Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sunny by Matsumoto Taiyou

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Sunny by Matsumoto Taiyou

Sunny
    By: Matsumoto Taiyou
    Genre: Slice of Life, Nouvelle
    Serialized In: IKKI
    Mangaupdates

The story of an orphanage, the children who live in it, and the beat-up old Nissan Sunny 1200 which provides a trio of boys with a means of escape from their bleak everyday life.
    Last edited by Kaiten; September 05, 2011 at 09:57 PM.

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member barbapapa's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [New] Sunny by Matsumoto Taiyou

Love this guy. I'm sure Sunny will be amazing.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [New] Sunny by Matsumoto Taiyou

The first two chapters were. I am not sure I am ready to compare it to Zero or Tekkon Kinkreet but Sunny is a very, very good manga so far.

---------- Post added September 22, 2011 at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous post was September 15, 2011 at 11:59 AM ----------

Chapter 2 and 3 are out. So far Sunny fits very well into Matsumoto canon, children (or the young at heart) contemplating an adult world they don't completely understand. Jonuske and Haruo seem to serve the same role as Shiro and Kuro, or Hanao and Shiego (from Hanaotoko), Jonuske provides the innocents view of the world, with Haruo providing a realists point of view.

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member barbapapa's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sunny by Matsumoto Taiyou

Great stuff so far. Matsumoto does it again.

The Viennese Pixie 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Chapter 4 is out, it focuses on the big kid Kenji and his problems with his father and school. Really interesting chapter, this and the second so far were great. The third was interesting but I do not like Haruo that much, the fat guy is just hilarious.

I wonder what the old guy's role is?

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Chapter five is out now too. Seems like Flatface intends on catching up, only three unscanlated chapters left. Chapter nine comes out at the end of the month.

I really liked the last two chapters. Kenji's father was creepy as hell, I'd rather live at an orphanage than with that guy. I'd likely have some sort of complex and wish to drop out of school if that were my dad.

I actually like Haruo, I like brash but secretly vulnerable characters. Jounsuke is my favorite so far, of course. He reminds me of White.

I think Sunny is about coming to grips with an adult world that does not offer answers, does not always make sense, and does not provide a guide. The Old Man represents someone who has not only come to grips with life as an adult but has lived long enough that the rules no longer apply. He's retired and no longer needs to deal with work, school, sex, death, and relationships. As such he is a passive observer, an adviser as needed but no longer guide or participant.

Spoiler: 24 hour rule for Chapter 5 show

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    The Viennese Pixie 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

They are catching up, and the art seems better to me with each chapter!

I like your opinion on what the old man represents, truly with the 5th chapter it seems you are correct, he tells it himself that he only wants to listen to them play and not care that much, he is beyond everything now, that is why really young children and really old people mix together well. Old people are not the adults that children will become since they are pass that and children are not the adult the old man once was.

And chapter 5 was Haruo centered! Ah now it seems I do not look at his character the way I did, the first chapter that centered on him was about his bad sides, yet this one was balanced, Makio is a really great parent figure to them, the other caretakers are nor as good with children as he is, he just gives out a positive atmosphere.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

If you think about it, he's a typical grandparents. They do not have to raise children the way parents need to. It is like he said, he can relax and enjoy their happiness or comfort their sadness. He is detached from the day to day aggravations though, he does not do any parenting or teaching so he does not have to hear any back talk, whining, or complaining. By extension that applies to the real world too. As a retiree he no longer has to concern himself with the stresses and aggravations of everyday life even as the children need to learn accept them and the adults to balance the stress of the adult world with pleasure.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Would Makio be a typical adult here? Perhaps he will only guide Haruo thorough his "coming of age". He may not be a typical parent but an adult certainly, he did mention that he has a girlfriend so now he might Haruo through the ordeal of that aspect of the adult life. Plus Makio is also a collage student so there goes another thing about growing up that he might have to explain to him, college and jobs and stuff. I wonder in what way will Makio explain that to Haruo.

Haruo does not seem to get a long with the other care takers that much so it makes sense, I wonder if the old man might be a wise word giver to the children at some points.

---------- Post added October 14, 2011 at 11:28 PM ---------- Previous post was October 08, 2011 at 09:51 AM ----------

Chapter 6 is out!

Wow, emotional and also somewhat plot driven if you ask me, I really love how this manga is drawn in a way that makes you feel closer to the characters. Shosuke went missing while gathering four leaved clovers. Though the emotion around thee whole search was brilliantly done and one of my favorite characters found him, woho! Taro is the man! Also the plot seems to revolve now around Haruo and the kid with the glasses escaping?

---------- Post added November 07, 2011 at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was October 14, 2011 at 11:28 PM ----------

Chapter 7, color pages~

Spoiler: For those who have not read it show

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Out till chapter 9 now!

Ok, so I will put this as a general question for discussion not related to the latest chapter which I will spoiler tag, do you think the whole Childish Question followed by a reasonable Answer on the first page of every chapter has a meaning? I mean certainly it does but what? I think the childish questions are the confused questions of the kids about the world and life while the answers are what they learned and figured out. Opinion?

Spoiler show

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Chapter 10 is out!

Spoiler show

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Lithuania
    Post Thanks / Like

Saw the cover of volume 2, and now I wonder how I managed to miss it, but when was the first volume released and do we have a cover of it?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Enn's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I checked this out. Oh man, the drawing is beautiful. I will definitely get back to this.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it is a really intense drawing as with most of his works. And it provides with more reading pleasure as the drawings of the characters are filled with emotion, very helpful when reading this kind of manga.

Also, Aikyet, the series has been going on since 2010, I think one volume is released only.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Cute, 11 and 12 are really emotional chapters, what a sense of urban atmosphere with the regular mom-son relationship mixed in. Such a touching story for Haruo. Sunny really brings a sad yet cozy feeling in every chapter, I love the song singing leitmotif.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast