Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply

Thread: Do You Believe In Superstitions And The Supernatural?

Chibi Onihime 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Iceiphoenix's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Do You Believe In Superstitions And The Supernatural?

Do You Believe In Superstitions And The Supernatural?

Black cats, ladders, the lines on pavements, the number thirteen... all of them are to do with superstitions passed down from generations. Do you believe in them? Do you ignore them? Are there any weird/whacky superstitions from your country?

As for the supernatural... many of us would be familiar with the hit TV series 'Supernatural'. There have been many people claiming to have seen, felt or even communicate with ghosts. In school-based manga, there is almost always a character associated with the occult club. Do you believe in the supernatural? Do you have an explanation for such phenomena?

Discuss superstitions and the supernatural here!

News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do You Believe In Superstitions And The Supernatural?

I almost fell when I saw you make this thread.
    Well ahem,
    My answer is no.
    I used to believe in them but now, not as much.
    To be honest, there is a lot of superstition stuffs in singapore.
    Most of them occuring during the seventh month and on soliders or during
    our man only two years national service.
    Most of them are scary, not because of how exaggerated it is but how real it sounds.
    Let's be honest, I'm not stubborn to the extent that when I see a floating pale young lady chasing me
    and call it a sheet of clothing.
    I'm pretty sure I'll faint on spot.
    Anyway, I don't believe in them but I do respect them because I respect people that
    respect them or something.
    Science still wins over supernatural for me.
    But then.. what about the third eye?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I know a woman who considers herself a 'white witch'. When she told me about this I thought she was kidding and asked if she goes dancing around a bonfire naked in Walpurgis Night too. Her answer was "not naked, but we do celebrate it". She also explained how she practices witchcraft and works with all kinds of herbs and roots and infuses them with magic etc. So, yes, she was serious about this.

Do I believe in...
    Superstition: No. I have a black cat. If a black cat crossing my path meant bad luck I would probably be dead by now.
    Supernatural: You never know... I don't really believe in supernatural things but I'm also not sure they don't exist. There might be things we can't perceive or just don't notice. Even vampires might exist unnoticed if they 'integrate' well (and don't sparkle!).

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Devil Hunter's Avatar
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

After seeing a few creepy things when I've been in a dark room by myself--yeah, I believe in the supernatural. Because one time as I was going to bed, I clicked off my lamp and could've sworn I saw a dark silhouette immediately fly from the corner. It scared the beejeesus outta me. I would've sworn on my life that someone had been in the room with me. You know that chill that crawls up your spine? Like you just know instinctively that something is a bit "off"? That's what I felt. O_o

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

More or less like what Zelx said. I don't actually believe in them, though I do respect them. (They said that if we respect them they won't hunt us down, right? =___=)

My dad told me he saw ghosts pretty often during his youth. My mom didn't believe it at all. So I guess I stand at the middle of it. :P There might be some weird things happened that can't be explained, but sometimes I think some things are being exaggerated.

Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

of course not,I don't understand how someone can do that.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shaheer's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    Black cats, ladders, the lines on pavements, the number thirteen... all of them are to do with superstitions passed down from generations. Do you believe in them? Do you ignore them? Are there any weird/whacky superstitions from your country?
    BIG answer NO

Quote Quote:
    As for the supernatural... many of us would be familiar with the hit TV series 'Supernatural'. There have been many people claiming to have seen, felt or even communicate with ghosts. In school-based manga, there is almost always a character associated with the occult club. Do you believe in the supernatural? Do you have an explanation for such phenomena?
    well if there is any inexplicable phenomena then its super natural in a sense that present capabilities cant discert its coherence with normal circumstances
    as such yes i do belive in some sort of supernatural
    but not those common communicating with dead and stuffs

Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity alphabeta's Avatar
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

I just so happened to stumble across a list of superstitions not so long ago, wait, i'll bring it up. Here are some of the examples I picked out.

Quote Quote:
    "Dropping an umbrella on the floor means that there will be a murder in the house."

"If a friend gives you a knife, you should give him a coin, or your friendship will soon be broken."

"It is bad luck to light three cigarettes with the same match."

I don't need to comment these, do I? All i can add is a scientific explanation of the Friday the 13th phenomena. Everyone who has spent a little time studying the theory of dates knows, that every 400 years the dates repeat themselves, meaning that today in 400 years will be the same weekday as today. I don't use a specific day as not to arouse misunderstandings due to different timezones.

Anyway, like i said every 400 years the dates repeat themselves, and it was counted that in this time there simply are more Friday the 13th, then Tuesday the 13th or Sunday the 13th, and hence the amount of cassualties happing on this very 13th is naturally bigger then on all other days. Simple as that.
    Last edited by alphabeta; August 07, 2011 at 02:13 PM.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I believe there is a God (I am catholic) however I don't believe in magic (of any color), I don't believe black cats, walking under stairs or breaking a mirror will give me bad luck or that I should hit wood or throw salt at stuff to avoid bad things from happening. I do believe in the implied supernatural things that Catholics are supposed to believe however before actually believing something is a miracle or supernatural in nature I would exhaust every reasonable, logical, scientific or statistical option I have (Of course, my own ignorance in those things could hinder me in this regard but nothing I couldn't google my way out off lol).

anyone here ever suffered from sleep paralysis (check wikipedia if you don't know what that is)? Most people have that at least once in their life. Obviously with my luck I have it around 4 or 5 times a year (imagine being a kid and trying to go back to sleep right after that). I recall one time I had that came with an exceptionally strong dream. It starts with the usual symptons of feeling pressure in your chest and the sensation of not being able to move.... then I actually felt my sheets being pulled over my head to the point where my feet were not covered by them anymore. When I could finally move I started wondering what the hell just happened (I knew about sleep paralisis at the time, it simply was an exceptionally strong dream) only to realize my sheets were not in the position they should be if the dream had been real. Had a good laugh that time. I am still iffy about the time I saw a weird dude disappearing into thin air after I woke up and could move (unless the dream was so strong it felt that way although if that was the case I would have gotten the sensation of being able to move again twice, from the dream and from actually being able to move which was not the case).

New Reply