Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Own Hatsu!

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Your Own Hatsu!

Thread is simple, just say what type of nen you would be and what type of hatsu you would have. Remember the pledge, the conditions and whether your particular ability actually requires them. Think of things which would not necessarily add to the technique but in turn would result in a stronger one due to conviction or meaning it has to you.

Based on hisoka's little analysis (which I know does not have much meaning anyways) I would think I'd be either a manipulator or a materialization user. The ability I came up would be for a materialization so I will go for that.

Hatsu: Materialization
    Name: Haven't come up with anyone.
    Materialized item: Sword.

Condition: Sword cannot actually cut things.
    Ability: Almost unbreakable (since nothing is infinite) in exchange for not being able to cut. Also, even though it does not cut the sensation of being cut is felt by whoever touches the edge. The sensation transmits into the targets body in the same direction the sword would have gone through if it could actually cut. Pain persists for around 20 seconds and starts to wear off after that.

Primarily the sword is meant to be a defensive weapon. Since it exchanges the power to kill, which is the main purpose of a sword, for durability it can defend from even the strongest attacks. Having the added effect of being able to transmit the sensation of being cut is meant to wear the enemy out mentally. Hunters are tolerant to pain however having the persistent sensation of having your arm or gut split open is bound to affect even the strongest. It appears to be a humane weapon however the amount of pain victims will go through is unreal given the circumstances. The mental state of a hunter is important while in battle however even if this weapon can't really kill by itself it will quickly deteriorate the mental state of the enemy, depending on which parts the swords comes in contact with. Ultimately, pain can kill too (imagine the sensation of having your heart or head stabbed without dying). The weapon is rather cruel but I'd rather be cruel than kill an enemy.

Not sure what type of sword I would materialize. I get the mild impression that using a sword meant to slash an enemy would be a bit of a hazard against an enemy who I would not be technically be able to kill since it would require me to be close to properly slash. For that reason I would prefer a thrusting sword which would allow me to put some distance between me and my enemy. However, a good slash would perhaps do more damage and in this particular case a larger area with the sensation of being cut. Of course this is a manga context so perhaps in the end I would just have a katana which for unexplained reasons can thrust as well as it slashes lol.

Perhaps I would need to add another condition though. I give up actual offense for resistance however I also end up taking advantage of the fact that I can't cut to get another ability. It kinda reduces the sacrifice. I don't know what else to add though.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Make your own hatsu!

The problem with your ability is that it'd allow you to say parry a Jajaken with the sword at no damage to yourself, even though this is an attack that can flat out kill an equivalent level user outright if connected. "Almost unbreakable" requires a huge risk/penalty to justify its existence in HXH since you can simply use the sword to block attacks you normally have no chance of withstanding at no penalty.

---------- Post added at 04:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

Here's one I came up with:

Predict the future with 60% accuracy via an answer to a question with a binary outcome, i.e. "Is it going to rain today?"

Restriction is can only use once a day and only on events that will happen within a week.
    Type would be special.

Now you might say this sounds a lot weaker than Neon's special, but I can use it to predict my own future, whereas Neon cannot. It's not a very good prediction, but it's still better than a random guess. The restriction is there because otherwise you can just keep on ask your question over and over and figure out what is the correct answer based on the distribution of yes/no. The time restriction is also to prevent the possibilty of flooding (1 month would give you 30 chances to ask the same question 30 times, which would reasonably allow you to determine what is the correct prediction).
    Last edited by Phantron; October 09, 2011 at 04:06 PM.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, you have to consider the sword virtually has no offensive power beyond that of a stick though. The idea is to give up all offensive power in exchange for durability.

I don't quite see the value of developing an ability to predict stuff with only 60% accuracy. Heck, if you take a guess you would generally have 50% accuracy anyways. Is it better than a random guess? Yes but the issue is that it is only marginally better and even the distribution would not necessarily ultimately help you take the best decision. It'd be better to add conditions to improve the rate significantly for the ability to be useful at all (even 80% accuracy would still be no good IMO since this will be your one hatsu). You could ad a condition that you can ask a question only once in order to improve accuracy for example (80% with only one question is better than 60% with many IMO). The problem is that even if you ask the same question 100 times there is still big chance that the answer will be wrong regardless of the distribution.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, you both guys strikes me as a different Hatsu than the ones you stated. Manipulation suits you more, I think. I thought about making a thread like this one but more like a playground: Tell the Hatsu of the one above you or something like that. It will lead after some time to develop a technique.

And some time ago I realized I change my mood too much so it's actually difficult to come up with only just one technique. Until I arrive to what I like the most, and that's tell stories. So probably my technique would be materializing a book which allows me to materialize other things. The more I tell and read about it, the more powerful the materialization is and lasts. If the ones who hear the stories likes it as well its Nen will last longer and stronger as well. The better story the better effect.
    It would be called "Book of Soul" and it has the particularly ability that given the circumstances can bring some stuff alive and with their own mind. It's always not controlled by me and only will respond according its personality. I can't read about myself and I can't change a living thing without its consent.

PS: I always end on Materialization or Transformation in the tests online that there are about Nen, but I'm guiding myself with Hsioka test...I'm actually quite nervous xD
    Last edited by Uriel; October 10, 2011 at 02:56 AM.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Host Samurai's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Where can I find Hisoka's Nen analysis? I remember that he did it once when he fought Gon in the Celestial Tower but there he only mentioned two, his and Gon's category. So I'm wondering where did you find the remaining ones?

Credits:Shinsatsu

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

According the many tests available online, I'm from the "materialization" group.

Ability Name: Exoskeleton

Explanation:
    An exoskeleton is created around the body.
    The exoskeleton is only covering the body where there are bones.
    So, basically, the exoskeleton looks like the human skeleton but around the body.

Effects:
    Extreme Enhanced strength, speed, endurance & reflexes

Condition:
    When the exoskeleton is generated, every bit of nen used must go through the Exoskeleton.

Nasty side-effects of the condition:
    - Body parts unprotected by the exoskeleton are Nen free !!!
    - Gyo (via eyes) is impossible while using the exoskeleton because there are no eyes in the exoskeleton.
    - Ryu & Ko are done via the exoskeleton only

So, it's a double-edge technique.
    Last edited by zelllogan; October 10, 2011 at 06:00 AM.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member NoFreakingWay's Avatar
    Country
    Fiji
    Post Thanks / Like

Haha, there's this really old thread from Nexgear that I used to write on that was exactly like this. I wonder why this didn't catch on here?

Here's the Hatsu for an HxH RPG character I once wrote for.

Name: Strike!
    Type: Emission

This is just a nen ball that doesn't look any different from any nen ball-like attack. However, what it does is to trap an opponent inside a Nen Dimension once the opponent gets hit with it! Just like a Pokeball!

It combines elements from Novu's Hide and Seek and any Nen-ball attack we've all seen so far.

The limitation? Well you can only infuse a Nen-ball with this technique 3 times a day! Also, you can only use this when someone has declared the intention to fight you, or decides to attack you, meaning you can't use this on anything that doesn't have the capability to attack you, like a non-living thing. But it traps any object your attacker is equipped with.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Jack Van Burace's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm having difficulty answering the tests, as I'm not always practical, but I'm usually patient and calm. Not sure if I am unique or if I'm one of the others and am not seeing it. I can't answer by myself if I am charismatic either. Usually I am able to mobilize fellow teachers and students of mine, but that might have been due to other circunstances and I was just the catalyst.

Anyway, how does everyone see me in this forum? Hard to find people that understand Nen and can say something about my personality as well. I just can't figure out my Nen type by myself. Feels biased.

Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Host Samurai View Post
    Where can I find Hisoka's Nen analysis? I remember that he did it once when he fought Gon in the Celestial Tower but there he only mentioned two, his and Gon's category. So I'm wondering where did you find the remaining ones?
    This page.
    Quote Originally Posted by zelllogan View Post
    According the many tests available online, I'm from the "materialization" group.
    Intensification or Transformation suits you more :O
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Van Burace View Post
    Anyway, how does everyone see me in this forum? Hard to find people that understand Nen and can say something about my personality as well. I just can't figure out my Nen type by myself. Feels biased.
    Emission seems the more fitting to you.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames

12. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Ty Uriel! I was able to come up with two abilities then!

#1: Radar:
    Using En expands one's aura on a perimeter around yourself. Using En and Emission, that aura perimeter can start expanding already from a good distance from the body, and then get stretched from there. Therefore, En gets a boost from Emission giving an incredible range of perception despite one's regular En size. A normal person is able to notice someone beyond sight range.

-Pros: works just like a radar with some very long-range perception, even if you're not Meryem. Also, the center of the circle can be moved and if noticed, the En doesn't reveal the user's accurate position.
    -Cons: since the aura starts expanding away from the body, it is possible that a person can hide from it very close to the user. However, it would have to be after the aura was shot at first, otherwise it would still get the enemy while moving away from the user. Also, there's the earth's curvature issue, and it requires carefull examination of information found on locations very far from yourself.

#2: Sniper:
    Just as with En and Ko, aura can be directed to expand at the tip of a finger and only there, taking the shape of a very long needle. Since this isn't transformation, it wouldn't be necessarily sharp, just very long. Using intensification the "needle" would get the added effect of being longer than usual, and using emission, it could be shot at very long distances like a spear. Using a bit of manipulation, that shot could be corrected in its path till it reaches its target, and since Nen can go through obstacles (Kurapica's judgement chain enters one's body without cutting it) the shot can reach anyone everywhere. Emission combined with Nen extension increases its range to a maximum one can wish for on this planet (one would need good manipulation skills to move the shot around the planet's curvature, when beyond the horizon).

-Pros: can kill a person without being ever found out besides with a Nen expert (and a good one, present at the exact moment).
    -Cons: since the "spear" is long, it has trouble hitting close range targets. It can be fixed by creating a new one aiming to the target, since it extends from one's body into a given direction, but its troublesome. It's also too thin to cause an area damage, so it MUST hit special areas of the body, causing internal bleeding or hard to spot damage to vital organs (causing death after a while).

These 2 abilities combined would work perfectly to deal with any kind of threat near or far, and nobody would be able to tell what hit them since the damage can be done from very far and isn't visible until its effects kick in (not immediately). However, one needs the other, as Radar isn't offensive whatsoever and Sniper needs the Radar to work. Also, both work with En and Emission mostly, while the second one is more refined as it uses a bit of Reinforcement and Manipulation as well (areas that Emission users have affinity with) to make it more effective, and doesn't require so much from them (they're just the cherry on top).
    Last edited by Jack Van Burace; October 10, 2011 at 12:34 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the guys in GI has a radar ability that seems to cover the whole island. The tutorial girl for GI also seems to have awareness over the entire island (at least the borders), and GI is way bigger than any radius that can be covered by ordinary methods (it's like 20km between just one city to another).

So I think detecting isn't very hard. The radar guy in GI seems to only able to say 'there are 3 humanoids there', but it was enough to isolate Gensuru since you know Gensuru isn't going to mangle amongst the crowds (people will run away from him at that point). Likewise the tutorial girl probably has some ability similar to motion detection, which is far below aura detection but still adequate to see if someone has entered the island.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

^Agreed. I would think it is more practical to develop an actual radar that can detect things in an area. Using emission to send a large amount of aura to a location (or leave behind a large amount of aura ) would be extremely taxing IMO. More so, the ability itself would not be very practical at all if you are not a extremely high level nen user who has enough aura around his body for it to expand great distances (there is barely any use in detecting stuff around an area of 20 meters far away right) at a far away location.

As for the sniper, it would not require neither en or ko. You would be emitting the needle from the tip of your finger so reinforcement has no relevance there (I also don't think you can reinforce nen).

I do think there is an issue of how much aura you can control at one time. Normally for nen attacks you use the aura around your body. Can you separate yourself from sufficient aura to create a reasonably large en and at the same time use aura to create and fire your shot? In a worst case scenario you are controlling twice the amount of aura you normally have around your body without mentioning you already used a huge amount of aura from the original en.

The idea in interesting however I do think it needs some work (particularly in the en radar thing). It would be more practical to have a radar which detects a particular target and once you fire your shot it would go to the target in the radar. That is dificult because as an emitter you can't really make a "real" radar but rather a nen one which would require manipulation of some sort.

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess I didn't go too far to stick with mainly emission and known Nen moves' theory. I'll try to go wilder next time.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought about this hatsu thing a little more:

Hatsu type
    Materialization

Corresponding character
    Nervous, sensitive, short temper

Hatsu Mastery: (following official HxH limitations)
    100% Materialization
    80% Transformation
    60% Manipulation & Reinforcement
    40% Emission

Ability: "Tonfa Fire"

Explanation:

The ability consist in two different things:
    - a suit
    - a "tonfa" flamethrower

The suit is either a fire suit or a casual suit:
    * The fire suit is generated using Materialization & can resist any form of fire.
    * The casual suit is just a perfect confortable casual suit generated with Materialization.

The "tonfa" flamethrower: generation of a spark plug using Materialization. The spark plug generates an electric spark used to ignite fuel. The fuel is nen made inflammable by Transformation. the nen is expulsed at high speed via a long diamond tube going from the elbow to the hand.

The complete mechanism is looking like a tonfa. The base of the tonfa is plugged in the elbow in order to emit the inflammable nen. The tonfa is unbreakable

Conditions/drawbacks:

For the fire suit:
    - in order to materialize the firesuit, you can not wear any real clothes, jewelry, glasses. So, if you are wearing other stuff than the generated casual suit, you have to strip first in order to use the fire suit. So, it is advised to use the casual suit as clothing all the time.
    - The suit is fire & heat resistant but offer no protection towards anything else.

For the tonfa flamethrower:
    - You can not use the flamethrower if the fire suit is not generated.
    - As the fuel is nen & as you only have a 40% Emission Mastery. The flame is less powerful at long range than at middle range.
    - As the nen is made inflammable via Transformation which is mastered only at 80%. 20% of the nen produced as fuel is lost.
    - Only ONE flamethrower & always connected to the same arm.
    - The tonfa itself can be used as a close-range weapon but movements are limited due to the fact that the tonfa is fixed to the elbow.
    Last edited by zelllogan; October 13, 2011 at 09:03 AM.

Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

That means that your aura is inflammable? What if someone throws a cig at you after making a tiny hole? :O You know...I would try to protect the suit instead of the Tonfa for that matters. The whole technique is more suited to Transformation that Materialization, since you can actually fight without the Tonfa and you could just make one. It lacks that special property that Materialization gives to the things created.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames

New Reply
Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast