Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: What is your opinion of gender bender?

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Asclepius's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is your opinion of gender bender?

It's not consented, so it is constant raping.
    I guess you forgot when the okamas in the club dressed Ayase as a maid.

Edit: he wasn't dressed as a maid, but as a nurse (Ayaya-chan=Ayase). Don't worry, no sex/naked scene in the page.
    Last edited by Asclepius; October 16, 2011 at 04:54 PM.

Discuss the yaoi side of Shingeki no Kyojin and Kuroko no Basket at the Boys Love section.

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kakashi919's Avatar
    Country
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lawlett-kun View Post
    well it wasnt constant raping there. Just couple of time. But thats nott he point. Since i dont see okane ga ani as gender bender really. So gender bender bothers you? I think tis awesome actually and funny
    Not all of them. Just the ones where the guy/girl actually turns into the opposite sex often.

News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't bother me but I don't find any enjoyment reading it.
    I dropped hourou musuko, both the manga and anime after giving it a few episodes. I couldn't really understand the stuff going on so I didn't see the point.

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Does that mean you haven't read any manga with gender bender themes except Houro Musuko? Or you've been avoiding the genre?

Why do you "not find any enjoyment" in it? Is it in bad taste for you, Zeltrax? Does it turn you off? Or something to do with Moral standing, perhaps?

I'm asking in pure curiosity, if you don't mind, so don't feel offended or anything. Consider yourself interviewed, hehe.

News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Uh.. the only one that I know is hourou. Maybe if there's one that's good, I'll pick it up
    but as far as I know, hourou is a great title but like I mentioned, it failed to keep me interested to
    continue reading although it's premise is interesting.
    It's got nothing to do with moral standing or bad taste, I don't discriminate and I believe everyone have the freedom to choose how to live.
    It's simply because it doesn't appeal to me as I don't understand what they are going through, I can't connect with the story, I know it's not hard but it's just not my thing.
    Tbh, whether it turns me off? It does at some parts but I can accept it.

However, I'm open to any good series with gender bender and I can give it a try to understand it.

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Gender bender? Well, I don't mind at all, though too many gender bender theme will make me bored of course.
    Gender bender is usually the source of comedy in anime/manga so if the scriptwriter/mangaka can weave the story well, it can make a story very funny and romantic. I know quite a lot of gender bender anime/manga, I think the very famous one is Ouran HSHC.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted lawlett-kun's Avatar
    Country
    South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yukihime03 View Post
    Gender bender? Well, I don't mind at all, though too many gender bender theme will make me bored of course.
    Gender bender is usually the source of comedy in anime/manga so if the scriptwriter/mangaka can weave the story well, it can make a story very funny and romantic. I know quite a lot of gender bender anime/manga, I think the very famous one is Ouran HSHC.
    yeah Ouran HSHC is a great example. I honestly have never felt dissapointed in the manga because of the gender bender, on the contarary I think Gender Bender add something special to romance shoujo mangas

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zeltrax View Post
    It's simply because it doesn't appeal to me as I don't understand what they are going through, I can't connect with the story, I know it's not hard but it's just not my thing.
    Interesting.

Sometimes I do find gender benders to be too shallow. Quite unbelievable, especially in this day and age. That is why if there are sci-fi or fantasy elements then it might pass easily as reasons why changing genders happens. If its due to something bizarre, chances are, the characters don't have any choice in the matter (Ex. Ranma)

Example, at first Hana Kimi's premise that she pretended to be a boy just to be in the same school as her crush (that she saw only in magazines, to boot) was definitely too contrived to me. :/

But some may be forgivable. Like Ouran, where the girl protagonist was enrolled in an all-boys school and made to act like a boy because that school was prestigious and she got in on a scholarship.

I also like the premise of Uwasa no Midori Kun because she joins an all-boys school who has the highest chances of competing against her rival (and his school) in football.

Non-fantasy gender benders should have enough believable motivation. Because really, changing into a boy or a girl REQUIRES A LOT OF EFFORT, not to mention painful and inconvenient. So the characters need to have not only conviction, but they have to have the background so we can understand why they're putting themselves up for something utterly stupid.

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah yeah, one thing I don't like about gender bender is that the other characters are quite stupid for spending a lot of time with girl-turned-boy/boy-turned-girl yet not suspecting anything. Only after a "particular accident", they will be shocked and so on. I mean, hey, take a look at his/her throat and you'll find out.

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member rudorofu's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Gender benders...It's not that I hate or dislike them, but I'd prefer not to read them because they are awfully confusing @_@ I have a hard time following who's who when the girls look so much like guys and vice versa so I just don't bother. The manga series I read should make sense to me and not make it such a trivial matter for me while I'm reading :x But that's just my personal opinion.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner moniker's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm quite a fan of Gender Bender.
    More specifically to Character/Personality traits rather than the actuality of cross-dressing.

BUT, I love FtM (Female to Male) cross-dressing type of Gender Bender.
    Maybe 'cause I can relate to FtM Gender Bender a 'lil, that's why.
    I'm slightly fond with "girly" straight guys since I think they're adorable.

I'm still wondering why I avoid some Gender Bender, though.
    There's a limitation in my preferences of choice, I guess.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member exxp's Avatar
    Country
    Bahrain
    Post Thanks / Like

I prefer the types like IS and Hourou Musuko...
    My lists: Manga&Manhwa | Anime | movies, documentary, ... | books&stuff | novels | Audios ...

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I've read Hourou Musuko up to some point since I watched the anime and kinda liked it. But it's seinen so... there is a different depth to it.

New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3