Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Memorable One-shots and Pilots

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Memorable One-shots and Pilots

Personally I think one of the hardest chapters for a mangaka to work on is a one-shot or the pilot chapter. The reason why it's difficult is that you have to introduce the core premise, central characters and setting in a way that captivates the audience. If it's a one-shot, you only have a single chance to tell the story. If it's the pilot chapter, you need to think of it as an introductory paragraph for a school paper.

Among the many one-shots out there, which ones drew you in? Are there any that you hope would be serialized in the future?

Every manga starts with chapter one. Although the series itself might be good later on, there are instances where the one-shot may not have been as enjoyable. Is there a manga -regardless of its current state- that gave an effective introduction to the story?

The one-shot I really liked was Godland Comapny by Iwashiro Toshiaki. It was a fun read, and it was nice how it didn't take itself too seriously. The assortment of various supernatural beings should have made the cast out of place, but the setting and character interactions managed to tie everything together nicely.

I loved Naruto's pilot since it drew me in to Konohagakure right away. Naruto's character and his position in the village was outlined clearly. He also established his first friendship with Iruka who became the first (of many) to acknowledge him.

2. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Memorable One-shots and Pilots

HOTEL by Boichi impressed me endlessly. Best oneshot I ever read, it's soooo goood
    http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=5741

Only Pilots I read was that one of Naruto (didn't like) and that of Berserk (didn't like either).

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Haato's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

My favorite one shots are :
    Devil Advocate Kukabara (One shot for Defense Devil) written by Youn In-Wan and illustrated by Yang Kyung-il,
    Medaka box (One shot for Medaka box) written by Nisio Isin and illustrated by Akira Akatsuki,

Both really~ Good♥ in my opinion at least lol

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    Personally I think one of the hardest chapters for a mangaka to work on is a one-shot or the pilot chapter. The reason why it's difficult is that you have to introduce the core premise, central characters and setting in a way that captivates the audience. If it's a one-shot, you only have a single chance to tell the story. If it's the pilot chapter, you need to think of it as an introductory paragraph for a school paper.

Among the many one-shots out there, which ones drew you in? Are there any that you hope would be serialized in the future?

Every manga starts with chapter one. Although the series itself might be good later on, there are instances where the one-shot may not have been as enjoyable. Is there a manga -regardless of its current state- that gave an effective introduction to the story?

The one-shot I really liked was Godland Comapny by Iwashiro Toshiaki. It was a fun read, and it was nice how it didn't take itself too seriously. The assortment of various supernatural beings should have made the cast out of place, but the setting and character interactions managed to tie everything together nicely.

I loved Naruto's pilot since it drew me in to Konohagakure right away. Naruto's character and his position in the village was outlined clearly. He also established his first friendship with Iruka who became the first (of many) to acknowledge him.
    I was slightly disappointed in the pilot of Naruto. The serialized version is a major improvement, in my opinion. Changing Naruto into a human with the kyuubi confined within him, rather than the son of the kyuubi, was a great move on Kishi's part. And adding Sasuke was a masterstroke. For how controversial he is, his presence completely changes the series for the better. He gives the series more of an edge, more weight than it would have without him. Without Sasuke, Naruto's quest to bring peace to the shinobi world is abstract ideology. With Sasuke it is a deeply personal, high stakes quest. Bleach is another series that really improved with serialization.

One Piece's pilot is a bit more interesting, partially because there are two, both called Romance Dawn. The first has the most in common with chapter one, also titled Romance Dawn (Oda used that title three times in total). The second Romance Dawn is radically different than the first chapter, but still interesting. It is contained in Oda's one shot collection, Wanted. The first two chapters, his debut one shots, are a little weak but the rest of the collection shines. Had he not serialized One Piece the fourth one shot, Monsters would have also made a great serialization.

I also love Komi Naoshi's first one shot, Island. A very clever short story, Island remains his best work. And I love the ending!

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    I was slightly disappointed in the pilot of Naruto. The serialized version is a major improvement, in my opinion. Changing Naruto into a human with the kyuubi confined within him, rather than the son of the kyuubi, was a great move on Kishi's part. And adding Sasuke was a masterstroke. For how controversial he is, his presence completely changes the series for the better. He gives the series more of an edge, more weight than it would have without him. Without Sasuke, Naruto's quest to bring peace to the shinobi world is abstract ideology. With Sasuke it is a deeply personal, high stakes quest. Bleach is another series that really improved with serialization.
    Sorry if I was unclear, I was referring to the first chapter of Naruto instead of the one that was published in Akamaru Jump. (Or were you not pleased with that first chapter as well? Having a brain fart.)

If we break everything down in the story, it all comes back around to Naruto and Sasuke. Regardless of my fluctuating feelings towards Sasuke, his character helps the series immensely.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ashher's Avatar
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

Hotel is truly an amazing work. One of the best science fiction short stories i've read in recent times. It was not really unpredictable, but its strong point is in the narration imo.

Personant is a nice one shot. It could've been made into a interesting shonen.

Moonwalker is more of a pilot than oneshot i think. It was also interesting,not as much as personant though. But as a series,perhaps it had more potential for variety.

Dogs:Stray dogs howling in the dark is basically a collection of 4 one shots,one could say.
    Last edited by ashher; August 13, 2011 at 03:11 AM.

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with those that say Hotel is awesome, because it really is!

Beside this I think the Sengoku Armors one-shot was pretty good. Kintoki instantly made me miss Dragonball - which is good. Nisekoi was also good! I also liked Karakuri, aone-shot by Masashi Kishimoto from before he started Naruto.

When it comes to pilots (as in the first chapters of series, not previously "first-chapters") I think Naruto, Hajime No Ippo, Hunter x Hunter and Death Note is very good!
    [IMG]http://bit.ly/wvfDFh[/IMG]
    [url="http://bit.ly/qint1K"][IMG]http://bit.ly/zcJSPa[/IMG][/url][url="http://twitter.com/#!/ZayCon92"][IMG]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/ZayCon/Twitter.jpg[/IMG][/url][url="http://myanimelist.net/animelist/ZayCon&show=0&order=4"][IMG]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/ZayCon/Anime.jpg[/IMG][/url]

News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

13th by sorachi, the author of gintama.
    That one shot took my mood and changed it in just one chapter.
    But I was smiling at the end.. while mostly laughing through the pages.
    Sorachi is a genius in comedy.

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if anyone ever read CLAMP's one-shot titled The One I Love (Daisuki na Hito in Japanese, if I remember correctly). It is a compilation of short love stories each with a theme about a woman's feelings: from hesitation and anxiety to courage and marriage. At the end of each short story, CLAMP would write something related to the story. It's short, but sweet and awesome. The stories are natural to me, and in some points are encouraging that those feelings are meant to be there so we don't need to worry about it too much. ^^

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    Sorry if I was unclear, I was referring to the first chapter of Naruto instead of the one that was published in Akamaru Jump. (Or were you not pleased with that first chapter as well? Having a brain fart.)

If we break everything down in the story, it all comes back around to Naruto and Sasuke. Regardless of my fluctuating feelings towards Sasuke, his character helps the series immensely.
    That makes a big, big difference. The first chapter of Naruto was very good, much better than the original one shot. In my opinion the story doesn't really get going with chapter two and three, when Cell 7 is introduced.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member lunacat's Avatar
    Country
    Algeria
    Post Thanks / Like

great topic
    the best one-shots i read were shojo : Shirahime syo by CLAMP and Winter flower by Watanabe shiho, especially this last one, amazing way of telling the story and extremly sad.
    still digging for good one shots

Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I clearly remember reading Nisekoi and laughing my ass off this "shitty darling" and "You Goriall woman" really cracked me up.
    The serialized version in WSJ was even better though.

I liked Komi's oneshots, f.ex. Island, a lot anyway.

Kya~ 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    I clearly remember reading Nisekoi and laughing my ass off this "shitty darling" and "You Goriall woman" really cracked me up.
    The serialized version in WSJ was even better though.
    I partially agree with this, since I prefer the one-shot over the serialized version, though both of them are really funny.

-------------------------

I just recently read TsunBaka, and I'd say it's a funny concept, and brilliant. It's not exactly one shot, since it has like 200-something pages, but since it's not separated into chapter so..

One of the memorable one-shot I read this year is probably Goblin Night. Less violence copy of Shingeki no Kyoujin, and I really want it to get serialized, since I'm wondering how the author would adapt the story in accordance with Jump's readers taste.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity SharkBait's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Most Memorable OneShots (one/two chp stories)

Which have you encountered that have been memorable or even that you'd suggest to read? At least this year Ive encountered these.

Kingyo Sukui (so emotional and memorable, read it a year ago and still remember it this day)
    Kimi ga Terasu Koi no Hikari (Planetarium setting and the story too was memorable)
    Hakase to Neko (entertaining science story)

SoTaku is Love | Team Haikyuu!! | Team Stealth Symphony | Team Food Wars!

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member You Say's Avatar
    Country
    Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Most Memorable OneShots (one/two chp stories)

Some oneshots which really stayed with me are - tale of ultimate sarcasm Tenshi no Wakemae, unique portrayal of Okita Soji not as great warrior but as a man defeated by tuberculosis and life itself in Sayonara ga Chikai no de, and interesting commentary on stereotypical lives of Japanese "middle-class", media and how people perceive them in Kare no Satsujin Keikaku which leads to very ironic ending.
    Huge fan of history and Nordic culture, serious mature stories, Yukimura Makoto, Iwaaki Hitoshi and Tezuka Osamu.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast