Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: [Webtoon] The God of High school by Yong Jae Park

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shaheer's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [Webtoon] The God of High school by Yong Jae Park

For the first time after a long time i found my interest back in the manga. last couple of chaps were filled with 'just so ' moves and occurrence and the actions were all farfetched DBZ links. This time the story is brewing up to show something atleast.

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nast.J View Post
    Oh I actually got used to the summoning (called Charyeok) and i find it pretty cool, I've always thought about it being a representation of their inner strenght (Qi) or something until Mori's friend gave an explanation about it. I still like this aspect tho and since everyone had his own Charyeok with their respective abilities, it was fair hierarchically speaking until Gods came along.
    HMM me too i liked it for some reason even though some of it is pokemon concept. Especially Dae Wis chareok, the things he did with water was really impressive

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity kidopitz27's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

After this flashback arc they're gonna start collecting fragments of the key it the author going for spiderman shattered dimension -ish style story where people/martial artist that got a fragment of a key will be powerful or somesort?

OMG TWO VILEPLUME

100% sure that Zoro already surpassed mihawk! 10/06/10

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shaheer's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kidopitz27 View Post
    After this flashback arc they're gonna start collecting fragments of the key it the author going for spiderman shattered dimension -ish style story where people/martial artist that got a fragment of a key will be powerful or somesort?
    LOL you remind me of inu yasha

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shaheer View Post
    LOL you remind me of inu yasha
    Yes like that where they collect the crystal fragments that kagome shattered using her bow hahaha

OMG TWO VILEPLUME

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member conn-man's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

That's wu kong saying 'jin' those two times isn't it? Wondering what that was about .

And very off topic but, I'm a litle dissapointed Obama lost his cool so easily in the last battle. I like to think he's a little sharper than that irl.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bhoot's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

I get the feeling that the parts of key will be collected by Park while Jin will quest of Monkey king armor pieces .

I really hope they dont travel together I really dont

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity LoS's Avatar
    Country
    Isle of Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Super long chapter this week. Kind of a twist having their comrade actually be conceiling his identity in on of those suits and on the USA's side. Who knows maybe Jin Mo-Ri will be inside that case or something.
    The OG that ran Bleach for near a decade is no more.
    Cheers to a boss villain, I tip my hat to you Aizen

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Nast.J's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't even know what to say about this webtoon right now. It just completely mindfucked me.

The huge monkey looks like the ones from Dragonball-Z, there's not even enough character development about Jin Tae Jin's team but somehow one of them has betrayed them and joined team USA.

How the hell are we supposed to feel something toward that treason when we don't even know the guy well, I didn't even remember he was from Jin's team since there's almost like 20 guys in his team.

It really feels rushed when it's supposed to be a key flashback with the goal of explaining many things about Jin's past, Park's Il Pyo father and possibly uncover the misteries about Jin Mori's birth.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member world is wide's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Completely agree Nast. At least these undeveloped characters are dying off quickly

Jin Tae Jin seems kind of like a d*ck. He is off having fun battling monkey guy for no discernible reason while his squad dies off. Not to mention telling his squad to make sure their mate gets a proper funeral. They are in the middle of a battlefield, proper last rites is hardly a priority.

Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

This week's chapter: http://mngacow.com/the-god-of-high-school/118/

Oh well, this is one of the worst flashback I've ever seen. I couldn't get attached to one single character because everything was going too fast. The fights were really badly done and didn't make sense at all, it felt to me like it was just a ''Hit and hopefully it will strike kind of fight'' unless maybe Park's fight.

The author tried to make us feel a bit emotional about Jin's friends death but it didn't work. The cliche ''I was going to do that if i wasn't dead'' was used for all his friends.

And apparently, the youngest of the six has been taken as a hostage by the priests and R was a traitor. That's a real ''wtf'' right there! Even if R happens to be a double agent who's in fact a nice person, what are we supposed to feel when his betrayal wasn't even shown but was already done...

But the funniest thing is that Jin's mori birth really felt to me like it was coming straight from DragonBall Z.

Jin Mori is a god who was taken care of by Jin Tae Jin.
    Goku was a sayan who was taken care of by Son Gohan.

Both aren't human too.Oh yeah Goku was naked too just like Jin Mori. See any difference?

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention something very important. Jin Tae Jin had trouble fighting with a fur. Yes, i'm not lying but we've had almost 5 chapters of a fight against Jin Mori's fur who took the form of a monkey...

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kidopitz27 View Post
    i think i have a theory where Jin Mori came from

remember this monster?

what if that is the original Sun Wukong? and look at this Jin Mori's clothes

really similar right?

what if the big guy Jin Tae Jin and Il-Pyo's dad is fighting is Jin Mori's father? or Jin Mo Ri himself?

for close comparison heres an image side by side

Spoiler show
    BOOM!!! Right on the Money!!! hahahahaha but that monkey is only a strand of hair but close enough

OMG TWO VILEPLUME

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member gotdott's Avatar
    Country
    China
    Post Thanks / Like

This week's chapter: http://mngacow.com/the-god-of-high-school/118/

Oh well, this is one of the worst flashback I've ever seen. I couldn't get attached to one single character because everything was going too fast. The fights were really badly done and didn't make sense at all, it felt to me like it was just a ''Hit and hopefully it will strike kind of fight'' unless maybe Park's fight.

The author tried to make us feel a bit emotional about Jin's friends death but it didn't work. The cliche ''I was going to do that if i wasn't dead'' was used for all his friends.

And apparently, the youngest of the six has been taken as a hostage by the priests and R was a traitor. That's a real ''wtf'' right there! Even if R happens to be a double agent who's in fact a nice person, what are we supposed to feel when his betrayal wasn't even shown but was already done...

But the funniest thing is that Jin's mori birth really felt to me like it was coming straight from DragonBall Z.

Jin Mori is a god who was taken care of by Jin Tae Jin.
    Goku was a sayan who was taken care of by Son Gohan.

Both aren't human too.Oh yeah Goku was naked too just like Jin Mori. See any difference?

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention something very important. Jin Tae Jin had trouble fighting with a fur. Yes, i'm not lying but we've had almost 5 chapters of a fight against Jin Mori's fur who took the form of a monkey...
    Just FYI both Goku and Jin Mori are based off the Sun Wukong from Chinese mythos. Sun Wukong burst out of a rock upon birth and during his travels attained immeasurable power eventually causing chaos in heaven. Among his powers were shape shifting and the ability to create dopplegangers from his fur that had power that could keep up with gods.

Also a sidenote, that head band that appeared on Jin Mori's forehead when he transformed is also another nod to the mythos, where Wukong was tricked into wearing a magical head band that ended up restricting his powers because an incantation would cause him immense pain.

Obviously i'm enjoying this more because I understand all these nods, but just wanted to point that out!
    Last edited by gotdott; July 25, 2013 at 05:48 PM.

13. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gotdott View Post
    Just FYI both Goku and Jin Mori are based off the Sun Wukong from Chinese mythos. Sun Wukong burst out of a rock upon birth and during his travels attained immeasurable power eventually causing chaos in heaven. Among his powers were shape shifting and the ability to create dopplegangers from his fur that had power that could keep up with gods.

Also a sidenote, that head band that appeared on Jin Mori's forehead when he transformed is also another nod to the mythos, where Wukong was tricked into wearing a magical head band that ended up restricting his powers because an incantation would cause him immense pain.

Obviously i'm enjoying this more because I understand all these nods, but just wanted to point that out!
    Now that you mention it, it makes sense. It must be why there were too many similar stuffs between the two. Thanks for pointing that out!

I understand that the historical aspect of chinese mythology must be appealing to some and i'm glad that some people (including you) can still appreciate this story to the fullest but on a more personal note, i actually enjoyed this manwha more when there weren't any historical god related to it or stuff like that.

I really liked the original system the author came up with at the very beggining which was based on different art martials and charyeok which i always believed was a real manifestation of their Ki. Just when he started implementing legendary gods with Park and the ninetail fox, the story lost the charm it once had, well to me at least. To be honest, I'm just scared we're going to have to deal with many other gods and powerups coming from nowhere.

I mean the fight between Jae-Kal and Jin Mori and Jae-Kal vs Park was the worst I've read in the history of GOH, it's a shame that the author went in that direction. It really came as a surprise to almost everyone of us and a bad surprise to be precise.

It's still funny how Jin Mori said he would rely on his own strenght alone and not use any Charyeok but he turned out to be a god!

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

there is also about the story of Journey to the West by Wu Cheng'en where he was accompanied by 3 people (Xuanzang , Zhu Bajie, Sha Wujing )

GoHS is now close to that because Il-Pyo will be on an adventure/journey to find all the keys with the help of Jin-Mo-Ri ,Yu-Mira , Han Dae-wi

Il-Pyo looking for the pieces of the Keys = Xuan-Zang looking/retrieving for the Mantras

OMG TWO VILEPLUME

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member gotdott's Avatar
    Country
    China
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs Up Re: [Webtoon] The God of High school by Yong Jae Park

Now that you mention it, it makes sense. It must be why there were too many similar stuffs between the two. Thanks for pointing that out!

I understand that the historical aspect of chinese mythology must be appealing to some and i'm glad that some people (including you) can still appreciate this story to the fullest but on a more personal note, i actually enjoyed this manwha more when there weren't any historical god related to it or stuff like that.

I really liked the original system the author came up with at the very beggining which was based on different art martials and charyeok which i always believed was a real manifestation of their Ki. Just when he started implementing legendary gods with Park and the ninetail fox, the story lost the charm it once had, well to me at least. To be honest, I'm just scared we're going to have to deal with many other gods and powerups coming from nowhere.

I mean the fight between Jae-Kal and Jin Mori and Jae-Kal vs Park was the worst I've read in the history of GOH, it's a shame that the author went in that direction. It really came as a surprise to almost everyone of us and a bad surprise to be precise.

It's still funny how Jin Mori said he would rely on his own strenght alone and not use any Charyeok but he turned out to be a god!
    I agree as I really enjoyed the beginning of the manhwa when everything was at least a little more grounded, but I did question how far the author would be able to extend the story arc beyond the tournament scene. Then the charyeoks rolled in and I definitely wasn't the biggest fan, but I was just saying little things like the nods to mythos are reasons why it hasn't sunk to the bottom of my reading list (also I do really like the art).

New Reply
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast