Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Favourite old-gen console games?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Hummingbird's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Favourite old-gen console games?

Now when I say old I'm thinking nothing after Playstation One (I still consider PS2 fairly new... or maybe I'm just old I dunno haha) your choices guys!

Super Nintendo: Bubsy and Super Metroid hands down. I played SM with my mum and I remember her finishing it at 1am and coming into my room to wake me up so she could show me. But she kept dying when the lava was rising Bubsy was just too cute for words (Bubsy 3D on PSOne on the other hand was an abomination, sorry guys) Disney movie games were always awesome on the SNES too...

Gameboy Color: Pokemon Red, Conker's Bad Fur Day. Legend of Zelda Ages and Seasons

PSOne: Final Fantasy VIII, Wild Arms, Tombi, Harvest Moon, Grandia, Medievil <3
    Last edited by Iceiphoenix; September 10, 2011 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Added prefix

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Favourite old-gen console games?

Super Nintendo: Super Metroid (I never played Bubsy but I agree on this one). I also liked Donkey Kong Country and Street Fighter II (aww, the music and sound effects back in the day XD)

Playstation: MediEvil, Tomb Raider II, Resident Evil

Not console, but I think it deserves an honorable mention as old school game: The Curse of Monkey Island (the Monkey Island series in general, but this one was the first I played, so I'm a little biased I guess)

News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Chrono trigger for me.
    The experience was great although by the time I was playing it, people already stopped talking about it
    I'm only 16 so I didn't get to play much of old gen except for the ps1 and it was only by coincidence that my parents received
    a super nintendo from a friend and chrono trigger with it. Ah those were the days.
    For PSONE, it has to be the Crash Bandicoot series, Chocobu dunegon, FF7, Spider 1 and 2 !

and
    Quote Quote:
    Tombi,
    This game is so simple and great. I love this the most back then.
    I still remember the theme for fishing village for tombi 2
    oh and the last boss stage was scary

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HegemonKhan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I am the old school gaming generation, hehe. the gaming industry has been faithfully following my generation hehe. What are all the games now? adult/mature games, because me and my generation are adults now, hehe. As I and my generation has aged, so have the games of the gaming industry to match me and my generation's new age as we gotten older and older.

my console history: Atari -> NES + old Apple Comps > SNES + old MACs -> PS1 + PCs

I used to play or have played or still play:

Spoiler: PC show

Spoiler: SNES show

Spoiler: NES show

Spoiler: GB - the original show

Spoiler: MAC show

Spoiler: PS1 show

Spoiler: Arcade show

Last edited by HegemonKhan; August 30, 2011 at 02:20 PM.
    "The internet’s perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain’t one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional “live audience” quickly conspire to create a “perfect storm” of perpetual bickering." - Charlie Brooker

"I hold the wolf by the ears, I am in a dangerous situation and dare not let go" -an old saying in Latin

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, no love for Fire Emblem?!

My favorites from the SNES are Fire Emblem 4 - Seisen no Keifu and Fire Emblem 5 - Thracia 776
    Avoiding debates with people below a certain level of English comp.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't choose among SNES, NES, Playstation, and Sega Genesis. They were my favorite and loved playing on those consoles: Street Fighter, McDonald's, Time Crisis, Sonic the Hedgehog, etc. My cousins and I had epic time playing the games.

I regret selling NES and Genesis. T_T

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Host Samurai's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

NES: Megaman 2-4, Super Mario.
    SNES: Mortal Kombat, Donkey Kong
    N64: Mario Party, Smash Brothers, Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    PSOne: Final Fantasy VIII - IX, Metal Gear Solid, Tekken 1-3

These are the games that I enjoyed playing back in the days but unfortunately I couldn't get my hands on Final Fantasy VII among critics and fans that's the best one in the entire series. I hope that Square Enix will do a remake for the PS3 or for the next generation. So that I can also play the game like many others before me. Anyway, these are the game that came in my mind first.
    Last edited by Host Samurai; September 08, 2011 at 10:59 AM.

Credits:Shinsatsu

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Old school... Lots of memories.

(@ Hegemon: Woooooah... O__O)

SNES was my core generation when I was little. Before that, the NES was sort of out of my league. I mean, I was too young to fully understand the NES. I could play Duck Hunt and that was the limit. So, when I transferred to another elementary school, the SNES was my main instrument to play. Certain games like Super Mario World, Mario Paint, Zelda: ALttP, Krusty's Fun House, Super Mario All Stars, Lagoon, and etc. caught my liking. I also played a lot of old school redemption arcade games when I went to the movie theater, dentist, or an entertainment center. I recently saw Dragon's Lair in Best Buy, for the DS, and I went all giddy. =.= I'm still contemplating whether to get such an innovated piece of Don Bluth art that I use to play on the arcade game system.

Note: Just because I was too young to understand the NES doesn't mean I was exactly out of NES's life. I use to try to find those Captain N and Super Mario comics because those were fun to read. (Too young to understand that a Captain N cartoon actually existed, but thank you internet for letting me know...)

But that didn't stop there. I still have my original Game Boy and Game Boy Colors sitting in dust. I use to have a Sega Genesis and Game Gear. I owned two N64s, but I suppose, N64 is not considered "old school" yet. (Now, the only N64 I have left is dead. >__< I think my SNES is still alive though.)

Favorite game for original Game Boy: tie between Kirby's Dream Land and Poke'mon Red.
    Game Boy Color: Donkey Kong remake
    Game Gear: Lion King
    Sega Genesis: The main Sonic games. I love them so much that I bought them for the PS2 since I no longer have a Genesis.
    Super Nintendo: Too many to say. Donkey Kong Country topped the list as one of the several games I use to play often.
    Redemption arcade (so I don't actually miss out on older old school games): a particular shooting in space game, Moonwalker, and the Simpsons Arcade game.
    PC game: the one and only original Donkey Kong.

I had no interest in the Play Station One. I could only watch other people play it during those days. (Hence, when Kingdom Hearts came, I fell in love with the PS2...)

Geeze how time flies. Twenty years from now, we'll still be looking back on our memories....
    Last edited by tgirl; September 08, 2011 at 11:29 AM.

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Paper's Avatar
    Country
    Earth Kindom
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a 3-way tie between the N64, Gameboy Color, and the PS1. Why? Because Ocarina of Time, Mario Kart 64, Starfox 64, Pokemon, and Suikoden II were the five games that made my childhood memorable.

No SNES titles since I never owned one. I used to go to a friends house just to play the original Suikoden.
    Last edited by Paper; September 14, 2011 at 07:33 AM.

Kuronekooo~!

Uchuujin 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Super Mario on the SNES, it was my first game and I absolutely loved it

Smash Brother and Mario Party on the N64

Ah you could really feel the love the programmers put in their games

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Enn's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

As for the really old ones, I remember I liked playing Contra.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Contra and Super C-Contra, and Donkey Kong Country, were both cool too.

I'm not sure if I played Fire Emblem, as I might be getting that confused with the Dragon View / Drahken game...

Is Fire Emblem, more like the traditional RPGs (like FF 1-4 and Dragons Warrior/Quest ~1-4), ???

----------------

Naruto-niichan,

do you mean Super Mario World for the SNES ??

have you played the NES' Super Mario Brother games (1-3) ???

They were really challenging as a kid, and still are now, hehe.

---------------

For any of you who've played:

NES: SMB 1-3
    SNES: SMW

which one do you like the best out of these 4 ???
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; January 22, 2012 at 05:36 PM.
    "The internet’s perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain’t one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional “live audience” quickly conspire to create a “perfect storm” of perpetual bickering." - Charlie Brooker

"I hold the wolf by the ears, I am in a dangerous situation and dare not let go" -an old saying in Latin

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member faintsmile1992's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HegemonKhan View Post
    I am the old school gaming generation, hehe. the gaming industry has been faithfully following my generation hehe. What are all the games now? adult/mature games, because me and my generation are adults now, hehe. As I and my generation has aged, so have the games of the gaming industry to match me and my generation's new age as we gotten older and older.
    Where 'mature' means ultra realistic violence and blood rather than content lol. And don't forget XBox Live, where anonymous people can swear and send send stupid anonymous death threats to one another. Like over and over again and never get bored. And unless its got 'death and blood in it', games are for kids. One really weird thing is that these people seem to think the media stereotype is of some kid in his bedroom, when the real stereotype of today's gamer is some overweight 30 year old wierdo with SAS fantasies, who never goes outside.

Quote Quote:
    my console history: Atari -> NES + old Apple Comps > SNES + old MACs -> PS1 + PCs
    The oldest we have is a PlayStation 1 that only works when you turn it upside down lol. I'm not a fan of PlayStation games, though. They were mostly car racing games and a few more I didn't like, like Grand Theft Auto and Metal Gear Solid. I know there were supposed to be some decent Japanese games on the PS1 but this was a British one.

The next console in our house is a Nintendo Wii, and right now I want a Japanese XBox 360. Its probably because of my lack of interest in the PS1 we never got a PS2 but then again, I'd only have wanted a Japanese one.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Faintsmile
    Where 'mature' means ultra realistic violence and blood rather than content lol. And don't forget XBox Live, where anonymous people can swear and send send stupid anonymous death threats to one another. Like over and over again and never get bored. And unless its got 'death and blood in it', games are for kids. One really weird thing is that these people seem to think the media stereotype is of some kid in his bedroom, when the real stereotype of today's gamer is some overweight 30 year old wierdo with SAS fantasies, who never goes outside.
    Laughs... thanks for your positive assessment of me... laughs... though I'm not sure what SAS stands for...

and yes, I do agree that modern games have become all "glitz and glammour" but no substance. NES and especially SNES were the GOLDEN YEARS of gaming, especially RPGs, they made the best games of all time, with excellent game play, smooth game content (ignoring the sometimes numerous bugs, sighs), and awesome stories !!!

it's the same with movies too... the 80's and 90's had the best movies of all time, with excellent and gripping and interesting stories... now modern movies are so boring and lamely "who can make the best CG movies", with no story or content at all.

--------------

I didn't like the PS1's CD load time... and I only got it as unfortunately, the RPGs and Fighting Games, moved onto this console and at the time I considered the PS1 to be better than the Nintendo's newer consoles, as the older consoles were becoming obsolete and phased out, sighs.

Tekken 3 (own), FF 7 (own), FF 8 (rented only), VS. (own), Tactics Ogre (own), MGS (own), and Breath of Fire 3 (rented only) were my only games I either bought or played-rented.
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; January 22, 2012 at 05:51 PM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member faintsmile1992's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually I do like R-Type Delta on the PS1.

My uncle used to be well into modchipping, pirating and all that, and he used to own a few of each different console. If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have seen a Megadrive or a Super Nintendo. Or as some of them were called, a Genesis or a Super Famicom.

Would you believe although I love Hope Estheim I've never played a Final Fantasy game?
    Last edited by faintsmile1992; January 22, 2012 at 05:55 PM.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast