Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/7/14 - 7/13/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 502 by kewl0210 , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Metagame of the Prince of Tennis: Konomi-dundancy

THE MH FOODIE 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Sai_the_Shaman's Avatar
    Country
    Earth Kindom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Metagame of the Prince of Tennis: Konomi-dundancy

Quote Originally Posted by Atobe the king View Post
    Twist serve was the shit because a a middle schooler hitting a kicker with that much kick was amazing, A twist serve and a kick serve are the same thing.[/url]
    Slight correction. Twist kicks with a side spin added to make it twist upwards. Kick goes straight up and forward. At least that's how I've always differentiated them. They are used pretty interchangeably nowadays though....

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Atobe the king's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah i am a bit unsure about that since commentators are using them interchangably or just calling them kickers.
    When's Prince of Tennis Smash Hit 4

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Brandnewkid's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I gotta hand it to him, though. Konomi-sensei seems like the type that would admit that he sorta recycles concepts. Like, in one of the Pair Puri's he admitted that Kenya and Gin were basically created to prove how lame Kamio and Ishida T. were; to illustrate how good Shitenhouji was. That explains why there's more than one speed player. But, what's the point in making a loser like Richard Sakata, who was also said to be an insanely fast bastard? All the guy does is lose and laugh. "AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA" all the way to the losers team.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Richard seems to be a shoutout to Gael Monfils...i really don't know why he brought him back though.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Kaoz's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Richard was thrown in to show that Sengoku had developed, and that's about it. I really have no idea why he got into the camp though... maybe Kadowaki and Richard made it because Konomi knew they weren't popular (or were they?) and that way not many people would feel bad when they got hit by Abare Dama and Hopping Ball.

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Grin Re: The Metagame of the Prince of Tennis: Konomi-dundancy

Yeah Richard is fodder.

The fault I found with Konomi though, was that in the U-17 Camp, he has Fuji Yuuta and Mizuki Hajime from a team who didnt even make the nationals, But no Tetsu Ishida.

Also what about the other teams from the Kansai Region and the Japanese players of Nagoya Seitoku who defeated Yamabuki and reached the Semi-finals only to be replaced by some foreigners.

I imagined at the start that Konomi would bring in guys not mentioned in the Nationals coz they were from other teams in other regions.
    Coz there are SO many prefectures in Japan yet the Camp only has Tokyo, Kanagawa, Osaka, Hyougo, Chiba, Okinawa and where ever Richard is from.

I didnt think Konomi would use only characters that had been defeated by Seigaku before for the camp.
    Disappointed a little.
    Last edited by Airgrimes; September 16, 2011 at 05:03 PM. Reason: a pointless line

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Airgrimes View Post
    Yeah Richard is fodder.

The fault I found with Konomi though, was that in the U-17 Camp, he has Fuji Yuuta and Mizuki Hajime from a team who didnt even make the nationals, But no Tetsu Ishida.
    Haven't read the opening chapters in a while but it's not long after nationals he could still have the wrist injury taka gave him, not best to aggravate that injury playing DBZ high schoolers.

Quote Quote:
    Also what about the other teams from the Kansai Region and the Japanese players of Nagoya Seitoku who defeated Yamabuki and reached the Semi-finals only to be replaced by some foreigners.
    yamabuki is pretty irrelevant, as were the original members of Nagoya team, they were replaced for a reason.

Quote Quote:
    I imagined at the start that Konomi would bring in guys not mentioned in the Nationals coz they were from other teams in other regions.
    Coz there are SO many prefectures in Japan yet the Camp only has Tokyo, Kanagawa, Osaka, Hyougo, Chiba, Okinawa and where ever Richard is from.
    He's already got his hands full with the HS students you want him to make even MORE characters?

Quote Quote:
    I didnt think Konomi would use only characters that had been defeated by Seigaku before for the camp.
    Disappointed a little.
    Richard and Krauser weren't beaten by Seigaku, Konomi included the majority of the relevant and not so relevant teams. Seigaku has beaten all of them.

THE MH FOODIE 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Sai_the_Shaman's Avatar
    Country
    Earth Kindom
    Post Thanks / Like

He said Tetsu. not Gin.

Gin was the older brother whom taka injured his wrist.

Tetsu was the younger brother in Fudo....

Also, Gin is in the camp....

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

derp got them confused, and no tetsu...well thats probably because they have gin there lol.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Konomi admitted that Gin and Kenya were created as being basically better versions of Tetsu Ishida and Kamio. So, there's no real reason to have Tetsu and Kamio in the story anymore other than to cheer on Tachibana and Shinji seeing how Gin and Kenya effectively took their roles. I mean, all Tetsu had was the basic Hadokyu while Gin has 108 different forms of it, each one stronger than the next; and Kamio's rhythm doesn't mean jack-squat compared to a guy so fast he can run on water.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Haven't read the opening chapters in a while but it's not long after nationals he could still have the wrist injury taka gave him, not best to aggravate that injury playing DBZ high schoolers.
    I think Tetsu > Kadowaki so the camp confused me there a little.

yamabuki is pretty irrelevant, as were the original members of Nagoya team, they were replaced for a reason.
    Yeah, but they didnt start off that way.
    The Jimmies were meant to be an EXCELLENT Doubles pair and pushed the Golden pair to 7-5.
    Sengoku was referred to as freakin Awesome, and Akutsu? Everyone knows he was Badass.

But now they totally suck? I think that goes under Konomi's dundancy or whatever this thread-owner calls it.

He's already got his hands full with the HS students you want him to make even MORE characters?
    He doesnt have his hands full. He works less than he did with Part I. Monthly.
    yeah he has the HS students who are 2nd Stringers who he has seemingly thrown away. We didnt even see ONE of those
    ''5 shuffle matches a day''.

He didnt even explain how St. Rudolph players were chosen when they didnt even reach Nationals.

Richard and Krauser weren't beaten by Seigaku, Konomi included the majority of the relevant and not so relevant teams. Seigaku has beaten all of them.
    Yeah Besides THREE players Richard, Krauser and Kadowaki and lets face it. None of them are PARTICULARLY AMAZING.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The Jimmies were meant to be an EXCELLENT Doubles pair and pushed the Golden pair to 7-5.
    Sengoku was referred to as freakin Awesome, and Akutsu? Everyone knows he was Badass.
    It's called "bad writing." The thing with Konomi is that he doesn't know how to keep his power balances in check. The way Momoshiro vs. Sengoku played out made it seem that Momo was on Sengoku's National-player level, and we all know that wasn't true, at that point.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:

But now they totally suck? I think that goes under Konomi's dundancy or whatever this thread-owner calls it.
    I think you forgot this is a shounen manga. Remember when Vegeta was the greatest threat to earth? yeah me neither. That analogy is really stressing it but it should sum up what im getting at. They hype up a lot of people early on but they dont deliver in the end..ironically the whole cast is subjected to this. They hype up the middleschoolers and how "X can do this and he's just a middle schooler" then you see the HS players who im sure can commit mass murder with their tennis.

Quote Quote:
    He doesnt have his hands full. He works less than he did with Part I. Monthly.
    A manga with such a large ensemble cast will be hard to manage, period regardless of how much time he has.

Quote Quote:
    Yeah Besides THREE players Richard, Krauser and Kadowaki and lets face it. None of them are PARTICULARLY AMAZING.
    Well the may it to nationals which apparently makes them in some way important

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you forgot this is a shounen manga. Remember when Vegeta was the greatest threat to earth? yeah me neither. That analogy is really stressing it but it should sum up what im getting at. They hype up a lot of people early on but they dont deliver in the end..ironically the whole cast is subjected to this. They hype up the middleschoolers and how "X can do this and he's just a middle schooler" then you see the HS players who im sure can commit mass murder with their tennis.
    I didnt forget. I mean straight off the bat of this new series, I mean if you think about it, not much has actually happened, SEVERAL Characters have been thrown away practically. Even the promising bunch.

Jirou, Zaizen, Yagyuu, Jimmies, Kite, Hirakoba, Kamio, Ibu, Sengoku, Amane(Davide)
    These guys all had promise created by the author.

The whole ''just a Middle Schooler thing'' is fine. The whole High Schoolers causing bloodshed during Tennis isnt so cool though.

A manga with such a large ensemble cast will be hard to manage, period regardless of how much time he has.
    On average he does far less than last time. This shoudnt be too hard for him. Im not saying its easy at all, I know none of us here could do it,
    But before he was during 17pgs a week. He is now doing 12pgs a month.

You work it out. His job is now far easier.

Well the may it to nationals which apparently makes them in some way important
    Not at all. Saeki Kojiro went to the nationals. He aint in the camp.
    I cant see him losing to Kadowaki Satoru.

Cant see why Konomi only brought those guys from other schools in.
    Kadowaki from Makinofuji, that school didnt even go far. They only reached 2nd Round.

Richard from St. Icaria only went 1st round.
    Konomi could have used characters that came from teams that reached the Quarter-Finals. this year.

Also
    In this camp he could have used High Schoolers who formerly went to schools in the series that just graduated and are in the year above Fuji, Tezuka, Atobe etc.

Like the Makinofuji High School 1st Years that took them to defeat Shishigaku who had the 2 wings of Kyushu, and reach last years Finals.

Like how Hara has been revealed, which makes perfect sense as to why Shitenhoji were just as strong last year.
    Surely he could have revealed who this ''Dai Sempai'' was.
    When Tachibana/Chitose VS Suzuki/Washio is taking place, Chitose says that he hasnt paired up with Tachibana since he faced ''Dai-Sempai''.
    Who must have been the year above him in his school and helped them to the Semi's last year.

Like how it is stated that Seigaku went to the Nationals last year, and also, their Captain faced Atobe some time last year and lost.
    And how Tezuka defeated their Captain last year.
    shouldnt the old Hyotei and Seigaku captains be in the camp too?

Konomi could have used them as fodder instead of recycling guys like Kadowaki and Richard who were meant to be Comic-relief but arent even funny.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Dressrosa's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

On average he does far less than last time. This shoudnt be too hard for him. Im not saying its easy at all, I know none of us here could do it,
    But before he was during 17pgs a week. He is now doing 12pgs a month.

You work it out. His job is now far easier.

This is not quite the case.

Back in 2009, Konomi said that:
    Quote Quote:
    Konomi: The serialization was weekly up until now, so now that I'm serialized in the monthly SQ, I thought that it was time. (laughs) But, I've gotten several jobs and am actually even busier than when I was serialized weekly. Between doing drafts, I have recording, radio, TV, and events, and then doing drafts again.
    This is what I don't like about Konomi. He's not just a mangaka, he's a celebrity. Or at least living like one.
    Last edited by Dressrosa; September 21, 2011 at 11:35 PM.

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast