Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Kurogane by IKEZAWA Haruto

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member vampire killer's Avatar
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kurogane by IKEZAWA Haruto

What happen with the translation?

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vampire killer View Post
    What happen with the translation?
    Probably because of how low it's ranking.

With Nura and Magicano gone, in weekly shounen jump Kurogane seems like the front runner to get the axe next sadly. At this point it seems to me like it's not even a matter of "if" anymore as much as it is "when".
    Last edited by Jammin; July 03, 2012 at 02:07 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member vampire killer's Avatar
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Too bad. I just stardet reading it and for now it`s really good, But it dosen`t have good selles and the ranking are bad.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Chapter 35 was actually decent, but Kurogane's probably getting the axe soon, so...

Custom Title 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Darjaille's Avatar
    Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

With the new trend of having the final wrap up chapter in NEXT! or something, we might not even expect when it goes... anyone reading raws can guess whether it's nearing its end?

ex oriente lux

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member raDar's Avatar
    Country
    Sunspear
    Post Thanks / Like

I won't really call it a trend, it's just that JUMP gives that treatment to those cancelled series which were once popular or at least have been a fan fave (even just for a moment) in the past and had a decent stay in the magazine. If ever Kurogane gets cancelled soon, I don't think it will have a special ending chapter since it still hasn't even exceeded a year of serialization.

I'm also curious to what's happening right now in the latest chapters. Though I don't think there will be another round of cancellation in the next weeks.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope the NEXT thing becomes standard for cancellations, perhaps even expanded. Every series out there that gets cancelled is probably somebody out there's favorite so, if only for that reason, I think all series should be given the chance to tie up loose ends and say goodbye.

-----------------------------------------

On a slightly different note; I want to mention that if/when Kurogane does get cancelled I think it could turn out to be something of a blessing in disguise. The reason I say this is that I feel more than anything else it was Kurogane's premise that held it down. The sports kendo elements were pretty dry and repetitive. The supernatural element was pretty marginalized; with Sayuri being relegated to a trainer/talking head role. Sports Kendo and Supernatural Swordsmanship never really felt like they meshed the way the author hoped they would.

However, all the underlying content seemed very strong (Ebana aside). So I'll be very much looking forward to what Ikezawa Haruto does next; because I think there is definitely a lot of untapped talent there and I'd like to see what he can do when he has a little more to work with.

8. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Zeromcd's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I think one of the biggest issues about Kurogane is that it doesn't represent actual Kendo despite being a sports series... about Kendo.

Here is a fantastic review from Baka-Updates by a person named Saphsin who actually practices in the art of Kendo.

Quote Quote:
    2nd thing that's a huge issue with this manga is that it does not represent real kendo. Some parts of the manga explain kendo concepts quite well (like the captain's Joudan and Shidou's one handed kendo techniques) but much of it is false. I am a kendoka myself so I'll give you some examples drawn from my experience.

First off, how Kurogane's team switched positions so that Kurogane becomes the sacrifice general in the practice match. That would never happen in real life for something that is only a practice match. In fact, it would be considered cowardly. Practice matches are used to gauge each team member's abilities so each position is given with respect to each individual's talent.

Spoiler show

I don't mind the supernatural twist that Kurogane's phenomenal eyesight brings to the story, but I dislike how the author made eyesight a standard that measures a kendoka's ability. Increased kinetic vision does not exist in real life and as long as you wear sport-glasses or contacts to actually see for those with poor eyesight, it's completely fine in kendo.

This is a spoiler for those who aren't updated with Kurogane's raws, but this is a big mistake the author made in terms of kendo competitions.

Spoiler show

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member raDar's Avatar
    Country
    Sunspear
    Post Thanks / Like

Are Japanese kids as unfamiliar to real kendo as us non-Japanese? If so, then I don't think it is much of a factor since we don't really care what really happens in real life kendo. And those changes are just part of the author's addition of tension in a not that exciting sports. Otherwise, it's a huge factor especially if you're a sports player yourself.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raDar View Post
    Are Japanese kids as unfamiliar to real kendo as us non-Japanese? If so, then I don't think it is much of a factor since we don't really care what really happens in real life kendo. And those changes are just part of the author's addition of tension in a not that exciting sports. Otherwise, it's a huge factor especially if you're a sports player yourself.
    Every school has a kendo club, but whether or not a lot of kids know how it works, i don't know.

With supernatural mangas, there are always differences from the real sport, so it's not a huge problem, but it is interesting. I mean, do you really want to see people standing and then making one strike? Kurogane at least had more happen in a match to add more excitement/drama/anything to kendo, which isn't a very interesting spectator sport.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine moved to Japan and became a teacher there. He learned Kendo so he could teach it to students and when he was back in the states I did a little with him. So I do have some small amount of experience with it (and I still have a pair of shinai's in my umbrella stand hilariously). It's pretty dry stuff, though extremely fun to do, and nothing like the actual armed sparring like I've done in combat martial artist training (Kali/Eskrima mainly).

My impression was that Kendo's similarity to true swordsmanship is about the same as boxing's similarity to hand to hand combat.

It's about excelling at a certain art within restrictive rules. Not about being deadly with a sword. Which is why I always felt Kurogane would have been better off making up it's own sport. Sort of like and extreme freestyle offshoot or something. Because the exaggerated elements detracted from the purest Kendo elements but Kendo elements by themselves lacked the drama to make the fights captivating. It was an unfortunate catch 22.

I thought maybe it could do what Bamboo Blade did and appeal through the slice of life side of things, or perhaps do more with the supernatural side, but I think the reality of the situation was that it was just a tough concept to work with.
    Last edited by Jammin; October 27, 2012 at 08:45 AM.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoyed chapter 36. It's considerably better than the last like 20 chapters combined.

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.
    <%M3J> Though I wouldn't mind Sari dominating me.

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

It certainly added more dimension to characters, something that was lacking from almost every character in the series.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Viredae's Avatar
    Country
    Saudi Arabia
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually, Kurogane has about 44 chapters already released, plus it's not the last series in the rankings at the moment (that honor goes to Pajama no Kanojo). so I'm hoping it has a bit more longevity involved.

Though considering that Jump's Future Cup has started, there is a possibility that they cancel TWO series instead of one, so Kurogane's not out of the water yet.

oh, and just as a bit of news, I'm waiting for chapter 38 to drop onto this site any day now.

Intl Translator 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Reith's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations for the First Year of Serialization of Kurogane!

Here's the Color Page from Shonen Jump #46, celebrating the anniversary.
    Spoiler show

19. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast