Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 (2)
New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: MangaHelpers Community Awards 2011 Info Thread - Results and Feedback

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: MangaHelpers Community Awards 2011 Info Thread - Results and Feedback

I'm glad that you're enjoying it, dark lord.

Feel free to let us know what you think of the system. This is the first community awards anyway, so there must be some flaws. XD What do you think of the system? The nomination and voting? What do you think of the campaign? Can we improve it somehow to make it more interesting? What about the categories? Does the number of categories enough, or should there be more?

Don't hesitate to let us know your opinion! ^^

On a side note, I'd like to thank everyone who has been helping me during this project. Technically speaking I am the responsible person for this award, but I've received so much help that I can't thank everyone enough. You are all awesome. ^__^

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity alphabeta's Avatar
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

O.K. I'll start then with my feedback. Also, I'll leave the praising part for later. Here, I'm gonna tell what I think went wrong.

1st. This whole public/hidden votes thing. First they were supposed to be hidden, then due to some technical problems half of them were public the other half not. You decided to make all of them public later though, but it still left something of bitter taste. Nothing serious though

2nd. Amount of nominations. 20 people were overkill. I don't recall a single section where there were actuall official nominees or how they were called. I suggest a number of 15 for the bigger sections (Family Member, Epic Member) and 10 for the smaller ones (Reviewer, Scanlator).

3rd. Campaigning. One of the more serious fails. I mean, yeah, people changing their MZ Thread Titles, and adding a "Vote me for..." sentence in their signatures sure is great and all, but somehow I don't see this as actuall campaigning. I haven't seen something like discussions between members who both were nominated for a section. For example, jorped and dark lord could have made a debate as to who of them is the most passionate member. So, maybe something like a "collosuem" or a "battlefield" would be appropriate for the next Community Awards.

4th. This isn't a real problem, but still. I think that there were to few people actually participating in these Awards. The number of voters was something around 30. That's the MH Staff + FF/MZ'er. Of course they are also part of the Community, but the other people who post in the Manga Sections are also part of it, however they haven't participated at all. I think that the Community Awards themself need more campaigning, so that more people would participate.

Once again, I pointed out the bad stuff. However I also think, that these Community Awards are a great idea and I hope you'll read my suggestions and maybe use them the next time.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alphabeta View Post
    1st. This whole public/hidden votes thing. First they were supposed to be hidden, then due to some technical problems half of them were public the other half not. You decided to make all of them public later though, but it still left something of bitter taste. Nothing serious though
    Yes, true. First we were planning to do it hidden. But then there were some technical problems. After discussing it we ended up making it public until the second voting round. We were not being consistent, sorry about that. XD The original plan was made without much consideration of how it would go (this is the first awards after all), so there were many modifications made at spot. XD

2nd. Amount of nominations. 20 people were overkill. I don't recall a single section where there were actuall official nominees or how they were called. I suggest a number of 15 for the bigger sections (Family Member, Epic Member) and 10 for the smaller ones (Reviewer, Scanlator).
    At first I thought there would be many nominations. The poll could only have as far as 30 names, so I thought 20 would be a great number. Some categories did get more than 20 nominees, but some others didn't, therefore we decided to take off the system to decide on official nominees. Again, on-spot alteration of the system. XD But sure, we would have to consider this more carefully next year. ^^

3rd. Campaigning. One of the more serious fails. I mean, yeah, people changing their MZ Thread Titles, and adding a "Vote me for..." sentence in their signatures sure is great and all, but somehow I don't see this as actuall campaigning. I haven't seen something like discussions between members who both were nominated for a section. For example, jorped and dark lord could have made a debate as to who of them is the most passionate member. So, maybe something like a "collosuem" or a "battlefield" would be appropriate for the next Community Awards.
    I think it depends on the categories as well. Some categories might be hard to campaign for, like "wisest staff member" or "best translator". The campaign system would definitely get a change next year, though we are not yet sure of what can be done. Perhaps providing members with a thread where they can debate or where other members can ask them questions regarding their nomination. Feel free to give ideas on how we can make this Community Awards not a simple nominate-then-vote event, but also in which members can interact and get to know each other too.

4th. This isn't a real problem, but still. I think that there were to few people actually participating in these Awards. The number of voters was something around 30. That's the MH Staff + FF/MZ'er. Of course they are also part of the Community, but the other people who post in the Manga Sections are also part of it, however they haven't participated at all. I think that the Community Awards themself need more campaigning, so that more people would participate.
    Yes, definitely. The advertisement of this event was not that prepared, maybe, although we have used all ways possible: news at the homepage, forum-wide announcement, links in signature, etc. Another homework for us next year. :P

Thank you for the feedback, alpha! Much appreciated.

6. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Goral's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Next time I would appreciate if you would make an option to receive PMs about beginning of next round. I've missed second phase (and every other round too) and I wanted to vote on gernot. I've just forgotten about it and when I remembered voting wasn't open :/. In the finals I missed the chance to vote on BDR and he ended up with no votes. This sucks.

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Most Beautiful Male 2013 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats to all the winners!! you guys deserve it

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goral View Post
    Next time I would appreciate if you would make an option to receive PMs about beginning of next round. I've missed second phase (and every other round too) and I wanted to vote on gernot. I've just forgotten about it and when I remembered voting wasn't open :/. In the finals I missed the chance to vote on BDR and he ended up with no votes. This sucks.
    I'm sorry that you missed several voting rounds. I myself missed the deadline of the final voting round. ^^; Thank you for the suggestion. Sending a mass PM each time a round begins or ends might be annoying to few people who are not interested in the awards, but I think that is indeed a good option. Or maybe you can mark the dates on your calendar as well, just in case. XD Thanks for the input! ^^

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Evil3ye's Avatar
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

So how have been the winners rewarded?

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Evil3ye View Post
    So how have been the winners rewarded?
    Working on it. We are not yet sure of the space for Community Awards in the yearbook, so adding the names of three finalists can't be confirmed yet. Sorry about that. But the winners would definitely get featured. User titles for the winners are coming along too; the administrators are rather busy nowadays.

Thank you for the patience!

New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3