Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply

Thread: The effects of manga on your psyche?

The Viennese Pixie 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

The effects of manga on your psyche?

Well, you know sometimes I feel as if manga, as most art, has an effect on some of my basic psychological traits. Like for example manga can sometimes cheer me up, a new chapter some day of the week can turn a gloomy day of the week into a happy one. More so, if the series has been absent or something for a while.

How does manga effect you psychological self? How does it effect you on a daily basis? Does it make you happy, sad, motivated, does it bring closure as some art does? What emotions have you experienced while reading manga that you also have after reading a good book or watching an amazing movie?

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity SharkBait's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The effects of manga on your psyche?

Definitely do read some manga to make me feel good when Im feeling down, really fluffy happy boy's love manga does this for me.

Typically I usually want to always feel good so I try to read series with characters that are just having a good time or always can succeed. I hate getting depressed and sad from series too. And with reading manga sometimes before bed, it can be really hard to sleep after reading something saddening or depressing. (manga with suicide for example)

SoTaku is Love | Team Haikyuu!! | Team Hi-Fi Cluster | Team Food Wars!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    England
    Post Thanks / Like

Commonly I typically need to dependably feel great so I attempt to peruse arrangement with characters that are simply having a decent time or dependably can succeed. I despise getting discouraged and dismal from arrangement as well. Also with perusing manga here and there before bunk, it can be truly difficult to rest in the wake of perusing something disheartening or discouraging.
    danial

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I read manga for enjoyment and entertainment, but certain chapters and scenes from Innocent stayed with me emotionally and mentally. The manga is one of the darkest and heaviest that I'm reading atm, and it guts me every chapter- yet I can't stop reading.

Spoiler show

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity SharkBait's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont think I can do heavy manga, then again I started picking novels back up and they sometimes have the moments that are just hard hitting and make you stop and think about life, etc.

SoTaku is Love | Team Haikyuu!! | Team Hi-Fi Cluster | Team Food Wars!

Wrecking Ball 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Liberia
    Post Thanks / Like

It depends on what kind of manga that I'm reading, of course. I won't glorify my activity of reading manga as something that is always cathartic, but I have many moments where the plot, moral message, subtle advice stuck with me for a while. Sometimes manga can provoke you to think outside the box, and usually during those moments I need to rest before I read something else again.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Lawliet's Avatar
    Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

Manga influenced me a lot. Manga-ka are a type of communicator anyhow, and the more the manga readers value the art and each manga-ka's works in particular, the more those manga-ka's messages had a great influence on them. I've grown up among books. Fictions and manga have long been my private consultants and an escape when I got bored or tired of the real world. Therefore, manga like "REAL" from Inoue Takehiko, or "Rookies" from Morita Masanori, or "One Piece" from Oda Eiichiro strengthened my self-value and appreciations on life and dreams of both me and others.

"Blush DC" from Miyazaki Maya, however, educated me huge failure and great ugliness of real humans' mindset til no end.

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ProGoddess's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Green Grin Re: The effects of manga on your psyche?

Reading manga is a form of entertainment for me and perhaps a type of "de-stressor" as well, especially after a hard day where I don't wanna think about what has been happening in the real world. Manga gives me that kind of liberty to "see, feel and do" things in a different perspective, unlike the "laws and orders" or "rules and regulations" that our world have which restrict us of certain thinking and behaviours.

Overall I have really enjoyed reading manga (anime too) and many times, I feel more relaxed and happier especially when certain scenes or arcs make me laugh. It is like all my stress is being blown away.

~~~~++~~~~Do You Love Me?~~~~++~~~~

New Reply