Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 (2)

View Poll Results: How will FI be saved or will it not be saved?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Luffy uses gear 3rd

0 0%
  • Decken wakes up

0 0%
  • Shirahoshi summons giant sea kings

4 50.00%
  • Someone else helps/other suggestion

1 12.50%
  • It will not be saved

3 37.50%
New Reply

Thread: Josef K.'s One Piece Review : Chapter 640

The Viennese Pixie 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Josef K.'s One Piece Review : Chapter 640

Introduction:

My first review and I would like to start off with a chapter that brought a break with it, so in order to keep the One Piece spirit up for fans in this week of the break I decided that I would review the latest chapter that we got. It was a good chapter for me, not on the scale of the previous one, also I will add a poll for this post so you can post what did you think of a question from this chapter, something interesting no doubt. Since the chapter discussion already has a poll for chapter rating. You may post comments with suggestions and critique so I can improve, hope you have fun reading as I do making it.

640 : Fishman Island Rising

Vivi has grown and a camel has an apple

Ok the first thing is the title, on one piece wiki it was "Right Above Fishman Island", and I find that more accurate, because it tells the story of the chapter more, Noah being above the island, and the danger that it causes, with the events of the chapter we now see that Noah is RIGHT above Fishman Island. The cover was kind of expected, this may conclude the people in Alabasta that need to be covered by the cover story. Many seem to like Vivi all grown up, well so do I , and I would like to see her more into the story, so far only reactions from her about the SH's, sad but I liked her so instead of just reading the news like she is here, holding the paper I want more from her story wise, oh well I can hope. She will remain their friend forever I suppose, just the whole cover brought memories. Now onto the next princess and her island.

Part 1: Straw Hats vs New Fishman Pirates

Excuse me guys your bones are visible

So Oda continues to do the match ups, in this chapter we start of with Sanji fighting with Wadatsumi, we do not see Jinbe, he is probably down there in the dust fighting as well. I look forward to him working with Sanji, the beginning is actually more concentrated on Nami and these guys up here thought she was a witch because of her weather weapon powers. She displays her new power on them, Lion Rod!, and its pretty much toast for the guys who thought she was a witch, she does call herself a magician though. Adn just at the time when she is having her moment, Ikaros tries to "dry her up", that guy is a boring character if you ask me, all these villain in the arc are just for a comedy effect. Hody's crew is kind of a joke. They all have quirks and weird things that they say or do. Ikaros is a prime example. Yohohoho, Brook to the rescue, but not before getting something in return, that's right, he wants panties! Come on ladies show him some! I begin to wonder did he charge with panties at his concerts as a rock star, I am sure he saw plenty of them, what do you think? Also he gets double shot by Nami and Ikaros, yeah again no panties but Brook is all dried up don't you think?

As Icaros would say : Muchhhhhhh! Ow!

Rawr! Franky to the rescue as well. But he is just looking for someone to smash is all, he is showing off his Vegapunk influenced toys yet again, owning Ikaros with a super punch. Good old Brook can not catch a break Zeo is below him, after we get Franky showing off his skills Brook gets his fight, btw do you think he will show him full potential in this battle showing off as many Vegapunk stuff as he can? Like I said Brook is near Nami trying to protect her, when Zeo who previously said he was going to hold Nami so that Ikaros can hit her is now found on the ground with Brooks foot in his face, well certainly he tried to shape this to his advantage and tell he is using a head butt attack, though that made him more lame in my opinion, these villains are just show off. At least previously villains showed off but they had powers to back their words. So yeah more villain bashing. So after that it looks like we are about to close the match ups for this chapter Usopp and Chopper are busy dealing with Dosun and Daruma. Usopp is having a hard time with Dosun, I thought maybe they will duke it out, but Chopper who was digging holes and it looked like he was going after Daruma who is also digging holes to fight him, Usopp tells him to get out and uses an attack which effects portray a skeleton0like after-explosion dust. I thought it was Brook at first and now we have Usopp and Chopper change opponents. That is interesting, do you think swapping enemies would be common here since Robin and Nami still do not have enemies, they were stolen from them, you know Zoro took his match by saving Robin and now Nami was saved not getting an opponent either. So Nami and Robin is the big question. But we see that Usopp mentions them fighting digging villains in Alabasta so I suspect they might do the job quickly and Robin and Nami may go find the Poneglyphs or something? After that we see Zoro doing good with Hyouzou and Madam Shirley is being asked abou the fate of the island. This got me thinking, will we see her do something, is Oda foreshadowing something with her? Arlong? He is her brother?

Part 2 : The Ship is falling!

Bortherhoshi! Proof how sweet name calling can be

Ok, so we change scenes now, to the crew that is trying to save the ship. Shirahoshi is still on the run and Hosy is like the Coyote, he is so persistent, hopefully he fails as he always did, so Road Runner(sorry wrong cartoon >.>), I mean Shirahoshi is trying so hard to escape, her brothers are doing their best to keep Hody busy, Luffy is on Fukaboshi's back and they are headed towards Shirahoshi as well, they are Hody's second enemy in this chapter, first Hody deals with the other two brother fast using his shark fin attack. Luffy owns Hody some more, and Hody is like the Coyote, he keeps getting beaten and still it's funny the way he does, first Luffy coming out of the shark, then again with the leg, then again with the Snake Gun and now it looks like Hody is Luffy's punching bag. Even Zoro sliced him pretty quickly.

Oh Decken this is for you :

And now the shift happens, Shirahoshi tries to pull the ship out of the current path which is above FI, but the ship begins to turn back at FI again, and wouldn't you know it Decken is still alive after Hody tried to kill him, but he is clumsy and comical so he just trips and suddenly hits his head inside the ship, he starts to foam as the ship heads downwards to FI. Yes, he went into some sort of coma, we can clearly see the impact that he had with the stair? It seems like haki being the reason might have been possible if we do not see that impact which is in the same panel as the foaming. Now as the ship is falling down we see everyone's reaction to it. The best line is from Fukaboshi : Fishman Island Look Out!

Fishman Island Look Out!

Predictions :

That last panel does not look like things are going to be easy or happy next chapter, the main thing is, will Oda follow the story of the ship from the perspective of Luffy, Shirahoshi and Hody, and will Decken wake up and stop it. Or will we leave this and focus on things down on FI, I mean the ship can not just fall right? I think we will see things form the point of view of the people on FI. The crew is too busy fighting with it's opponents, everyone is in danger here, not just the kingdom, but the SH crew and visitors to FI, outside help and someone appearing might just for it, to me it has to be something with Decken, I mean the ship will fall, it's bigger then anyone so far, it is falling fast, Surime is smaller, and unless Luffy has some super gear third move that he has been hiding to crab the ship from falling, like he has done with gear one previously, it looks like the ship will fall. But unless someone goes to Decken and tries to wake him up, they have a better chance. Of course also people may get away from FI they are good and fast swimmers, but not all will get out of the bubble in time, sadly the SH crew is in most danger now, they have DF users, they need to look out for each other, them being too busy with the fights is not helping.

Rating, Credits, question of the week :

Overall rating that I already gave in the chapter discussion thread is 4/5, and yes the end was a great cliffhanger but the first part was rather uninteresting and was the SH crew owning, which was good, even the second had Hody getting owned. So yeah 4/5 for the great thriller ending cliffhanger.

The credits for the pictures go to mangastram/binktopia and the Scanlator team from there.

The question of the week will be put in the poll, this week the question is, Did Brook charge with panties for his concert? Hm, I mean how will FI be saved or will it not?
    Last edited by Josef K.; October 01, 2011 at 05:25 PM.

2. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Anduren's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Josef K.'s One Piece Review : Chapter 640

Twas a nice review though I don't see any pictures.... (I'm only mentioning since at the end there were credits for pictures) Maybe there was a lil booboo and something went wrong with the picture linking *shrugs*. But it was entertaining to read!

I can't really see how fishman island can be saved at this point.... But it HAS to be saved because otherwise it wouldn't count as Luffy destroying it. So the cliffhanger is bigger than it normally would be. Luffy said he's going to protect everyone; so it's really his responsibility now and if he doesn't/cant do anything to stop Noah, it will count as him still not being strong enough to protect everyone. Shirahoshi could call the sea kings; but there also, I don't know how the sea kings could stop Noah without crushing it....maybe they could just break its fall who knows. I don't think Decken will regain consciousness in time; but that's a good possibility too considering how in One Piece some people seem to stand back up after being shot a few dozen times etc.

For suggestions, I was going to say more pictures would be nice lol but I think they were supposed to be in there but they didn't show up maybe. Also, as a review, it doesn't have to explain what happened in the chapter any more than being a really short summary. The opinions and interpretations are what I really enjoyed reading .

Thanks for the review.....Much! (as Ikaros would say ).

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    The Viennese Pixie 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.

I used the site postimage.org for the image linking, might not work for everyone I guess, sorry. >.>
    I would have used imageshack but it has some problem for me.

Yes, I tired to keep the story telling to a minimum and rather give my own opinions, but just to keep up with things and not miss anything important and stuff. I would go for gear 3rd as maybe something goes a miss and Luffy does destroy the island with gear 3 while protecting it, it would be ironic, Decken was primarily my hope, sad that it seems the most unlikely, even the sea kings are a better shot.

Intl Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Lord Rayleigh's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review. It's been quite a time since we had one here.

On the predictions : there is no way Luffy can block/destroy the ship. If he does a Gigant Fuusen, he's going to break his coral bubble and if he uses his hands or feet in the water, with the Devil Fruit's natural weakness, we can be sure he won't have enough strenght against a massive falling ship which is half size of Fishman Island. All it seems to be left is Shirahoshi's "Mermaid Princess power".

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.

I was going by what he did when they fought the Kraken here.Though the ship is a lot bigger, he did use haki with that punch so haki is protection from the water?

Also about the pictures, even I can not see them now, it seems the image upload site has some problem, sorry, I will try to upload them again today on a different site.

Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you for the review.I've voted that someone other will save fishmen island,because I believe caribo will absorb noah.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply