Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (6/30/14 - 7/6/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 501 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 586 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: You Felt the Earthquake? And Hurricane Irene [East Coast USA]

News Writer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Asahina's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

You Felt the Earthquake? And Hurricane Irene [East Coast USA]

In New York, I was on a date eating at an Italian restaurant having some fun while reading some manga on my laptop. And then it happened. The vibration was intense. Tables were falling, chairs were collapsing. Wasn't the restaurant constructed well? Was the building about to fall? My thoughts were going wild!

I ran out of the restaurant doors, and I saw my car shaking like it was in the movies or something. I then went back inside and went to my laptop and connected to Google and searched "Earthquake Today". The staffs of the restaurant turned the TVs on and put on CNN.

This was a "Virginia" earthquake? Was this really happening? I'm glad it wasn't a terrorist attack. This was the first time in my life to ever experience this.

Who else felt it, and where were you at the time? What were you doing?

Link to what happened: here
    Last edited by Asahina; August 23, 2011 at 01:58 PM.

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Halfway 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: You Felt the Earthquake? [East Coast USA]

The whole thing lasted for 10 - 20 seconds and at first I thought the windows were rustling due to a wind gust. Recently there has been cases like that with heavy rain or sudden gusts and the windows would shake due to that. A few seconds into the start of the window shaking, the bed I was sitting on started to vibrate (not like the ones at cheap hotels) followed by the shaking of the house and its walls. I realized immediately it was an earthquake.

I recall another earthquake reported on the news that happened here sometime back, maybe almost a month or so ago but that one was not felt by everyone like this was. So this was my first experience with the real thing as well.

I was not concerned enough to run out of the house as the news shown people doing so from restaurants and other buildings like Asahina mentioned.

Anyway as the walls continued to shake and the ground under me rumbled, I can say it was a surreal moment for me.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought there was something wrong with my AC at first

First thing they thought was that a bomb went off, so all the government offices were emptied out. If anyone is wondering: in the last 25 years the east coast has experienced more terrorist attacks than moderate size earth quakes. Assuming the former was happening was logical, assuming a 5.9 magnitude earthquake in the DC area would have been jumping to conclusions. All told the damage was modest. My house is fine, though my headphone jack was still in my CD player and was damaged by the shaking. The Capital, White House, monuments, and museums were unharmed, though a spire fell off the National Cathedral >.>

6. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Apparently there are reports of a crack in the Washington Monument...

Honestly, I didn't feel it here in Baltimore probably because I was napping It may have woke me up, but I don't really remember as I didn't look at a clock. I feel sort of bummed that I missed out on it, but I suppose it's better that I did for my own sanity

Californians are all probably laughing at us. It sort of reminds me how people react to snow around here, while people from New England and the Great Lakes areas all "meh" at a foot or two of snow

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Nope. /lives in the West Coast

I was still surprised though because I wouldn't have expected an earthquake to happen there (obviously). I'm glad there are no reports of injuries or fatalities.

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    Californians are all probably laughing at us. It sort of reminds me how people react to snow around here, while people from New England and the Great Lakes areas all "meh" at a foot or two of snow
    This applies to Vancouver too. Damn you, Cascadia fault line!

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/t...782129,00.html

At least one american nuclear power plant reported severe problems. Safety questionable. Reminds of Fukushima. Even though it is not to expect that such a disaster will follow (seems safe for now), it awakens doubt for the general safety- what if a heavier earthquake follows?

Overall twelve nuclear power plants reported "irregularities".

MH's Most High Quality Poster 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member earthforge's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I live on the West Coast and the local newspaper loves to report if we have a 3.0 earthquake, but not that the East Coast has a 5.8 earthquake.

I think 5.8 was the same magnitude as the spanish quake, the epicenter also wasn't deep.

Sigh, as for earthquake safety, I'd rather be in Japan. They weathered the earthquake really well, it was the tsunami and nuclear problems that hit them. The important thing is to take cover and not run outside (where things go flying, like bikes and whatnot.)
    Avatar © Chelsea Gordon, author of Not Quite Normal.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Every time I look at this picture I can not help but remember the suffering of 8/23/11.

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Roflkopt3r View Post
    http://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/t...782129,00.html

Regional power plants are built to withstand 6.2 magnitude earthquakes, which would be the largest earthquake in the recorded history of the east coast. The worst that happened yesterday was switching to back up generators while safety crews inspected the plants. Unlike Japan there is no concern for tsunami's or other secondary damage. The Fukushima plant withstood the Japanese earthquake, all of the damage was from the tsunami.

At least one american nuclear power plant reported severe problems. Safety questionable. Reminds of Fukushima. Even though it is not to expect that such a disaster will follow (seems safe for now), it awakens doubt for the general safety- what if a heavier earthquake follows?

Overall twelve nuclear power plants reported "irregularities".
    In all likelihood a stronger quake is not coming. The eastern United States is in the middle of the North American tectonic plate, California forms one edge while the other is in the mid-Atlantic. There is no chance of a strike-slip quake (two plates rubbing together) like California. There is no chance of a subduction zone quake (one plate sliding under another) like the Japanese quake either. Mid-plate regions like the eastern United States get much weaker quakes, this was the strongest in Virginia since 1897. And that was only a 5.9 magnitude quake.
    Last edited by Kaiten; August 24, 2011 at 12:49 PM.

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I had no idea earth quake were even possible on the east coast.
    And i love how Rofl immediatly looked for nuclear info. That's German for you :-))

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

They're usually to weak to feel. We're the butt of global jokes for getting so scared from such a wimpy quake.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    In all likelihood a stronger quake is not coming. The eastern United States is in the middle of the North American tectonic plate, California forms one edge while the other is in the mid-Atlantic. There is no chance of a strike-slip quake (two plates rubbing together) like California. There is no chance of a subduction zone quake (one plate sliding under another) like the Japanese quake either. Mid-plate regions like the eastern United States get much weaker quakes, this was the strongest in Virginia since 1897. And that was only a 5.9 magnitude quake.
    Article also claims that the earthquake risk has been severely underestimated.
    And noteworthy trouble in twelve power plants after such a weak quake? Doesn't sound good.

News Writer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Asahina's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

There was a hurricane 3-4 days later ...right?
    I went over to New Jersey to see what happened. I saw like broken tree branches everywhere...

So I was walking down major road filled with people, and I saw this middle aged man sitting on the bench.
    Sorta like this:
    Spoiler show

He was mumbling to himself...I think he was saying, "2012 is coming," or something like that.
    The guy looked like he was on crack.

Anyways, I thinking of moving to a different state or different country. That man's words kinda had an effect on me.
    You think Canada is a good choice? I hear Australia is pretty cool. Or maybe Paris.
    Not Japan, for obvious reasons like:
    ...they party too much? You believe me, right?

17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish I was home to experience the earthquake, would have been fun.
    But noo, I made it back in time to experience the hurricane. Good thing I'm fearless and slept soundly in front of a window durin the worst part of the hurricane.

Powers were out in so many areas in New Jersey, and many just got their power back on today. My power never went out for long, maybe an hour or two at most. When hurricane was going on, it was going off, on, off, on, and etc. Made me gave up interneting and go to sleep since broadband took a while to start up again. -.-

Dirty Jerze is getting dangerous to live in. ._.

Halfway 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

There wasn't much to feel on the earthquake, more of a rumble like vibration for 20 seconds or so.

As for the hurricane, no problems either, fortunately as other places took the brunt of the force.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: You Felt the Earthquake? And Hurricane Irene [East Coast USA]

How was your area? Power stay stable? Roads get flooded? Roads got holes like swiss cheese?

I wonder how women who were sitting found the earthquake. :x

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast