Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ichigo: A Captain of SS

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Kyodai Senkan Mora's Avatar
    Country
    Kenya
    Post Thanks / Like

Ichigo: A Captain of SS

There has been a lot of speculation on the forum about the direction Ichigo's future is heading in given recent events in the manga.Most people seem to speculate that he will go on to SS to become the fifth squad captain replacing Aizen whom he defeated.I just want to know people's thoughts on; If Ichigo should be made a captain,what squad would fit him and what would be the reactions of key players like Yamaji and central 46?
    "Unless I grip the sword, I can not protect you. While gripping the sword I can not embrace you." -Tite Kubo

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Quantized's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ichigo: A Captain of SS

I'll quote since I don't want to write it all again.. Cheers to making a thread for this, really want to discuss this matter through out and if possible find a strong connection that suggest that Ichigo and 2 others indeed are fitting as Captains, or, perhaps not fitting at all.

Here is my take on it;

Quote Originally Posted by Cez View Post
    Made me smile and laugh when I read your last liner

As for why the captains bother...? The more I look at this chapter, it just "seem" to me that the fullbringers really are just indeed "completely" useless and the only reason they showed up in this number is because of Ichigo and a possibly alliance or recruit into gotei 13..

As for the possible Captain candidates, this data is written off from Bleack wiki

Also possibly a lot of changes will happen IF Ichigo, Ikkaku and Renji becomes captains.
    Changes such as moving Lieutenants around or make new squad specialities just like Urahara did may not be too far fetched.

- 3rd Division: Flower; Marigold (Despair)
    Captain; Vacant
    Lieutenant; Izuru Kira
    Division Speciality; N/A
    Squad colour (Captain inner cloak colour); Azure

- 5th Division: Flower; Lily of the Valley (Sacrifice, Danger, Pure Love, Humility, Sweetness)
    Captain; Vacant
    Lieutenant; Momo Hinamori
    Division Speciality; N/A
    Squad colour (Captain inner cloak colour); Light Green

- 9th Division: Flower; White Poppy (Oblivion)

Captain; Vacant
    Lieutenant; Shūhei Hisagi
    Division Speciality; Arts & Cultural, Gotei 13 Security Force
    Squad colour (Captain inner cloak colour); Tenné

In my own opinion, I don't think any of the 3 Lieutenants would be a good match for Ichigo, should be become a captain. This is all assuming that it will be told this is the reason why everyone are there next chapter.

However, Hinamori really seem beaten up... Especially after the Aizen arc, she got brutally stabbed by 3+ captains through Aizen's shikai ability.... I have a hard time ever seeing her being able to fight again after all this mind rape she went through, poor girl.
    This also leaves a Lieutenant spot though if she won't return to a seated rank.

Since Ichigo took down Aizen, I only see it fitting for him to take over his division, in my opinion.

Possible squad idea;

- 5th Division: Flower; Lily of the Valley (Sacrifice, Danger, Pure Love, Humility, Sweetness)
    Captain; Ichigo
    Lieutenant; Rukia
    Division Speciality; Dispatchable to investigate dangerous and mysterious places.
    Squad colour (Captain inner cloak colour); Light Green

Although can't find a good match behind the meaning for the colour green, it only seem to match really good to Aizen.
    Here if you wan't to read on it;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green#D...ay.2C_and_evil

So the colour and the fact that Rukia matches pretty good with squad 13 talks against this, however, there could also be other possibilities, like Squad 3, however I don't see Kiba leaving it or moving and not working under Ichigo either.
    Nevertheless, Rukia told Ichigo to show them "true despair" this chapter since he knows it first hand, and funny enough, that is what squad 3 is all about.
    Renji would match (Sacrifice, Danger, Pure Love, Humility, Sweetness) it's an "oki" match imo..
    Ikkaku (Oblivion), kinda speaks for itself

Well, just some thoughts, since it's possible the captains will announce why they're there next chapter and it doesn't seem to be fullbringer related..

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shaheer's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

My humble opinion: NO
    Ichigo is a substitute shinigami, may be he will be assigned to some squad in the Human world to maintian balance etc etc, and be the captain there. But a captain in the official Gotel 13 is sth that i dont see him becoming. frankly i dont see the offer coming in the first place and even if it comes he will refuse

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I reckon Third, because of the whole despair thing that Tite Kubo seems to be pushing onto us, Squad Thirteen, because Ukitake has been sick throughout the entire series, or he will join the Royal Guard.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Tengou's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

The idea of Ichigo becoming a captain of one of the 13 Court Guardian Squads is rather funny. While he certainly has the power to be a captain, he's, in the eyes of soul society, a 17 year old brat with an attitude. While he has proven to be a great asset in the past and his actions have granted him a high reputation, he's repeatedly shown himself to be hard to control, has demonstrated frequent disdain for hierarchy and command structure, and he knows next to nothing about Soul Society's inner workings. He is NOT captain material. However, I do get the feeling he may play a bigger role in Soul Society from now on. Maybe he's finally ready to 'graduate' from being a mere substitute shinigami, and become a fully fledged shinigami to take official post within the Gotei 13's ranks. Still, there's no actual sign that things will be different from the last time. We'll just have to wait and see.

EDIT: It may be considered off-topic, but I have a feeling Hisagi may have become a captain during the time skip. Judging he was already a senior adjutant when Kira, Renji and Hinamori were shinigami in training, he is one of the eldest and most experienced vice captains currently shown. Still, he would have to have obtained his bankai very recently if this is true.
    Last edited by Tengou; August 21, 2011 at 10:15 AM.

7. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Saint Markus's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i see, Kira replacing Gin for 3rd squard.
    Hisagi will replace Tousen for 7th squad and i see, Renji eventually becoming a captain as well.

as far as Ichigo goes regarding his role in Soul Society. I think, he'll eventually be a special case regarding the fact that he's Isshin's son and he's half human. Ichigo I doubt will be brought in to the royal guard and Central 46 and higher ups are the ones with the final say on whether or not, Ichigo can even be brought into the Gotei 13.

plus, we are still in the dark about Isshin's past, which will be a trivial factor to Ichigo's present situation.

it would be nice, but i think it'd be better if Ichigo was a substitute shinigami. less rules and more freedom for him to do what's necessary for himself and his friends.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

While ichigo does have the sheer caliber to be a captain, I doubt he would be made one during his "human" lifetime. For one thing, he is a human, he is alive. He would have to die and go to SS to be a proper captain. On top of him being properly alive, as far as we know, he has a hollow half which SS does not seem to like all that much-but still tolerates. Ichigo is not even a proper shinigami for that matter. He is a mere substitute. Its not like he could become a captain right away either. He would have to take the captain exam. Even if he does have enough power to be a captain, he could still not pass the exam if it happens to encompass something other than reiatsu.

The Original 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like to see Ichigo as he is now, a substitute shinigami. To save his family and friends, has been a great motivating factor. I don't think by becoming a regular captain, the plot will gain greatly.

Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

I see why people don't see Ichigo as a captain material, although, it'd be a good way for a story, and we would learn a lot about Soul Society same time as Ichigo does

He could become the youngest Captain ever, yet alone they seem to lack captains.. Renji had bankai and not "that" weak, yet he's still a lieutenant when there is apparent 3 spots free...?

About Ichigo having to learn how everything works before atleast considering making him a captain, I agree.. If it turned out that Ichigo will become a captain, then I wonder what approach Kubo will be using to fix this Perhaps a strict Lieutenant to teach him everything, or Yama basshing him to death

About SS can't control him...? I disagree on that one, possibly, they would want to recruit him exactly to control him. Remember SS don't allow Shinigami's to "retire" they go to prison if they do, because they're too dangerous to allow roaming around "free". As it was said by Urahara in turn back the pendulum.

So in my opinion, it's likely that Ichigo will join SS, he'll be forced if he doesn't want to go on his own, and he'll have to sacrifice his life as a human, possibly what Isshin meant by "taking away" Ichigo's future, he has to die.

This is also why I think so many captains did show up, they're going to "force" Ichigo if he declines and wants to stick in the human world, as Central 46 puts it, free shinigami's roaming around are apparently too dangerous, and also, this is the first time Ichigo has his powers while Central 46 is working. So it makes sense for SS to act now of all times when he has his powers again, when Yama-Jii might have turned a blind eye to it.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about becoming a captain right away, but I'm sure the reason they sent all those guys there was to bring Ichigo back immediately to Soul Society once he got his powers back. If he has in fact gotten back all the power he had when he faced Aizen, then he's way too powerful to be running around the real world as a substitute shinigami. A swing of his sword takes down the hollow and the buildings behind it. If nothing else they're going to have to be able to Limit his power to 20 percent like with all the other captains. He can no longer stay in the human world unchecked. Might as well let loose Kenpachi in the center of town without his eyepatch and 6 pack of Red Bull in his system.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Newkerzy's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

My 2 cents on this matter:

If Ichigo does become a captain, he'll probably refuse at first because of his rebellious nature and try to go down fighting. But we all know what's gonna happen: Rukia. If they do intend to recruit Ichigo, it's pretty obvious how he's gonna react. That's why Rukia is there. 'Cause she's the only person he'll listen to.

As for his position, I have a feeling he'll set a condition:

-Delay his official induction to the Gotei 13 until half a year so that he can graduate with his friends and spend time with them for as long as he can.
    -If his mortal body is really dead, that means he has to be an official Gotei 13 member no matter what. So it would be difficult for the first condition. That's why Yama-jii is going to place him as an unseated officer under Ukitake & Rukia. Rukia will be his supervisor.

As for his division, him being 5th division captain sounds pretty obvious. Especially since it fits with the pun on Ichigo's name. (go=5)

As for his lieutenant, Momo might stay with him for a while so that he knows the ways around the 5th division to get him started. But eventually, she may decide to transfer because she can't bear with the memories of the 5th division. At first, Ichigo doesn't really want Rukia to be his lieutenant because he would feel bad about "stealing" her from Ukitake. But this is where he gets the idea to swap lieutenants with Ukitake. Momo would do better under Ukitake seeing as he's one of the kindest captains which would help Momo's mental condition a lot.

Well, that's my take on it.

The 7 Dragons Of Fiore

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

So it won't be a total shock, Kubo seems to have put out traces and forshadowing through out Bleach, but maybe I'm just thinking too much into it.. Anyway, here are the links for you yourself to judge.

These links can be thought as SS merely seeing Ichigo as very useful, or probably want him to join SS. Also keep in mind that now he has his powers back, and it's the first time while Central 46 is in function (remember what kind of bastards they are), they will likely force Ichigo to join SS, be it captain or not. Urahara told us, any freelance Shinigami is not tolerated whatsoever.
    But check the links, your judgement

http://www.mangareader.net/94-692-16...apter-238.html
    http://www.mangareader.net/94-692-17...apter-238.html
    Honestly I can't tell if the Captain Commander has a heart here or if he merely is a strict commander seeing potential in Ichigo.
    It seems that he truly recognizes Ichigo as a fighting force, and the next links might have reinforced his thoughts on this matter.
    Furthermore, he may also know the bloodline of Ichigo, unlike the other captains. Possibly, since he has connections and the only one knowing where the royal key is hidden, that he also knows family names and connections, like royal / noble families in both SS and (RD) Royal Dimension.
    Perhaps he even had a secret research done on Ichigo after the SS arc.. or maybe Isshin worked hidden directly under the captain commander as a shadow agent.

http://www.mangareader.net/94-39731-...apter-382.html
    http://www.mangareader.net/94-39731-...apter-382.html <----- This one in PARTICULAR
    http://www.mangareader.net/94-39731-...apter-382.html <---- Triumph card huh..?
    Unohaha learns about Ichigo's strength, and is surprised about it. My take is that she did not go silent with this knowledge, possibly bringing it up to the next captain meeting. At this time he could not control this reatsu to be able to fight as a 2x captain, yet, he grasped not only his shinigami powers against Aizen but also his hollow powers, granted it was all channelled through his bankai.
    Yet, I got a feeling that Unohana is the reason all the captains are there to give him back his powers now, regardless for what matter they need him for, be it captain or some other reason.

http://www.mangareader.net/94-57918-...apter-423.html
    Here it is mentioned that a new captain commander is (apparently) long over due, or because he lost his arm + age, perhaps. Anyway, it was mentioned right before the current arc where all the captains now come to greet Ichigo all of a sudden, coincidence..?

Not saying Ichigo will be the captain commander yet or something, but honestly, if he ever is gonna get there in the end, since SS clearly lacks one, then he has to start out as a normal captain and prove his worth over some years, imho..
    Ichigo could also work as the captains commanders right hand, since the commander is starting to lack behind in strength, Ichigo could be there to fulfil that part of the job description.

Well the possibilities are many, these are just thoughts, judge for your self, what do you think..?
    Last edited by Quantized; August 23, 2011 at 09:21 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ero-Sanji's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

@Cez

Yama is only interested in Ichigo because he's the only one that can defeat Aizen, without, as we saw, taking fatal injury to himself, remember? Ichigo was important to the upcoming battle that was why he forbade him to go recklessly into Hueco Mundo, since he was the only one that hadn't seen Aizens shikai ability.

Anyway, at the moment I can't see Ichigo as a captain, I mean he's the substitute shinigami and the one to protect his hometown , I think that it should stay that way.
    Fate of Darkness vs Rubber Dream
    Purple Dragon vs Three-sword-Dragon
    Alcohol vs Money
    Lazy Eye vs Eye Lie
    Wrestling Jesus vs Cooking Pervert
    Horseman of Death vs Deer Life
    Decaying Female vs Blooming Demon
    Battleship vs Cyborg
    Gentleman with wings vs Gentleman with bones

THIS BATTLE HAS IT ALL!!!

Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ero-Sanji View Post
    @Cez

Yama is only interested in Ichigo because he's the only one that can defeat Aizen, without, as we saw, taking fatal injury to himself, remember? Ichigo was important to the upcoming battle that was why he forbade him to go recklessly into Hueco Mundo, since he was the only one that hadn't seen Aizens shikai ability.

Anyway, at the moment I can't see Ichigo as a captain, I mean he's the substitute shinigami and the one to protect his hometown , I think that it should stay that way.
    That's really a heavy assumption you got there, we frankly don't know what the Commander had in mind, what you're saying is only what went through your mind when you saw the chapter, you don't know what the commander truly thought. So don't say it as "fact" cause it clearly isn't. Sure he knew Ichigo had not seen Aizen's shikai, but that doesn't justify his interest in Ichigo, it's an assumption we make as readers.

Also how do you think the story will keep staying interesting if Ichigo is just gonna repeat all over again... If that is the case, then I'd rather see Bleach end with Aizen!
    Nothing more to show, as for a story's point of view.
    A big change is bound to happen now if the story is gonna have to continue, be it captain or something similar size of a change.

Also you ignore the current given facts, how Ichigo felt he was alone and betrayed of all his friends/family, even when he truly wasn't, it is symbolic that he likely will leave his life as a human, of all people, the shinigami came to rescue him. It's a decent symbolic if you ask me.

Stating that the commander saw Ichigo that way as fact...? Not gonna work, we really don't know
    Sadistic...? YES
    Last edited by Quantized; August 23, 2011 at 12:07 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ero-Sanji's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

@Cez

Wow, you must be in a very bad mood, chill...

First of all the same link that you posted says clearly that Yama forbids Ichigo to go because of the up coming war, later on Unohana(I think), states that Ichigo is the only one that can beat Aizen. It's not an assumption, it's clear as the day, that Yama at that moment was worried of Ichigo because of his importance in the war.

This doesn't rule out the chances or, in my opinion, the risks of Ichigo becoming a captain but it certainly proves that Yama is interested in Ichigo as a fighter against Aizen. Heck, even unohana describes him as a trump card, when acknowledging his reiatsu.
    Fate of Darkness vs Rubber Dream
    Purple Dragon vs Three-sword-Dragon
    Alcohol vs Money
    Lazy Eye vs Eye Lie
    Wrestling Jesus vs Cooking Pervert
    Horseman of Death vs Deer Life
    Decaying Female vs Blooming Demon
    Battleship vs Cyborg
    Gentleman with wings vs Gentleman with bones

THIS BATTLE HAS IT ALL!!!

New Reply
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast