Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 754 by cnet128 , Bleach 590 by cnet128 , Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi

View Poll Results: Place your bets! How many chapters until Rael shows up?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • One week(#204)

1 12.50%
  • Two weeks(#205)

3 37.50%
  • Three weeks(#206)

2 25.00%
  • Four weeks(#207)

1 12.50%
  • Five weeks or more(#208+)

1 12.50%
New Reply

Thread: Noblesse Chapter 203 Review

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Noblesse Chapter 203 Review

No character spotlight because nobody stood out. Not much else to say besides...behold my super-cool golden reviewer username! And if you think "It's more of a brownish." from where I'm sitting you are inncorrect. All it took was a slight monitor tint adjustment.

Anyway onto the review!

Chapter Summary

Like explaining why you set up the patio umbrella in an underground laboratory.

This week started off with Tao, M-21, and Takeo lounging around in Frankenstein's Lab discussing the battles they had in Lukedonia and how they stack up against the opponents they found there. They came to the conclusion that they simply aren't strong enough to fight people like Rael but that they could improve by refining their team work. Then Frankenstein arrives, glowers at them a bit for using his lab like as a hangout, and sets about giving them their weekly checkup. The results indicated that they are all basically fine, though M-21 seems to be "less stable" his body "is showing definite improvement". As Frankenstien finishes up he mentions to them that he received word saying Rael has run off and tells them that they were probably a big part of the reason for it. Due to their impressive performance against him.

At the end of that conversation Tao gets up the nerve to ask if he really is human, like Regis and Seira said. Frankenstein gives them the very casual answer of "Yup. Of course." and seemed puzzled that they didn't already know that. Then as they all turn to leave Frankenstein stops them and "reminds" them to clean up their mess.

By the time the get upstairs it's nighttime and they pass Raizel in the living room studying intensely....in the dark. So they back out of that scene and go out onto the balcony to continue their discussion on how they can fight most effectively. Then Tao stops the conversation reminding the others that they shouldn't be having a meeting of RK-4 without all the members present, so he barges into Regis' room and drags a loudly protesting Regis out of bed in his hilarious pajamas.

The scene changes to the Union operatives. Showing the male operative catching the female operative going against orders and researching the incidents with the nobles. She again expresses frustration about not being able to do anything and refuses to stand idle any longer. The male operative agrees reluctantly, to go along with her "research", primarily to keep her out of trouble.

Chapter Review

What kind of bad-ass solders cut the crust off their tuna salad sandwiches anyway?

Substance
    Not much to this chapter to be honest. It just updated us on RK-4's status and showed them mulling over the stuff that happened during the Lukedonia arc. It also gave another reference to Rael running off. So clearly he'll be showing up before too long.

The Union operatives are also starting to move, as I think all of us expected they would. Once again the female operative was presented as a character driven by her sense of justice. So it will be interesting to see what happens with her when she comes into contact with people her organization has wronged. Namely M-21, Tao, and Takeo.

Not much to say really. It was a pretty slow chapter plot-wise.

Presentation
    I thought the art was greatly improved this week. Nothing stunning but it all looked quite good. Once again I was struck by how signature the female operative looks; like real effort was put into her character design.

It was the slowest paced chapter in a while. With lots of chatting between characters about stuff the audience already knows. Which is basically the dotting all the I's and crossing all the T's work of storytelling. Necessary, but sometimes not glamorous.

The only real problem I had with the execution was the two combat discussions from RK-4, the one in the lab and the one on the balcony. It seemed like those two scenes were redundant with one another. Which made this chapter drag a little more than it had to.

Final Rating
    Chapters like this one do serve a valuable function. They give readers a feel for what characters know and what they are thinking about going forward, however they are not the most fun or dramatic chapters to actually read.

This wasn't a bad chapter, when considered as part of a prologue to a story arc, but taken by itself I just don't think it was a very entertaining read.

So I give this chapter a 2 out of 5

My 3 Predictions
    • Next chapter will focus on Raizel and his schoolmates.
    • Rael make an appearance within 3 chapters.
    • Rael will lose his next battle to the RK-4.

Thread Question of the Week
    Who is the main focus of Rael's revenge going to be?
    Last edited by Jammin; October 04, 2011 at 09:25 AM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]

2. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    News Writer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Asahina's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Noblesse Chapter 203 Review

I actually think Rael will show up next chapter.
    Nice Review Jammin. The thing with your reviews is that they are written so professionally; and yet, evidently fluent enough for people who don't like to read, to continue reading anyways.

My only suggestion, is to add in a little more flash backs as to what was said in past reviews and try to refer to some predictions that remained obsolete and those that actually happened. Do it with your usual humor though.

I think the character spotlight for today was Tao. i mean, out of three stooges, he is the most talkative and has allot more humor.
    Tao has no "speech" fear, even to ask Raizel if he was studying [reading in the dark] - when the mood was to shut up and leave.

Although, we did learn one thing, Nobles can see (or read, write) in the dark. With there red glowing eyes:

M-21 was allot more funny, talkative, and laughed allot more when he was evil... even his fashion style drastically changed.

...a huge change of behavior & character.
    Last edited by Asahina; September 27, 2011 at 04:05 PM.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Halfway 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I just thought that there might be a pretty high chance now that the new characters will run into Rael. Which will most likely cause another confrontation with the nobles and Union. Should have put that in the chapter discussion thread.... but I did not think of it when writing the post. .

For the poll, I chose two weeks before Rael shows up. Mind you that is, if he was not captured already by unseen lackeys from Crombell.

Quote Quote:
    Who is the main focus of Rael's revenge going to be?
    If he runs into the newbies he will attack them most likely before asking questions.

As for what the next chapter is going to be focused on.... I'm not sure.

@ Asahina -- good points on Tao. I think he stood out this chapter and as you mentioned and he apparently has no fear of asking questions. Whereas the other two normally would not ask such things.

---------- Post added at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

Edit: Jammin - grats on going brown.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

@Asahina
    Thank you, your too kind.

As for referencing my previous predictions, I think that's a great suggestion. I was just considering a good method of working that in. Many of my predictions are long term, and I am keeping track, so I figured when I am right/wrong in a significant way I'll create a section to display my pride/shame.

Spoiler: Here's the current prediction tally. show

With regards to Tao. His time will come. My thoughts were that this chapter was more about RK-4 as a whole than it was about him individually. So, to me, it just didn't feel like this was the week to single him out. He's a pretty lively character so I think there will be no shortage of chances to do a spotlight for him. The thing I really want to avoid is to force in a Tao spotlight one week and then have a huge Tao focused chapter the next week. That would make me sad.

@Charlie
    I believe you meant "grats on going gold."
    (I reject your reality and substitute my own.)

------------------------------------

By the way, I love how the poll looks right now. When I see everybody pick the same option it injures my pride, as the one who came up with the poll question. Seeing voting spread out like this gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.
    Last edited by Jammin; September 27, 2011 at 08:57 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Global Moderator 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I chose two weeks before Rael shows up. Probably. I thought next week will still contain some discussions, especially from the side of the Union, perhaps Rai and friends would find out about their movement... While at the next chapter, Rael perhaps would show up ad surprise everybody. :3 I think his main target is Frank, then the RK-4. He didn't have personal grudge against Frank, to be honest IMO, but I think he would want to crush Frank for what he did to Rajak and to prove that he is a strong noble with his soul weapon. While for RK-4, it's obvious why. XD

I agree that this chapter is boring, I skipped through few discussions. Another relaxing time before a new fight. Tao is indeed an interesting member; he seems to be the most lively one from all members of RK-4. I wonder if each member of RK-4 (Regis not included in this case) would get a chapter for themselves to see how much they have grown. <3

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply