Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Redline

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Redline

Redline
    Produced By: Madhouse
    Genre: Action
    Directed By: Takeshi Koike
    Starring: Takuya Kimura as JP and Yuu Aoi as Sonoshee

Following his dream, "Sweet" JP becomes a racer and gains a large following because of his retro-style sense of fashion and his frequent and spectacular crashes toward the ends of his races. He gets by with money the mob pays him for losing, although he is out on bail for something possibly related to match-fixing. During a qualification race called the Yellowline, JP's engine explodes. On the verge of giving up, he learns that, by popular vote, he has qualified for the prestigious no-rules race called Redline after two other drivers dropped out. The reason behind this is that the government of Roboworld, the military planet the race is to take place on, is opposed to the race and has threatened anyone participating with death. JP participates in Redline in spite of the danger.

Redline is a big, loud, bright, pedal to the metal demolition derby of an anime that has to be seen to be believed. Taking over five years to produce, and presumably piles of money, Redline may be the most visually stunning anime ever made. Not a single detail is neglected, every extra looks unique, and the colors jump off of the screen. This is not a series for anyone looking for sensitive, introspective fare. Redline is about pure adrenaline, style, and speed. There is just enough plot give all that noise a purpose without distracting from the action. Ultimately Redline is about moving the art of animation forward and does so in a spectacular manner!

News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Redline

Truly..spectacular..
    I must say..half of the time watching this left me "wow"..the fluid animation..the badassery, the craziness..
    the weird characters.. all of them together made this movie a blast.
    Stunning, shocking and amazing.. The plot is nothing to boast about but everything else definitively is.
    I enjoyed the race, the action, the friendship and the passionate romance all in 1 hour and 40 minutes.
    Redline is a must watch.

Rewriter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zeltrax View Post
    Truly..spectacular..
    I must say..half of the time watching this left me "wow"..the fluid animation..the badassery, the craziness..
    the weird characters.. all of them together made this movie a blast.
    Stunning, shocking and amazing.. The plot is nothing to boast about but everything else definitively is.
    I enjoyed the race, the action, the friendship and the passionate romance all in 1 hour and 40 minutes.
    Redline is a must watch.
    I agree, the whole movie was a blast full of awesomeness. The story was average but everything else was beautifully done

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm almost of the opinion the story did not matter. The goal seemed to be taking the biggest budget possible and using it to push the medium to it's visual limits. The story itself is at least good enough to make the visual experience worthwhile, it's not like one of those movies that is beautiful to look at but so dumb that I feel guilty for enjoying.

The Blu Ray comes out in the States on January 17. I am already fanboying.

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member barbapapa's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't really know what to expect, I was just a big fan of co-director Katsuhito Ishii's works and it looked like it could be fun.
    But yeah, I was really blown away. Like Kaiten says, this is animation at its purest, pushing the boundaries of the medium. And underneath lies a simple, but solid story of boy meets girl, which is greatly empowered by its presentation. (that ending is just perfect)
    Immediately made its way into my top 2 anime (1st is, and will always be Mindgame).

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I need to give mindgame a try now

I think that is a good point: while simple and direct, the story is very effective. There was never a point where I thought that the animation was spectacular but the movie was boring. While simple, there is enough of a plot that repeated viewings hold up, once the shock and awe of the visuals wear off. The characters are interesting enough that I felt there was something at stake in the race. And you're right, Sonoshee and JP winning the race together is a perfect metaphor for a healthy, respectful relationship.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member conn-man's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I've owned Redline for about a year now and i've prob watched it 15 or more times. Its unlike anything you've ever seen before. I've shown redline to several people who have had zero prior experience with anime. They may have been pretty thrown off by the very Japanese pop culture of it..but no body could deny that it was a fantastic creation. Anything that takes 7 years to make has to be quality.

Must be watched with subtitles, the dubbing is pretty good as far as American dubbing goes. However every aspect of Redline is 'on another level', and that includes the original Japanese voice acting.

I think my favorite characters were Lynchman and Jonny Boy, every scene with them makes me smile ear to ear. Especially the warm up dance in the Hyper disintegration cannon.

New Reply