Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/6/14 - 10/12/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!

View Poll Results: Rate the Chapter!

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 (Awful)

7 5.51%
  • 2 (Boring)

25 19.69%
  • 3 (Regular)

39 30.71%
  • 4 (Good)

49 38.58%
  • 5 (Epic!)

7 5.51%
New Reply
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: One Piece 641 Discussion

The Viennese Pixie 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: One Piece 641 Spoiler Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by JetPistol View Post
    A Hody Jones tragedy? Ah crap. Maybe he is going to be the next crew member. Lol
    Indeed, Oda was serious about making a former enemy a nakama, though fans are not all that impressed with Hodi, Oda likes making villains into nakama, such were Robin and Franky, but seriously Hodi was really unexpected, though a tragic past as this chapter seem to indicate is something that fits with Hodi, Jinbe had a tragic past losing his captain and losing the Queen as the ruler but Hodi is more of a villain type. The thing is Hodi in this arc did not seem to show any SH like features, at least Robin saved them during her time as a villain and even Franky did what he did for his brother and sisters in the Franky House. His sudden development seems to be out of the blue.

It is a rather interesting development but no one really likes Hodi, so it will take time to get used to hearing a back story with him.
    Last edited by Josef K.; October 04, 2011 at 11:03 AM.

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BlackHair's Avatar
    Country
    Sri Lanka
    Post Thanks / Like

Damnit, more useless exchange of blows, more delaying. But the real shocker is Oda trying to turn Hodi into a good guy. I hate when author do this. Even worse, Hodis sad past is made this weeks cliffhanger. At this moment I have nothing good to say about this chapter. Im disappointed big time.

Looking forward to Toriko and Naruto. Thats it for me, apparently.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Keeper of Jericho's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think anyone at this point even wants to know Hodi's background, but rather wants him to go down as painfully as possible as quickly as possible. A backstory isn't going to do anything to make him a better villain, he'll still be just a swimming turd.

Biggest thing that irks me this chapter is Hodi landing a hit on Luffy though. As if he's good enough a villain to deserve that. <_<

So far I tried to remain positive about this arc, but if these spoilers are true, then I fear I do have to agree with those who say it's being stretched out needlessly. I just want them to go down by this point, nothing can redeem Hodi or his crew at this point, I wouldn't care even if his background was more tragic than Robin's. A lack of backstory isn't even Hodi's problem as a villain, it's his believability.

Click the image and visit my place! Don't be shy!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

i hope this won't be true.. hody is basically a cruel, drug addicted asshole. i can't see any way of making him an ally to luffy, not after all he did.. i just hope jinbei will be the one to join straw hats

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't mind the cliff hanger and Hody having a tragic backstory is O.K. given the history of fishmen and merfolk and this arc.

But no, I can't see Hody being a crew member. Killing innocent people, killing own crew members, and planning the destruction of fishman island with over 5 million people on it is no way straw hat material.

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

crocodile enslaved the people of alabasta, yet nobody seemed to complain about his good intentions in the war. Hody was never a villain or a match for luffy, he might as well have a purpose for doing all this. Nobody seemed to complain about nagato wiping konoha of the map. If hody does have tragic past., THAT IS A REDEEMING FACTOR!
    "[I]If you think I'm gonna sit here idly by and do nothing, then you're right, because that's what I do here.[/I]"

Steven Hyde

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

It is a tradicional procedure between mangakas to explain why a villane does what it does. So, not a big surprise. Moreahead, I think the whole history wouldn't be that good without those explanations. Just a matter of good an patiently reading (a chapter per week).

Quote Originally Posted by JetPistol View Post
    A Hody Jones tragedy? Ah crap. Maybe he is going to be the next crew member. Lol
    Lol. Hody becomes the new crew member so that he and Chopper can exchange candy drugs and explore new transformations... "Uh, so cool!... give me that rumble ball and I will give you this crazy pild. You will be on heaven, i promise it...!" (A theme for a picture...)
    Last edited by ukimix; October 04, 2011 at 11:54 AM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

showing the cause/reason why hodi hates humans so much, and why he became so obsessed to kill humans and prove the superiority of fishman doesn't necceceraly make him a suitable new crew member for the SH crew. I for one(one of the few) want to know the how and why hodi is so twisted.
    The only reason luffy was injured by hodi is because he is underwater and "trapped" in a fragile bubble that could pop if luffy fights to roughly.
    Sure i want this arc to finish already and to finally move on to the new world , but skipping the biggest landmark(no pun intended) of the grand line would be a waste and many would complain. To conclude all who hate this arc,and complain all the time bite my shiny ass!!!

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Tonix's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

This spoiler sounds kind of fake, but maybe that's just because I don't want to believe Oda would put out a shit chapter like this right when things were finally starting to get interesting again. I want to see new Strawhat moves, I could care less about a background story for waste of time character like Hodi. Oda should have taken care of stupid stuff like this in the flashback, or when Hodi admitted that he killed Otohime.

13. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Intl Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Lord Rayleigh's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

So the spoilers says that humans did something to Hody and that he opened his mouth and people are all shocked and understood just by sight his suffering. So humans would have done something to his throat or inside his body and Luffy&Co while Fishman Island is about to get destroyed suddenly are interesting in Hody's past. Since Hody got his body fully changed with drug pills, and the priority is to save Fishman Island, I think this spoiler does not make any sense. And nothing seems to have happened except Hody showing his throat, which he probably already did somehow biting people or eating pills, and Shirahoshi beginning to cry (for Sea Kings). I don't really buy the spoiler.
    Last edited by Lord Rayleigh; October 04, 2011 at 12:44 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Finale's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The whole murdering Otohime thing and other innocent fishmen doesn't make Hodi very appealing. If he at least cared about his own crew he would have some redeeming qualities. But as far as his backstory I'm guessing his parents and perhaps brothers and sisters were killed or sold off into slavery when he was a child since he grew up an orphan. Also growing up in the Fishman District he probably was abuse and treated as disposable by a gang leader or his caretakers. This would explain his desire to enslave the human race and why he has no problem sacrificing his men. Finding his parents could be his dream if he becomes a nakama since he would never be the person to want to improve the relationship between fishmen and humans.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Dylan21's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Bleach and Naruto are already out, all we got here is just a still uncorfirmed(?) spoiler. the hell is going on?

Quote Originally Posted by dark lord View Post
    crocodile enslaved the people of alabasta, yet nobody seemed to complain about his good intentions in the war. Hody was never a villain or a match for luffy, he might as well have a purpose for doing all this. Nobody seemed to complain about nagato wiping konoha of the map. If hody does have tragic past., THAT IS A REDEEMING FACTOR!
    Actually a lot of people complain about Nagato redemption. I found all that s**t ridiculous and lame , but this is the op thread so let's drop this.

Talking about Hody, having a tragic past doesn't make someone redeemed for something he has done LATER. He might only show us the reason of his action .

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Tonix
    Right when the whole attention was on Shirahoshi, right when Oda made him look like the biggest pos in the OPverse? Would be totally unreasonable at the moments before, Read about suspense here. His "sad" past, if he had one, would at least give us the source and cause of his hate, give him some character aside from the blind human hater. Would it make him more likable, probably not, not after the last chapters, would it make him a "better" enemy, probably. And that's enough reason for me to use a couple of pages on it.

I will rate the chapter after seeing the actual pictures instead of a summary.:P
    Last edited by Schabrak; October 04, 2011 at 01:22 PM.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Mische's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Damn... Op got predictable lately... Pls Shirahoshi just call the seakings already to save the island. Just get it over with so we can see smth. that has not been discussed for weeks here...

Who ever thought Hodi didn´t have a past that made him do all this cruelty? That would have been totally non Oda like!!!

I´ll wait for the chap before i say more... You can never tell just from reading spoilers if it was good or not!

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Tonix's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

@Schabrak

You mean right when he was about to execute the royal family and put an end to any sort of peaceful interaction between fishmen and humans? Yeah, i think that would have been a great time to reveal an actual act of unspeakable evil done to a fishman man by humans, (since Hodi's plan was to rally the rest of Fishman Island into a crusade against mankind) especially after he revealed that he killed Otohime, which was previously one of the biggest reasons for fishmen to dislike humans. As it was, Hodi let the whole island see that he was to blame for a lot of their past problems, but he left before providing them with a reason for his hatred.

20. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast