Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/7/14 - 7/13/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 502 by kewl0210 , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What is your opinion of gender bender?

Global Moderator 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

What is your opinion of gender bender?

If you take a look at some shoujo/josei series, for example like Kuragehime or Usotsuki Lily, you would notice that there is an element of gender bender in those titles.

Quote Originally Posted by MangaUpdates
    Gender Bender series are series with girls dressing up as guys, guys dressing up as girls.. Guys turning into girls, girls turning into guys.. I think you get the picture.
    What do you think of crossdressing characters in shoujo/josei series? Do you think it's appropriate? Do you find it uncomfortable? Or perhaps you have another opinion?

Talk it away! <3
    Last edited by phio_chan; October 05, 2011 at 05:38 AM.

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is your opinion of gender bender?

I used to not like gender-benders. Because I started with Hana Kimi, and found BL to be quite... not to my liking, lol. I still don't like BL, so if a gender-bender comes across like that, I usually don't wanna go for it.

Like in the case of Hana Kimi, sure she was really a girl. But posing as a guy, another guy fell in love with her... which meant, quite indirectly that it was BL haha. It's not that I can't stand it, )I actually finished the series) but I feel sorry for the guys and the deception.

Another one I read was My Barbaric Girlfriend that I initially started reading because I thought it was fun. It turned out to be too weird for my tastes (too sci-fi and eventually stupid, IMO) that I dropped it.

However, there was Ouran High Host Club that I really enjoyed because it had a different sense of humor- sort of like, a mockery of shoujo, if you will. Eventually though I also lost interest and dropped it- after the gag wore out and became too fluffy, the direction was lost.

I think the case of Kuragehime is different because it's all hetero-romance, hehe. I love this series because it's very well written. A bit unbelievable but there's that slight probability that it could happen. Plus, since it's josei it has a different flavor to it.

Well, in conclusion, I guess gender-bender for most cases usually is just for the gags. It's hard to pull off that the gender-bender should have a strong cohesion up to the end. Most stories fall apart and stray away from this very main plot that they constructed in the beginning. To rank, excluding Kuragehime because I think it wins above all, Hana-Kimi had higher value than Ouran, based on this criteria.

One thing though, it might be shounen but, Ranma 1/2 is by far unsurpassed too.

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I almost was surprised not to see Ranma there, right until I got to the final sentence of the post.

Truly for me, the first introduction to "gender-bender" series was via Ranma, it had a nice base and a very interesting explanation to how these occur, I am sad that gender-bender is now more viewed as "traps" and people with suspicious gender, rather the magical way it used to be defined by, literally a girl changing into a boy and a boy into a girl.
    Last edited by Josef K.; October 05, 2011 at 02:08 PM.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

in short, Josef, you like Gender Benders as long as they're magical? ^^

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

In the old anime glossary that is how I believe it was intended to be, the rise of the trap character was within the previous decade meaning it is something really new. Not that I do not like them, it's just that the meaning really shifted, I like them sometimes but truly I prefer the classics. Plus traps are not really a gender- bender, I mean the person has one gender it is just brought into question because we are not completely sure. On the other hand bending nature is when the person actually has two genders.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I never really went deep into that, but now that you mention it- so that's where the term comes from! bending nature... lol

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Hehe, indeed, nature bends, the gender bends, it turns into something else, something unnatural occurs, though the current meaning is actually within all kinds of similar story lines and plots, it's difficult to find the ones I would like since I prefer the old, in my opinion true gender bending mangas.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MattC302's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

The only gender bender manga I read is Wandering son, and it isn't your typical comedic gender bender. It's kind of a serious take on gender identity issues that young people may go through. I highly recommend it for everyone to read. Not just gender bender fans.

Also, I have a weird fetish for gender bent, One Piece fan art

Therefor, I would say that I am a fan of gender bender.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

True Wandering Son is good, but it's seinen- and as such its story writing is much more for adults. The portrayal of it is, at least with my own feeling while watching (the anime) is that it's cute because it's about young children and their "crisis" that because of their innocence don't seem like crises at all.

Genshiken, especially the second installment of the manga, has very prevalent concepts on cross dressing but again it's seinen so it has a very different approach compared to shoujo ones.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest I haven't read a gender-bender series. There are no real reasons why; I simply feel strange with the idea of having a boy as a girl and a girl as a boy. I used to have this kind of thinking: "I want to read a shoujo. What's the point in it if the lead female acts as a boy or the one I thought a female is a boy instead?". Though reading your posts above, it seems like it is not that bad. I guess I might give it a try some time soon. ^__^

Perhaps it is indeed designed as an additional element of a series, not that it would stand dominating the plot? Just for the sake of make things merrier.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    Perhaps it is indeed designed as an additional element of a series, not that it would stand dominating the plot? Just for the sake of make things merrier.
    oh it's a plot device, for sure. One that has been used for centuries. Even Shakespeare used it.

It's all personal taste- and my personal taste relies heavily on plot if not delivery.

regarding what you said, phio, does that also mean you hesitate on gender-benders because you want purely hetero romance?

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baboysai View Post
    It's all personal taste- and my personal taste relies heavily on plot if not delivery.
    Me too. With the addition of artwork.

Quote Originally Posted by baboysai View Post
    regarding what you said, phio, does that also mean you hesitate on gender-benders because you want purely hetero romance?
    It's not that I want purely hetero romance. I admit that the basic idea of romance between same sex is still new and strange for me, but I am not completely against this. I found it strange like you did with Hana Kimi. I would have thought like: "This can be done naturally, why should go to disguise as a boy/girl?". ^__^

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

do you guys think those into BL, or yuri might like gender-benders as much?

I read into some yuri but I haven't seen gender-benders that entertain this possibility, only BL ones. Wait, maybe Wandering Son had that theme explored a bit, since the cross-dressing boy was the object of his (lesbian) friend's affection? I haven't encountered anything else like it though.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

It depends on how the readers view the gender-bender-ed characters. XD Probably they wouldn't like it so much because deep inside the relationships between characters are not very real if the gender changes. But they can also love it for giving the chance of 'forbidden' love (I can't find a better word for that, lol XD) inside shoujo/josei series.

Need opinions from fans of yaoi and yuri, it seems.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

then you should invite Asclepius to join us then

New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast