Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi

View Poll Results: Is Meleoron really Jairo?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 14.63%
  • No

35 85.37%
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is Meleoron really Jairo?

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted THM Nindo's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Meleoron really Jairo?

I'm surprised that there wasn't a thread created for that earlier.

This has been a theory for a while now, and have been discussed in other threads, but I tought it might be good if there was an official thread to discuss it.

So, you can list all your reason why you think he is or isn't Jairo.

-----

Let me first comment on their names.

Many are using the similairities between their names (Jairo vs Jail) to point out that maybe Meleoron was actually saying "Jair", since L and R are the same things in Japan.

I've checked and got the actually Katakana used in the manga, so that we can actually compare the names:

Jairo (Gyro): ジャイロ

Romaji: Je-i-ro
    Pronounced - Jay-ee-ro

Jail: ジェイル

Romaji: Ja-i-ru
    Pronounced - Ja-ee-r

Although they sound similar in English, they are not using the same Katakana in Japanese...

True love will conquer everything
    The question now is : which of those two loves, is the true one?!

Jiraiya's timeline : here
    Zetsu, the strongest villain of Akatsuki : here

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    The True Ninja MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted jorped's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Meleoron really Jairo?

I never for once had the impression that Jairo was Meleoron though i couldn't really bet. As a lot of people have already pointed that are some pages that indicate that Jairo isn't Meleoron much likely. Meleoron is good and i don't really think that he is hiding something, but we never know. But i really expect Jairo to be someone that we still haven't see.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the most important detail here is that being evil does not mean the character in question necessarily has to be the sort of dude who drinks the blood of newborns from the skulls of virgins.... Jairo was supposed to be evil but seeing him connect with others does not mean he isn't. More importantly, jairo was stated to have been a king, a true leader of sorts. Regardless of him wanting to bring evil to the world, he necessarily needed other people to follow him if he was to start a nation on his own and be king. This is even dramatically more important if he was to do so from scratch considering he was the son of a worthless bum with no contacts, influence or education of any sort whatsoever. Jairo necessarily has to be a calculating, manipulating and smart guy with so much charisma that it actually would seem to ooze out of his pores and stick to others. Without at least that much charisma, there is no way he could have possibly gotten a nation together.

Also, being as evil as jairo does not mean he cannot have friends and people to relate too. Heck, even evil assholes need people they care about, even if their purpose is to use them. You don't create a nation alone, you need people to follow you for that. Even if we consider real life ruthless murderous dictators who recklessly killed their own and their enemies you will eventually find that they did in fact had their families who they loved, friends who they respected and so on.... I guess it can be hard to see folks like hitler or castro with laughing with their friends and family rather than plotting how to destroy the world and waiting someone to give the james bond special too (reveal their evil plot and whatnot).

Not sure if the name spelling is much of a big deal here. For one thing, it did not seem like meleoron actually finished saying the name he was originally going to say. Even then, it is far too similar, can't names be writting differently but sound the same in the end?

The abilities meleoron has are far too easy to relate to jairo's mentality when he was a kid. This is perhaps the biggest piece of evidence, this cannot be skipped basically.

Now, there is an issue here, One way or the other, meleoron is not the guys real name. He for some reason gave everyone a fake name. Why would he do it? The most likely reason for him to give a fake name is that his original name could be identified by everyone there even though they had not met before. This means meleoron definitely has to be someone random people could identify by name as there is no way they would recognize him from when he was human.

We also have to consider jairo was stated to have been devoured.... He is most definitely an ant by now one way or the other.

Names are one thing but everything else does seem to point towards him being the evil bastard in question.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

@kkck, did you vote?

Your post strongly suggest that you believe Meleoron is Jairo, but then, no one voted Yes to the poll...

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member NoFreakingWay's Avatar
    Country
    Fiji
    Post Thanks / Like

If you would look up the little discussion I had with Uriel and the other guy (I forgot his username) about Jairo being Meleoron in the Chapter 311 Discussion/Chapter 312 Prediction thread, you would see all of the reasons as to why and how I think Jairo is really Meleoron.

If you would want me to post all of the ideas and theories I put forward in that thread here, please reply and I will arrange them in a neat little post. I won't bother posting the counter-arguments of Uriel and the other guy because I don't want to be accused of "adding words to make my arguments look plausible", even though I never did. It's going to be my off tomorrow, so I'll be able to do so.

Jairo certainly does seem to have a soft side to him. Werefin remembered Jairo fondly after he gave up/ was defeated by Ikarugo. He seems to be like a brother to Werefin. So it's confirmed Jairo is not totally evil, he does have a friendly side somehow.

About the differences in the pronunciation of the name, that is what happens sometimes when you stop yourself from speaking, realizing that you're about to make a mistake, and trying to cover up for it by saying something else, especially when you've just held your breath for some time. Might also be that Meleoron realized he was gonna make a mistake before he was about to say the name, so that changed even the pronunciation of the first syllable.

And yes, Jairo is an ant now. Big thing to consider.

Anyhow, whatever the result, I'll stand by my vote that Jairo is Meleoron until the big reveal. I'll face the results like a man.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NoFreakingWay View Post
    If you would look up the little discussion I had with Uriel and the other guy (I forgot his username) about Jairo being Meleoron in the Chapter 311 Discussion/Chapter 312 Prediction thread, you would see all of the reasons as to why and how I think Jairo is really Meleoron.

If you would want me to post all of the ideas and theories I put forward in that thread here, please reply and I will arrange them in a neat little post. I won't bother posting the counter-arguments of Uriel and the other guy because I don't want to be accused of "adding words to make my arguments look plausible", even though I never did. It's going to be my off tomorrow, so I'll be able to do so.

Jairo certainly does seem to have a soft side to him. Werefin remembered Jairo fondly after he gave up/ was defeated by Ikarugo. He seems to be like a brother to Werefin. So it's confirmed Jairo is not totally evil, he does have a friendly side somehow.

About the differences in the pronunciation of the name, that is what happens sometimes when you stop yourself from speaking, realizing that you're about to make a mistake, and trying to cover up for it by saying something else, especially when you've just held your breath for some time. Might also be that Meleoron realized he was gonna make a mistake before he was about to say the name, so that changed even the pronunciation of the first syllable.

And yes, Jairo is an ant now. Big thing to consider.

Anyhow, whatever the result, I'll stand by my vote that Jairo is Meleoron until the big reveal. I'll face the results like a man.
    Well... I did create that thread so that we can discuss about it.
    It would be great if you could post your arguments in here.

Country
    Fiji
    Post Thanks / Like

About Peggy: It's either Peggy is the old geezer who took care of Jairo when he was sick, or Meleoron lied about him being his foster father.

http://www.mangareader.net/207-14251...apter-242.html
    http://www.mangareader.net/207-14251...apter-242.html
    http://hunterxhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Peggy

If Peggy is Meleoron's foster father, and if Peggy is the old geezer that lived next door that took care of Jairo when he was a kid, it would make sense. Jairo did owe the old geezer a great deal when Jairo was sick. However, one would have to assume that the old geezer lived through the 9 years that took Jairo to found NGL and the years NGL has been in existence until they were devoured by vermin, err, Chimera Ants and reborn. If the old geezer did live through those years, the closeness Jairo and Peggy might have had should be self-explanatory in most cases, but I will still explain it. Jairo could have just repaid the kindness and concern of the old geezer by sticking with him throughout the tough times, and in turn, made the old geezer proud and fatherly enough to Jairo to want to carry around the NGL manual all the time, which is Jairo's creation. Also, this would reinforce the reason for Meleoron's actions, which is, as he claims, to avenge his father.

If what Meleoron said about Peggy being his foster father is a lie, it would still make sense, in the context of using this emotional reason to make an ally out of Gon, which would aly him with the Hunters. He must have found Gon was with the Hunters while spying on him, which he could do when he was offscreen after him and the other Division Commanders dispersed from the old colony after the Queen died. He might have also been spying on Gon and the Hunters earlier.

---

About the clothes: Jairo wore a heavier hooded... jacket (lol I ran out of English) than Meleoron. All while strolling in a hot-looking place crowded with people. Why Jairo would wear that would make sense if he's Meleoron in that it does the following:

1. The hood cover's the face in a way Meleoron's hood didn't.

http://www.mangareader.net/207-14198...apter-189.html
    http://www.mangareader.net/207-14213...apter-204.html

2. Meleoron wouldn't have to use Zetsu, In, his nameless first Invisibility ability (which would most like still use Nen, and gives off things like smell anyways, which would make him suspect to things like Hunters and chimera Ants alike; also the invisibility can be overridden by En), and Perfect Plan (which is dumb, since that means he will have to hold his breath) to hide amongst people. If Jairo wanted to use Zetsu he wouldn't have to use the heavy clothing then.

3. The heavy clothing effectively hides Meleoron's tail, which the clothing he normally uses doesn't do at all.

4. The shoes hide Meleoron's feet, and Meleoron's feet are small enough to wear normal human shoes.

---

There's no mention about Jairo leaving the nest ever since he was born, what was said in the manga was that Jairo left the Queen's control and had enough will and determination to resist the Queen's orders. He could still be Meleoron if this is the case. He could just hang around, acting like he's Ant-minded, just to cover up the fact that he still has his pride. All while planning for the best set of moves.

http://www.mangareader.net/207-14212...apter-203.html

---

Here is a small comparison of Chimera Ants that wanted to move against the King in some way.

1. Leol: Tried to make his way up using favors, waiting for the day the King might owe him one, so that he could have his ability. Did not ally himself with humans.

2. Ikarugo: Defected from the King's side after finding a friend in Killua.

3. Werefin: Wanted to become a "Shadow King". Became an unwilling accomplice by the Hunters after giving up against Ikarugo. Did not seek help from humans

4. Other Division Commanders like the crocodile, Zazan and Zitoh: wanted to become Kings in their own way, that doesn't necessarily pit them against the King. Did not seek help from humans.

4. Meleoron: Actively spied on Gon, and approached him to be his ally in his vengeance against the King. Sought help from humans, especially from a Hunter. This would effectively make him an ally of other Hunters, who are the ones who have the capability of actually defeating the King.

Meleoron's approach would fit with Jairo's mindset which is logical and constructive.

---

The ability to make friends: Jairo had a friend in Werefin's former life, and the latter remember the former fondly.

http://www.mangareader.net/207-47012...apter-296.html
    http://www.mangareader.net/207-47012...apter-296.html

Meleoron hit it off with Knuckle. If Jairo and Meleoron are the same, although they might be planning some evil things, it just shows that they could still be charismatic (so Meleoron could be Specialization?)

---

I have already said something about the name controversy and the traits of Jairo linking to Meleoron's abilities.

---

Now, I don't know if these are all of the ideas I posted about Jairo being Meleoron, because I didn't read through all my related posts yet. But hopefully this covers most of the points. I would do a review of my posts again to see if there are some points I missed.
    Last edited by NoFreakingWay; August 11, 2011 at 01:42 AM.

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Philippine
    Post Thanks / Like

if meleoron is jairo i would stop reading hxh

Country
    Fiji
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chikkychappy View Post
    if meleoron is jairo i would stop reading hxh
    Why is that? You think meleoron would make for a boring Jairo? You just can't stand Meleoron's warts (somehow erased in Meleoron's later appearances)

http://www.mangareader.net/207-14198...apter-189.html

Yeah that is some guy in a dire need of a dermatologist.

But, seriously, why would you stop reading HxH for a guy who has offered so much hype when he was just probably beaten up by grunts (making him weaker than the Ryodan)?
    Last edited by NoFreakingWay; August 24, 2011 at 02:53 AM.

Country
    Philippine
    Post Thanks / Like

does anyone honestly still think that meleoron is jairo after this chapter?

Quote Originally Posted by NoFreakingWay View Post
    But, seriously, why would you stop reading HxH for a guy who has offered so much hype when he was just probably beaten up by grunts (making him weaker than the Ryodan)?
    i don't mean that. i mean that i'm so sure meleoron isn't jairo that i'm willing to bet something important: reading hxh itself
    Last edited by chikkychappy; September 09, 2011 at 02:26 AM.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Welll, I think the arguments shown by NoFreakingWay are strong and you could believe it's true...but I don't. It's not enough for me and I SEE them as coincidental in the point that it could mean something different easily.

Last chapter also lead me to believe that Meleoron is not Jairo ONLY for the sake of the quest. :P
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

Country
    Philippine
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    Welll, I think the arguments shown by NoFreakingWay are strong and you could believe it's true...
    there's nothing logically contradictory about his arguments, but they're too forced

storytelling wise it's obvious meleoron is not jairo

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

While it is entirely possible that Meleoron is Gyro, I don't think he is. The friend who turns out to be an enemy does not seem like the type of plot twist Togashi would write. Nor does Gyro have a logical reason to hang out when it was clear he had shaken the queens control and left the colony with his memories intact.

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Gon clearly has a talent to sense people's true nature. He thought of Meleron as trustworthy, while Jairo has been described as more or less evil incarnate. It's true Gon could be wrong, but so far in the series he's never been wrong about such things. We know Jairo has been plotting to rebuild his kingdom and other unspeakable evil things. Risking his life fighting against an unimaginably powerful foe doesn't seem like a good way to accomplish your unspeakably evil plans.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phantron View Post
    Gon clearly has a talent to sense people's true nature. He thought of Meleron as trustworthy, while Jairo has been described as more or less evil incarnate. It's true Gon could be wrong, but so far in the series he's never been wrong about such things. We know Jairo has been plotting to rebuild his kingdom and other unspeakable evil things. Risking his life fighting against an unimaginably powerful foe doesn't seem like a good way to accomplish your unspeakably evil plans.
    I disagree. I mean yes, Gon may very well trust Meleron. But I don't think it proves anything one way or another.
    In fact Gon even says that in the case Meleron DID betray him then he would just kill him. It's a rather clever move
    by Gon because it takes the issue of should I trust Meleron or not and puts the ball in Meleron's court.
    If Meleron is trustworthy then he wouldn't betray Gon in the first place. Though even if he's tempted to do so
    he knows the consequences. On the other hand if Meleron is not trustworthy and has some ulterior motive
    then he has to constantly wonder how much Gon actually knows and he knows the consequences are dire.

I think Meleron being Jairo would be interesting but I think Meleron not being Jairo is interesting too.
    Because if he's not Jairo there's the question of is he loyal to Jairo like Ikalgo or Welfin are.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast