Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)

View Poll Results: Did you enjoyed this chapter all about Meruem and Komugi?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • I enjoyed a lot the whole growth of Meruem with Komugi

29 70.73%
  • Bored me.

4 9.76%
  • Indiferent.

8 19.51%
New Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Hunter x Hunter 317 Discussion

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner ragnell93's Avatar
    Country
    Venezuela
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hunter x Hunter 317 / 318 Predictions

nice chapter with the gungi play and the color page, was really touching this arc with the development of the characters. Now hope for another great arc after this

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a fairly predictable chapter that makes you wonder why this didn't immediately follow chapter 314.

I don't get why Meryem implies that he's born to play Gungi with Komugi. This is clearly not what he was born to do. He can either bring unimagineable horror or usher a new utopia upon humanity. He's not born to be a Gungi player seeking the Hand of God with Komugi. Sure, I have no problem if this is where he finds comfort, but that's not his purpose in life. Meryem has shown quite a few times that he has no real interest in conquest/leadership, and merely does so because he feels it's his duty as the being atop evolution.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I liked the chapter because I like the relationship between Komugi and Meryuem.
    I'm interested though in what will happen with all the other characters however
    I think it's better to leave that for the next arc.

I'm a little confused. Is Komugi going to die with Meryuem?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phantron View Post
    It's a fairly predictable chapter that makes you wonder why this didn't immediately follow chapter 314.

I don't get why Meryem implies that he's born to play Gungi with Komugi. This is clearly not what he was born to do. He can either bring unimagineable horror or usher a new utopia upon humanity. He's not born to be a Gungi player seeking the Hand of God with Komugi. Sure, I have no problem if this is where he finds comfort, but that's not his purpose in life. Meryem has shown quite a few times that he has no real interest in conquest/leadership, and merely does so because he feels it's his duty as the being atop evolution.
    That's not what he was born to do though it's what the queen chose he was born to do. The main purpose of this chapter was for Meruem to realize that he has to take the bull by the horns and choose his own purpose in life. Everyone following him said your destiny is to be king you are the king and nothing more. But by playing with the weak and feeble girl Komugi who excelled in sucha game he learned that not only does power have many different forms but so does ones destiny. Destiny isn't set in one path just because your father was a farmer and you live on a farm doesn't mean you can't aim to work for Nasa or a political leader. Such as even if your parents are prestige scientist it doesn't mean you have to be a scientist you can be a pro baseball player or an english college professor.

I think he did a good job setting up where this chapter would fit in place, sinec people were dying to see what happened to Gon and the others it was a nice change of pace to switch over to the Hunters giving us time to see some answers before panning back to the King and her. I think had he done this chapter right after people wouldn't enjoy it as much cause we'd keep on asking well how are the others doing it's been 5-6 chapters in and we've only be focusing on the King.

I think also this chapter is pretty much setup as a flashback since Palm's reaction seemed to be either the King had died or perhaps she was brought to tears by the fact Komugi was willing to die by the King's side and be inflicted by the poison he himself has now.

Overall it was an enjoyable chapter, Im glad he used the frames in the proper manner fitting as much as he could into the 20 pages, I"m certain other mangaka would try to fit this into 2 chapters in which they would setup a cliffhanger at the part where she uses the same move with the dinky tag of "Will Mereum Kill Komugi" kinda thing lol. I kinda think this is the last we'll see of those two, I feel next chapter it'll start with Palm saying something about the King being gone and then perhaps we'll see what Killua is doing and possibly have a full focus on Gon and the methods of his recovery.

@mrsticky005

Odds are yes since she basically lives for the game and since Meruem is an oppoenent she has enjoyed playing with so much, if he's gone her joy and excitement will be lost as well. She would much rather die by the side of the King and play Gungi til he's no longer alive rather then stay alive and stop playing so that the poison doesn't infect her. Even if it's only an extra 30 minutes of play she would rather sacrifice her life and play those 30 minutes rather then leave the King and never know if perhaps the King would've won in those 30 minutes.
    Last edited by Airget; September 22, 2011 at 04:10 PM.

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Disagree. He hasn't ushered in a new utopia and although he's brought horror the Rose Bomb shows that people are even worse than himself.
    At least with Meryem he eats people and gains their powers. Whereas people kill each other sometimes for no real reason at all.
    Since he hasn't brought either really and is going to die soon then that's not his purpose in life.

However since he looks like he might actually find the Hand of God with Komugi then that's more likely his purpose in life.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

There is no being that wield any kind of power over Meryem so far as choosing his destiny. Meryem didn't even listen to a word the Queen said before he left. He feels obliged to lead because he is The King. It'd be irresopnsible for someone who views himself as the perfection of evolution to simply let lesser species rot, even though Meryem clearly doesn't care too much about the fate of lesser species. Regardless of which Meryem (violent or merciful) turns out to lead, he feels leadership and conquest is, at best, a necessary burden. There is no indication that Meryem derives any kind of pleasure from conquest, war, or a high approval rating.

He could have just said forget this, human beings aren't worth his attention and just tell the Royals to pack up with a Gungi board and head to the wilds with Komugi and play Gungi for the rest of his life. For someone as intelligent as he is, he must have realized there are potential risks for what is essentially a war on the entire human race.

There is no question that playing Gungi with Komugi is what he enjoys the most. But that's not what he was born to do. He is The King, not The King of Gungi.

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mrsticky005 View Post
    Disagree. He hasn't ushered in a new utopia and although he's brought horror the Rose Bomb shows that people are even worse than himself.
    At least with Meryem he eats people and gains their powers. Whereas people kill each other sometimes for no real reason at all.
    Since he hasn't brought either really and is going to die soon then that's not his purpose in life.

However since he looks like he might actually find the Hand of God with Komugi then that's more likely his purpose in life.
    That's because he hasn't even finished his army which is supposed to be what backs his plans, regardless of what it turns out to be.

There is no reason to question why Meryem can't bring force the vision he promised, a world that is not necessarily perfectly fair, but won't have any unreasonable inequality. He is aware that there is a limitation even for a being of his power, but the world he promises when he negotiates with Netero is pretty much an utopia, or at least as close as you can realistically get to it.

Of course Meryem's army can easily destroy the world too. Either way, he is supposed to be the one with the power to decide the fate of the world, and that's what he was born to do. If his goal in life is to play Gungi, he could have just told the Royals to cancel the plan to create his army, he'll just head to a corner of NGL and play Gungi for the rest of his life. It'd be hard to imagine the Hunters getting the necessarily political backup to use the Rose if Meryem announces the end of his world conquering plans (everyone knows he's planning on doing it), and without the Rose it's hard to see any individual being able to threaten him at all.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Netero's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The cover and color spread was very nice. Some people might find this chapter boring, but I enjoyed it. Towards the end of the chapter I was kinda teary eyed lol.
    Last edited by Netero; September 22, 2011 at 04:54 PM.

HUNTER x HUNTER
    Isaac Netero

"That's A Bad Move... Little Ant"

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Very, very nice chapter.

It seems in the end Mereum chose to be 'Mereum' and not The King.

He needs a Hug.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Woah! I have to admit that when I heard that the chapter was only about Meruem and Komugi chatting and playing gungi, I was expecting it to be boring. After reading it though, I actually loved it! Togashi sure is one hell of a mangaka, if only it weren't for all those hiatuses. Speaking of those, I kinda expect him to tie loose ends with the last 3 chapters (before reaching his usual 10 chapters), have another hiatus and then start the new arc.

I mean if he really plans to do only 10 chapters again then it wouldn't make much sense to start next week with the new arc and then leave it there with only 3 chapters. Well if he decides to do 20 then it would be a little different I guess. It would have been perfect if he continued without any hiatuses for once but if that were the case it would have been announced by shonen jump (I think).

To cut it short, I don't really expect to see the new arc this time around.

Reviewer 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member LoneLobo's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I really, really loved this chapter. However, I totally get it when some people may find it boring, stretched and totally predictable. But I think Togashi did a great job portraying the last moments of the possible strongest creature on earth. And it was so beautifully done... that is the reason why I like Hunter X Hunter.
    Count of One Piece Reviews: 38
    Latest One Piece Review: 658

Expect reviews when the chapter deserves it!

Other Reviews: Fairy Tail 223 | HxH 311, 319-320

Interview featuring... ME =P (check it out )

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Hunter Reborn's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

This chapter was okay and that is it. Either I felt way to hype to see a glory death this chapter, or everyone knew that his death would be prolong to another chapter. Yes this is great character build, but I don't like to be given a chapter that gives us too many questions and the next chapter two chapters are just focus on how the King dies.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see how duty and passion are conflicting for Meryem like some suggest. He has a Gungi board in his throne room. If he can play Gungi while getting an arm attached, he can definitely rule a nation while playing Gungi too. This isn't someone who is regretting that he spent too much time on war and missed out on Gungi. He can be The King while playing Gungi just fine. Yes you can say if he's not bent on conquering the world all this could've been avoided, but the Ants and human cannot coexist peacefully at least not at the highest level. His existence is simply too dangerous for humanity to leave alone, so unless he's willing to hide in a cave somewhere and renounce his reign (which he could, if he was really born to play Gungi), the war against humans was always unavoidable since humanity fears his power.

At any rate, "The King" for Ants is a position by hereditary. If you're born in that position, you owe it to your species because that's where your powers come from, and must try to lead them at least reasonably well. Meryem flat out said his powers are the result of his species, and it would be utterly irresponsible for a guy born with the full blessing of his species to just leave his species to rot because he wanted to play Gungi. Could he have led with a lower profile? Sure, but again humanity doesn't trust his power so unless he's out hiding, the confrontation is still unavoidable. And suppose Meryem just goes in hiding with Komugi while rest of Ants get picked off one by one, that'd somehow make him a better person because he can play Gungi all day?

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Jack Van Burace's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe... just maybe... he found his answer!

Bare with me on this: the movie "Lawnmower-man" is about a guy who becomes incredibly smart due to some revolutionary treatment, enough to become a danger to all mankind. He is incredibly smart and powerfull, but somehow he falls into a trap and is set to die, but then at his moment of defeat, he discovers how wrong he was and redeems himself! He then starts his search for a way out of that state, the clock is ticking and the bomb that will kill him won't take forever. At the last second he figures a way and the author doesn't say if he survived or if it was too late (ok, afterwards it is said that he did survive, and it's the final scene of the movie). But the important thing is that the situation is REALLY similar to Meryem's!

I think Meryem found out what was trully important that he needed to do! He needs to pass his genes further! I know about the poison, but perhaps there is a chance that he might be able to do it without intoxicating Komugi (he can use Nen like nobody else, why not give it a try?). The thing he wasn't realizing he missed was Love! He loves Komugi, and that's his ticket to "surviving" the trap he's been into: his power/genes will live on, just like his mother's did with him, but now on the least imaginable character that is Komugi. At least that's what my mind was able to conceive by looking at the whole scenario.

Ants are all based on the Queen's reproduction. She's the only one who's reproduction matters, and the survival of the entire species depends on her. On this case, the entire "Humant" species relies on the King making this move. And I think he still could do it. She's the best strategist he found in the whole world, she's got all he could ask for as survival strategy.

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Meryem can certainly pass his genes on another generation, but what's the point? There are already members of the human/Ant hybrid alive who can reproduce. If his children sought revenge, it's pretty pointless since Meryem was never defeated by force anyway. If his children managed to coexist with human, it's still pointless because we already know Meryem has no problem with coexisting with human, it's that human cannot accept his presence at all.

As far as the setting of HXH is concerned, someone like Meryem does not belong in the world. Either he has to conquer the world to make his presence accepted, or he will be killed. Even when Meryem offered the favorable terms to Netero, he never said he's going to call of the creation of his army, so these terms are supposed to be what he thought is fair after his army has steamrolled through the human nations.

19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

I always find it interesting when an author dares to takes a romantic relationship to such levels in an action manga...it's not unprecedented of course but it's still refreshing every time...especially if it is well done...now only if the art in these chapters would be better, the entire atmosphere would be conveyed more powerfully....
    I really, really liked this chapter...it was plainly...a pleasant read...cheers

21. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast