:42 PM.

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Young Aizen's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I should have said strongest Non magical human swordsman. That sounds about right.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member The Red Dog's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    over the course of years there were many athletes capable of superhuman feats - greek athletes competing in olympics, spartans, gladiators, and that is just antique greece and rome. many of the people performing in circuses also have strength that would otherwise probably be thought of as impossible or unrealistic. modern gymnasts are also incredibly strong.
    That's an interesting post,greek athletes first used all sorts of meats then plants(tribulus) to enhance their performance.

Norse Mythology Berserk warriors used magic potions or drugged food to "transform" themselves

Quote Quote:
    the only thing that seems to be way too unrealistic is the thing with his joints. but if the circumstances were right and he was very lucky, he might be able to pull it off. i mean - he was only swinging the sword his whole life. exactly the same way. the joints might have gotten so strong to be able to deal with that kind of strain. he is afterall only 23 or something. he could still get crippled. many athletes eventually end up having wrecked bodies (balet comes to mind as the best example).
    Tendons & joints do not get stronger compared to muscles fibers,which when torn off get stronger once repaired,And Guts,more importantly swinged a sword left & right as a little Boy, a Kid's constitution is much more Fragile than a grown up,that's imo what's hard to swallow

Thanks for pointing out that pro sport is'nt healthy!

Quote Quote:
    my opinion - after incredibly hard training done repeatedly over a very long time period a humans body could get so strong as gutts body was before the armor thingy. the weight of the sword hes swinging all over the place would have to be increased very slightly every time, so that his body could get used to it
    Well,my take on this is that the human body is'nt really made for strength,after a certain amount of training,injuries inevitably fall upon us,right ? We've all experienced that.
    Zettai-Teki Seigi/Absolute Justice

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Dog View Post
    Tendons & joints do not get stronger compared to muscles fibers,which when torn off get stronger once repaired,And Guts,more importantly swinged a sword left & right as a little Boy, a Kid's constitution is much more Fragile than a grown up,that's imo what's hard to swallow
    actually they do. not the same way the muscles get stronger though. or i should probably say that they get used to the strain. for example basketball. since i am not used to running because i am lazy piece of **** my ankles might end up being sprained after a short while. and that is running in one direction. in basketball (or tennis) people almost constantly run at top speed, break and then run in the opposite direction, again at top speed. i wouldnt last 5 minutes. tennis players are able to pull that off for 3 hours. couple of times a week. every month. every year. for quite a lot of years. of course - technique is quite important there as well. thats why people have said that nadal would cripple himself eventually with that playstyle of his even before he injured his ankles (? i am not sure if it were the ankles though).

i dont know how exactly does the whole "getting stronger" work from the perspective of medicine, but even with no knowledge on the subject people can observe the results of a training on tendons or joints. i dont know what exactly happens to them (maybe they are better protected?, maybe they get more flexible?), but in the eyes of a layman like me the phrase goes like this: they get stronger. and it is no educated opinion, i know that, but i think that language is here for people to communicate their thoughts and opinions, not to ridicule them or find some mistakes just to undermine them.

one more thing. you sound like a sportsman yourself. or maybe you did some kind of sport back in the day. can you honestly say, that the tendonds and joints dont "evolve" in a way that helps us deal with a bigger load? isnt that what "getting stronger" means? (unless we overload them, naturally )
    Last edited by nerothos; May 19, 2013 at 07:17 AM.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity llamapie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Young Aizen View Post
    I should have said strongest Non magical human swordsman. That sounds about right.
    Ya "normal human" would be better. :P Cuz actual power compared to everyone else no chance. But ya I like Guts because he is natural, no chakra, no reikai, no unrealistic sources of power, just his muscles and and his guts.
    Give the best manga of all time some attention!

# of "Miura will die before Berserk is finished" comments(since Nov. 1st 2008): 92

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2