Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/6/14 - 10/12/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!

View Poll Results: Did you enjoyed this chapter all about Meruem and Komugi?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • I enjoyed a lot the whole growth of Meruem with Komugi

29 70.73%
  • Bored me.

4 9.76%
  • Indiferent.

8 19.51%
New Reply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Hunter x Hunter 317 Discussion

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BurnSchulz's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hunter x Hunter 317 / 318 Predictions

Quote Originally Posted by Phantron View Post
    It must be easy if everything that doesn't make sense can be explained by imagination.
    I clearly didnt meant it that way...

But to think that in this whole situation Meruems words:"I was Born for this Day...! Born for this moment!" (http://www.mangareader.net/hunter-x-hunter/317/20) may mean that he means he was born to play Gungi is pretty far away from being logically.

I am pretty sure even without imagination, you could come to the conclusion that he doesn´t mean "for playing Gungi" but for this Situation as a whole and all the feelings that are around.
    You aren't stupid, no, but indeed you are very smart.
    So why did you set yourself on these silly conclusion, rather than thinking about how it was meant?
    If you dont come to a clever conclusion, you can ask what others think and see the things from different points of view.

That's better than making conclusions, which clearly don't fit, and then question the Manga or Author.
    Last edited by BurnSchulz; September 24, 2011 at 03:51 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Meryem is a character whose words are absolute. There are numerous examples where Meryem asks a question and it's implied that if you did not answer is exactly the way he expects an answer, you can very well die no matter who you are (including Komugi). One of his favorite saying is "Don't make me say the same thing again". When Meryem was questioning Pufu after they ran into Werefin, Pufu noted that neither loyalty nor fear matters to Meryem. If he answered the question wrong, Meryem doesn't care about Pufu's loyalty anymore than he cares about Werefin's fear. Conversely, if you answered the question correctly, then Meryem can pretty much put up with behavior that'd be considered insolence (Pufu was basically ordering him what to do). Werefin answered correctly and Meryem had no problem sparing his life. When Meryem asked Yupi how did he know about Knuckles's ability, Yupi was clearly ready to die for his failure to defeat the enemies, but Meryem merely said that he asked for a truthful answer, and got one so there was nothing to be afraid of.

Meryem, as a character, demands absolutely precise language from his followers, and he also leads by example. That is why he feels there is no reason to say anything twice, since he means exactly everything he says and nothing he says is open to interpretation. If the King tells you to sit down, that means you sit down.

To be fair in the same arc you see Meryem saying his favorite saying without the usual "this is absolute" stance behind it, though I'm not ready to accept that a guy who is known for absolutely precise language and demands such from all around him is now suddenly going to talk in vague terms open to the reader's imagination. If he says he was born to do something, then it has to be absolutely true based on his personality. You can't say it's just a metaphor (even though it'd make sense) because he's never one to speak in ambigious or confusing terms. If there is something that'd warrant such a fundamental change in his personality, I don't see it. I suppose you can say he changed due to his impending death, but until Werefin said Komugi's name, Meryem is still demanding absolute precision, so if something happened behind the scenes, it's not something we know about. I don't think Meryem fears death anyway.

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Jack Van Burace's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Phantron, you must realize that although he never used his social/emotional side, doesn't mean it didn't exist. Without emotions or a side of him directed to understanding another person's mind he would be flawed in his judgements about how to deal with people, so he did have it since ever. What happened imo is that only after finding something interesting in another person he had a reason to use that side of himself in favor of others, in exchange for something important to him. Otherwise he would never acknowlege anybody else, and without the Rose, he wouldn't acknowledge his guards' importance (he was self-suficient).

It was a cascade of events, starting with Netero's priviledged knowledge on Meryem, passing by the Guards' relevance in keeping him alive, and lastly (just as firstly) Komugi's ability to defeat him always, something very interesting for him, enough to make him value others much more than he did before.
    Last edited by Jack Van Burace; September 26, 2011 at 09:32 AM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Chile
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there Jump this week?

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Freecs View Post
    Is there Jump this week?
    Only One Piece is on a break, the rest are still out.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

7. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phantron View Post
    That's because he hasn't even finished his army which is supposed to be what backs his plans, regardless of what it turns out to be.

There is no reason to question why Meryem can't bring force the vision he promised, a world that is not necessarily perfectly fair, but won't have any unreasonable inequality. He is aware that there is a limitation even for a being of his power, but the world he promises when he negotiates with Netero is pretty much an utopia, or at least as close as you can realistically get to it.

Of course Meryem's army can easily destroy the world too. Either way, he is supposed to be the one with the power to decide the fate of the world, and that's what he was born to do. If his goal in life is to play Gungi, he could have just told the Royals to cancel the plan to create his army, he'll just head to a corner of NGL and play Gungi for the rest of his life. It'd be hard to imagine the Hunters getting the necessarily political backup to use the Rose if Meryem announces the end of his world conquering plans (everyone knows he's planning on doing it), and without the Rose it's hard to see any individual being able to threaten him at all.
    I think from the fact that Meryuem died before doing any of that shows that that WASN'T what he was born to do.

However since he played Gungi with Komugi then he WAS born to do that.

Yes he had plans to rule the world but clearly those plans failed thanks to the Rose Bomb.

New Reply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5