Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Metagame of the Prince of Tennis: Konomi-dundancy

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Brandnewkid's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Metagame of the Prince of Tennis: Konomi-dundancy

I just want to ask, what's with this excuse, "Well, this is a Shonen manga?"

Seriously? All Shonen are written the same? Go read JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Loads of characters doesn't mean bad writing when executed properly.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Atobe the king's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

No one is saying that, but they're damned similar and have many aspects they almost always share, that point should be obvious enough. In terms of revolutionizing the genre PoT is the wrong place to look for that.
    When's Prince of Tennis Smash Hit 4

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Atobe the king View Post
    No one is saying that, but they're damned similar and have many aspects they almost always share, that point should be obvious enough. In terms of revolutionizing the genre PoT is the wrong place to look for that.
    No. I'm pretty sure that you guys are using "It's Shonen" to excuse bad writing, which is just totally wrong. Konomi's skills as a writer were actually pretty good in the beginning - things like the drama between the Shusuke brothers, Kikumaru's troubles, and the like. Then, this manga somehow became about who has the biggest ego. There's almost zero things to even come close to relating to now.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The drama never really went anywhere and it's funny you say he was good in the beginning since i found the early arcs of the manga boring. It's a middle school tennis team, you beat the guy on the other side of the net and that's pretty much that. I don't really see how it became and ego fest, the characters motivations and back stories were still present to the very end, not like the actual sport isnt about who has the biggest ego.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The drama never really went anywhere and it's funny you say he was good in the beginning since i found the early arcs of the manga boring. It's a middle school tennis team, you beat the guy on the other side of the net and that's pretty much that. I don't really see how it became and ego fest, the characters motivations and back stories were still present to the very end, not like the actual sport isnt about who has the biggest ego.
    Ironic, considering that the end of PoT1 showed how finding fun in tennis made you invincible, and SPoT goes against all that with it's ego-pushing characters, namely the 1st stringers. Go look at the dialogs from any 20 of 'em and see if they come off as having fun playing tennis or fully-intent on killing these middle-school students.

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brandnewkid View Post
    Ironic, considering that the end of PoT1 showed how finding fun in tennis made you invincible, and SPoT goes against all that with it's ego-pushing characters, namely the 1st stringers. Go look at the dialogs from any 20 of 'em and see if they come off as having fun playing tennis or fully-intent on killing these middle-school students.
    I agree, but perhaps Konomi has done this on purpose.
    He probably intends to have several Middle Schoolers in the Top 20.
    Which isnt cool at all.

You can only laugh now, the way Date casually sends his opponents into fences, how Yukimura blinds people, how Fuwa blinks and reverses any states.
    Or the way Taira can casually break strings on a racket in ONE return and how Hakamada can casually make a shot disappear, but then come crashing down from the sky and cause a bloodfest.

I just hope Konomi doesnt dash these characters like he did with A LOT OF GUYS FROM Part I.

Think about Jirou, Zaizen, Hitouji, Ootori, Mukahi, Yushi etc.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Series isn't over all those guys are still in...seeing as everyone you mentioned was from Hyotei or Shitenhouji

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

well, besides Hyotei and Shitenhoji,

There are Mizuki introduced as pretty strong. The flashback shows Yuuta saying he hadnt lost like that since he faced his big bro making us think Mizuki was freaking powerful, he got trashed by Fuji & Atobe who are the sort of guys you expect to trash ppl but surely he is worth more than being trashed and deserves more than being forgotten?

Sengoku, The Jimmies - Introduced as national level players.

Chinen - Introduced with trashing Aoi 6-0. But he was forgotten about immidiately after.........

Ibu & Kamio - Introduced as exccellent Juniors, and not far off from Momoshiro & Kaido's level and had a great back story they have a rivalry and are great characters but they then got forgotten...

I know the series isnt over but, its taken 60+ chapters to get to where we are and we arent far at all, so I really feel its going to be a LONG time til we see the guys that I mentioned in action anytime soon.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Mizuki will be okay i think....or he was just a plot device to reuinite Sadaharu and Yanagi lol. Him being trashed by fuji was to show that fuji isnt all smiles and how drastically he'll change for his brother (i forget if this is anime only or not but he kinda beat the crap out of the guys picking on yuuta).

Sengoku was introduced as national level...but the definition of that changed pretty quickly. Jimmies..well they have nothing special...they're from the era of "normal" tennis in PoT. Also you must understand there's two types of national level players..there's national level like fudomine..and there's "tezuka class" players.

Chinen, well i've been trying to point out for a while that rokkaku just isnt on everyones level...to illustrate this konomi made it so that ryoma didnt even play in that match.

Fudomine has been used as introduction fodder =/ they were used to illustrate the strength of Rikkai when tachibana (who was considered tezuka level) gets destroyed by Kirihara. They were used to illustrate how dangerous shiten was when kamio/tetsu/shinji cant even finish a set of tennis with them. Not to mention that they beat Hyoteis crappy reserve players (and shishido intro).

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Mizuki will be okay i think....or he was just a plot device to reuinite Sadaharu and Yanagi lol. Him being trashed by fuji was to show that fuji isnt all smiles and how drastically he'll change for his brother (i forget if this is anime only or not but he kinda beat the crap out of the guys picking on yuuta).

Sengoku was introduced as national level...but the definition of that changed pretty quickly. Jimmies..well they have nothing special...they're from the era of "normal" tennis in PoT. Also you must understand there's two types of national level players..there's national level like fudomine..and there's "tezuka class" players.

Chinen, well i've been trying to point out for a while that rokkaku just isnt on everyones level...to illustrate this konomi made it so that ryoma didnt even play in that match.

Fudomine has been used as introduction fodder =/ they were used to illustrate the strength of Rikkai when tachibana (who was considered tezuka level) gets destroyed by Kirihara. They were used to illustrate how dangerous shiten was when kamio/tetsu/shinji cant even finish a set of tennis with them. Not to mention that they beat Hyoteis crappy reserve players (and shishido intro).
    Now that you mention it, that really is all Fudmoine has been used for...
    Well then what about:

Kikumaru, Jackal, Marui, Yagyuu, Kaido, Akutsu, Kite, Ishida Gin ?

Theyve done close to nothing since the tiebreaks...

Do you think they will be back into Singles matches after ALL of the Top 20 are introduced?

Coz remember Oni told Akutsu to ''fill the darkeness in his heart''.
    Coz they were all good characters, it would be a shame if they got dashed away.
    Although we'll have to wait roughly 10-15 chapters minimum.

It depends if the Top10 play proper matches or if Konomi decides that they win instantly where you click next page and the opponent is breathing heavily on the ground.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Kaoz's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Airgrimes View Post
    It depends if the Top10 play proper matches or if Konomi decides that they win instantly where you click next page and the opponent is breathing heavily on the ground.
    I'd be disappointed if that were to happen, as the 2nd String's top 10 has at least 4 players worth mentioning (Kazuya, Oni, Yamato, and a guy that was not yet introduced in the manga, but got multiple mentions in the pair puris from what I recall).

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    Kikumaru, Jackal, Marui, Yagyuu, Kaido, Akutsu, Kite, Ishida Gin ?
    Kikumaru and Kaido are from seigaku...they're safe lol. Yagyuu,marui are safe. Ishida too and ESPECIALLY Akutsu, Konomi had him come out of his retirement for a reason...wouls be so dumb not do anything with him...i just hope he doesnt shoot himself in the foot with having to manage all these characters....we haven't seen ryoma play a complete match at all in this series and to be frank that disturbs me lol.

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Echizen not playing is an excellent thing.
    He has PoP.

Konomi is doing this to allow other players to improve I think.
    Surely if he allowed Echizen to go beyond PoP, it would make EVERY other character even Sanada, Fuji, Atobe etc. look like crap lol.

and @ Chaosmaster, your talking about Migihashi Itarou.
    He is the guy with long brown hair on the end of the Colour Splash page featuring a lot of the High schoolers like Oni who is crouching down, and Irie, beside Takei and it has Yamato, Tokugawa and the rest.
    (I think you know which one im talking about).

Migihashi was on the list I read the pair puri that featured him, so since Konomi has made effort with him,
    I hope it means that he, Tokugawa and Oni at least get a full match and not a One Page Killing.
    When I say full match I mean like Tezuka VS Yamato full match.

Not like whats happening now with the crappy 5 matches at a time idea.
    Its just horrible and I cant even get into the Yukimura Match or the Irie match :/
    I SERIOUSLY hope a Tokugawa VS RandomTop10 player doesnt happen at the same time as Migihashi's match, Oni's match and ALL the other matches.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Kaoz's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah yes, Migihashi... I can never remember his name and was too lazy to look it up. Incidentally, Pair Puri 9 mentions that his playstyle is Light Rounder... whatever that's supposed to be.

That being said, I think the multiple matches at the same time thing won't be repeated for the top 10 matches. I believe it was mainly so that it actually feels like a revolution.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol, Light Rounder?
    That sounds weird. Ill look it up when I have the time.

And it doesnt feel like a revolution.
    It feels...............not good.

I really hope its one match at a time.

Konomi had better not rushany of the characters being introduced during the Top10 matches!!!

He didnt even fully introduce the likes of Washio Issa, Suzuki Shun and Takei Toshio but he quickly turned them into fodder :/

New Reply
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast