Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 761 by cnet128 , Bleach 597 (2) , Gintama 511 by kewl0210
New Reply
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think One piece is?

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Impel Down's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is One Piece?!?!

That's a pancreas, not a pancrea. But yeah, I think it is Panacea, you're right. But, they could have just thought he was rich, because of his ship and whatnot. And power and fame make you wealthier than money, don't they? Paris Hilton or David Bowie could throw all their money out of a moving plane, and they could still get anything they want.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Anti-panda's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IgnorantSage View Post
    But wasn't it mentioned that Gol D. Roger was the man who had 'wealth, power, and fame'? So technically he couldn't have been dirt-poor like Luffy although I must agree that he was a lot like Luffy in his personality and outlook in life.

Oh and I think it's panacea (not sure about the spelling either) not a pancrea which is a body part.
    I'd like to remind you that up until the end of the last arc .. luffy and Co had 300 million beri in gold.. And the only reason they didn't have more is because they thought the Shandian/Skypeian people weren't trying to give them a giant pillar of gold.
    In Oda I trust .. Follow me to the sea of dreams.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member IgnorantSage's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

^^
    Sorry, my mistake... I just made the assumption that they are dirt-poor cause they usually are, though they do have outrageous amounts of treasures from time to time but they somehow manage to spend it pointlessly (sometimes usefully).

Too many things to do
    Too lazy to take action

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, didn't Perona say that they didn't have any treasure on their ship? So that must mean they don't have much money, right? The Franky Family stole most of their money also, and they only things they have of value are their ship and Zoro's blades.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Naelyan's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, on 300 millions, franky spent 200 for adam woods, and luffy spent the remaining for that 3 days long party they had at water 7, so they prolly don't have much left if anything.

Anyway, personnaly, I think the one piece might be something really unimportant. Seeing how luffy and roger were so alike, if luffy was asked where he left his greatest treasure, it would definitely be his straw hat, so I think that it might be something that was very important to roger but with little value for anyone else. If you think about it, to luffy, one piece's exciting cause it means a great adventure, so saying I left my treasure on that island might only mean, try and go there and have a lot of fun trying to get it, as I did to get there, and it worked, for twenty years now.

Well, that's the way I see it... also, after they find out what one piece really is, i could see them finding a note by roger "of and I left that mountain of treasure buried just there also. lol
    With Great Power Comes Great... Evil!

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe his treasure is one of those triangey pirate hats, like that Jack Sparrow wears. And that's like the crown to be Kaizagou-Ou, and Luffy trades it for the straw hat, that he then gives to Shanks.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Nah, straw hat luffy wouldn't be straw hat luffy without a straw hat wouldn't he... you get my point.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, he never really states that he actually likes it, he just states that he's holding onto it for a friend, i.e., Shanks.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah but it's really important to him, because it was the first time shanks acknowledged luffy would become a pirate, whereas he was making fun of him before... but yes, I guess it could be a hat for roger too, but then he and luffy would be too much alike... it's like if we were to learn his crew was a swordman, a money-lover navigator, a liar, a love-cook, you see what I mean... oda as always been so much original in his work, I think one piece is gonna be really surprising, something unique to roger that we wouldn't think of.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Imitorar's Avatar
    A world of my own creation located within the depths of my mind.
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

As to the hat, I honestly wonder if Shanks will ask for it back, or whether he'll say something like "keep it, Luffy, you've earned it." Because I think Shanks will be there when Luffy finds One Piece. I'm sure all the Yonkou will be there, and that he'll have to fight Whitebeard to get it. But as to what One Piece is, I think it's a book. A journal of all of Rogers adventures. Everybody who knew them both says that Luffy is alot like Roger (though I think Roger was very smart, since he could read Poneglyphs and stuff, so he'd be like Luffy with Robins intelligence... weird thought.) and what does Luffy value most? Adventure and dreams (friends are important because they are the people who help you achieve those things, and because they're the ones who you share your dreams and adventures with.) So I say One Piece is the Captains Log for the Oro Jackson. It's Rogers personal record of his entire adventure. I can see Luffy being interested in that, assuming he could stay still long enough, he'd probably love reading about the greatest adventure of all time (except for perhaps his own.) And as to the "wealth" thing... Roger probably told everyone he had a treasure. Everyone thought it was gold and silver and jewels, because they are short-minded people. Nobody realized that to him, true wealth was adventure. His adventure was his treasure.

Sigpic gotten from Impel Down

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree with you, and instead of a book, a captains log, I once thought it could be the log post he used to cross the grand line, that's kinda a recording of his adventure, so it's kinda important.

As for roger knowing the poneglyph, I don't know... I just can't picture him or luffy studying to learn that very complicated stuff... for all we know, he might have had a crew that could read them, and have that person write a message for him... that's what luffy would do if he wanted to leave such a message, so it's possible.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, didn't Kokoro already say that he was dumb, like Luffy? So, then why does he know Ponegylphs?

And what would be the point of a book that tells you all about something you already did? Roger is better than that, I'm sure. Maybe the position of Kaizagou-Ou IS the treasure?

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess if he's half as dumb as luffy he wouldn't write anything, and that would support that he in fact had a crew member that could understand ponyglyph, rather then being able to read it himself... it's like luffy said, he can't navigate, or use a sword, or cook, or lie... lol... so I don't really picture roger as a one man team that could do everything all by himself on his ship.

And wouldn't it be kinda... disappointing if it was only that... I mean, sure it's possible but that'd be kinda lame, in a sense... not that being the pirate king is lame, but since it's the one who get one piece that become the next pirate king... it'd be like, it's the one who become the next pirate king that become the next pirate king...

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, then wouldn't it be real treasure if it would be so lame to be a Kaizagou-Ou with nothing? I mean, if Roger is like Luffy, then he'd want things to be as cool as possible.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't mean being the pirate king is lame, with or without a big treasure, I already said that, it's not what I meant at all, believe it... but if belonging one piece means being the pirate king, then one piece can't be only the title...

As for cool things, luffy is easily impress by many things, and anyway it's not about if it's cool or not, it's about what's really important to him, and I think the only thing more important to luffy than his straw hat would be his nakama, but I highly doubt gold roger has left his nakama on raftel, having them wait to be possessed by the next pirate king... LOL

So i'd still go with something without any value as gold and jewel, but an object deeply important to roger.

New Reply
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast