Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)

View Poll Results: What series should we start reviewing next?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fairy Tail

2 100.00%
  • Naruto

0 0%
  • One Piece

0 0%
  • New Series (specify in post)

0 0%
New Reply
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Reviewer Alliance HQ Thread

Reviewer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member blackjack612's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Reviewer Alliance HQ thread

So we're reviewing this week's One Piece?

Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity alphabeta's Avatar
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack612 View Post
    So we're reviewing this week's One Piece?
    To make it short. No.
    To make it long. Wait till bene updates the OP. I've written the detailed plan of what to do next there.

---------- Post added at 10:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 PM ----------

I got tired of waiting for bene

As of now, this is considered the OP and for the time being it will stay this way. You all know what to do.

Der blaue Denker MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Wait we are not reviewing One Piece? I joined the group for this reason.

Also my other goal was to spread to reviewing thing farther from the Bleach and Naruto forums which already got steady and weekly reviews. Seinen forums and their manga deserve reviews as well.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
    Wait we are not reviewing One Piece? I joined the group for this reason.

Also my other goal was to spread to reviewing thing farther from the Bleach and Naruto forums which already got steady and weekly reviews. Seinen forums and their manga deserve reviews as well.

We ARE going to review OP. But not now. First we are gonna finish the whole stuff I mentioned in the plan I just published. Once we do that, we'll decide what manga to review next. If you want One Piece we'll discuss that and choose a date when we'll do One Piece, agreed?

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, sorry, but I read the previous post and the question of "We are reviewing One Piece this week right?" was answered with "No", of course this is a team and my personal preferences can not be the teams, but I was surprised that you would rule out reviewing One Piece just like that.

Again I am glad it will be a discussion where everyone can participate. Oh and about "new comers" doing the bonus section, I do not mind, I am more interested in the discussion in what to review, and give more things to review of people who like that manga more then the rest, example:

Someone is really fond of Naruto, or liked that week's chapter, he should get the chance to express more of his views in the review. Just my opinion.

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

The tricky part is that we have to decide beforehand what manga to review. We can't just wait for a new chapter of Naruto/Bleach/OP and if we thinks it's cool make a review. That's why I said that we are going to review OP sooner or later.

Actually, and this goes for everyone now. Since there are 10 reviewers, my plan is to create 2 teams of 5 reviewers who will work indepently, what will allow us to double the amount of reviews we release. Also, I haven't decided this yet, but I thought that one team will do a series on a constant basis (e.g. OP) and the other might switch with every new review. And speaking about your case you might be the in the team who will review OP on a constant basis. Well, I'm not sure yet, this is all still in the discussion phase.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Exactly what I want! A discussion, that is why I started with ideas, brainstorming, if you will.

So yeah to go in dept with my idea, and from what you said, let's decide after the manga is out, meaning, beforehand we only decide what we are aiming for, like "Ok, we will all read that chapter next week and in a few days after we will decide who will review it." Opinions of the chapter vary, I did not like it, you did, the one to review it is you, rather then me ranting things I did not like and stuff, you can be more calm in the review and touch topics I might have missed.

As for who reviews what it should be individual and those 5 should really be a "hardcore" group of fans to really like reviewing only that manga constantly. We need volunteers for that.

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

For starters, I'm really grateful for being a part of this wonderful project. I hope that this experience can be enjoyable as well as educative.

My timezone is GMT by the way.
    "[I]If you think I'm gonna sit here idly by and do nothing, then you're right, because that's what I do here.[/I]"

Steven Hyde

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

@Josef
    I really appreciate your enthuisasm, and thanks to you I added a new question (C6) we need to discuss, but like I mentioned I would like to finish the questions in chronological order and not jump from one to another. Thanks, but we'll discuss what manga to review at the very end, once we discussed all the other stuff.

@DL
    You're praising this project too much

And GMT... like just GMT... GMT 0?

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alphabeta View Post
    @DL
    You're praising this project too much

And GMT... like just GMT... GMT 0?
    yes GMT casablanca, lisbonne...
    "[I]If you think I'm gonna sit here idly by and do nothing, then you're right, because that's what I do here.[/I]"

Steven Hyde

Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, guys, why don't you two start telling me your thoughts about questions A1 and A2, and the other rest?

---------- Post added at 11:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 PM ----------

This thread died the moment I suggested to start working

Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alphabeta View Post

This thread died the moment I suggested to start working
    Don't worry, I'm planning on being very active here. You'll get bored of me.

Steven Hyde

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I would not go too much into spreading out the review, keep it simple and interesting, have some sections be there always, as for others change them depending on the chapter or manga that we review.

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Well,we should have a small summary section and when I say small,then I mean very short.Most people read the chapter already,so they don't need a rehash.What you can do,or rather what some reviewers do is to mingle thoughts with a (longer) summary.

A Theory section is also a must-have.You don't need to make one every single time,as it would be plain dumb to make far-fetched and stupid theories for the sake of having some,but you can always give some food for thought.It will spark discussions and make people think.

Then you should add an Impressions section and an Art section.They often are the most interesting parts.

Also,you can add a prediction section and a poll with ratings and/or different stuff like "Did you like the color page","What is your favourite new chara design?","Which character do you want to see next?".

Most of this sounds very obvious,but I thought it should be stated anyway.

20. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Reviewer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member blackjack612's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: Reviewer Alliance HQ thread

A1-A5, B1. I think a summary and impressions/overview section are the basics and anything else should be on a case by case basis, like what the reviewers feel would add to the discussion of a chapter. If you do split up teams and have an OP and other team, then the OP structure will probably be more consistent. As for splitting sections, with enough reviewers, I think any section could conceivably be split in two. For summary, this could be an equal split, or if the reviewers decide that the chapter has a separation between two scenes or parts (like this week's Bleach) then split it by part so that the transition between reviewers matches up with a transition between scenes being reviewed. I think 3 reviewers max per section should be more than enough, although the overview/impressions could have more to wrapup the thoughts on the chapter if each contribution was short enough or the chapter had enough content to warrant a back and forth discussion.

B2-B3. I don't know if we should have guidelines for this. I think it's better that everyone has a specific style than to get everyone to fit a certain style.

B4. If someone is designated as the editor of the joint review and wants to volunteer for that duty, than that reviewer could give the draft a once over, fix sp errors, and perhaps improve section to section transitions with a sentence or phrase. That said, this is a joint review, so I think the readers will expect that there will be a differing styles represented in different sections. To that end, perhaps we should note the writer of a section at it's end, so like after a ReveiwerA's half of a summary, put /ReviewerA at the end of his last sentence.

C1. I actually don't know if I can take a consistent position. I got a job and start it next week so I won't know yet how much time per week I'll have to devote to reviewing, and as a programmer, that time won't be consistent (during crunchtime). So I'll tentatively contribute when I can on series I'm familiar with (OP, Bleach, Naruto, Vagabond, Gantz, Air Gear, DGM, Billy Bat).

C2. (see B4) I figure that the Boss will be the Editor of the review and responsible for the final editing, the posting of the review and talking with all the reviewers to finalize a review structure.

C3. Let them write. Many of us reviewers are often on, so they can message us if they have questions or want tips. Similarly, if we use Google Docs, those show live editing, so any newcomers with questions could be able to watch in real time how another reviewer puts together their section. For example, if I was on, you'd probably see me lay out the structure of what I'm going to write, add images, write a first draft, edited sentences inline when I have a better phrasing, frequently change a paragraph as I write it, finish a draft, and edit the draft as a whole. Everyone has their own style and so watching one of the more experienced reviewers like underscore, bene, or alpha might give you an idea of how to start. Ideas/questions can also be added to the review by using comments (ctrl+alt+m or from the toolbar) in google docs that will add a note on the side that isn't actually part of the document.

C4. The Editor should probably keep track of the document and make a backup google doc (copy paste into a new doc or save to pdf/doc occasionally and reupload if original deleted). Google Docs may have some kind of reversion/backup built in.

C5. Again, comments (ctrl+alt+m) in a google doc at the end of a section to help the editor know when the section was finished, if it was edited, and if it's done.

C6. From reviewer interest. If enough people want to do a review, it'll probably get made.

Later and sorry for the long winded post

22. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast