Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/15/14 - 9/21/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are all #1s Offensive Types?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Are all #1s Offensive Types?

Just what the title saids. So far I haven't noticed any defensive type claymore that attend the #1 ranking. As matter of fact, I think the highest known ranked claymore that's also a defensive type was Galatea (Rank 3 or technically rank 2). I could be wrong though! There are a few #1s that was never confirmed to be offensive or defensive types, but I think they all shows up as offensive types as to me.
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; August 04, 2011 at 05:32 PM.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HegemonKhan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are all #1s Offensive Types?

officially we don't know many Claymores' types, especially the rank 1 Claymores/Awakeneds, and without that we can't really say whether they are offensive or defensive type on our own, as both offensive and defensive types have been seen with opposing skills (defensive types with offensive skills and offensive types with defensive skills) and/or we have no idea if they value their own life (defensive type) or if they seek their target regardless of their own lives (offensive type).

---------------------------------------

here's my stuff on Offensive and Defensive Types and my list:

(please add to it or correct it, if you know of something, you'll need proof, the source within the manga for verification)

(also, this is old, it hasn't been updated, such as with Hysteria, Cassandra, and Roxanne, yet)

(I'll try to update it a bit with the new Claymores)

Quote Originally Posted by HegemonKhan
    Offensive vs Defensive Types

----

also, it's brief in the manga, so it's easy to miss, but it seems that most Claymores CAN regenerate back HUMAN body parts (absent of Yoma flesh apart of it), but obviously they are weaker body parts, lol. Whereas regeneration of their CLAYMORE body parts (themselves, as Claymores), is very difficult to do, even for defensive types, both offensive and defensive types have to be powerful/high ranking to use regeneration. But, offensive types have to be more powerful/higher ranking than defensive types have to be in order to do regeneration (of Claymore body parts).

(you'll probably notice a bit of an "issue" with being able to regenerate HUMAN body parts back... like I have.... could not a Claymore let herself get chopped to pieces... and than regenerate back HUMAN body parts, effectively "de-Claymorizing" herself?)

(we just have to ignore this and presume it is an oversight by Yagi, lol)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

list of offensive/defensive types:

(i'll have both my opinion and factual cases in here... not sure if I'll label which are my opinions and which are factual, depends how lazy i am)

Offensive Type:

duty/mission/objective is more important than death. their life is less important to them than to a defensive type. they're more reckless with their lives. they choose to protect via attacking the threat/target instead of directly protecting the one they want to from attack from the threat/target.

defensive type:

their own life is utmost importance to them (i.e. Deneve's back story). they will protect another by directly protecting that other from attack from the threat/target.

In other words:

there's really not a difference between offensive and defensive in terms of their skills/abilities, but only in their personalities/behaviors. Yes, generally offensive types have the Sword Techniques, but defensive types can as well, like Audrey. Yes, defensive types require a less power level than do offensive types to use regeneration, but offensive types can regenerate, if powerful enough (same for defensive types, regeneration requires a minimum power level and yoki amount to use it), such as with offensive type Awakened Ophelia (whom was too weak to regenerate as an offensive type Claymore), offensive type ABs, offensive type AOs, and offensive type rank 1 Claymore Rafaela.

Claymore list:

Isley, Rigardo, Dauf, Riful, Luciela, Rafaela, Rosemary, Teresa, Irene, Sophia, Noel, Elda, Priscilla, Alicia, Beth, Galatea, Ophelia, Hilda, Miria, Eva, Flora, Jean, Undine, Veronica, Cynthia, Deneve, Eliza, Lily, Cuinee, Helen, Zeruda, Amelia, Wendy, Tabatha, Katea, Pamela, Claudia, Natalie, Carla, Yuma, Matilda, Juliana, Diana, Clare, Elena, Raquel, Kate, Lucia, Audrey, Miata, Rachel, Renee, Anastasia, Dietrich, Nina, Raftela, Nike, Clarice, Keira, Phina, Cassandra, Elizabeth, Neideen, Uranus, Roxanne, Hysteria, Chloe, Licht, Lutecia, Sistina, Agatha

Key:

F = fact
    O = opinion (mine)
    O/F or F/O = might be a fact, but I'm not sure or can't remember if said in manga or not
    ? = unknown type (I can't even opinionly tell)

Offensive Types:

Isley - O
    Rigardo - F/O (credit to Khorr, thanks!)
    Dauf - O
    Riful - O
    Luciela - O
    Rafaela - F
    Rosemary - O
    Teresa - O
    Irene - F
    Sophia - O
    Noel - O
    Priscilla - O
    Alicia - O
    Beth - O
    Ophelia - F
    Miria - O/F
    Flora - O/F
    Jean - F (credit to khorr, thanks!)
    Undine - O/F
    Helen - F/O
    Clare - F
    Miata - O/F
    Rachel - O/F
    Dietrich - O/F
    Nina - O/F
    ~Clarice - O
    Agatha - O

Defensive Types:

Galatea - F
    Veronica - F
    Cynthia - F
    Deneve - F
    Tabatha - O/F
    Yuma - F (I think so, but maybe she's O/F)
    Audrey - F
    Renee - O/F

Unknown Types:

Elda - ?
    Hilda - ?
    Eva -?
    Eliza - ?
    Lily - ?
    Cuinee - ?
    Zeruda - ?
    Amelia - ?
    Wendy - ?
    Katea - ?
    Pamela - ?
    Claudia - ?
    Natalie - ?
    Carla - ?
    Matilda - ?
    Juliana - ?
    Diana - ?
    Elena - ?
    Raquel - ?
    Kate - ?
    Lucia - ?
    Raftela ?
    Clarice - ?
    Anastasia - ?
    Nike - ?
    Phina - ?
    Keira - ?
    Chloe - ?
    Licht - ?
    Sistina - ?
    Lutecia - ?
    Hysteria - ?
    Cassandra - ?
    Roxanne - ?
    Uranus - ?
    Neideen - ?
    Elizabeth - ?
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; August 07, 2011 at 11:05 PM.
    "The internet’s perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain’t one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional “live audience” quickly conspire to create a “perfect storm” of perpetual bickering." - Charlie Brooker

"I hold the wolf by the ears, I am in a dangerous situation and dare not let go" -an old saying in Latin

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner melvo 17's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

roxanne may be a defensive type

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Roxanne's probably neither at this point. However, her Yoki Suppression ability leads to the idea that she's probably an offensive type. Clare's an offensive type and possesses a similar ability. Priscilla is almost certainly an offense type, and as a claymore, she could fight with her Yoki completely suppressed/hidden. However, she wasn't as effective that way.

Roxanne regenerates her eye after it's been destroyed for a significant period of time; well, that, or it was never actually destroyed. Galatea is a defensive type, yet she's unable to regenerate her eyes after such a long period of time.

8. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you sure Galatea is unable to regenerate her eyes? I was under the impression that she chose not to.

10. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HegemonKhan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Galatea probably can Regenerate the eyes, but they are the hardest body part to Regnerate so maybe she couldn't, we just don't know. Rank 1 Offensive Type Rafaela could Regenerate the eyes, however, Rank 22 HA Ghost Helen could not, needing Cynthia's "Supportive Regeneration" Ability's help.

However, Regeneration requires MEMORY in order to "Re-Construct" the body parts, and so after a certain amount of time, due to the degradation of MEMORY, Regeneration becomes impossible.

And that time had long passed already for Galatea.

Also, probably she intentionally gouged out her own eyes in order to enter Rabona in order to hide from Dietrich, and while in Rabona she needed her lack of eyes as it was still hostile to Claymores at this point. Only after Agatha, did Rabona finally accept Claymores, however as I said it's been far too long (many years), and Galatea isn't able to Regerate her eyes anymore.
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; August 05, 2011 at 11:19 PM.
    "The internet’s perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain’t one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional “live audience” quickly conspire to create a “perfect storm” of perpetual bickering." - Charlie Brooker

"I hold the wolf by the ears, I am in a dangerous situation and dare not let go" -an old saying in Latin

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Vengeance's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Galatea chose to not regenerate her eyes so she could stay hidden within Robona. Since many years have past since she lost her eyesight her body has forgotten how to repair them at this point. It's mentioned somewhere that in order to regenerate lost parts it should be done as soon as possible or else you'll loss the chance to actually do it.

Edit: Anyway number one's should ideally be offensive types since ideally offensive type claymore should have a higher potential to deal damage.
    Last edited by Vengeance; August 06, 2011 at 06:43 PM.

14. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Rigardo was most likely offensive.

According to Helen from chapter 59

(Helen stealing Rigardo's fallen arm after Half Awaken Clare chops it off)

Helen: You used to be an offensive type right? Does that mean even if you awake, you don't just suddenly become good at instant regeneration?
    Rigardo: Ch... Damn small fry.

Jean is a confirmed offensive type

Chapter 60

(Jean trying to get AWOL 1/2 AB Clare to turn back)

Jean: You should understand this clare... I'm an offensive type warrior... So the wound in my stomach was already lethal.

Moderator message by: HegemonKhan
    Thank you! I've adjusted my post above. But, I'm not putting Rigardo as a Fact though, as unfortunately, it was never actually confirmed, lol and argh.
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; August 07, 2011 at 11:18 PM.

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Banned 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    Roxanne regenerates her eye after it's been destroyed for a significant period of time; well, that, or it was never actually destroyed.
    Her eye was destroyed.

RANT: Not only do they show the condition her eye was in but if you pay attention to her character development and maybe even her neurosis, it's easy enough to see why she would have allowed herself to get injured or even destroy her own eye on purpose. Roxanne has a disorder wherein she needs to "become" the person she admires. Some people do things like dress as the person they're obsessing over, talking like them, changing their appearance and in some really disturbing cases go so far as to eat that persons hair or nail clippings. Usually the individual in question has several shortcomings and they "depend on others" to overcome them if you read between the lines. In Roxanne's case for whatever reason she either doesn't consider herself a strong person or a strong Claymore. Regardless she'll do anything to change that, even going so far as to assimilate the abilities of other Claymores and doing anything she has to do.

Whether it be injuring herself or getting down with her fine ass.

Typically after the "patient becomes" the object of their adoration they're immediately faced with an identity crisis. Once they become that person they admire they cannot, in their realm of logic, allow the actual person to continue existing. Why? Because the existence of the real individual reminds the patient that they're fake. In Roxanne's case she felt that in acquire the skills of certain Claymore she became that warrior and as such, could not allow them to live. At the risk of sounding cliche "There can be only one." This may have led to Roxanne killing Cassandra after she was "done" with her.

Sorry for the rant. In any case Roxanne is an interesting case. She appears to be an offensive type but given that she was able to regenerate her eye after what must have been a couple months, she seems to be more of the defensive type. Could it be that Roxanne is able to change what type of Claymore she is through her amoeba-like ability? This is why I said earlier that Roxanne was a copy cat Claymore a CCC. Suppose Roxanne is trolling for a defensive type. She does the usually stalking, training, thing and then offs her. She could be a defensive type herself after doing so. A few months later a fine-ass offensive type like Cassandra catches her eye. She does the usual skit she does and not only acquires new skills but changes her classification.
    Last edited by ZERO PHOENIX; August 08, 2011 at 03:37 PM.

18. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

According to the wiki Isley was a defensive warrior.

20. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by White Silver King View Post
    According to the wiki Isley was a defensive warrior.
    There is conflicting info if you're refering to information from Wikia. Isley is listed as defensive on his page but offensive on the abyssal one page. I think some info they used on the wiki was based on the Claymore databook and openions of the person that made the entry. I tends to not take the databook and Wikia as solid proof and only use words from the manga itself 100% undisputed proof.

22. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity hakuthehedgehog's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, Isley was able to regenerate after multiple blows without a problem in his human form.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Executor View Post
    On that topic, anyone else think Naruto's the type of guy who would cry after sex?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikudou King View Post
    I fount it interesting that had Kushina not gotten knocked up, None of them would be in the current situation. She's more responsible for the Uchiha massacre then Danzo and co. Crap, Now Sasuke has a valid reason to use his hatred against Naruto.
    LMFAO

24. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hakuthehedgehog View Post
    Well, Isley was able to regenerate after multiple blows without a problem in his human form.
    I think we has established a while ago on this forum that regeneration is not an unique feature only available to defensive types. Defensive types have easier time regenerating but so does having massive amount of yoki like any of the abyssal ones.

Chapter 64:

Rubel to Rafaela: "You look like they mopped the floor with you. What's up with that left eye? Even if you are an offensive type, you should be able to regenerate it."
    Last edited by Khorr; August 13, 2011 at 02:27 PM.

26. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    I tends to not take the databook and Wikia as solid proof
    You do know that databooks are compendiums of information made by the author themselves for the express purpose of clearing things up in the manga, right?

28. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by White Silver King View Post
    You do know that databooks are compendiums of information made by the author themselves for the express purpose of clearing things up in the manga, right?
    I'm not disputing that the databook is wrong or right, and its most likely right but it could use some updates. A lot has happend since the databook came out. I'm just saying it's a supplemental source of information that needs to be consider carefully because it's not the manga itself. The same with the anime. While I do appreciate all the extra source of information from various sources outside the main manga itself but, I tend to take information from them with a grain of salt. If we use the databook, then we can confirm Teresa, Priscilla, Helen, Sophia, Noel... etc.. of their type. For the purpose of this thread, I prefer to only considering evidence from the manga itself because that is 100% unless Yagi starts to flip flop on things, which I haven't seen him done yet. I guess I'm just a Claymore fundamentalist that prefers to just use information directly from the source.

As for the conflicting information on Wikia about Isley being defensive on one page and offensive on another. I can only guess.

UPDATE (8/13): Strange.... maybe my mind is playing trick on me but both pages lists Isley as offensive now on Wikia. I could of sworn one page listed him as defensive type this morning.
    Last edited by Khorr; August 13, 2011 at 08:50 PM.

30. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast