Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128

View Poll Results: What series should we start reviewing next?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fairy Tail

2 100.00%
  • Naruto

0 0%
  • One Piece

0 0%
  • New Series (specify in post)

0 0%
New Reply
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Reviewer Alliance HQ Thread

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Reviewer Alliance HQ thread

I thought I should add something:

- Format
    Quote Quote:
    A1-What and how many sections should be in a review?

Judging by how much people pay attention to reviews here on mangahelpers, I'd say the less the better.

Quote Quote:
    A3-What is the maximum amount of reviewers for every precise sections?
    You can't have too many. A set of brains would outperform just one.

Quote Quote:
    A4-In what order should we make the respective sections?
    Order is not a problem if all of them are awesome. I'd wanna read it to the letter if its funny and intriguing

Quote Quote:
    A5-Should we make one fixated format for all reviews, or a specific one for every different manga?
    Diversification and creativity is a must here.

==============================================================
    - Content

Quote Quote:
    B2-How big should be a section? How many paragraphs should it have?
    I'd say about 300 words max broken down to smaller paragraphs.

Quote Quote:
    B3-How much humor/jokes should we put into our review?
    You can't have enough of those. The more the better. And while you're at it, make them interesting.

Quote Quote:
    B4-How to link the content of our respective sections? How to make the review seem more like a whole thing, and not just a bunch of text from 5 different people?
    Every single section should be as unique and awesome as the previous one. There is your link: "awesome"

==============================================================
    - Organization

Quote Quote:
    C3-What to do with the newcomers and how to involve them in our review?
    Make them proofread or edit. Pay attention to the style and the flow of the sentences.

Quote Quote:
    C6-How do we choose the manga we are going to review?

Oh yeah. Its better to choose chapter that are already epic and possibly cliffhangers since people are heated up and looking for second opinions on the chapter. We'll be there!

This is just my humble opinion!
    "[I]If you think I'm gonna sit here idly by and do nothing, then you're right, because that's what I do here.[/I]"

Steven Hyde

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity alphabeta's Avatar
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack612 View Post
    A1-A5, B1. I think a summary and impressions/overview section are the basics and anything else should be on a case by case basis, like what the reviewers feel would add to the discussion of a chapter. If you do split up teams and have an OP and other team, then the OP structure will probably be more consistent. As for splitting sections, with enough reviewers, I think any section could conceivably be split in two. For summary, this could be an equal split, or if the reviewers decide that the chapter has a separation between two scenes or parts (like this week's Bleach) then split it by part so that the transition between reviewers matches up with a transition between scenes being reviewed. I think 3 reviewers max per section should be more than enough, although the overview/impressions could have more to wrapup the thoughts on the chapter if each contribution was short enough or the chapter had enough content to warrant a back and forth discussion.

I had similiar thoughts. Like mentioned above, a review has three basic sections. Summary, Overview and Predictions. Fine, but let's not forget your strong point - Art Corner . That's already 4. And of course Bonus section. I didn't recruit Writers/Artists for nothing. I'd say that these 5 are must-have sections, that every JR will feature. The only thing that's left are "Small Summary", "Character Spotlight" and "P.S.". Personally I can live without Small Summary and P.S., but I think we should make Character Spotlight a permanent section too.

B2-B3. I don't know if we should have guidelines for this. I think it's better that everyone has a specific style than to get everyone to fit a certain style.

B4. If someone is designated as the editor of the joint review and wants to volunteer for that duty, than that reviewer could give the draft a once over, fix sp errors, and perhaps improve section to section transitions with a sentence or phrase. That said, this is a joint review, so I think the readers will expect that there will be a differing styles represented in different sections. To that end, perhaps we should note the writer of a section at it's end, so like after a ReveiwerA's half of a summary, put /ReviewerA at the end of his last sentence.
    I'm not saying that we should make absolute strict laws, but a certain "direction" wouldn't hurt. Best case scenario would be if we'd choose a specific amount of paragraphs and choose what to write in what paragraph, but I suppose that's asking too much.

And I like the idea about the editor making transitions. We'll have to discuss that more detailed later. However, I'm against this /ReviewerA-stuff. I think that will only interupt the "flow" of the review, the reader will constantly see /ReviewerX; /ReviewerU. We can make a credits section, where we can list down who wrote what if we want to.

C1. I actually don't know if I can take a consistent position. I got a job and start it next week so I won't know yet how much time per week I'll have to devote to reviewing, and as a programmer, that time won't be consistent (during crunchtime). So I'll tentatively contribute when I can on series I'm familiar with (OP, Bleach, Naruto, Vagabond, Gantz, Air Gear, DGM, Billy Bat).

C2. (see B4) I figure that the Boss will be the Editor of the review and responsible for the final editing, the posting of the review and talking with all the reviewers to finalize a review structure.
    About C1. I suppose I should rephrase the question. I meant that who is responsible for the specific sections in our review, not the MH Forum sections. And @ you not being able to contribute to our reviews... Joking

Basically I agree with what you said about the Editor, however there are a few things, like the posting of the review, that have to be discussed more detailed.

C3. Let them write. Many of us reviewers are often on, so they can message us if they have questions or want tips. Similarly, if we use Google Docs, those show live editing, so any newcomers with questions could be able to watch in real time how another reviewer puts together their section. For example, if I was on, you'd probably see me lay out the structure of what I'm going to write, add images, write a first draft, edited sentences inline when I have a better phrasing, frequently change a paragraph as I write it, finish a draft, and edit the draft as a whole. Everyone has their own style and so watching one of the more experienced reviewers like underscore, bene, or alpha might give you an idea of how to start. Ideas/questions can also be added to the review by using comments (ctrl+alt+m or from the toolbar) in google docs that will add a note on the side that isn't actually part of the document.
    I couldn't have said it better

Spoiler show

Still, I think, that learning-by-watching is not the same as learning-by-doing. I plan on giving them respective sections in our JR from the get-go, not in 10 weeks, when they've lost all interest in this Alliance. Though, this topic needs to be discussed more detailed <----- I'm writing this sentence too often

C4. The Editor should probably keep track of the document and make a backup google doc (copy paste into a new doc or save to pdf/doc occasionally and reupload if original deleted). Google Docs may have some kind of reversion/backup built in.

C5. Again, comments (ctrl+alt+m) in a google doc at the end of a section to help the editor know when the section was finished, if it was edited, and if it's done.

C6. From reviewer interest. If enough people want to do a review, it'll probably get made.
    C4/C5. I thought of doing it like this. First we create something like a changelog at the end of our review. When someone writes something he makes a post in the changelog. And, this is a new rule. Whenever someone makes any changes, after he did them, he saves the file as a .doc/.pdf./.whatever, so that we always have a backup copy just in case.

C6. I have a big plan about this one. Will post it later

@DL
    Sorry, bro, I'll answer your post later. I'm kinda busy atm
    Last edited by alphabeta; October 06, 2011 at 12:08 AM.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

About sections in the review, I'm quite confused of the review having 'short summary' and 'long summary'. I think 'long summary' is not needed. One reason has been stated before as readers might have read that chapter or series so we don't need to go in depth about that. A review's purpose, as long as I'm concerned, is to pique interest of those who haven't read the chapter or series yet. Instead, we can spare more time and ideas at another sections which could show the strong and weak points.

One question: are we specific of doing chapters, or would we do series as well? How are we going to divide it? I think it would be a great idea to have two different teams who would cover chapters and series, so we can give more input to the community. It can get unfair if one member sticks in chapters or series team only, so a change of team members once in a while can be put in between.

At this moment I can't write or read too much. I'll post more later, as waiting for my question to be answered before actually giving comments to the questions given at the post alpha made (so that I won't speak out of the context :P).
    Last edited by phio_chan; October 06, 2011 at 08:04 AM.

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

ALPHA IN DA HOUSE~

Boys and girls, I am proud to announce that as of now RaveDragon is also part of the Reviewer Alliance. Alongside yuki and phio she'll be writing in the Bonus Section.

WELCOME RAVE

Reviewer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member blackjack612's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    About sections in the review, I'm quite confused of the review having 'short summary' and 'long summary'. I think 'long summary' is not needed. One reason has been stated before as readers might have read that chapter or series so we don't need to go in depth about that. A review's purpose, as long as I'm concerned, is to pique interest of those who haven't read the chapter or series yet. Instead, we can spare more time and ideas at another sections which could show the strong and weak points.
    There's an audience for both. Some readers prefer short reviews that just hit the highlights and others prefer longer reviewers that go ever everything. In general, reading a review would typically take longer than reading a short 17 page manga, or at least it does for me. So there is a segment of the audience out there also reads the reviews after reading a chapter because they're looking for insight, analysis, discussion of the events, or an alternate point of view to how they accessed the chapter. I think short and long overviews have their merits. The 'short' overview functions as a tl;dr so that those who are just there to gauge interest in a chapter could read that and skip ahead to whatever parts interest them. The 'long review' does offer more recap of the event but should also mix in some analysis. Things like: how this chapter ties into the current arc/past chapters, whether the chapter is repeating something the series does often or provides something new, the repercussions of current events in the series as they happen, questions that the chapter raise, and the unseen subtext of a chapter. And often there can be a lot of subtext when a chapter implies things through choice of words, facial expression, thematic juxtaposition rather than flat out saying them and some people don't catch it because they're not looking for it. I just wanted to offer an alternate point of view on the 'short' vs 'long' summary.

8. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity kdowns's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

- C1 How do we choose the reviewers who are responsible for the respective sections

You should let the Reviewers pick which section they want to review, with little to no moderation as that would be restricting on reviewing something they see themselves best fit for.

- C6 How do we choose the manga we are going to review?

It should be about the personal prefrence on the reviewer as if they were told to go review something they don't like, well I don't see it coming out as good as it should have.

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Macedonia
    Post Thanks / Like

C2 Who is the boss in a team and responsible for everything?

We should give everyone a chance to decide which manga does he like the most, we can compromise as long as there is no one left with a manga he does not like. That person should boss the series and part of the review he likes the most.

C3 What to do with the newcomers and how to involve them in our review?

Spread the word! By this I mean spread the reviewing! The more series we review the more members we need.

Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Guys, I appreciate your effort when answering all those questions, but please restraing from answering all the questions at the same time. I want you all to focus first on the Format section. Once that is finished we'll move on. However if Member A starts randomly picking questions from the Content Section, Member B answer 1 post from Member A and answers 3 questions from the Organazition section it'll result in chaos. So, let's finish the Format section first. Thanks. /Alpha

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Macedonia
    Post Thanks / Like

Side question to this:

Can we individually review the series that we will rule out here? I mean are we all going to do everything together or we can start something individually if it did not get the thumbs up here? Still being with the group for other projects, of course.

Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
    Side question to this:

Can we individually review the series that we will rule out here? I mean are we all going to do everything together or we can start something individually if it did not get the thumbs up here? Still being with the group for other projects, of course.
    No, the moment you joined the Reviewer Alliance you forfeited all your individual human rights. You will do as I say. ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!

Country
    Macedonia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alphabeta View Post
    No, the moment you joined the Reviewer Alliance you forfeited all your individual human rights. You will do as I say. ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!
    I kind of feel rebellious now, but we will see, hm ...

16. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity kdowns's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Then again I didn't join as a Reviewer only as a Bonus Section writer :P

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RaveDragon's Avatar
    Country
    Malta
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello my current GMT is Current time zone offset: UTC/GMT +2 hours.

OH Fairy Tail got into a good arc lately it seems it ould be good to review that =D One piece is on the roll too

19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
    Side question to this:

You can review anything you want of course...and still be part of Joint reviews...

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

Guys, I appreciate your effort when answering all those questions, but please restraing from answering all the questions at the same time. I want you all to focus first on the Format section. Once that is finished we'll move on. However if Member A starts randomly picking questions from the Content Section, Member B answer 1 post from Member A and answers 3 questions from the Organazition section it'll result in chaos. So, let's finish the Format section first. Thanks. /Alpha
    It won't result in chaos, because I am here to read every post and help with the administrative stuff, and organizing things into order...I was out a few days, but I will start working on reading the posts ASAP and edit the OP if necessary...until then...everyone should feel free to suggest and comment w/e...

It's not necessary for people to have ideas on the format...maybe some don't have ideas, yet they might have suggestions for different areas

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by RaveDragon View Post
    Hello my current GMT is Current time zone offset: UTC/GMT +2 hours.

OH Fairy Tail got into a good arc lately it seems it ould be good to review that =D One piece is on the roll too
    I would go with OP first, because I'd like to give FT a bit of time until more developments come...

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

- Format
    - A1 What and how many sections should be in a review?
    - A2 What should the sections be called?
    - A3 What is the maximum amount of reviewers for every precise sections?
    - A4 In what order should we make the respective sections?
    - A5 Should we make one fixated format for all reviews, or a specific one for every different manga?
    In my opinion the format should look like this:

1. Introduction and credits
    2. Small summary
    3. Plot - how does the plot develop and how is the chapter integrated into the overall plot of the manga
    4. Characters - analyzing character development and character relations...I also love Jammin's character spotlight, so I think that should be added as well
    5. Art corner - this is as important as all the others, since mangas are a visual form of art
    6. Bonus w/e - I don't think this is very important, but it can be added for a lighter and friendlier feel
    7. Final thoughts and predictions

Maximum amount of people should be 2 for each section in my opinion...though I don't think there's a need for maximum number of people, because every reviewer can have ideas concerning different sections of the review...more POVs will make the review a better one...
    I think minimum number is more important, and I would stress that at least 4 people should participate, because there is a lot to write

Fix format is better for the start, until everyone gets used to the format, and to writing, then when teamwork is good, the sections can become more flexible

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

- Content
    - B1 If there are more than 2 reviewers working on one section, how should the section be spilled as to avoid repeats?
    - B2 How big should be a section? How many paragraphs should it have?
    - B3 How much humor/jokes should we put into our review?
    - B4 How to link the content of our respective sections? How to make the review seem more like a whole thing, and not just a bunch of text from 5 different people?
    If there are more people for one section, then they should be the ones to decide how to split up their respective contributions...best team work is to have smaller teams working together...divide et impera...but at least one person should be careful to connect their part to the entire review making it continuous...after the review is done, we can formulate objections, maybe suggest stuff how to make some of the edges smoother...

The length of the sections will automatically differ with each review, because not all chapter are the same...sometimes character development will be more proeminent, sometimes there will be just fights and awesome art etc...but I think a core theme of the chapter should be established each time, and we should build our thoughts around that core theme

---------- Post added at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

- Organization
    [COLOR="blue"]- C1 How do we choose the reviewers who are responsible for the respective sections ?
    We talk to each other...maybe implement a rotation of some sort...we can add constraints to the rotation though...maybe someone would like to talk about characters if we write a Gantz review...basically express wishes, which should be posted
    Quote Quote:
    - C2 Who is the boss in a team and responsible for everything?
    Nobody is the boss.
    Everybody is free to add suggestions, we will discuss them, make some compromises, and then go ahead with what we decided.
    As for responsibility: the only responsibility is to write quality stuff, when we work on the review.
    Quote Quote:
    - C3 What to do with the newcomers and how to involve them in our review?
    Every new member should express their wishes, concerning the way they want to contribute...
    Quote Quote:
    - C4 Is there a way how to prevent accidently deleting the review?
    Yes...we will create separate threads for the reviews that we will work upon.

People will post their parts, and I or the person who will start the thread will organize them according to the format we will decide upon...however that should be done only when there's a consent, in PM, either a note somewhere that the particular paragraph is final...after we put everything together, we will have the chance to fine tune...ideas or suggestions, even questions, regarding fine tuning and editing can be posted in that particular thread or PMs if you like...

Not even mentioning the fact that maybe some ideas expressed in one section could give a new point of view and ideas for writers of different sections
    Quote Quote:
    - C5 How to find out, whether someone did any changes?
    If there are smaller teams on one section, then the members of that specific team should decide on how will they edit their own content...but again, the specific review thread is the perfect place to do it, even in separate posts if there's the need for clarity....
    Quote Quote:
    - C6 How do we choose the manga we are going to review?
    We should suggest ideas...but not just one...more ideas the better, and the ones that will overlap would get to be chosen...but keep an eye out for potential plot twists and interesting developments in every manga you read, and feel free to suggest them...

I think we should incorporate different demographics and types...like adding a seinen or josei into the mix from time to time, not even mentioning manhwas, webtoons etc....for example if we decide and wrap up big 3 with OP next time we do a review, then I think we should switch to a seinen title, like Gantz maybe...then we could get back and write two shounen reviews like FT or Kenichi...then a shoujo or josei....you understand my point.

Also I think there's no restriction for doing two joint reviews a time, so we can always split up in two teams, and work on different stuff.

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Googlez_kun View Post
    Well,we should have a small summary section and when I say small,then I mean very short.Most people read the chapter already,so they don't need a rehash.What you can do,or rather what some reviewers do is to mingle thoughts with a (longer) summary.

A Theory section is also a must-have.You don't need to make one every single time,as it would be plain dumb to make far-fetched and stupid theories for the sake of having some,but you can always give some food for thought.It will spark discussions and make people think.

Then you should add an Impressions section and an Art section.They often are the most interesting parts.

Also,you can add a prediction section and a poll with ratings and/or different stuff like "Did you like the color page","What is your favourite new chara design?","Which character do you want to see next?".

Most of this sounds very obvious,but I thought it should be stated anyway.
    I like the Theory one a lot, and from time to time, they go well with Predictions...so I think it should definitely be included...and a poll is almost a must in every review, with a subsequent poll discussion as well...
    Impressions are pretty much the same thing as the Final thoughts, and we can add the Impressions of each individual reviewer if he or she wants it...

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dark lord View Post
    Diversification and creativity is a must here.
    I think in the end, we should decide on huge format, let's name it the Pool of Sections...and with each chapter that we want to review, we would choose the sections that we see fit

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    Agreed here...Long summary should be divided into smaller parts....
    Quote Quote:
    One question: are we specific of doing chapters, or would we do series as well? How are we going to divide it? I think it would be a great idea to have two different teams who would cover chapters and series, so we can give more input to the community. It can get unfair if one member sticks in chapters or series team only, so a change of team members once in a while can be put in between.
    Everyone can pretty much write what they want, as many have said before, we should brainstorm then decide...the teams, if there will be teams, should be flexible...not just because one might not like a certain pick, but maybe because someone doesn't read it...

---------- Post added at 09:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

Seeing what other people posted, I think this format is pretty much acceptable

1. Review intro, credits and previous poll discussion (having some ideas about the previous poll always connects well with the actual review
    2. Small summary (connect with poll discussion and phrasing the core theme of the chapter, while presenting the chapter shortly)
    3. Long summary (expanding on the core theme and following up with ideas, commentary and witty humor etc.)
    3.1. Plot development and how the chapter fits in the overall plot
    3.2. Character development, relationships, character spotlight
    3.3. Art corner
    4. Theory, predictions.
    5. Bonus, final thoughts, impressions.

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

Please comment
    Last edited by benelori; October 08, 2011 at 01:00 PM.

21. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll read bene's post more detailed later. But here's another suggestion for the format. Or actually for the Long Summary section, or however we will call it later. Basically we choose two people for it and they both get special roles. One is a super mega tard, and the other is a super mega hater. You get it. One is only praising all the good things in this chapter/arc while the other does nothing but bashing. That's to make the review more lively...

23. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast