Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What is your opinion of gender bender?

News Writer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Asahina's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs Up Re: What is your opinion of gender bender?

Quote Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
    Hehe, indeed, nature bends, the gender bends, it turns into something else, something unnatural occurs, though the current meaning is actually within all kinds of similar story lines and plots, it's difficult to find the ones I would like since I prefer the old, in my opinion true gender bending mangas.
    The way you were talking about nature & gender bending really moved me. It reminded me of some specific supernatural plot; earth bending, fire bending, air bending, water bending.

Anyhow, in my opinion, gender-bender in the shoujo genre is really an interesting plot device. I find it necessary when trying to introduce science, fantasy, supernatural, comedy, and adventure plots to a shoujo genre.

I've read ½ Prince. This manhua has been seen as both shoujo & shounen on a demographic scale. I loved this series not only because of the gender-bender scenario, but also because of the 'living a double life' scenario. The gender-bender character would receive conflicts on how to hide who she really is as the whole gaming world becomes inescapably infatuated by her male-elf game character. The magazine that this series is published in is considered shounen, but the way it is drawn, it's like a bi-shounen. I consider it shoujo regardless of the action that is constantly shown in this.

Another one I've read was Basara. It centers around a strong female lead. The romance is nothing I've ever read before. It's the gender-bender plot and the dynamics between the characters that make this manga stands out from the 'mainstream shoujo'. Don't let the 'old school shoujo art' clouds your judgement. I got the same impression when I first read this manga, thankfully, I kept on reading until the scenes got even more interesting.

I've also read Romeo x Juliet. Personally, I loved the anime better than the manga. The anime was airing before the manga was created, so that may be the reason. A manga is only better than an anime was the manga has its own natural plot. It felt like the manga was based on the anime. Sorta like the Solty Rei (shounen) series, where the manga was based off the anime. The gender-bender element in the story gave a more "shounen" feeling in the beginning of the anime/manga counterpart. One of the best shoujo gender-bender series I've read.

Angel Sanctuary was also my ultra fave. It was adapted to anime, so check it out! Great gender-bender series for a shoujo. Warning to younger readers of manga, this may not be for you. Themes of incest run rampant in the series and with how angels and devils are portrayed, it's very controversal to say the least. I actually didn't really understand it. Everyone looks alike, except for the main dude with short hair because he's in every scene. It's very interesting to see that the good guys may not actually be "good guys" and the bad guys may not actually BE that "bad guys." It all depends on how you view them. This manga is very dark but it's illustrations is just superb. It suits the dark and serious tone very well.

Other series like: Yukarism, Carat!, NG Life, Nephylym, Metamo Kiss, Destination Heaven Chronicles, Hana no Asukagumi!, Jewels, and Vampire Game. There are more, but these are the ones I felt that were interesting.

Mainly in all these shoujo series, the gender-bender aspect doesn't always appear to be the main concentration. I agree with baboysai that the gender-bender scenario is usually just for gags. Its sole purpose is to create more attachment for a certain character.

I think that if a shoujo manga is to have gender-bender, it should also involve scientific, supernatural, or fantasy plots in order to keep the gender-bender aspect of it balanced and unique. In shoujo, the typical gender-bender main character having a school-life and involving themselves in romance, drama, harem and tragedy - gets a little played out. In other words, it needs intense imagination in order for it to really strike home when it comes to popularity.
    Last edited by Asahina; October 10, 2011 at 04:02 PM.

|| AnimanGa News: 11/13-11/18 || .GIF Thread || Genius - Choice? ||

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    The Viennese Pixie MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is your opinion of gender bender?

Um I personally really like the Kämpfer anime it had the magic gender-bender that was lost in the old days, it kind of helped me renew my interest, although the series it self was similar to the good old days the plot was obviously a 21st century thing. :/

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Asahina, I think I'll take your word for Basara and start reading it... hehe.

I tried watching the first ep of Romeo x Juliet, and I think I also attempted to read the manga but dropped it very early in the game.

I also tried Angel Sanctuary A LOT- always attempting and never getting past ten chapters because the scans were horrible It's strongly recommended by friends here at MH (including the great Xophien) but I never really got down to it. But after your nudge, I might take it up again... if I can just stay above the bad quality scans... :/

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asahina View Post
    I think that if a shoujo manga is to have gender-bender, it should also involve scientific, supernatural, or fantasy plots in order to keep the gender-bender aspect of it balanced and unique. In shoujo, the typical gender-bender main character having a school-life and involving themselves in romance, drama, harem and tragedy - gets a little played out. In other words, it needs intense imagination in order for it to really strike home when it comes to popularity.
    Great explanation. Perhaps the reason why gender bender is not welcomed so much is because it hasn't been paired with the correct other genre? I admit it is kinda hard for me to imagine what kind of genre goes well with gender bender. You say something scientific and fantasy, but then again I haven't read any series like that so I couldn't tell yet. XD Guess I'll check it out once I have more time~

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kakashi919's Avatar
    Country
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a fan of gender bender. I just can't read it... it's kind of weird seeing a guy turn into a girl and acting like a girl being in love with another guy. I'm not saying that happens all the time, but it does sometimes. There are the ones where the guy just crossdresses and it can be an interesting manga to read, though I haven't really gotten into those either. If the gender bender stuff isn't too often, then I can actually like it, but having it too often is a no go for me.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Asclepius's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Hahahaha, i didn't know the term gender bender till i read this discussion.

I usually can't stand shoujo or close to shoujo stories (Sailor Moon trauma). But i loved Ouran. That begining of the series with Tamaki flirting with Haruhi without realizing she was a girl was so good and funny! And yes, the gender-bender fact was a plus for me. I remember describing Ouran as pseudo-shounen-ai. ^_^
    Oh the humor around Yakuza-boy and Haruhi express how i feel inside when i read yaoi:

Spoiler: girls' reaction to Haruhi and yakuza-boy meeting show

But, i don't enjoy gender-bender in the BL world. Sometimes a character has the fantasy of seeing the lover in maid clothes or girl-sailor clothes and that doesn't get my expectations high. But dressing like a cat is really cute.
    I started to remember the tail plug in Rin

Oh, i just remembered this manhwa about vampire that i tried to read. you know that WTF feeling from Twilight when the vampire started to glow gay-ly? I had the same feeling when the main character said that he became a girl after being bitten. That's probably the real gender bender thing with a guy becoming a girl for real. I can't remember the name of the manhwa right now.
    Last edited by Asclepius; October 13, 2011 at 09:05 AM.

Discuss the yaoi side of Shingeki no Kyojin and Kuroko no Basket at the Boys Love section.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted lawlett-kun's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I have absolutely no problems with gender benders. Most of gender benders I watched/read are amazing. Kuragehime, Usutsuki Lily. I think they add some spiceness and "lol" moments to the plot. I am talking about girl >boy relationship here btw. Also gender benders bring epicness to series, for example romeo x juliet haha

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Does the gender bender element last until the end of the series and play quite a role in the development of the story? Sometimes it is only a mere addition that you feel like "even without gender bender this series can be okay, even better" or something like that. :3

The Viennese Pixie MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Comedy is a key factor for a great gender-bender series! Indeed as I am reading it I am always laughing and keep rereading the interesting situations. There was once a series I read that had a supernatural aspect to it, it also had a small cute cat like thing that always made faces, I do not remember if it was a series where the character was a trap though. That was a rare one that got my attention simply because of the comedy effect. I think it had something to do with the son dressed as a daughter taking over from his mom as some sort of magical girl. Funny stuff.

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm Usotsuki Lily sounds good now that I've seen it more than three times in this thread...

Maybe I should give it a try. It sure doesn't sound like anything BL anyway...

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    Does the gender bender element last until the end of the series and play quite a role in the development of the story? Sometimes it is only a mere addition that you feel like "even without gender bender this series can be okay, even better" or something like that. :3
    well sometimes you know gender bender is a key element, like for example in romeo x juliet. Romeo fall in love with juliet but at the same time he had to fight the guy she was cross dressin into at first. But i agree with prev comments that gender benders goes well with only comedy. But doesnt gender bender bring comedy feeling to series by itself?

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Asclepius's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lawlett-kun View Post
    well sometimes you know gender bender is a key element, like for example in romeo x juliet. Romeo fall in love with juliet but at the same time he had to fight the guy she was cross dressin into at first. But i agree with prev comments that gender benders goes well with only comedy. But doesnt gender bender bring comedy feeling to series by itself?
    Not in Okane ga nai. It's a very violent yaoi with constant rape of a 18 years old guy that looks like a 12 years old girl.
    Maybe comedy was the author intention, but it didn't make me laugh or smile.

Discuss the yaoi side of Shingeki no Kyojin and Kuroko no Basket at the Boys Love section.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asclepius View Post
    Not in Okane ga nai. It's a very violent yaoi with constant rape of a 18 years old guy that looks like a 12 years old girl.
    Maybe comedy was the author intention, but it didn't make me laugh or smile.
    i am fully aware of Okane ga nai. But is it really gender bender? I mean the guy just looks like a girl and thats all. And also i stated that I was refering girl and boy relationship, wasnt talking about yaoi in this case. And btw okane ga nai is not that violent

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kakashi919's Avatar
    Country
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Post Thanks / Like

Constant raping sounds pretty violent to me.

I think the only series I enjoyed with gender bender was To Love Ru. It didn't have much of it and it didn't really go overboard. Maybe because it had so much comedy it didn't bother me so much.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kakashi919 View Post
    Constant raping sounds pretty violent to me.

I think the only series I enjoyed with gender bender was To Love Ru. It didn't have much of it and it didn't really go overboard. Maybe because it had so much comedy it didn't bother me so much.
    well it wasnt constant raping there. Just couple of time. But thats nott he point. Since i dont see okane ga ani as gender bender really. So gender bender bothers you? I think tis awesome actually and funny

New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast