Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 601 by BadKarma , Gintama 515 (2)

View Poll Results: What series should we start reviewing next?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fairy Tail

2 100.00%
  • Naruto

0 0%
  • One Piece

0 0%
  • New Series (specify in post)

0 0%
New Reply
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Reviewer Alliance HQ Thread

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Reviewer Alliance HQ thread

Quote Originally Posted by alphabeta View Post
    I'll read bene's post more detailed later. But here's another suggestion for the format. Or actually for the Long Summary section, or however we will call it later. Basically we choose two people for it and they both get special roles. One is a super mega tard, and the other is a super mega hater. You get it. One is only praising all the good things in this chapter/arc while the other does nothing but bashing. That's to make the review more lively...
    That is an interesting idea...pointing out the bad stuff and the good stuff....but we still need to decide what to praise and what to criticise...

Anyway...I would incorporate this idea in the Impressions section...good impressions vs bad impressions...I think it could work

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity kdowns's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Alpha, I can Write and Review. It isn't to much of a hassle to Write the Bonus Section while writing Reviews.

Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kdowns View Post
    Alpha, I can Write and Review. It isn't to much of a hassle to Write the Bonus Section while writing Reviews.
    And every contribution, either in Joint Review, either separate ones will be very much appreciated

Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity alphabeta's Avatar
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

There's another thing. We need to know what manga the respective reviewers read so that we can have a basic understanding of what reviewers we can use for what review. Therefore I suggest that every reviewer on our team creates an account at MaL. It goes without saying that that list will have to be updated on a steadily basis, but therefore we'd always see who reads what manga. It's still better then making a discussion everytime whenever we start a new review IMO.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RaveDragon's Avatar
    Country
    Malta
    Post Thanks / Like

ALPHA IN DA HOUSE~

Boys and girls, I am proud to announce that as of now RaveDragon is also part of the Reviewer Alliance. Alongside yuki and phio she'll be writing in the Bonus Section.

WELCOME RAVE
    Thanks I'm glad to be here =D

Quote Quote:
    - Format
    [COLOR="blue"] - A1 What and how many sections should be in a review?
    The 9 sections listed above are fine although I think a short summary alone is best as a review shouldn't give too much information or maybe a combination of the short and long giving an adequately lengthened summary which would have everything a review needs to attract people to read the manga but not too much that they would feel they don't need to read it because they caught the gist of it already in the review, we need to give curiosity not too much info.

Bonus is a nice touch though, giving some pics maybe of exciting parts but not the best of the manga to attract even more attention to it and a personal note or opinion could help.

Quote Quote:
    - A3 What is the maximum amount of reviewers for every precise sections?
    There shouldn't be an overflow but backups for when a reviewer an/or writer is sick/absent due to life reasons etc or just AWOL due to comp problems to facilitate things should be considered.

Quote Quote:
    - A5 Should we make one fixated format for all reviews, or a specific one for every different manga?
    This would be nice but particularly hard to do maybe if we just did it for very popular mangas? and then had specific sections for others such as the 'Rising stars' or normal ones.

Quote Quote:
    - Content
    [ B1 If there are more than 2 reviewers working on one section, how should the section be spilled as to avoid repeats?
    Maybe the last reviewer could take it upon himself to put everything together or the selected writer for the team could be sent the material by PM and he could work on that himself and the final script should then be accepted by all of them.

Quote Quote:
    - B2 How big should be a section? How many paragraphs should it have?
    For a review i think short, so we shouldn't repeat ourselves an get to the point quickly so around 1-2 paragraphs or 3 short paragraphs.

Quote Quote:
    - B3 How much humor/jokes should we put into our review?
    Reading book reviews and such from newspapers I would say once in a while when the prospect comes or not at all. It's better if we have a good joke at the right time rather than a bad one when not needed plus we should try to avoid jokes against the chapter which tend to be cruel since for some people a certain event in the manga could be liked

Quote Quote:
    - B4 How to link the content of our respective sections? How to make the review seem more like a whole thing, and not just a bunch of text from 5 different people?
    Once again having one of the writers putting it together and cutting the unnecessary or rather the repeated and then having all the members read and judge i as a whole would help.

-
    Quote Quote:
    Organization
    [COLOR="blue"]- C1 How do we choose the reviewers who are responsible for the respective sections ?
    It's best to know what they read and if they're up to date with the manga, asking them if they and giving them options of what they could review is also a good idea with the most responsible reviewers and writers.

Quote Quote:
    - C4 Is there a way how to prevent accidentally deleting the review?
    Probably the best thing is to save it (ie the team working on it or maybe the boss) somewhere so if its deleted it can be re posted
    Quote Quote:
    - C5 How to find out, whether someone did any changes?
    Best thing is always keeping your work and then when the final reading is done what is changed can be found and can be changed back if not to the liking. I think who changes things should tell us and also give a plausible reason so not to have trouble.

Quote Quote:
    - C7 Where will we write the actual review? Google Docs or MH?
    I think it's easier to keep everything on MH

Quote Quote:
    - C8 What is the deadline for the finished Review? 48 or 72 hours?
    it depends on the day, if its in the week I'm guessing a lot of us have work and school so 72 hours would be best, weekend 48 hours should suffice.

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Reviewer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member The Underscore's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Geez, you miss out a couple of days and suddenly you're behind two and a half pages of posts .

First off, welcome to the new members of the alliance .

Second. From what I got from quickly glancing at the thread we're looking for how to organize the reviews? Might as well put it all in spoilers then . Mind you, it's just a quick set up based on what I got from glancing at the other posts here.

Format
    Spoiler show

Content
    Spoiler show

Organization
    Spoiler show
    The Underscore made his return (again)! Check out this week's review!

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

I suggest finally making decisions and not only brainstroming. For question A1 I suggest this. If everyone agrees, I'll change it to green.

0. Poll
    Once the chapter comes out a poll is chosen by team decision.

1. Review Intro
    Someone (Writer/Team Leader) writes the introduction to the actual review. Banner is posted here. No Poll results. We're constantly changing the manga we're reviewing, remember?

2. Small Summary
    Small recap of the chapter. I mean small. One paragraph. Written by one person

3. Long Summary
    The main part of the review. Always written by at least two people. The small things that people miss when reading a chapter are pointed out here. Place for the individual reviewers to tell what they think about the respective moments in the chapter. Good Reviewer, Bad Reviewer, etc.

4. Overview/Analysis
    Devided into two main sub-sections. Plot and Characters. Focuses on interpretating what the mangaka wanted to say with this chapter. Like a deep underneath the underneath analysis. Can be written by one or two people.

5. Character Spotlight
    Focuses on a single character in the chapter and his importance to the overall feeling/chapter/arc/manga. Has something of a bonus feeling. Written by one person.

6. Art Corner
    If terms like speedlines and screentones are unfamiliar and new to your lexicon then this section is not for you. Leave it to the people with more confidence. Written by one person.

7. Predictions
    Written by one person. It'll be HELL if two people try to write this together. Exception is, if one makes short term predictions and the other long term one's.

8. Bonus
    Art and Story. Can be both related and unrelated to the chapter we're reviewing. Read my stand-alone post for more info.

9. Good Bye Section
    Everyone who participated in the review says their final words commenting either the chapter or the review or the weather outside their window. It's their screentime.

---------- Post added at 12:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 AM ----------

About the Bonus Section. My plan is like this. There will be 2 types of works. The first group is the one where the content is created before the chapter comes out. That's what I meant by writing/drawing something unrelated to the chapter. You can already start doing it now, and send it to me once you finish. I'll stock it up, and once we start our next Review we'll already have a pile of pieces we can use.

The second group is the one where pieces are created after the chapter comes out. Logically, they are smaller in text/detail, but therefore they have some connection to the chapter. e.g. if the chapter were focused on Madara's mask, we could make a coloring of his mask, and a fanfic on who's hiding behind it. You get what I mean.

Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

My only observation is that the Long Summary is a bit vague as a term...that's why I suggested to break down the Long summary into multiple sections...and when stuff like Character Spotlight and Art Corner are separated from the long summary then, the long summary just becomes a lengthier version of the small summary...so it's a bit redundant IMO...not even mentioning that analysis can be done within the long summary...

But this is not really an objection...because we can definitely fine tune and rearrange content so that we can separate these sections...the objection came in, when I read this...written by only one person...reviewers who think that can contribute to the art section are welcome and encouraged to post their opinions, so that they can be incorporated into the review

---------- Post added at 12:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by RaveDragon View Post
    The 9 sections listed above are fine although I think a short summary alone is best as a review shouldn't give too much information or maybe a combination of the short and long giving an adequately lengthened summary which would have everything a review needs to attract people to read the manga but not too much that they would feel they don't need to read it because they caught the gist of it already in the review, we need to give curiosity not too much info.
    This idea really depends on what we want to do with our reviews...analyze and comment on a chapter for fans? or bringing new fans?...from my experience the readers of the review are fans, who don't want to read long summaries

---------- Post added at 12:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 AM ----------

I suggest finally making decisions and not only brainstroming. For question A1 I suggest this. If everyone agrees, I'll change it to green.
    For that we need to hear the thoughts of the others...or at least some of them...or comment on the suggestions so far

MH's Most Fashionable Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Shinsatsu's Avatar
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

This time I came here right away.
    yoroshiku onegaishimasu!

Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by benelori View Post
    My only observation is that the Long Summary is a bit vague as a term...that's why I suggested to break down the Long summary into multiple sections...and when stuff like Character Spotlight and Art Corner are separated from the long summary then, the long summary just becomes a lengthier version of the small summary...so it's a bit redundant IMO...not even mentioning that analysis can be done within the long summary...

But this is not really an objection...because we can definitely fine tune and rearrange content so that we can separate these sections...the objection came in, when I read this...written by only one person...reviewers who think that can contribute to the art section are welcome and encouraged to post their opinions, so that they can be incorporated into the review

---------- Post added at 12:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 AM ----------

This idea really depends on what we want to do with our reviews...analyze and comment on a chapter for fans? or bringing new fans?...from my experience the readers of the review are fans, who don't want to read long summaries

---------- Post added at 12:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 AM ----------

For that we need to hear the thoughts of the others...or at least some of them...or comment on the suggestions so far
    O.K. Let's hear some thoughts on how to improve the Long Summary. Truth be told, I'm actually kinda without ideas on how to change it

However, I stay by my opinion that the art section should be written by one person. To rephrase that, the one person writes this section as he sees it, and after he's done everyone else can add something on top. However that's called editing and not writing. The main part lies on that one person.

And also, I do appreciate in-depth discussion on the theory of reviews and etc, however we can't spend 10 weeks discussing this thing as well. Let's speed it up a little

---------- Post added at 05:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Shinsatsu View Post
    This time I came here right away.
    yoroshiku onegaishimasu!
    UR timezone?

MH's Most Fashionable Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Shinsatsu's Avatar
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

UR timezone?
    GMT.

Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

O.K. Let's hear some thoughts on how to improve the Long Summary. Truth be told, I'm actually kinda without ideas on how to change it

However, I stay by my opinion that the art section should be written by one person. To rephrase that, the one person writes this section as he sees it, and after he's done everyone else can add something on top. However that's called editing and not writing. The main part lies on that one person.

And also, I do appreciate in-depth discussion on the theory of reviews and etc, however we can't spend 10 weeks discussing this thing as well. Let's speed it up a little
    My improvement of the long summary was posted a few posts before, see that and tell me what you think about it...

And I don't really understand the idea with the art section...if two people want to write about art, they should and then they will merge it together....no big deal

Reviewer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member The Underscore's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's see, the review set-up... OK, here's what crossed my mind while studying it carefully .

0. Poll
    I suppose the poll will be about something in the chapter?

1. Review Intro
    Team leader writing the intro would the most obvious choice. No qualms about what alpha said here

2. Small Summary
    Exactly what I imagined it would be, I agree with this as well!

3. Long Summary
    For this part of the review, I believe we should check the chapter's content before deciding how many people we put on this. Personally I feel a third person could be added to this part of the review if the chapter has enough content. But a minimum of 2 reviewers is something I agree with.

4. Overview/Analysis
    If we are to use this as alpha suggested, I'd say we could go for 2 reviewers. One for characters, one for plot.

5. Character Spotlight
    I'm not sure whether this will work on a regular basis for these joint reviews. Let's face it, we'll be doing most reviews once a title gets interesting. Titles tend to be interesting once (one of) the main character(s) does something awesome/conclusive for the arc, meaning this character has to be put in the spotlight. Then again, we could always cover the antagonist in this section. The easiest way to work with this section would have to be one person writing it. But some discussion about the character could be fun...

6. Art Corner
    Guess this section isn't necessarily for me to cover if you put it in these terms . One person doing this part would work.

7. Predictions
    One person doing this should be enough. It's not like you can just stick to a short or long term prediction once you're doing this. Writing with two people would be a bit troublesome unless you add "what we would like to see" where two people can discuss why they would(n't) like to see something happen in the story.

8. Bonus
    So dirty limericks are good too? If only I knew how to do limericks...

9. Good Bye Section
    This, I can live with

What I (of all people) would like to know is what your thoughts are on the amount of text per section. Though this can wait for later I guess. Still (in spoiler text), here's my thought on this matter:

Spoiler show
    The Underscore made his return (again)! Check out this week's review!

17. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    The Viennese Pixie 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the overall feel to the review does not have to be serious, I mean if we review shounen manga, the weekly ones and their chapters they often have humor, let the review fit the chapter, I am not talking about any section specifically just the overall aesthetic appeal to the reader.

19. Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Funny, how this thread dies if I don't make a post from time to time

Understand the secret meaning behind these words

Anyway, the way I see it, the problem is that Long Summary the way it is now is just a long text script of the chapter. I agree, that's BS, and that's why I suggest that we simply combine Long Summary and Overview and create a new section. Like... Long Overview... O.K. we can come up with a name later >_<.

---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 PM ----------

By the way, I totally kinda forgot to remind you about this little thing called Community Awards. Today/tommorow (depending on UR timezone) is UR last chance to cast UR votes.

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 PM ----------

Also, I've done a small list of suggestions for the other questions. Tell me what you think about them.

Spoiler: A3 show

Spoiler: A5 show

---------- Post added at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

added poll.

What Manga shoud we review next? Bene, change it, please
    Last edited by alphabeta; October 13, 2011 at 04:34 AM.

New Reply
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast