Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Chihayafuru

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Hamy's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chihayafuru

Tournament was so damn tense XD I was excited every minute of it. I really have to give props to both the manga and the anime for making something that seems so boring so exciting the way they did. Probably because this was a great match up for them since it wasn't a weak team but a visibly strong one.

I think the reason the matches worked so well is that its quite packed with ALOT of things going on yet its incredible how well it still manages to flow without seeming crammed. I have to applaud the economy of the story telling in doing something most sports series have difficulty with. Namely balancing the inner character development to the ongoing match but this show managed to find just the right balance with neither overpowering the other. More importantly it doesn't do this with just one character but the entire team, I think it helps that the characters aren't so complicated that their simplicity works to the advantage of the series contrary to what some people have written about. Chihaya and her gang might not be the most complex bunch but they certainly are solid and I think the simplicity of presentation at their characterization leads to understanding them much better without seeming flat because you can see they are constantly growing and very well defined.

But I think the highlight of this for me was ARATA!!! I'm sorry but his head tilt so that he could get a better view of the picture is just too
    Last edited by Hamy; December 13, 2011 at 10:30 PM.

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

First things first.

Arataaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa~

Quote Originally Posted by Hamy View Post
    Tournament was so damn tense XD I was excited every minute of it. I really have to give props to both the manga and the anime for making something that seems so boring so exciting the way they did. Probably because this was a great match up for them since it wasn't a weak team but a visibly strong one.
    I have to agree with this. If I think about it again, I would say that it is very strange that a game which is actually boring can be interesting in my eyes. Thinking about it karuta is not my type of game. But then again, I agree that they way it is presented -- how we get to know the players, what they feel, why they want to win, their other sides, etc. -- are very interesting. ^^

I also think that it is fascinating how one simple card game can make you see through someone's personality, getting to know them, make new friends, and perhaps even changing someone's future. ^^

Oh, Arata. Get on board right now, please.

Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Surprised this thread is pretty dead after such an exciting arc! The introduction with the queen and the match with her was spectacular in that she is basically a lady version of Arata mixed with the cuteness of Chihaya. Generally even though it was clearly going to be one sided it was great to see Chihaya manage to fight back, the difference in skill between the two were obvious but not in the sense that it was something that Chihaya could not surpass.

Moreover, the real star of the individual tournament arc was actually Taichi as he actually gets serious trying to win, with extra determination to catch up to Arata before he meets up with Chihaya. I'm pretty excited with how things will turn out from here~ Another thing I'd like to note is how great the characters are. The author just knows how to give such great quirks to her characters as well as making them quite likeable, I think the "Empress" is a good example of this.

Chihayafuru even with the onslaught from the new season still remains quite solid IMO well above its competition, I daresay even above Natsume Yuujinchou-shi.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder why, too. That being said, I didn't quit on it, at least not before I see Arata in competition once more! *shakes fist*

Surprised this thread is pretty dead after such an exciting arc! The introduction with the queen and the match with her was spectacular in that she is basically a lady version of Arata mixed with the cuteness of Chihaya. Generally even though it was clearly going to be one sided it was great to see Chihaya manage to fight back, the difference in skill between the two were obvious but not in the sense that it was something that Chihaya could not surpass.
    I agree that the Omi Jingu arc is very interesting. All team members, especially Chihaya and Taichi, with the addition of Arata, learned a lot during this competition. It was depressing but also amazing to see how Chihaya fought the Queen. The Queen is a queen, though; she is still awesome no matter what but they both have holes they need to take care of to improve their playing. I like them both, more because behind that strong mask lies also a calm, childish, yet lonely character. ^^

Moreover, the real star of the individual tournament arc was actually Taichi as he actually gets serious trying to win, with extra determination to catch up to Arata before he meets up with Chihaya. I'm pretty excited with how things will turn out from here~
    I remembered that I actually shivered when I looked at how Taichi played, concentrating that much, only to failed, and when he turned around he saw his friends crying for him instead of himself mourning over his lost. That was amazing, like, the friendship between them is that much that they do not try to console each other because everyone knows how much it hurts, but take part in sharing the hurt of losing.

Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

What a cute picture of Arata you have there, Hamy.

It is unfortunate that episode 16 is more of a summarizing episode of the previous ones. I really can't wait to see more of the characters and the plot, wondering what would be their next target or challenges ahead, or maybe we'll get to see some more Arata in return after the Omi Jingu arc. I can't wait for next week! T__T

---------- Post added February 01, 2012 at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was January 25, 2012 at 06:53 PM ----------

New episode of Chihayafuru!

My history with Taichi in this episode:

First few minutes >> Taichi, you bad boy!!!!
    Few minutes later >> Go go Taichi x Chihaya~~~
    Few seconds later >> I love tricky Taichi!
    Later again >> Tachi ganbatte with your karuta battle~~~
    Near the end >> *pats Taichi* T__T

Taichi wins this episode, really. His first action at the beginning of the episode is pure awesome!

What I really like from Chihayafuru is that it always have something else to offer and to tell us. I really didn't think that Harada-sensei would say that. It makes sense, completely. Chihaya relies on her skill so much without paying attention to other elements. Kana-chan and Desktomu-kun are a great help in this, just like how Chihaya helped them in other area. Even Taichi and that fat boy too, I like how their character are developing. Now they have goals, things are getting more interesting. ^^

The poems Kana-chan talked about in this episode made me go all .

Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Again I have to commend the economics of the way the story is told it not only gives us a chance to see how all the other characters - aside from Chihaya - actually are as players but more importantly about Karuta. I'm impressed more that the focus was given to Oe and Desk since during the team tournament they basically never had the luck of facing any player that was their level and now that they have been placed at the proper rank its clear they're actually quite exceptional and display such different ways of playing karuta. Even more is that I love how Chihaya accepted her loss in that this is something very rare in a sports manga namely an enlightening defeat, one that will help her along the way in challenging the queen.

---------- Post added February 23, 2012 at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was February 12, 2012 at 05:24 PM ----------

ARATA!!!! Just had to say it for this week's episode Definitely can't wait for the qualifiers - meaning I don't see this as ending with Chihaya facing the queen given that there are two qualifiers one for the East and one for the West. Anime hasn't deviated so lets hope it continues that way - then again mad house isn't one to create that much anime original endings and this series has generally avoided that so~ I am hoping for a second season above all else - if not go scanlation team (my qualm about scanlations is they are quick while the anime is ongoing but once it is over enthusiasm tends to die down and we wait for a long time again curses I hope groups cooperate to release the later chapters or something).

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I hated Chihaya this episode so much.
    She said she went to go to see Taichi's matches, to support him when he won or lost, yet look at what she did! With one mention of Arata's name she abandoned Taichi and went to see Arata! Goodness, I knew you like him or such, but don't leave Taichi like that after you said so~ T___T

*clears throat*

Arataaaaa~ It feels so great to see him longer in an episode. I love to see how he had grown up so much, yet with that expression and dialect the old Arata was still there. I truly can't wait for the next competition where the three of them would be reunited again!

Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't really blame Chihaya since Taichi's own fault is while he does have strong romantic feelings for her he tends to push her away each time he sees Arata - he basically slinks back thinking it is hopeless - and from there rather than taking action he tends to actually push her in Arata's direction. Though in this instance it might be somewhat easier to look past Taichi's own fault since he probably didn't want Chihaya to see him in that sorry state, he is a man after all. Which is what makes Taichi so complex its not so much the friendship or rivalry between him and Arata but the fact that he backs down far too easily and only really takes action when the other tends to be absent, he's surprisingly not very good at handling romantic competition I think. He seems to be aware of his habit and certainly wants to correct it - his resolve that he spoke to Harada-sensei indicate such - but it just tends to occur with him naturally even if he doesn't want to which is what makes him so complex an rounded as a character (again only possible because of the way Chihaya is if she were keener or more sensitive towards him he'd be far more coddled and wouldn't realize how much of a problem his habit is).

Arata's comeback was also a pleasant surprise I think for Chihaya as it really was the mark of his comeback, and in turn the possibility of playing Karuta with one another again which Chihaya's fondest wish (kinda hard to see her in a team with Taichi again since I don't see this series going past highschool but who knows XD), so her becoming engrossed in Arata was as normal as it gets.
    Last edited by Hamy; February 24, 2012 at 10:02 PM.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I know, I know. Taichi, knowing Chihaya is like that, still decided to not to hold on Chihaya and pushed her towards Arata instead. Even more after he saw Arata asking and blushing like that, I bet. It hurt him but he didn't think he had the chance, so he let go of it. I wonder what he meant by trying not to run away as he told Harada-sensei before taking the train; I hope it didn't only mean for karuta but for romance as well.

Chihaya on the other hand is too... fixated on Arata. XD As much as I understand that feelings, I had hoped that she would at least show some kind of empathy with Taichi, especially considering the reason she ignored her lessons and went to go after Taichi. Not that they needed to console each other...

Aaargh, I just want some Taichi x Chihaya sweet moments!

Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it meant both Phio - romance and Karuta - for the reason that they are both two things he may love or enjoy yet it is difficult to be the best at it much less succeed. As we know this is something that came about from his upbringing. I wouldn't really feel too badly over Taichi given how he so easily dumped his girlfriend and spent such a long time not talking to Chihaya - despite being in the same school - etc. Basically I find Taichi's inability to act decisively to downplay his endearing aspects.

As for Chihaya I'm really starting to think she may not at all be romantically interested in Arata she is fixated on him but in a way similar to how she is fixated with the queen. Namely that they are the pinnacle or the ideal of what she loves most, i.e. Karuta, so her fixation is not necessarily on the person that is Arata but Arata as he inspires her in Karuta. Which is where her obliviousness works well with the love triangle as both guys are clearly interested in Chihaya as a person.

---------- Post added March 07, 2012 at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was February 26, 2012 at 01:38 AM ----------

Are we the ONLY TWO watching this here? If so I'm vastly disappointed especially given how good the last two episodes were in really showing how good of a sports anime Chihayafuru is. The losses continue to be unexpected and very varied but one thing I'd like to add as a new praise here which has become more noticeable is the humor of the series. Its interesting how it can inject humor to diffuse the atmosphere of a scene just right when necessary without having to resort to any cheap jokes or fanservice - and this show really proves it well. Any case Chihaya's loss is quite a downer but
    Spoiler show
    so that it really does capture the idea of a loss quite well - its unexpected and depressing. Great episode as usual.

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Too bad, indeed, when this series has so many great things viewer can enjoy.

So close to the end. Episode 22 is so full of tense. I like how we see Chihaya wins and loses, how she grows up after each competition, learns new thing one by one, and eventually deepens her love for karuta. Her loss in this round was quite deep, even for me, due to what she had told herself before. She shouldn't have been too harsh on herself, but perfectly understandable. I wonder what would happen to her after this.

On the other side, looks like Taichi also found something new inside himself. Especially to stand up and meet Arata somewhere in the rounds.

---------- Post added March 15, 2012 at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was March 08, 2012 at 10:56 PM ----------

Taichiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii~ *cuddles Taichi in place of Chihaya*

Poor Taichi is just so adorable and lovely. Everything returns to him once again in the latest episode; his feelings for Chihaya and karuta, and about Arata too, in my opinion. It seems as if he has finally acknowledged that he couldn't be the person Chihaya would look on, yet he still couldn't forget her just like that. His words were so sweet and sad, waaaaah~

Too bad everyone lost. But this is a great learning experience for everyone. One of the best things I like from Chihayafuru, it doesn't push the characters to always be "positive" or "win", but because lessons can be learned from losing a match as well.

I totally can't wait to see how this would end. Would we see someone confessing to the other?

Next episode is the end, no?

Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Shinobu... I can't even bring myself to comment on her weight gain due to ice cream XD

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Chubby Shinobuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu~ Amazingly cute. And awesome. I love her sooooo muuuuuuchhhhh~

Great episode. Taichi is as awkward as usual, but I'm glad he managed to hold back too. Now he could actually control himself better after realizing that he really is that hopelessly in love with Chihaya, in my opinion. He could think better for himself and for Chihaya too. I like that part of him. Shinobu-chan's battle is very awesome. I laughed hard at how she thought her kimono is the heavy one. Amazing to see her return to the match like that.

The Master seems very formidable, can't wait to see him fight! One more episode!

---------- Post added April 04, 2012 at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was March 22, 2012 at 11:10 AM ----------

Aaaaand it's finished.

Well, I think I like the ending. I wouldn't like it if they have pushed it to see Arata, Taichi, or Chihaya go as far as challenging the Master and Queen, or perhaps even winning it. What makes the series special exactly is because it is not rushed. It takes its pace and develops the character one by one. I love how everyone seems to find their motivation and reason to keep going forward. Even the teacher! XDD

I'll miss this series. Guess it's time to check the manga. I wonder if there will be second season~

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MattC302's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

I just finished the first season of this series and I really enjoyed it. To be honest, a lot of the karuta scenes were boring and tedious to me(only the finals with Kana vs. Desktomu and Taichi vs. Porky were especially exciting for me), but I really love the characters and the subtle, romantic sub-plot with Taichi loving the oblivious Chihaya, and Chihaya possibly being in love with Arata's karuta and unknowingly loving him as a person too.

Anyway, I can't wait for season 2. Does anyone know if the manga scan storyline is ahead of the anime storyline? Does the anime even follow the manga story properly?

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2