Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: StrangerAtaru's Thread of...Stuff

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member StrangerAtaru's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

StrangerAtaru's Thread of...Stuff

Osu! For those of you who don't know me, I'm StrangerAtaru (also known as just "Ataru" or "StrangerAtaru" or "SA" or "that weirdo guy obsessed with Jump and...um...". For those who do know me, nice to see all of you. I have no idea why I'm doing this but I decided to make a thread here to gather my thoughts, my translations, my ambitions...and probably just to make a bit idiot of myself. I have a few other things I do on the web aside from translating...they should be easy to find but trust me: you don't want to know.

I guess I could go on and on but I'll just leave with a few particular notes you may want to know before anyone can contact me on whatever they want:

*I officially have 3.5 years of Japanese training in college...wait, back up. Actually I first started listening to Japanese proper in HS watching subbed anime on VHS and International Channel's Japanese block in '96-'97 and dreaming dreams of moving to Japan and being a writer...yeah, it didn't go that way.
    *Before you ask...no, I've never been to Japan...but I have been to the Mitsuwa in Edgewater, NJ quite a few times. (let alone several Japanese bookstores in NY, the Mitsuwa in Arlington Heights, IL and Japan Centre in Piccadilly Circus in London) I freeze in my Japanese every time I go to one of them though.
    *I have means to translate both from my own knowledge and dictionary stuff...I will try to make it the best that I can but don't expect it to be perfect grammar or English.
    *I guess this is the part you probably want to hear: my translation specs. I actually started translating while still in college when I decided to attempt to do my own personal copy of "Jigoku Sensei Nube" (Hell Teacher Nube)...I got through 9 volumes before getting too distracted and frustrated to go on. (still have the translations and really do want to try the series again but I don't know if or when) I tried a couple translation groups (and actually did one of the Eiichiro Oda one-shots in one), but always felt the last person to know anything so I never stayed long. I actually got back into the swing of things in April '08 when I just decided on a whim to start doing "Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo" due to how far behind it was in the states...and how Viz was not helping matters. Currently I do freelance work with translations, mostly with Jump series: aside from finishing Bo-bobo, I did the really short Sawai series "Chagecha" and I'm currently working simultaneously on Kinnikuman and Cyborg Jii-chan G...as well as side work on a friend's "Konjiki no Gash!" project and trying to coax myself to start "Shinsetsu Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo".

What I will do (or contemplate on doing):
    -Weekly Shonen Jump...sort of. Essentially, considering all of the modern series seem rather booked in what and who's doing them, I'm trying to fill in the blanks of history by doing some older series that no one knows or have little representation in English. I have a couple ideas for series I really want to do after I finish a share of Kinnikuman or Jii-chan G...but you are going to have to talk with me if you have any ideas and direct me to scans. And if anyone really, really wants me to do a new series...yeah, I sort of want to look it over first and see if anyone else is doing it instead.
    -Any other shonen anthology with a story that interests me. Both Magazine and Sunday have interesting series and there are many holes in them too...and I sort of want to use that excuse to read certain series.
    -A good seinen: though I don't read them, I have seen some really good seinen concepts out there and I wouldn't mind trying or diving in...but don't come up to me with "Berserk" or "Gantz": I have really no interest in either. (though if no one has done them, I wouldn't mind trying Airmaster or 81 Diver...or something)
    -Most importantly: the series has to perk my eye and make me interested. If I'm not interested, I really won't want to translate it.

What I won't do:
    -Naruto or Bleach: too many other people do them and I have no interest aside from watching train wrecks. (not including One Piece...mostly since I love that series but so many other people do it better and faster than the time I would get to them)
    -Shoujo or Josei: I know there are many good stories in them but I rather watch them as anime. I have bad memories of reading shoujo and I just can't do it...trust me.
    -Man-love...eww. (I know my sexuality and this isn't it...not that there's anything wrong with that)
    -Series that don't interest me: if you show me something that you may love and I can't see anything that would bring me to do it, I probably will courteously reject.

Outside that, the floor is yours.

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bomber D Rufi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: StrangerAtaru's Thread of...Stuff

Awesome another translator thread! :-P Nice! Uh I can't think of anything to ask, but I will lol.
    Current projects
    Gintama (Weekly)
    Saike Once Again (Hiatus)
    Nejimaki Kagyuu (Ended)
    Kiriwoterrible (Weekly)
    Hitoribocchi no shinrakusha (Monthly)
    Majimoji Rurumo (Monthly)
    Tenshi-chan & Akuma-kun (Ended)

Requests Closed.
    requestsforrufi@gmail.com
    Read my writing here!
    http://alleycatcomics.pbworks.com/
    Now with 100% more plurk!
    http://www.plurk.com/BomberDRufi

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

When you explain everything so clearly like that it makes it so hard to think of interesting questions =p

ok first question how long had you been studying when you first attempted to translate and how much did u understand without going for a dictionary

Second question are you planning to go to japan?

those are my two questions...................................for now (evil laugh)

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zefur View Post
    When you explain everything so clearly like that it makes it so hard to think of interesting questions =p

ok first question how long had you been studying when you first attempted to translate and how much did u understand without going for a dictionary

Second question are you planning to go to japan?

those are my two questions...................................for now (evil laugh)
    1. I swear two or three years of Japanese were under my belt before I first started on Nube. (when I originally tried to do it) I can understand a good chunk of it even then...but I always go crazy in interpretations since one verb can mean several different things, forcing me to look it up then as in now.
    2. I want to go to Japan eventually...but I never have the money, the time or just feel I'll have culture shock. Heck, I'm just lucky I've been to Canada and London.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol london aint nothin special but i guess im talking for the point of someone living here lol iv been japan for a weekend thats probably why i didnt experience culture shock but since you kind of immerse yourself in the culture through manga wouldnt you experience less to little culture shock? just a thought anyways next questions (i should become an interviewer)

1) how long does it take you to translate an average 20 page chapter

2) what first got you interested in manga was you first interested in the country then manga or the manga 1st

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zefur View Post
    Lol london aint nothin special but i guess im talking for the point of someone living here
    It was my first time in Europe so of course I was amazed by the city.

Quote Quote:
    1) how long does it take you to translate an average 20 page chapter

2) what first got you interested in manga was you first interested in the country then manga or the manga 1st
    1. It all depends on the chapter itself. I've been mostly working a bit on shorter-chapter series (akin to Bo-bobo and early Kinnikuman), where the former took a couple hours at least due to all of the dialogue and references (many took longer) and the latter takes 30 minutes to an hour due to not too much dialogue. Jii-chan G probably takes me a bit longer...I don't time myself but my best guess is between 2 and 3 hours. (but to tell the truth, I never time myself and really don't want to...let alone I know I would probably take forever to coax myself to do a more dialogue-based series like Gintama, which I love BTW)

2. Manga first actually. The first volume I ever bought was the original run of Viz's Ranma 1/2 in Englsih back when I was first getting into anime. (sort of was more into anime than manga at the time) First Japanese volume I ever got was Ghost Sweeper Mikami vol. 1 when I first went to Kinokuniya with my Asian club in college. (can't say too much more due to having to go somewhere)

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, hmmm... I know you know it, so how about Bo-bobo V. ?, the one with all the one-shots? If you need scans, I can pro'lly provide them in case you don't have the actual volume.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobsinbobsled View Post
    Okay, hmmm... I know you know it, so how about Bo-bobo V. ?, the one with all the one-shots? If you need scans, I can pro'lly provide them in case you don't have the actual volume.
    I actually do have Volume ? but somehow it slipped my mind compared to Shinsetsu (which I really still want to start but never find the time anymore on weekends). The only one I probably won't do is Janken Island cause that one was already done...well OK, it's all silent. But I do want to do all the Bo-bobo pilots and the first "poop hero" tale (whom I think ended up influencing Softon).

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Oni_James's Avatar
    Country
    Catalonia
    Post Thanks / Like

wooooaaah!!! i didn't know it, StrangerAtaru you got a topic!! that's great^^
    first of all: thanks for translating all BoBoBo XD
    i had some full-of-work times back then when you finished translating it, so i couldn't follow BoBoBo as in the times i started reading your
    i've been watching Kinnikuman lately, also Kinnikuman: Kinniku-sei Oui Soudatsu-hen (currently on ep 44, at 2 left for the last), and i'm downloading all the Nisei, it's a shame that i could only find Nisei in Portugese, and lucky for me that i could found the First anime in Catalan

i have some questions:
    1 Is your name based on (can contain spoilers from the manga or the second anime for those who haven't read it)
    Spoiler show

2 What's your opinion about Warsman? And Yosaku (yes, the one that appers randomly in Kinnikuman XD)?

3 Do you think this part of Bobobo is based in Kinnikuman? I've also found other references like when bobobo shots tennosuke's body to the oponents is just like Ashuraman did with Sunshine
    Spoiler show

4 Do you know if Nisei's manga is still ongoing? I heard it was first published in one manga magazine and then they re-did it in another one and it's still ongoing, and something about 8 New generation choujin going to the past to avoid Robin Mask's death, it'd be great if it would

5 Do you think The Canadian and Specialman deserve more screentime?

6 I think you may know it by now but Sawai published a volume of Chagecha! What do you think of it?

i hope it explains something more about Chagecha's gang, and who was behind Tiger Mask's mask, may be prince kamehame? XD
    END OF THE QUESTION ROUND
    OMG, i didn't know i could be so annoying...
    Last edited by Oni_James; February 16, 2009 at 11:15 AM.
    ざわ...ざわ...

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Heya Stranger Im back again to harass um i mean interview you yea thats it

well im back and i have really thought this over reaally well um as well as my frazzled brain can think work is boring the _ _ _ _ (fill in your own blanks) outta me at the moment

well anyways here they are

Outside of manga what holds your interest?
    Are you planning to do translation at a proffessional level and make a career out of itor is it still just for fun and practice?
    What is your main genre of manga?

ps i sometimes chat in txt speak sorry bout that its a hard habit to break

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oni_James View Post

i have some questions:
    1 Is your name based on (can contain spoilers from the manga or the second anime for those who haven't read it)
    Spoiler show

Spoiler show

The Ataru in my name is actually connected to one of the first anime I ever really got obsessed with: Ataru Moroboshi, the idiot lecher from Rumiko Takahashi's "Urusei Yatsura". Sometimes I felt like him with my luck and being at the wrong place at the wrong time so I made myself connected to him. (though sadly still without a Lum)

2 What's your opinion about Warsman? And Yosaku (yes, the one that appers randomly in Kinnikuman XD)?

I've only read the 2nd Choujin Olympics so far but Warsman is defnately a favorite! A brutal monster who hides a gentleman underneath. Yosaku...no clue on who that is actually.

3 Do you think this part of Bobobo is based in Kinnikuman? I've also found other references like when bobobo shots tennosuke's body to the oponents is just like Ashuraman did with Sunshine
    Spoiler show

In some ways, a lot of Bo-bobo's soul has a ton of Kinnikuman and a ton of Dragonball in it. (among the many, many other things) But the source of everything is a WSJ, but neither of those: it's actually "Fist of the North Star" (Hokuto no Ken). Once you have the HnK base, then you build on stuff like the Kinnikuman attributes of "anything and everything fights" and the base shonen concepts of DB to start getting an image of the weirdness.

4 Do you know if Nisei's manga is still ongoing? I heard it was first published in one manga magazine and then they re-did it in another one and it's still ongoing, and something about 8 New generation choujin going to the past to avoid Robin Mask's death, it'd be great if it would

Nisei is still going. It's actually been in "Weekly Playboy" since it started so I really don't know what you're talking about. And yeah, it's in the midst of this overconvoluted time travel arc involving saving Kevin Mask...

5 Do you think The Canadian and Specialman deserve more screentime?

The weirdest thing is Canadianman actually seemed more formidable when he first appeared but he is a joke. And Specialman...moreso. To tell the truth, a ton of characters could have had more development and fought more often but unfortunately it was up to the Yudetamago duo who did and when. I mean, aside from the main idol Choujin and some of the major villains, it was lucky that we heard from characters like Black Hole, Pentagon and The Ninja again after their main appearance.

6 I think you may know it by now but Sawai published a volume of Chagecha! What do you think of it?

i hope it explains something more about Chagecha's gang, and who was behind Tiger Mask's mask, may be prince kamehame? XD

I was the one who translated Chagecha and personally, I loved it. It was probably the most insane, brilliant comedy-action shonen I had seen and showed Sawai was trying to move beyond Bo-bobo and develop a world to call his own with more order amidst his chaos. Can't say too many others liked it due to it's instant bombing...but it should be expected since Sawai isn't for everyone. Oh, and Tiger Mask...yeah, somehow there are rumors that a certain character could be it...but I won't say yes or no.
    Quote Originally Posted by zefur
    Outside of manga what holds your interest?

(in Crispin Glover from "Back to the Future" voice) "Stories..."(...not disclosed to say what though cause they're pretty crappy and not worth getting into)

Are you planning to do translation at a proffessional level and make a career out of itor is it still just for fun and practice?

It's just for fun. I wish I could be professional but I know I'll never be as good as practically every other translator on here.

What is your main genre of manga?

For the moment, shonen, but preferably older series that have gotten lost in the cracks. I've seen a couple nice seinen or recent shonen I wouldn't mind trying either but I'm sort of not willing to try after Chagecha.
    All answers are in blue.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Oni_James's Avatar
    Country
    Catalonia
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably you won't know much about Yosaku because he mostly appears in the anime, but he sure makes a great paper on it. He's always there doing any tasks. Someone who sells food in the stadium, a judgeman that judges Kinkotsuman and Iwao in the anime, he appears dancing, also as a prison guard. He has lots of tasks, much like Pandaman but with more protagonism.
    Here it is!! The great Yosaku:

that thing i got confused about Nisei is that it has two mangas, but i read i don't know where, that it first got published i VJump, i shouldn't go wikia-ing so much to know more about nisei XD ah, i wish the second manga of nisei would get licensed and published, at least in USA, i wouldn't mind on buying it online >.<

it must be soo cool to see New generation vs Legends in their great times >.< i wouldn't mind even just "reading" the raws, i fact, i've seen all the Oui Soudatsu-hen in RAW (today i finished watching it, great ending, must watch nisei now XD)
    Last edited by Oni_James; February 16, 2009 at 04:38 PM.
    ざわ...ざわ...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oni_James View Post
    Probably you won't know much about Yosaku because he mostly appears in the anime, but he sure makes a great paper on it. He's always there doing any tasks. Someone who sells food in the stadium, a judgeman that judges Kinkotsuman and Iwao in the anime, he appears dancing, also as a prison guard. He has lots of tasks, much like Pandaman but with more protagonism.
    Here it is!! The great Yosaku:

that thing i got confused about Nisei is that it has two mangas, but i read i don't know where, that it first got published i VJump, i shouldn't go wikia-ing so much to know more about nisei XD ah, i wish the second manga of nisei would get licensed and published, at least in USA, i wouldn't mind on buying it online >.<

it must be soo cool to see New generation vs Legends in their great times >.< i wouldn't mind even just "reading" the raws, i fact, i've seen all the Oui Soudatsu-hen in RAW (today i finished watching it, great ending, must watch nisei now XD)
    Oh yeah, him. I remember Yosaku cameoing here or there in the early chapters of the original but that's about it.

Yeah, there were two Nisei manga but the one everyone seems to obsess with (and pretty much the first one) is the Playboy one. I sort of wish we got the V-Jump series to see what it's like but unfortunately that seems a bit more obscure compared to the actual one.

Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Alan Smithee's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

A simple question to start of with and that would be your age, how old are you? What are your hobbies outside of the internet? If you have any... I hope you do!
    Looking for Translators for various (all wonderful I promise) Seinen and Shounen projects PM me.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
    A simple question to start of with and that would be your age, how old are you? What are your hobbies outside of the internet? If you have any... I hope you do!
    Age: Unknown. Somewhere between 1 and a 100 I think...try around the late 20s, that's a good start ;p (hint: 3 cubed)

Hobbies Outside the Web: "Stories"...(as I said earlier...I write but as I said, my stuff isn't that good) Also like taking a walk, seeing old movies and such. Or just daydreaming.

New Reply
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast