Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2) , Gintama 514 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: Ao No Exorcist - The "One Piece" of JUMP Square?

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member tonyyao82's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Ao No Exorcist - The "One Piece" of JUMP Square?

With all the recent success of the anime & ESPECIALLY the manga, someone on the Anime News Network forums mentioned that "One Piece is to Shonen Jump as Blue Exorcist is to JUMP Square".

I wonder if that's really the case. I mean, I love it and I think it's a great series. However, it does feel like a normal shonen manga. I actually posted my thoughts about Blue Exorcist's popularity at: http://www.mangatherapy.com/post/991...ist-popularity

Is it because of the school setting? The story of twin brothers who are completely different? Why do you guys love the series?

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

Can a MH moderator mark this thread as Discussion? I forgot to list it as such. Thanks!
    Last edited by tonyyao82; September 08, 2011 at 09:36 PM.

"I'll send you flying.....TO THE END OF THE WORLD!" - Itsuki "Ikki" Minami (Air Gear)

Manga Therapy: Where Psychology & Manga Meet (http://www.mangatherapy.com)

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member relory's Avatar
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ao No Exorcist - The "One Piece" of JUMP Square?

Honestly, I don't think it's right to call AonoE the "One Piece" of Jump SQ. I'm also unsure about the comparision (as they're really different mangas) - its popularity, perhaps? Because Blue Exprcist is in no way "unique" the way One Piece was/is. Not that it's not unique, and I'm totally in love with the manga but you get a lot of Déja vu while reading it It's like it has taken all the clichés and types and made them better, in a way?

But its popularity is most definitely thanks to the anime. Earlier it had a much smaller fandom (because few had really heard about it omfg I can only imagine what an anime of the manga called "Magi" will do to its popularity, as it's already very popular in Japan while few has heard of it internationally 8D). One Piece has been over 10 years or so, and has a steady sale of 1-3 millions per volume for some years now(IIRC), while ANE is still fairly new. My guess is that when the anime ends and the "obsession" wears of, the manga will go back to having a smaller (but ofc bigger than pre-anime) fandom.

To me, AonoE's strength is the characters and the characters' interaction with each other (which is very natural and realistic IMO). Also, it has a pretty well-known shounen-plot that many will recognize and therefore be interesting (kinda hard to explain why, but I know I am attracted to stories with a "special/mysterious" protagonist who has to fight for recognition.. for some reason). Also, it's open for a lot of discussion and theories as it has underlying stories and mysteries yet to be solved (and that's definitely a plus too ^^)

Like you've said, when you think of JUMO SQ, the "older and bigger" series usually comes to mind first (Claymore, D.Gray-man, Tu-Love-Ru etc).. But Ao no Exorcist definitely has a LOT of potential to become great and stay as popular as it is It's just that it's not really the "One Piece" of SQ yet? in my opinion
    Last edited by relory; September 13, 2011 at 08:29 AM.

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's too soon, way too soon for One Piece comparisons. I do think Ao Ex could be the new flagship title of JUMP Sq, just like One Piece is the flagship title of Shonen JUMP.

Some of the JUMP SQ titles don't appeal to everyone, but Ao Ex does.

"I'll send you flying.....TO THE END OF THE WORLD!" - Itsuki "Ikki" Minami (Air Gear)

Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tonyyao82 View Post
    I think it's too soon, way too soon for One Piece comparisons. I do think Ao Ex could be the new flagship title of JUMP Sq, just like One Piece is the flagship title of Shonen JUMP.

Some of the JUMP SQ titles don't appeal to everyone, but Ao Ex does.
    well it's not like you could compare One Piece with any other manga out there. I mean It's freakin selling 2-3 millions per volume, no way any other series can beat this. It's the most popular manga ever in Japan.

Still I think it will be the flagship of Jump SQ, at least for now. Wouldn't surprise me if it could reach an FMA level but only time will show

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post

Still I think it will be the flagship of Jump SQ, at least for now. Wouldn't surprise me if it could reach an FMA level but only time will show
    I think Ao Ex has the potential of reaching the level of FMA. As long as Kato-sensei keeps up her writing, I can see it becoming that big.

New Reply