Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply

Thread: Fix A Character!

Banned MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Fix A Character!

Have you ever thought that a certain character would be far more interesting (or just cooler) if Kishimoto had written them in a different way? Have you ever questioned how those changes would alter the characters around that major character, or how the story would change thanks to these minor additions or subtractions? Voice your ideas here, and as an example, I'll go first:

Sasuke Uchiha. What I'd change about him is well... if he's so Uchiha obsessed, then I would make everything about him reflect that. An example would be his choice of summoning contract. Sure hawks were more symbolic and practical, but I would've preferred a Cat summoning pact. Remember when Sasuke was a part of Hebi and he went to Sora-ku to that abandoned city that the Uchiha used as a weapons base? It was ran by that cat lady Nekobaa and it was said that the Uchiha clan had ninja cats in their service? What better way to learn about the Uchiha lineage than from a plucky little talking cat?

Sure, it doesn't fit with Sasuke's maniacal nature right now, but I'd love to get some insight from people that were there the whole time other than Madara. I mean, look at these guys: http://www.mangafox.com/manga/naruto/v39/c354/6.html It's Sasuke's own version of Fukusaku and whats-her-face! He also would've had more strategic fighting strategies with the cats as he could use the the way Kakashi uses his dogs. For sneak attacks and tracking via smell.

I dunno, that's just me. What can you guys come up with? And remember, this isn't just about what you think will make a certain character stronger, but rather what you think would fit better or make them a more interesting character story-wise.

2. Like 5 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fix-a-character

I think Kishi should either hang out with more women or get a woman's insight as to how to write a female character. I think K refrains from developing female characters because he doesn't feel comfortable writing them.

For instance, Sakura's "I'm gonna kill Sasuke" meltdown was supposed to be a development. As a longtime reader I was totally disappointed and still consider it a disaster.

I forget whether the cat stuff was manga or anime, but if it was manga I agree with the OP that Sasuke should summon cats. Sasuke should also try to forge part 2 of his plan to restore the Uchiha by humping every chick he comes in contact with instead of seeking revenge against anyone no matter how indirectly involved in the Uchiha slaughter.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fix-a-character

The cat stuff was indeed canon from the manga. Just look at the manga scan I posted. And I couldn't agree more with the female character development. His ability to draw females flourished, but not his ability to write them. It's depressing sometimes, lol.
    Last edited by ninjabot; August 16, 2011 at 03:56 PM.

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fix A Character!

It's not really a standalone character, but I would've focused a bit more on ANBU...they seem to be the coolest of the ninjas out there at least in my eyes...we've seen root ninjas were pretty awesome...so maybe Kishimoto could've extended the lore on different Konoha families by focusing on ANBU

7. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

That's something else that annoyed me. We saw jounin getting trounced by Pein when he attacked Konoha, but when the ANBU were shown they were making short work of those summons from Animal Realm. I don't even think they were Danzou's special ROOT members either, just regular old ANBU.

MH's Best Reviewer MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the cat idea for Sasuke a lot. That would have fit him much better.

Some area's that I think would have been nice would be...

Sakura with more of a genjutsu skills set.
    It seems like that was teased to be where she might have had talent and it never really panned out. It seems to me like that would have made her much more interesting than the weaksauce Tsunade skill set she's got now.

Naruto with more of Jiriaya skill set
    He spent all those years with a very talented master but he never really learned anything jutsu-wise. It would be nice to see a bit of Jiriaya's influence in his student's fighting style but really the only thing he learned was rasengan. It's a shame he never pickup up stuff like "Swamp of the underworld", oil spitting, or the hair techniques; because when you compare the stuff Sasuke learned from Orochimaru to the stuff Naruto did it's hard not to ask "What was Naruto doing for 2 years?!".
    Last edited by Jammin; January 26, 2012 at 05:46 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member NinjaStar's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol i feel bad because the person i would want to correct is Sasuke and he gets picked on enough as it is but this is constructive so i guess its alright.

I wish he would have never gotten rid of the curse seal. If he still had it certain instances in the manga could have been changed and there would have been less fan outrage(at least here in MH).

Instead of summoning a hawk when he got knocked off the bridge(against danzo) he could have just glided to safety with his CS2 wings(that were repaired after Jugo healed him). That way people don't yell "ass-pull" or "Haxxx" because everybody already knows he can do that. Also instead of the stupid hawk summon(which i hate by the way) he could have the Cat summons just like ninjabot said. Im sure people would have still been pissed but people wouldn't have made such a big deal about it seeing as how Sasuke actually visited the cats before his fight with Itachi IIRC.

The next way it could have helped with the plot(and fan hate) is if he kept using the Curse seal to dig deeper to power up his Susanoo instead of the power of "hate" during the kage summit. It would have made perfect sense since the Curse seal forcibly pulls out more chakra(or was that re-conned because of the Senjutsu thing?) allowing the susanoo to keep advancing in stages.

And last but not least during his fight against kabuto it could have fit perfectly into the plot. Instead of Sasuke literally becoming an idiot for the sake of the plot(so Itachi could look good) his bad performance in the fight could have been attributed the curse seal. Kishi could have made it that Kabuto was drawing power from the CS(like anko) and not only making Sasuke weaker but causing such terrible pain that his reaction time was horribly diminished(the rocks falling on him). That way kishi has a reason not to show off Sasuke's latest power up from the EMS.

Also just because i hate the idea of Sasuke and Naruto's destined fight to be turned into a Gundam/Zoid fight i wish he could have kept it as an answer to Naruto's Sage mode. Whether its because Naruto becomes nerfed or they both waste their ace in the hole against each other(Karama and Sharingan) i hope it comes to down to a good old fashion Taijutsu, strategy, ninja fight and Sasuke would need it to compete with Sage mode IMO.

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Sachsenhesse's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Danzo.

Danzo. Danzo. Danzo. Danzo.

That guy had everything which makes him a total badass and a worthy antagonist and yet he was trashed like nothing. I would have loved some political action with him as the hokage.

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Uchiha_Blood's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

^Danzou was screwed by plot, not by incapacity.

The easiest character to fix is Nagato:
    you just have to give him a brain, so he will not be constantly owned by smokebombs, smoke in general and kunais

Intl Translator MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted juUnior's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

I put 'like' on posts which I agree with or I find the idea interesting.

Gaara: <no, no, I will not bash his retcon on backstory - I like the idea behind it >

- FIX Shukaku extraction. Now we know that even part of bijuu can be used to summon some sort of Jyuubi, so.. well.. like I always said in the past: I would love the idea of Team 7 & Gai to interfere WHILE Gaara's extraction process was still incomplete, and both teams would attack like they 'attacked', and Gaara's extraction process wouldn't be completed. That way many things would STILL make sense about him <like his design with those eyes or usage of sand etc. <plz, we can guess that sth like that circles around his eyes won't disapear so fast or sth, but its just wishful.. interpretation>

- if not fixing this Shukaku extraction thingy and making how it was made <Shukaku being extracted> then.. give sth to Gaara instead. I mean <I'm jealous here, srsly >: when Sasuke lost CS, he received MS instead. Gaara lost Shukaku and.. going by what we've seen in WAR so far - he didn't receive anything instead. We can say that his Sensor Sand thingy is cool and whatnot but its just another sand technique in his arsenal <and going by how many sensor ninjas were introduced it makes sense, somewhat> so.. I would love if ishi gave him some sort of power-up, like some real one: either some cool summoning or even freakin' Iron Sand in his disposal.. or even some sort of secret jutsu which Gaara trained after losing Shukaku.. <and no.. making him fast in taijutsu or sth is not the kind of upgrade I would see: its Gaara's style of fighting to not make unnecessary movements with his body >
    that's all.
    ..:: I LoVe I's ::.. [Naruto] Share your thoughts on: Boobies

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Entengakure no Sato: The Village Hidden by the Scorching Sun
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

- Hinata Hyuuga

During Part I, rather than her already 'loving' Naruto, she'd start off admiring his determination a LOT and aspiring to be like him. Furthermore, I would have actually explored her family relations: from her struggles to earn Hiashi's approval in any way, to her little sister rarely acknowledging her existence due to her status as the favourite child. After the Chunin Exams, this could have been built on further as a positive relationship for Hinata with both Hanabi and Hiashi could have began to blossom as well as showing a gradual friendship with her and Neji, that develops into the almost sibling-like bond they show in Part II.

Furthermore, it has been implied that, in Part I, the Hyuuga clan have some experience with medicine (she had a Hyuga clan ointment that she used to heal Naruto's cut wound). And, in the anime, Hinata develops medical ninjutsu skill. Perhaps Hinata, around the time of the Exams, could already have some medical ninjutsu skill already that would be incorporated into how she fights: for example, using a basic understanding of the internal construction of the body to damage an opponent and incorporate into her Gentle Fist style as well as knowing the Mystical Palms Technique. In Part II, this knowledge could have been developed further to the extent of using the Chakra Scalpel technique in combination with the Gentle Fist to strike and sever chakra points to prevent an opponent's usage of chakra as well as heal a teammate's wounds and replenish their chakra.

In the anime's filler arcs, Hinata used a technique that made a senbon needle of condensed water and chakra. Expanding on this, Hinata possibly having a chakra nature affiliation with the Water Release would be a potential idea. This also adds more onto the 'Hyuuga being equal to the Uchiha' idea with, whilst the Uchiha eyes provide a higher evolutionary chain, the Hyuuga's eyes granting them control over the elements that oppose the Uchiha's chakra natures. Considering that Sasuke also uses the Lightning Release, perhaps Hinata could also have a Wind Release affiliation, similarly to Naruto? Again, taking some inspiration from the anime, the Protection of the Eight Trigrams Sixty Four Palms uses thin, extremely sharp blades that are similar, in concept, to Naruto's Wind Release: Rasenshuriken's composition being of many tiny blades.

During Part II, her skills would have developed further, her confidence (like in the manga) would have been improved and a possible knowledge on genjutsu could have been added on. According to the Databooks (I do know they are not exactly set-in-stole canon, but I am using as many sources as possible in these character revamps), Hinata's genjutsu stats in the third databook are a '3' (out of five), implying that she at least has a fair bit of knowledge on genjutsu. I would not have had it on the extent of being able to cast genjutsu (saving that for Sakura), but at least to the degree of being able to sense and dispel a genjutsu with much more ease than other shinobi.

Finally, it would have been Part II in which Hinata's admiration for Naruto would develop into love. I am not a NaruHina fan, but it does leave room for a lot of character development. For a start, it could result in Hinata trying to become more confident than ever to confess to Naruto and even take advice from older women in a relationship (like Kurenai), building up to her taking the blow for Naruto and briefly confronting Pain. I would not have had the confession THERE, however... I would have had her start, but pass out before she could finish. Instead, a confession from Hinata would come from the Fourth Shinobi Great War where... oh Kami, don't kill me for this...

Hinata would sacrifice her life to save Naruto and Neji, rather than Neji sacrificing his to save Hinata and Naruto.

Wait, wait, allow me to explain!

The scenario: Naruto, in Sage Mode, is struggling against Madara and getting whooped by the Ten-Tails. The rest of the Konoha Eleven, Kakashi and Gai are trying to help, but struggling to defeat Madara, Obito and the Jyuubi. Neji and Naruto are knocked down by Madara and the Ten-Tails is about to finish them off... when Hinata takes the direct blow for her beloved and her cousin, being mortally wounded by the Ten-Tails for Hiashi and the rest of the Konoha Eleven to witness. Dying, Hinata shares a few final words with her cousin, requesting him to help unite the clans, before confessing to Naruto she loves him before breathing her last. Enraged, heartbroken and determined more than ever to ensure he doesn't lose another loved one, Naruto manages to conjure forth enough of the Kyuubi's chakra to go Bijuu Mode as he and the remaining members of the Konoha Eleven prepare for one last stand against Madara and the Ten-Tails.

A final bow for Hinata that not only gives NaruHina fans the satisfaction of a romantic moment (and a possible kiss), but also adds realism in that, in a war, ANYBODY can die. Not to mention it triggers character development for Naruto, Neji, Kiba and even Shino as Hinata's secret love, cousin and teammates have to deal with and move on from her death.

Okay... that's my first Fix a Character post and, thinking about it, my first post on this forum... whew, that was longer than I thought it'd be. Sorry about that.

18. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Necron's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

What made Naruto a freaking awesome manga to me in the past, was the huge amount of different techniques and abilities that all had their strengths and weaknesses. I personally found Naruto's training with Kakashi and Yamato very interesting and insightfull. It gave me hope that we would see a lot more focus on chakra elements and a whole lot more different techniques.

That being said, the charakter I would change, even if it's kind of a cliche at this point, is Naruto.
    Why is everything that Naruto does revolving around Rasengan? Why? I understand it's his father's and master's signature move and he can use it as finishing move all he wants, but his jutsu arsenal consists of Kagebunshin and Rasengan and that's all.
    So sometime after the Hidan and Kakuzu arc I would have put another half-year time skip in which Naruto learns to control and to perfect his wind element and maybe even learn another one in order to combine them during his Sage training. Just imagine how much more interesting and versitile his fights would have been if he had a jutsu pool similiar to Danzo or Jiraya.
    And again, I might be beating a dead horse here, but I would've nerfed the Bijuu-mode tremendously. No Kagebunshin, very restricted time limit and never ever introduce the Bijuu-dama assault rifle... Let him have the mode as a last resort, to use when he's in deep trouble, but nothing more.
    My Deviant Art
    But don't expect any Manga drawing here, haven't done that in a long time.

20. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Entengakure no Sato: The Village Hidden by the Scorching Sun
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Necron View Post
    What made Naruto a freaking awesome manga to me in the past, was the huge amount of different techniques and abilities that all had their strengths and weaknesses. I personally found Naruto's training with Kakashi and Yamato very interesting and insightfull. It gave me hope that we would see a lot more focus on chakra elements and a whole lot more different techniques.

That being said, the charakter I would change, even if it's kind of a cliche at this point, is Naruto.
    Why is everything that Naruto does revolving around Rasengan? Why? I understand it's his father's and master's signature move and he can use it as finishing move all he wants, but his jutsu arsenal consists of Kagebunshin and Rasengan and that's all.
    So sometime after the Hidan and Kakuzu arc I would have put another half-year time skip in which Naruto learns to control and to perfect his wind element and maybe even learn another one in order to combine them during his Sage training. Just imagine how much more interesting and versitile his fights would have been if he had a jutsu pool similiar to Danzo or Jiraya.
    And again, I might be beating a dead horse here, but I would've nerfed the Bijuu-mode tremendously. No Kagebunshin, very restricted time limit and never ever introduce the Bijuu-dama assault rifle... Let him have the mode as a last resort, to use when he's in deep trouble, but nothing more.
    I will agree with you on the lack of jutsu aside from Rasengan variants and Shadow Clones... I myself would have liked to see Naruto use some more Wind Release techniques. And Sasuke has a HECK of a lot more techniques than Naruto at this point...

- Naruto Uzumaki

First and foremost... I'd have scrapped the Child of Destiny plot. Personal opinion: I preferred Naruto's Part I anti-fatalistic thought process than his new 'I'm the Messiah' role. Instead, throughout Part II, the central focus would have been Naruto's struggles to hold onto his own ideals in a world where terrorists (the Akatsuki) are threatening the people he cares about as well as the situation surrounding his best friend-turned-arch-enemy Sasuke and, later, being faced by ones who have a fatalistic way of thinking as his arch-enemies (Tobi/Obito and Madara).

In Part II... this is where most of my changes for him come. First and foremost, I would have expanded his movepool to include a few more of Jiraiya's jutsu. Probably not Swamp of the Underworld, due to his lack of an Earth chakra affinity, but techniques like Toad Oil Bullet, Summoning: Toad Mouth Bind, Wild Lion's Mane Technique and Toad Flatness - Shadow Manipulation Technique to give him some more diversity in combat. Second, I would have had Naruto study fuuinjutsu under Jiraiya to understand the chakra and jutsu that keeps his Tailed Beast under control better, but most likely only the basic techniques like the Generic Sealing Technique. Possibly, in tribute to his clan, the Uzumaki Sealing Technique.

Expanding on his chakra nature affiliation, I would have also given Naruto secondary affiliations towards Fire: because it is the primary chakra nature of Konohagakure and, with a Fire Release affiliation, he could learn more of Jiraiya-sensei's techniques such as the Fire Dragon Flame Bullet as well as to allow him to use the Toad Oil Flame Bullet in collaboration with Gamabunta. Perhaps Naruto could even create a second elemental Rasengan variant, similar to the Great Flame Rasengan of the Ultimate Ninja video games, like... a Rasenenten ('enten' meaning 'scorching sun').

Expanding on the idea of his Jiraiya moveset, for his Sage Mode, he would be able to use more Sage Art techniques, like Jiraiya's, such as the Hair Needle Senbon or even Goemon (through using a Toad Oil Bullet in combination to his clones providing the Wind and Fire attacks). The Kyuubi Chakra Mode/Bijuu Mode would also be more 'last-resort' transformations, rarely used rather than like in the manga where he used it the second he was on the battlefield. Finally, after learning of his parentage, I may have had Naruto learn the Flying Thunder God Technique of his father's, possibly allowing him to more evenly face off against Tobi and his Space-Time Ninjutsu.

I will probably come up with more ideas for Naruto in due time but, for now, these are the primary ideas I have...

22. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

@Shodai Asahikage: I like your ideas concerning Naruto, but i would've written him a little bit different.
    First of all i think Naruto with his big Ckarapool shouldn't just spam Kagebunshin, but could spam ninjutsu of every kind. That would make him a much more complete fighter than he is now.
    So i would've given him a Suiton Affinity when training with Jiraiya, meaning J-Man makes the test with those papers and the find out, that its Suiton. Then Naruto trains with Bunta some advanced Suiton techs. Naruto shows those techs to Kakashi in their first fight of part 1 who's is impressed. Then when Kakashi wants to teach Naruto the advanced Rasengan, Kakashi finds out that Naruto has problems, molding his elemental chakra, so they redo the test and suprise, suprise, Narutos second element is wind. Everyone is wtf and they contine the training. Then Naruto by chance squeezes out the same amount of chakra of both natures and creates ice for the first time. So apart from three Rasengan Variations that would be availabe, Naruto would use Water, Wind and Ice in his fights. He'd learn Sagemode, but more or less to pump up his Elemental Techniques like J-Man mostly did.
    Naruto actually defeats Kyuubi by using a massive Ice Jutsu, thus holding him down and getting his chakra. Gosh how great could those variations be.
    Im not sure about Hirashin though, maybe replace Sage Mode with Hirashin, that would fit, i think.
    Naruto + Hirashin and his elements vs Pain - Thats a fight i'd wanna see.

New Reply