Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Seinen manga for beginners

The Viennese Pixie MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Seinen manga for beginners

Seinen manga for beginners

Hello everyone to the wonderful world of seinen, it is a lovely place to come and discuss your favorite series. Some are still not sure what to read, some are not sure what seinen is and do not want to try it, well this is a thread where everyone who wants to read seinen but is not quite sure may come for a recommendation by dedicated seinen fans who have been reading them for years. They will tell you all about how they got into the genre, a very good and inspiring story about how they got into it and continued to love it. First of all I would like to recommend that when starting seinen be sure to start with Naoki Urasawa and his mangas, they are not the usual seinen mangas you would expect. They vary from the others and quite frankly I think it's a great start for any reader.

Now, here is some of the information about them and of course threads where you can discuss them:

All suggestions and recommendations by members are welcomed!
    Last edited by Josef K.; November 05, 2011 at 08:41 AM.

2. Thanks 8 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    The Original 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Seinen manga for beginners

I can propose a series or two :

1. Arakawa Under the Bridge - a good series with reasonable humor

2. Needless - I love this one. It has action and great humor. The plot isn't too complex and will be a good read for anyone stepping into the world of Seinen.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Thanks thorn! I'll add them to the first post with credits! I was actually thinking of adding a specific category for comedy seinen's, they have a special appeal from the rest. My idea was primarily to sort them out by authors, but some authors have only one manga, so I might group them with their genre.

Sain young men deserves to be with the great comedy manga. I think that when people read that or Arakawa under the bridge they will surely want to continue with comedy seinen's, which have weird comedy at times but these are always fresh and funny!

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I dunno, Arakawa never struck me as a seinen for beginners... Maybe Saint Young Men would be more like it. I found the humor in the latter to be something one could easily relate to since both characters are the most famous icons (Jesus and Buddha) trying to live a normal life.

Whereas Arakawa has a more niche and otaku feel to it like Genshiken perhaps. It's hard to get along with if you're not into the quirky humor it has.

That's just my opinion though.

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Added both of them, since they are form the same author the humor is similar, one might appeal to one group of readers the other to another, it's difficult to say. What I would say would not be appealing to beginners would be too much violence . Bakune Young has that but mixed with comedy is refreshing. Something with gore would not appeal to the readers. Comedy is fine since shounen's have a lot of it. I thought about Genshiken but it really is for long time readers, people should try it but they may not like the theme that much, it's good for laughs though.

Thanks for the insight babo!

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member barbapapa's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Genshiken is pretty popular though, and it has an anime. Definitely a good beginner's seinen as far as I'm concerned.
    As for Matsunaga, he might be a bit too "weird" for beginning readers. I mean I love him to bits, but I hardly ever recommend his stuff unless I sense the person I'm talking to is kind of an oddball himself in terms of taste.

What I'd personally recommend to budding seinen fans:
    Homunculus by Hideo Yamamoto - psychological horror
    I Am A Hero by Kengo Hanazawa - zombie apocalypse
    solanin by Inio Asano - drama
    Akira by Katsuhiro Otomo - classic cyberpunk
    Ode to Kirihito by Osamu Tezuka - classic thriller by the god of manga
    Ciguatera by Minoru Furuya - dark comedy/drama
    Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou by Hitoshi Ashinano - futuristic slice of life
    Uzumaki by Junji Ito - horror
    Vinland Saga by Makoto Yukimura - viking action
    Bambino! by Sekiya Tetsuji - cooking manga

These, I believe, all own traits that could go over well with a large audience. They're not too difficult, or abstract; and have pleasing artwork.

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought of adding Matsunaga as an "alternative" choice to new readers who are looking for something completely different in terms of known series. That "oddness" and "weirdness" might attract readers I believe. Thanks for the series I will add them later barba!

As far as large series like Vinland Saga go I think they are rare that you can recommend to someone, most known series involve a lot of gore, which VS has but not all the time. The beginning of it might hook everyone to the series.

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member barbapapa's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I read Ryuguden in 2005, when I was still mostly reading Jump manga. So for me it was definitely a way into seinen; but I always figured I was an exception in the case of Ryuguden.
    Last edited by barbapapa; October 18, 2011 at 08:04 AM.

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

A pretty interesting read, not too heavy, not too light is Hour of the mice by Toume Kei...the same with Otoyomegatari, by Kaoru Mori. The latter is quite a spectacular one.

17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barbapapa View Post
    Well I read Ryuguden in 2005, when I was still mostly reading Jump manga. So for me it was definitely a way into seinen; but I always figured I was an exception in the case of Ryuguden.
    Going from Naruto to Ryuguden might be a bit much for some

Zetman by Katsura Masakazu is a good series for readers new to seinen. Lots of action but the story is more sophisticated than the average shounen action series. Berserk too, for the same reasons but a better manga than Zetman.
    Last edited by igotthegoods; October 18, 2011 at 04:51 PM. Reason: fixed your link :)

19. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Vinland Saga definitely! Right you are, barba.

It's a very easy transition from shounen. I would say, sans the very rare breast images, that there would be no adjustment needed at all.

I don't think it's too gory at all. One Piece had its moments of battle and blood, and it's still in shounen Jump, lol.

21. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone for the suggestions! I plan to debate over which series that are certainly agreed upon by most to be put in the first post as not to overload it and confuse the new coming readers, so around 10 suggestions should do it. Those that we agree upon are best for the readers, not too much gore, not too weird or alternative but rather that have close assets with shounen, comedy and a good story.

I think Billy Bat is really nice for that and Vinland Saga, Liar Game too but it may not appeal to everyone, debating over Arakawa and Saint young men as well, so ideas?

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 AM ----------

Something of a list would be perfect like barba posted previously, it should be a well thought out one though, everyone is welcomed to check the thread for other recommendations. Though not to get the first post too crowded it may throw someone off while reading it. >.>

The Giggs MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted igotthegoods's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with most of the manga already suggested: the works of Urasawa, Berserk, Vinland Saga, Zetman, pretty much everything barba suggested, etc..

I'll also throw in Piano no Mori as a suggestion. It's a very heart-warming story and all-around great manga to read. Plus, even if it isn't an action manga, it still has that rivalry element that is somewhat expected out of a shounen. And the protagonists start off as children. I think it would make for a pretty easy transition into seinen.

24. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    The Original 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with K., I would not recommend a series full of gore to someone new to the world of seinen. Sure, if he or she has a liking for gore, I would not hesitate. Among Berserk and Vinland Saga, Berserk has darker feel. Reminds me of another series with similar aura of desperation - Wolf Guy. But I do not think it should be recommended to a beginner. Vinland Saga, on the other hand, will be ok.

26. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Gantz is what anointed me into the world of seinen though. But I wouldn't recommend it for beginners as well. It's just plain entertainment in the sick sense. That, and the anime of Berserk- those two got me into seinen.

Now that I think about it, these two choices were ruled out based on the fact that "too much gore might turn off a beginner"- but that's where I started. So what, am I like... not normal? lol.

28. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast