Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Own Hatsu!

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your Own Hatsu!

It's interesting, but I think another condition should be met in order to achieve such things. You said He was a psychologist...Maybe make some notes about the patient? Make some questions about how He's feeling?
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member NoFreakingWay's Avatar
    Country
    Fiji
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter2323 View Post
    It's been a long time since anyone posted anything new. I guess it makes sense because of the hiatus and all. Was hoping someone could give me some feedback on this hatsu.

Character - Noa
    a hunter who studied psychology at university before giving it up to become a hunter. The two passions, adventure and psychology, kind of became intertwined for him.

Soothsayer/Rioter (Manipulation, Emission, Specialization?)
    The ability is a form of manipulating a person, but without them realizing that they are being manipulated (I guess it's similar to Illumi's needles).

Noa, within a 20 meter radius, can affect people's emotions and state of mind in one of two ways. The first is to reduce certain emotions they are feeling. If someone is starting to get angry with him, he can activate his ability to somewhat suppress/reduce the person's anger.

The other ability is rioting which allows him to make a person feel an emotion they are already feeling to a much stronger degree. For example, a person tells an offensive joke that people dislike, but would usually just laugh off. If the ability is activated, Noa can "riot" their emotions so they feel incredibly offended and angry.

Obviously there is a range limit, but the more important restriction is that whoever he is affecting can tell their emotions are being manipulated if the rioting or soothing is drastic. So, the technique requires a great understanding of people and how much they can be pushed without coming to the conclusion that someone is controlling them.

Just an interesting, non-combat ability that I thought would be kind of neat. Any thoughts?

Soothsayer/Rioter

The ability needs an 'anchor', something other than Nen that will link the user to the target so that control can be initiated and maintained.

Illumi's anchor was his needles.
    Shalnark's anchor was his antennas.
    Veize's anchor was her kiss.
    Senritsu's anchor was her music.

This ability definitely needs one. Maybe extremely effective words of goading would do.

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    China
    Post Thanks / Like

I know that it should have an anchor, but each of those gives them complete control over their opponent. This ability is much more subtle and can be broken very easily if the target realizes someone is messing with their emotions. If people still think it is necessary, maybe something like noting down certain body language or behavior issues, or skin to skin contact (with some type of keyword) could act as the connection.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member NoFreakingWay's Avatar
    Country
    Fiji
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter2323 View Post
    I know that it should have an anchor, but each of those gives them complete control over their opponent. This ability is much more subtle and can be broken very easily if the target realizes someone is messing with their emotions. If people still think it is necessary, maybe something like noting down certain body language or behavior issues, or skin to skin contact (with some type of keyword) could act as the connection.
    Or keep it that way, and make it stronger with other conditions.

Here's a suggestion: copy Nefelpitou's "levelling" puppets. Whenever the puppet's opponent (Kaito) fulfilled some conditions it became better.

So, for Soothsayer/Rioter, I suggest you make it so that the ability levels up every time some conditions get fulfilled. Note that the conditions shouldn't allow you to immediately skip to the higher levels.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Tame's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

It's been a while but I've just caught up on the HxH anime again so it's got me thinking about new abilities. Here's one:

Name: Sleeper Agent: Please to meet you (Not sure about the name.)
    Type(s): Manipulation primarily, Emission
    Details: The user activates the ability by shaking hands with the target and saying "Pleased to meet you". At that point the target becomes a Sleeper Agent. They are unaware that they are a Sleeper Agent, and unaware of the spell they have had cast upon them. They'll just go about their business as they would usually.

If the user says they words "Good to see you again" and a Sleeper Agent hears them, they become an Active Agent. Whilst Active, Agents will follow all commands the user gives them and respond truthfully to any questions the user gives them. They still retain all knowledge they had prior to becoming Active and they maintain a degree of autonomy insofar as it helps them carry out the user's commands. For example, if the user gives an Active Agent the command "Go to your office", the Active Agent will go to their office, even if the user doesn't know where their office is or how to get there; iIf the Active Agent needs to show I.D. to anyone to get to their office, they will do so at the appropriate time and place, just as they would do normally.

If the user says the words "Until next time" and an Active Agent hears them, they become a Sleeper Agent again. Sleeper Agents have no conscious memory of what they do whilst Active.

Once an Agent has spent a total of three hours Active (either in one go or split over several periods), they are released from the Manipulation. After that, if the user wishes to Manipulate them again, they have to fulfil the initial activation conditions once more.

The user may have no more than three Agents (Sleeper or Active) at any one time.

The user can release Agents from the Manipulation at any time.

Commentary: The three-hour limit is the key part of this Hatsu; the time goes down continuously as long as an Agent is Active, but the time stops when they become a Sleeper Agent again. However, the time doesn't reset itself; if the user keeps them Active for, say, 20 minutes, the timer will stay paused at 2 hours 40 minutes.

As far as feedback goes, I have the following questions to any helpful people out there:
    -do you think the timer can be internal, or do you think there should be some physical counter that measures the countdown (eg. a Conjured item, or something of significane to the user, like Shalnark's phone)?
    -do you think the restrictions (the three-hour limit and the three-Agent limit) is too harsh? Too leniant? Or about right?

This Hatsu would be useful for information-gathering, spying, infiltration, stealing, that kind of thing. An intelligence agent would probably find it pretty useful.

Since an Agent only has to hear the words to activate/go to sleep you can ring them up and make them activate if its easier or more convenient to get hold of them on the phone than to meet them in person.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

For me I see it as too lenient. BUT to be honest all the Manipulation abilities seem to work as easy as that, so I wouldn't say you need to make a change.

Still, I've yet to see how a manipulation user as Shalnark or Illumi deals with other Nen users which is my main concern about your ability.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    For me I see it as too lenient. BUT to be honest all the Manipulation abilities seem to work as easy as that, so I wouldn't say you need to make a change.

Still, I've yet to see how a manipulation user as Shalnark or Illumi deals with other Nen users which is my main concern about your ability.
    You mean that their abilities aren't useful in direct combat? Well I suppose Shalnark only has avoid taking serious damage for long enough to get close and stick his antenna in, as he said when he fought that Chimera Ant. As for Illumi's pins can he do the same? I can't remember if his ability works on other nen users. But I agree; they're not as combat-oriented as other abilities.

As for this ability, it's even less combat-oriented; no opponent's gonna shake your hand before or during a battle. The only way it could potentially be useful in battle is if you have an Agent nearby whom you can activate and have fight alongside you. And that's not likely to happen often.

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot to mention, but if I was in the Hunter x Hunter 'verse and I turned out to be a Manipulator and I chose this as my Hatsu, I'd put a restriction on it that it can't be used on women.

Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Not exactly that...You see, the direct control of someone is kinda weird even in HxH world. It's not about the limitation on the objectives (Which is unneeded as I said, the technique woul work in the HxHverse without problems) but what it causes in the others.

Rephrasing:
    Shalnark manipulates movement, not consciousness. Illumi manipulates everything, but the damage on the brain done can't be undone. The person affected loses his free will for ever.

In your case it's weird that their free will is paused and then back to normal as nothing. And some brain damage must be done or at least to not cause it a different trigger a bit more complicate. Am I being clear?
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah, I see what you mean. Hmm, I'd cite Veze's ability then. Her ability makes the target her willing slave; that is, they obey her every command but retain consciousness and a degree of lucidity. Once the manipulation ends there is no permanent damage. This ability would be similar to that.

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

hello, first post here! I only read through the first like 5 pages and wanted to share my ideas!

i would really want to be transmutation but if i was materialization that would be cool too, i mean having any sort of nen would be kickass, lol
    if transformation then i would make my aura like that of water/a fluid, then this would be my first technique

Hatsu: Transformation
    Name: Mizukou
    explanation: Can make "boxes of water" out of my aura and can use In to hide them from sight (but not gyo). Say a person was chasing you and you made one of these, when the person ran into it they would be slowed down considerably. They would not drown (but you will **see conditions), since it would just be aura, not actually water (NOT materialization), there would just be some confusion and slowness. Can also be used to block projectiles (physical and nen, since its made of nen) because of the increased drag coefficient, for example, if killua's yoyo were coming at me, i would create a water box, and it would "splash" (splash can be seen with gyo!) into the box and slow down and ultimately stop, depending on how viscous the water box i made was (viscosity is proportional to the amount of aura put in).
    If gyo is used, i think it would look like in some of the levels in Kirby games there is floating water boxes.
    Can also be used to swim in. If stuck at the bottom of a pit or something I would create very tall but slim box and swim upwards to get back up

Conditions: (since its not directly a combat ability, they arent that strict)
    the box is immovable
    will get less viscous the further away for you it is
    You are the only one capable of drowning in it, therefore you gotta hold your breath like you would while normally swimming (this is to prevent creating a giant box around oneself and being like f*** you im in a box forever, and using another ability to keep them out)
    must be in a box shape (technically rectangular prism)
    Only lasts certain amount of time, or until cancelled

Hatsu: Tranformation & manipulation
    Name: ryuudou
    explanation: using manipulation nen, I can create flow in the water boxes (and if its manipulation nen id think normal water too, but to a lesser extent)
    Mainly used to assist in repelling things or people or nen projectiles. If the flow is calculated right, when a projectile enters the box, it could follow the fluid flow and shoot out, so it can be semi offensive
    Conditions:
    not really a condition but a little knowledge of fluid mechanics would be good to know here, sometimes fluids dont act the you think
    using this decreases the water box's time, so the more powerful the flow the less time the box will stay

If i was materialization, then...

Hatsu: Materialization
    Name: Tin Can Cellphone
    Explanation: Its literally a tin can telephone, lol. The cans are more like iron can-shaped weights, and where the open hole is, there is a mouth (the mouth is the thing that speaks to the person), and the string is some kind of strong/sharp metal string.
    You say "Call [person's name]" and pay with a few drops of blood into the mouth or can say "Collect Call [person's name]" and to accept the other person will have to pay the blood, either way the other end will jump (im thinking through space, but im not sure if thats too powerful for only a few drops of blood) to the person and will appear in front of them and they will pick it up and if it was collect, the mouth will say what phones normally say when theres a collect call. Then you can talk like a call phone (im wondering if you should also be able to put stuff in the mouth and it be barfed out of the other end, might require a bigger condition even though it will only be small stuff, like id say the biggest thing would be a softball)
    When in the middle of a call, the wire will be going through a different space like knov's ability but only the string can go through (so it cant be cut).
    Like deme-chan, it can be used as a weapon, the cans will be relatively heavy and the string is strong enough so that it can be thrown around like a sickle and chain.
    The string will be sharp enough so that it can cut people, like in Mortal Kombat (new one) sonya's fatality where she decapitates the enemy.
    *If the person does not pick up, i think you should get the blood back (just like a pay phone)

Conditions:
    The person you are calling has to have been bitten by the phone (doesnt have to be a hard bite, just to give the phone a taste of the nen so it can find the person)
    Blood payment
    maybe there should be another requirement on this, idk

I think the phone should get a name, like deme-chan has a name, but idk what it should be

thoughts?
    Last edited by heehoo10; August 08, 2012 at 03:01 PM.

Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!
    The transmutation one is good, although the property of the aura is viscosity and the shape of box is already a limitation. How to say it...You're over-thinking it.

The other one works well, although it has many counters.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I wanted it to be more about the water, but it ended up being more about the viscosity, but i wanted water, cuz i would be carrying a taser and would zap the water box that the opponent was currently in. I dont think the box shape is a limitation at all, the main limitation is that its immobile, but the drowning condition just goes to make it stronger .
    Quote Quote:
    The other one works well, although it has many counters.
    Which one are you talking about, ryuudou or tin can cellphone? and what do you mean by counters?

And another ability would be based off the first ability being water...
    hatsu: transformation & emission
    Name: toketsu
    details: "Freezes" a water box, making the black take on the charicteristics of ice and when touched with emmision aura on a certain side it will move in the opposite sides direction (push from the back it goes forward, push on the left side, it goes right), and it will move however fast it was pushed/how much aura was put in. The amount of aura needed to push is proportional to the volume of the box, and the speed of the box is inversly proportional to the volume of the box
    So firing a bunch of little ones will have very fast "bullets" but a bigger one will move slower and take more aura, and a box that is reall big will not move much all and will take up most of your aura. If they hit something so hard that they shatter, then they will release a burst of cold aproximately 1.5x the volume but in spherical form. The bullets should shatter all the time cause of their speed, bigger blocks can either be set as traps or will need a lot of aura to get that high speed, but they will create a big burst of cold

conditions: May only move in 6 directions (on for each side of the box, remember that these boxes dont move so they cant change their orientation)
    if a person is in a block it cannot be moved, but if an object/nen is in the block it is fine

heres one if i were reinforcment:
    hatsu: reinforcement
    name: ganjoutsume
    details: reinforces fingernails, kinda like killua did without nen, but this will be with nen so itll probably be sharper than that. the strength of the nail will be proportional to its length. Even with ryu, it would still be very strong, but with ko, it would be insane
    condition:
    must have decent nail size
    if a nail is broken then the hatsu isnt usable until the nail is brough back to normal condition
    Last edited by heehoo10; August 08, 2012 at 08:21 PM.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Hiya, welcome!

I like Mizoku, though you wouldn't be able to use it at very long distances, but as long as you know that that's cool. Also it might take a fair amount of nen to Transmute it, compared to say Bungee Gum or Killua's electricity, since the sizes of the substances they transmute (and therefore the amount of transmuting their doing) are much smaller. Nevertheless, a cool ability that I think would work.

I don't know much about water flow and such but I don't think manipulating the flow of the water would do that much more than the water's doing already. Plus with only 40% Manipulation I don't think there's not a whole lot you could do with it.

I really like Tin can Cellphone!

I think a few drops of blood is fine as a condition, but I don't think there's much point in getting it back if the other person doesn't answer (what you gonna do with a few drops of blood anyway? :P). My only query is, what differentiates it from a normal cell phone apart from its ability to be summoned at will out of thin air?

Another ability I've come up with.

Name: Haven't thought of one yet. :P
    Type: Emission
    Details: The user places a marking made of nen (like a tatoo) on an object or person (if a person, then that person must consent).
    The user then puts an identical or corresponding marking on their own body.
    By passing nen through the marking on their body, the user can teleport the object or person with the corresponding marking to their location.

The user must build up nen (through Gyo/Ko) in the marking until there is enough to teleport the object. Once enough has built up, the object will teleport to them and the nen used will be spent. The markings also fade (so the user has to create another one if he wishes to teleport the object again).

The larger the object, the more nen is needed to teleport it.

People with markings can also summon the user. To do so they must pass nen through their marking. The user's corresponding marking will then flash, indicating that they are being called. They can then build up nen through a flashing marking to teleport themself to the location of the person who is summoning them.

As I envision it, the user doesn't have a limit to the number of markings he can make, or if he does, its quite high.

My major concern for this is the question of over what distance the teleporting could be done? Metres, miles, what do you guys think?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Benefits of tin can cellphone vs normal cellphone, no dropped calls! (Fuck you AT&T!!!! lol) you can put a small object in one mouth and it gets barfed out the other end, and its untapable/untraceable, and in the dark continent theres probably no signal. Also every drop of blood counts in a fight, that could be life or death lol. Also that was the biggest issue with mizukou, the aura efficiency. A giant block of aura would be use a lot of aura, but thats why i wanted the drowning condition, so it would be balanced that it can be done with less aura

I like the teleportation idea, but i feel like the tattoo should be done in blood and nen, like its a space jumping nen, so its pretty powerful, so a little blood condition would balance it out

Hatsu: transformation & reinforcment
    Name:
    details: first one shapes the water aura into a thick disk on one's palm then spins it around pretty fast (not sure if this can be done, but i imagine it would be like doing the aura numbers which is transmutation training, but faster), then simply do a palm strike with the disk, i think one would have to reinforce one's hand to be safe, and if its possible, reinforce the disc for extra strength. Now that i think about it its kinda like rasengan but its flat. But depending on how big the disc you made was and how hard you struck the person will go spinning away
    Last edited by heehoo10; August 09, 2012 at 10:38 AM.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

You're obssesed with blood! :P I don't think every drop of blood does count in a fight. But whatever, no harm in using blood to form the marking as well as nen.

I really like the teleportation aspect of the Tin Can Phone, but would it be feasible? Teleportation involves Emission, which is only at 40% if you're a Conjurer.

New Reply
Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast